Home

I have finally decided to get some scope covers, but I don't want to get junkers, what is best???
Does anyone make them other than Butler Creek? Hell, I've even got one on my UniFlow...
I'm fond of the Leupold ones for my Leupold scopes. Otherwise, it's Butler Creek for me.

Ed
I'm a huge fan of the Leupold Alumina screw in type for the vx2/3 scopes. Love the clean lines. A bit pricey, but I think they look better than the traditional plastic and rubber types. It doesn't hurt either that I'm a Leupold fan. However, it would be great to see other scope manufacturers do the same.

As for non factory, Butler Creek make some nice ones.
Be careful of the Butler Creek Blizzard see-thru ones. The optical quality since they moved production to China has been horrible. Unusable in my experience. YMMV.
Doesn't make sense to me to pay good money for a good scope with good glass.....and then look through it via a cheap piece of plastic! I use the bikini scope covers, and then just take it off when necessary.
Leupold Alumina Flip Back are the best I've seen, but fit only Leupy scopes and they're pricey.

DF
I looked at some and there were at least 3 different kinds. I would never use a see through cover to shoot, I am just interested in a good durable flip up cover that works over and over...
Butler Creek, non see thru models, works great, cheap, and you can find them anywhere
Bad thing about the ones that fit real good is that they can trap moisture, therefore fogging the outside of the scope lens.
Originally Posted by antlers
Doesn't make sense to me to pay good money for a good scope with good glass.....and then look through it via a cheap piece of plastic! I use the bikini scope covers, and then just take it off when necessary.

Agreed! 100%

+1

I've largely gone away from flip ups, especially on hard-kicking guns. If you get careless or crowd the scope their added length and/or the hinge can bite you. You can forget to pop the covers open when they should be. The open covers can snag on brush. I used them for years, but there are just too many drawbacks compared to the slip-on neoprene covers. They're all I use now.

+2.

I like the bikini covers because you can get them off real quick and don't have to mess with flipping the individual scope covers.

They're lightweight, fit all objective sizes and are extremely economical. I've had Butler Creek and Leupy's and definitely prefer the bikini.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I have finally decided to get some scope covers, but I don't want to get junkers, what is best???

Best for what?

Leupold Aluminas are classy as heck but only fit newer Leup's. They worked well in the all-day drizzle for me on 2.5-8's. The price will shock you.

Swaro has a proprietary one that I've not used.

On my Conquests and Swarovski and older Leup's I use Butler Creeks. They are cheap, not classy, not hard to break, but do usually keep lenses dry in a drizzle. And they are cheap. And available. And cheap. I'll be buying another objective one for my Swaro 3-10 as I just broke another one elk hunting.

I use pieces of inner tubes.
+1 on BC non see-through flip-ups.

Nothing not to like.
Originally Posted by NathanL

I would love to see that on Shrap's quiver of Sakos. grin

^ This ^

I don't use 'em, period..

I don't know why scope makers don't have, as an accessory, a screw-on hood similar to large camera lenses.. Those would keep the elements at bay while ensuring no deterioration in glass quality..

But, whatever.. I've hunted in inclement weather in NW Wisconsin many years; rain, snow, you-name-it and I've been in it.. never needed scope covers..
I have a set of Butler Creeks without the plastic lens. At least I have a front one. I took off the rear one when I got busted in the eye since it sticks back an inch behind the scope. When carrying the rifle slung over my shoulder, the rear one isn't needed anyway.
The front one does give good protection and it's very easy to use in the field. However, it will trap moisture and a little fogging on the front scope lens is very possible on a wet day. I've considered drilling a couple small holes in the side to let it breathe but I don't know if that would solve it without killing the reason for the cover in the 1st place.
Butler Creek.

Travis
Originally Posted by NathanL

Now, if those came from Leupold, they'd be perfect!
Originally Posted by slymule
Butler Creek, non see thru models, works great, cheap, and you can find them anywhere

I tried them three times. The front cover was gone by the end of the day on all three occasions. Might work OK in the prairies but can't handle brush at all. It bikini or nothing for me. Haven't tried the alumina ones as not all my scopes are Leuplods.

