Home
Sad news, stoners. Scientists in Israel have cross-bred a new type of medical marijuana that essentially removes the dopey, high-inducing properties from it � basically, it's pot that won't get you stoned. Researchers with Tikun Olam have meticulously cross-bred their medical pot to eliminate most of the psychoactive THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) properties from it; instead, the cannabis has a high concentration of cannabidiol (CBD), a potent anti-inflammatory. The result is a substance that's great for woozy-free pain relief, terrible for stoners trying to get high.
Darn. You know if they are messing with whiskey?
This will put the mesican cartels plumb outa business grin
The stoners equivolent of Near Beer. Will never sell that stuff in the dispenceries!

Israel wasted their time.
They could harvest all they want around here with no thc and high cbd count.

We call it hemp.
It's very abundant.

Smoke the whole field and it won't get ya high. Just ask the hippies from the 70's who used to show up every fall and collect pickup loads to haul back to California thinking they're gonna be rich.
Well, on second thought, probably can't ask 'em. I reckon they had their throats cut shortly after the first sale.

grin

If that stuff ever "grows any legs," it'll sure separate the wheat from the chaff in the blink of an eye, won't it?
It has to be great news for those using mj as a medicine. They won't have to hide it from their children any longer grin
Too bad stoners!! laugh
Sounds like "medicine". Cool!

I'll add that there ain't one thing wrong with a medicine that gets you high, for some circumstances. It's kind of the whole point of many of the major painkillers.

My good friend who kicked a few years ago from esophagus cancer smoked to get high while dying. Helped him with the pain, nausea, appetite, and getting his head right to match the impending circumstances. Or so he said. Not really my place to argue.
Meanwhile there are likely 1000 more growers engaged in fortifying the components needed for a high.
Never tried "the weed", nor am I inclined to smoke anything, but some days I'd be willing to give the non-THC stuff a whirl in order to walk without pain. smile
Well, the stoners will have to switch to booze. That's the common path a good portion take when they can't get weed anymore.
Low THC marijuana has been gown in the PAC NW for several yeas and is being used for medical purposes.
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Never tried "the weed", nor am I inclined to smoke anything, but some days I'd be willing to give the non-THC stuff a whirl in order to walk without pain. smile

Use the good stuff - you can fly!
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Sad news, stoners. Scientists in Israel have cross-bred a new type of medical marijuana that essentially removes the dopey, high-inducing properties from it � basically, it's pot that won't get you stoned. Researchers with Tikun Olam have meticulously cross-bred their medical pot to eliminate most of the psychoactive THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) properties from it; instead, the cannabis has a high concentration of cannabidiol (CBD), a potent anti-inflammatory. The result is a substance that's great for woozy-free pain relief, terrible for stoners trying to get high.

It's not unusual to find volunteer hemp growing in areas where it used to be raised for rope.

Anybody who has smoked any realizes that THC free Marijuana has existed for quite some time.
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Israel wasted their time.
They could harvest all they want around here with no thc and high cbd count.

We call it hemp.
It's very abundant.

Smoke the whole field and it won't get ya high. Just ask the hippies from the 70's who used to show up every fall and collect pickup loads to haul back to California thinking they're gonna be rich.
Well, on second thought, probably can't ask 'em. I reckon they had their throats cut shortly after the first sale.

grin

posted before I saw this,..

yep,...
Gotta say,...I can't understand why so many people are so preoccupied with determining what plants can be smoked and which ones can't be.

Best I can determine,...nobody cares what plants people smoke,..as long as it's not one that makes 'em feel good.

Smoke some rose petals,..that's fine.

Smoke some Alfalfa,...no problem.

Some a plant that makes ya want to listen to music while eating ice cream,..people'll call the law.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Best I can determine,...nobody cares what plants people smoke,..as long as it's not one that makes 'em feel good.

It's probably done a lot less damage to our society than either cigarettes or alcohol have...but those are OK!
Originally Posted by antlers

It's probably done a lot less damage to our society than either cigarettes or alcohol have..

No doubt about it.
Originally Posted by antlers

It's probably done a lot less damage to our society than either cigarettes or alcohol have...but those are OK!

...and government subsidized.
People should have a legal right to smoke dope and get friggen high.

Buncha big gov't humpers 'round here. Friggin libs.

Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Hey, that's fantastic news.
Wonder if folks feel the same was about Moonshine, gooberment says thats bad for you too.
Now I�m certainly no expert, so I�m looking for someone who knows their MJ to chime in there. But isn�t the THC in MJ pretty much THE element that is sought for most medicinal uses? Is that what gives the pain relief, relieves pressure for glaucoma sufferers, and creates appetite in cancer patients
Nope.
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Now I�m certainly no expert, so I�m looking for someone who knows their MJ to chime in there. But isn�t the THC in MJ pretty much THE element that is sought for most medicinal uses? Is that what gives the pain relief, relieves pressure for glaucoma sufferers, and creates appetite in cancer patients

not even close.....Marinol(synthetic THC) has been a huge flop because other than a couple issues THC shows very lil medicinal value....there are 65 cannanabiniods in pot, THC is just one....THC is the main componet that gets you "stoned" but it doesnt do chit for pain, it doesnt do chit for nausea produced by chemo, infact for most people, even stoners THC taken alone is very unpleasent...

if you stop paying attention to the bullchit being passed out by those against pot and go read for yourself the info being put out there by plant breeders and dispensaries that are truly out there for the medicinal aspect you will find that for the most part no one gives a rip about THC and for the most part breeders have been trying to do just what was done in Israel, breed a strain with no or nearly no THC but also is high in CBD which not all hemp is.....cause there has been a strong link between CBD and positive medicinal benefits....and on the plus side CBD is not psychoactive in the least...
Originally Posted by Soulfly
Wonder if folks feel the same was about Moonshine, gooberment says thats bad for you too.
if my memory is right, its not the fact these days that shine is bad for you, its that its avoiding the taxes thats bad for the .gov....

Of course where in this all do you draw the line? Thats the biggest issue. If MJ is ok then is cocaine, crack, meth etc...?
Originally Posted by rost495

Of course where in this all do you draw the line? Thats the biggest issue. If MJ is ok then is cocaine, crack, meth etc...?

if you want to get technical about it as far as medicine is concerned cocaine and meth are OK.....if you have ever had eye or ear nose or throat surgery you have probably been given cocaine by a doctor....amphetamines also have medical uses and are prescribed all the time....
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
People should have a legal right to smoke dope and get friggen high.

Buncha big gov't humpers 'round here. Friggin libs.

Got an old traveling hand Bud that smokes the chit outta it, relieves some kinda pressure/pain behind his eyes he says.

No drug can help according to him, only grass.

Gunner
This is potentially a great step forward.

It might enable people like me to get the medicinal benefits - without worrying about any cognitive impairment. Pilots and surgeons (to name a few) might be able to get the medicinal benefits - without worrying about testing positive on drug tests - and the possible loss of their livelihood that can result from that.

As it stands now - if I am having one of those bad days - where I wake up sore, I have to fight through the back pain all day long. That is because I won't "medicate" prior to going to school to teach.

I try and put up with the pain - until I arrive home. If the pain get's too bad - I have to phone for a substitute teacher, leave work, and then go home and get some relief

It would be great to be able to deal with pain - when it occurred - and not worry about waiting till I get home to get the relief.

The Israeli strain might mean I could medicate whenever I needed to. That is - if it is as effective relieving pain as the strains I presently use.

As far as I'm concerned - every university with a medical research department should be doing more cannabis research.

For what it's worth, the university I graduated from (the University of British Columbia) has a medical department that has developed and already patented a strain of medical marijuana specifically developed at the university, for pain relief.

Unfortunately - it still has some THC in it.

The research into this plant's potential to help a myriad of medical conditions - is only beginning.
Gotta say,...I can't understand why so many people are so preoccupied with determining what plants can be smoked and which ones can't be.

Smoke some rose petals,..that's fine.

Smoke some Alfalfa,...no problem.

Some a plant that makes ya want to listen to music while eating ice cream,..people'll call the law.

TFF.... yep.

I think it's great if they can develop a buzz-free pot that still functions as medicine.

But, I also think it's absurd that our Nanny State sees fit to impose it's sanctions on folks over this relatively benign substance. And I just chuckle at any definition of "freedom-loving" that includes such nonsense.

So I chuckle a lot at the chest-thumping self appointed moralists of the world (and the Fire).
Very true Jeff, very true.
It's not like it's complicated, eh? crazy
Why don't scientists do something that needs doing like making cigarettes so they don't stink?

© 24hourcampfire