Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Camp stove butane strikers - 10/31/12
Does anyone make one that will work above about 5000'? I've tried Brunton, Scripto, Bic, and a couple others. All work fine at home but as soon as we get above 5k, they won't light.

I sure miss the old flint strikers. I still have an old one but I haven't been able to find flints for it in years. Maybe a gas welder striker would work.
The Scripto with a head like a mini torch (multiple ports) is the best one I've used. Other than that ... ???

A plain flint striker should work ... I've thought about getting one of those too. I'm curious to see what other have to say.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Camp stove butane strikers - 10/31/12
hmmm I use them here and at 7000'.. no worky at 9000' though. flints can be found at smoke shops and hardware stores here.
Posted By: KC Re: Camp stove butane strikers - 10/31/12

I just use matches.

KC

Posted By: eh76 Re: Camp stove butane strikers - 10/31/12
Originally Posted by KC

I just use matches.

KC

dinosaur smile
Posted By: Scott F Re: Camp stove butane strikers - 10/31/12
BlastMatch?
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by KC

I just use matches.

KC

dinosaur smile

Another dinosaur here... grin

Ed
MSR white gas stove w/ flint works well up to around 12000 and don't forget the zippo! (put some electrical tape around it to seal it and keep the fuel from evaporating.)
Try this.

http://tisurvival.com/products/exo-flame/

Originally Posted by Fubarski

Neat, the way the fellow's using his TIG torch to "colorize" em'

.....glad I don't have to machine those bastids, though.

GTC
Originally Posted by Fubarski

So basically this is a $100 Zippo, right?
Posted By: rifle Re: Camp stove butane strikers - 10/31/12
Good to know,as I have no problems here at 500'.....
plenty of thick air
My old camp trailer has a catalytic heater. It works great for heat but in real cold weather we have to run it on low 24 hrs a day to keep the water from freezing. After a couple days of that, we have water running down the walls. Luckily, in this area hunting season is generally over before it gets that cold and it's a dry climate so this has only been the case once or twice in recent years.

I just found a Coghlan piezo striker that I might try. It's basically a butane striker without the butane. It just puts out a spark. Theoretically, it would work just like a flint striker.
© 24hourcampfire