The older Butler Creeks are a lot better than the new ones, but I still have had good luck with the new ones as well.

It's second nature for me to flip my both pieces up as I shoulder a rifle and having them on has helped me on more than one occasion during rain/snow.

Another kudos on the Leupold ones, wish more manufactures would do something similar.
Saran wrap might work good. whistle
Inner tube loops if you can find an inner tube.
Scope Coats or Bikinis next....
A piece of toilet paper or paper towel in the scope lense when I sit down.
On the toilet?
Another recommendation for Butler Creek. I've used them on a dozen scopes for lots of years and only had one to break. Dust is a real problem in West Texas and you need to keep it off of your lenses.
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I'm fond of the Leupold ones for my Leupold scopes. Otherwise, it's Butler Creek for me.

Ed

+1

While not cheap the Leupold flip ups are top notch!
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by slymule

I tried them three times. The front cover was gone by the end of the day on all three occasions. Might work OK in the prairies but can't handle brush at all. It bikini or nothing for me. Haven't tried the alumina ones as not all my scopes are Leuplods.

"Experience" like that,routinely cracks me the [bleep] up. Appreciate the chuckle.

If only for conversation and a dose of Reality,less any sugar coating.

RINK
Butler Creek non-see thru model. Throw a wrap of electrical tape around each one and go. I've only broken two of them in 20 years of using them and I've lost one prior to taping them. I have had a couple of instances of fogged lenses, but it has been rare. Can't go wrong with them IMHO. They are quick to open/close, leave them open if it's nice out, close them and pop open prior to a shot if it's snowing/raining, can't forget them or lose them, if they do break you're only out a few bucks.
I tried the plastic ones, didn't like them all that much. I want a pair of the Leupold's but am too cheap to pop for them.

I use the bikini covers on all of my rifles and think they are quicker to remove than the flip caps. I have lost a few of them though, when they go zinging off into the brush while your watching what your about to shoot.
The see through models are fine. The see through is not for normal shooting but if you have a close shot in good daylight they will get you by if the game might hear you open them.

I have lots of Butler Creeks but am slowly changing to Scope Coats or similar. The BC's are not durable and are noisy on the objective end. Even if you open them slowly there is still the pop. I would like the objective end to have a sturdier hinge. To tighten up the fit when they are too loose, use rubber tape so there is no residue. (Self Fusing Silicon tape)
I used Butler Creeks for years and liked them well enough but always seemed to have issues with the pins sliding out of the cover. Broke a few over the years too so I was offered a new neoprene scope cover to try.

I used it last year quite a bit and actually like it much better than the BC caps. Pops off easily and slides right back on when your done shooting.

http://www.scopeshieldalaska.com/
I am amazed that the Pentagon doesn't come here more often to take advantage of all this wisdom. al qaeda would be defeated in a matter of hours with the combined knowledge displayed here on the "Campfire".

I just want flip up scope covers to protect the lenses from snow/rain/debris. I can't imagine planning on looking through the scope covers for shooting and then to think an inner tube or bikini cover is faster or better to get a rifle into shooting position doesn't make sense.

It sounds like Butler Creek may be the way to go, I am only looking at doing it on my most foul weather gun,

Thanks for the help. I guess Travis is right again...
Depends on the weather where I'm sitting.
Shrapnel, having used both I assure you that a bikini cover comes off just as fast as flipping the lever on two scope caps. They protect the lens from weather quite well too.

If scope caps are what you have to have then put them on Leupold scopes as theys are the best ones I have seen.
Originally Posted by stantdm
Shrapnel, having used both I assure you that a bikini cover comes off just as fast as flipping the lever on two scope caps. They protect the lens from weather quite well too.

If scope caps are what you have to have then put them on Leupold scopes as theys are the best ones I have seen.

I have a bikini cover, but figured they were something I would get lost in the excitement of shooting. I am not as seasoned as most on the Campfire, and I could lose the bikini...
Not if it's attached to the rifle like the Scope Shield of Alaska covers do.
Got a bunch of Butler Creek covers...but my favorite is the Leupold screw in covers...by a mile.
Originally Posted by old_willys

Ed

+1

While not cheap the Leupold flip ups are top notch!

they're great, but at $130 a pair pretty dear.
I use Butler Creeks. But I have had some break while navigating thickets. Never tried the slip covers. The intertube idea might be worth a shot too.
Will they fit a Swarovski Z-6 3-18X50 scope???
RINK

One moron begats another.

I do like those BC scope covers though. They never fail me on the couch.

Poor reading comprehension...
Originally Posted by stantdm

I have a bikini cover, but figured they were something I would get lost in the excitement of shooting. I am not as seasoned as most on the Campfire, and I could lose the bikini...

In fair weather, just take 'em off when you uncase the gun. In foul weather, just stuff the darn things in your pocket when you're ready to shoot. Seriously... it's not that difficult, and removing them can be just as fast, if not faster, than manipulating the flip ups.

Uncle Mike's QD Scope Covers, formerly known as Storm Queen scope covers, formerly known as Storm King scope covers. Alas, they don't make 'em anymore.

But I got a source.......

And I don't care how much Stick's boy tosses that scope around the back yard, those Push Button Yuppie Flippie Uppie scope covers do fail to open on occasion--more than once I've spent time at camp trying to get a client's BC covers to operate reliably.

Maybe it's the airline handlers or sumthin'.......

Casey
It's a fricken hinge! It's either broken or it works... Not much to it. Christ, this isn't rocket science.
For what it's worth, I like the see through Weaver Polar Caps with the polarized lenses...

Phil
No way in the world can you get a bikini cover off as fast as flipping up the butler creek covers, it's a part of raising the rifle by the time it's on my shoulder they are open, the bikini covers you have to pull it forward from the front of the scope and pull back from the eyepiece, you don't have to move your hands from a shooting position with the butler creek covers
I've put butler creek non see-thru flip ups on everything for years.
Another secret is you can take them on and off...grin

I have covers on all 6 of my rifles. Shrapnel probably has lost more rifles than I own.....

I was walking around opening weeked and got into deer so I just took them off for the rest of the day. Decent weather so why not.

Worst is having them on a truck gun and jumping a yote and first look is black lense covers.

DOH!
I've run BC flips on all my scopes-never a prob. Occasionally, when riding over my shoulder against my pack the front might flip open but it aint the cover's fault. And, yeah, +1 to the poster who said they (BC) are way faster than a bikini when operated correctly. The only thing I want a bikini on is my woman--and even then I prefer it off!

The Leupy screw in Aluminas ARE really nice but too expensive. I got some in a great deal on my fixed 3x from a member here.

Chris

Ed

+1 the Leupys are very nice. I've about 3-4 pairs of them. I have a lot more BCs though.....
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Uncle Mike's QD Scope Covers, formerly known as Storm Queen scope covers, formerly known as Storm King scope covers. Alas, they don't make 'em anymore.

But I got a source.......

Casey

Probably my favorite as well, but the Leupold's are great where appropriate.
I'm just glad shrapnel gave me kudos. I'm gonna print off that post and frame it.

Travis
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Worst is having them on a truck gun and jumping a yote and first look is black lense covers.
DOH!

Rookies take their kids to the range.

Professionals have them practice window roll down, and Butler Creek opening drills in the driveway.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
I'm just glad shrapnel gave me kudos.

Sounds painful. Is it contagious?
Originally Posted by levrluvr
Originally Posted by deflave
I'm just glad shrapnel gave me kudos.

Sounds painful. Is it contagious?

Nothing penicillin can't cure.

Travis
Originally Posted by msuhunter
No way in the world can you get a bikini cover off as fast as flipping up the butler creek covers, it's a part of raising the rifle by the time it's on my shoulder they are open, the bikini covers you have to pull it forward from the front of the scope and pull back from the eyepiece, you don't have to move your hands from a shooting position with the butler creek covers

Your taking the bikini covers off wrong. You just pull the eyepiece end back and shoot it off like a rubber band gun. smile
i USED butler creek years ago, worked well .... the ones i got the last few years are ending up in the bottom of the gun boot/case to many times for me frown ...i'm lookin for something else.
© 24hourcampfire