Home
Posted By: krp Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/05/12
It's that time of year again, the third annual Shindig in Sierra Vista Az, with Greg (crossfireoops}as your host. Last year we had over 20 show up and with the likes of Ken Howell, Paul(CCCC), Ed(to many letters), THOMASMAGNUM, Enrique, Doc, Dennis, Mark, Fred and other miscreants... we had a great time.

Greg is getting the range ready for some volley and smoke action... maybe we will shoot the cannon this year... LOL

It's been suggested for early january... this is the time for suggestions from any and all. And if any want to come from out of state or country and need transport to and from airports, we will accommodate.

And so it begins.... again

Kent

Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/05/12
January would work for me.

They did raise the speed limit on I-10 grin
Posted By: mudhen Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/05/12
Any weekend in January except the first one will work for me.
Posted By: krp Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/05/12
That would be great, I'm really sorry I missed meeting you and others at the Quemado get together, which we will be doing again this summer and organizing after this one.

some pics of last year...

Greg's fire pit in the lurch project... was a success...

[Linked Image]

The Lurch...

[Linked Image]

Doc Ken's monster binos and I think still for sale....

[Linked Image]

Kent
Posted By: krp Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/05/12
Originally Posted by mudhen
Any weekend in January except the first one will work for me.

Noted.

Kent
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/05/12
It IS getting to be that time!

The 6th through the 17th of January is out for me as I already have business obligations.

I hope I can make it! Last year was fun, but the addition of artillery should REALLY be a blast! grin

Ed
Good afternoon,....all.

This is a typical "Rusty Iron" hospitality event, come one, come all, come early, stay late, excellent water and tolerable whiskey.
Lotsa' room for rigs and camping, 110 AC via BYO cord as needed. one small spare private bedroom and a coupla' baths.

I'm leaving it to ya'll to thrash out the best date(s).

I've been running hard on a new project for the last month or so,...getting the first trap house running, and getting a generator shack happening on our new trap range. As well as putting on a regular rifle / pistol shoot, we can break some clay birds, @$5.00 a round (24).

And YES, we SHOULD unlimber that Mountain Howitzer, and rock the Upper San Pedro Valley with the sound of freedom.

Maybe CoupdeGrace will bring out his tack driving artillery, too.

GTC
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/05/12
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Good afternoon,....all.

This is a typical "Rusty Iron" hospitality event, come one, come all, come early, stay late, excellent water and tolerable whiskey.

GTC

Well, I guess iff'n you speak of Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, and Gentleman Jack as "tolerable", then I'll agree. grin

As I recall, there was some quite "passable" wine there, too!

Here's hoping the dates work out for me! ( I know, I'm selfish blush laugh )

Ed
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/05/12
� This is a typical "Rusty Iron" hospitality event, come one, come all, come early, stay late, excellent water and tolerable whiskey �

And if it's anything like the January 2012 version, the absolute tops in quality camaraderie with a gaggle of reprobates!
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/06/12
Ken,

If the dates work out for me you have a guaranteed ride!

This time, we'll try not to get snowbound in Truth or Consequences on the way home! grin

Ed
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/06/12
Glutton for masochism, aren't you?

Didn't learn much from the last jaunt, did you?
Posted By: Scott F Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/06/12
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Ken,

If the dates work out for me you have a guaranteed ride!

This time, we'll try not to get snowbound in Truth or Consequences on the way home! grin

Ed

Can you swing by and pick me up?
Posted By: CCCC Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/06/12
Great responses - hope you all can make it. Don't have a cannon, but maybe could bring one built from some of these old Chevy parts around here.

Ed, I'm not going to push for a specific weekend and will plan to come whenever it happens. Although the original suggestion was early January, so far it looks like those responding could make the 19/20 weekend. If that works for Greg and the others, can you make that timing?

Just wanted to get that thought into the mix before the date gets zeroed in.
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/06/12
The 19th will be my birthday!

Will be 82 then, if I live that long (but still as useless as a dead rat).
Paul, you fellows pick the date(s),....I WILL make it "work",....as far as lining out a shooting event at the usual location,.....as to which RANGE we will be on,....that will be determined by existing range scheds,.....

Greg
Of course I will be in for whatver date works with most folks.

I'll probably do some cooking again this go 'round, but I was thinking perhaps a big pot of green chili pork. Should do well to warm us through, and what I make is passable grin
[Linked Image]
Posted By: krp Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/06/12
I'm open as my out of state work won't be able to happen till spring and thaw... I'm liking the 19th though... LOL

Kent
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

NEVER useless, as long as you have knowledge to impart - and you do.

Mark
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/06/12
^
You know Dan, you and TLEE could share a ride and do a road trip... probably pick up a couple more reprobates on the way... just say'n...

Kent
Helluva idea!
Posted By: XL5 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/06/12
Sorry Vista, huh? Did they fix the stoplight yet?
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/06/12
Originally Posted by krp
You know Dan, you and TLEE could share a ride and do a road trip... probably pick up a couple more reprobates on the way... just say'n...

Kent

yup, hit I-10, lasso Miss Lynn in Alabama, stop a bit in Houston, and I'll show you a shortcut to West Texas wink

Enough people show up and I might be forced to buy a new pickup. grin
No, but they put in a crosswalk for illegals that slows traffic down about the same.

Kent
Some pics from last years Shindig

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: ironbender Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/06/12
� This is a typical "Rusty Iron" hospitality event, come one, come all, come early, stay late, excellent water and tolerable whiskey �

And if it's anything like the January 2012 version, the absolute tops in quality camaraderie with a gaggle of reprobates!

Reprobates.

Is that French for "fat, old men"? smile
Hey hey hey I am a fat young man....
Is there any place to stay in Sierra Vista,and what does one need to bring with them?
There are motels in SV, I just pull my trailer and park it at Greg's. If you want to bring a tent and cot I have a couple elec heaters and Greg may have a couple to make it toastie in January.

We usually have twice the food and I cook out of the trailer and grill outside. So bring yourself, snacks you like and a few beverages.

It's easy.

Kent
Originally Posted by ironbender

Reprobates.

Is that French for "fat, old men"? smile

So... you are coming then?

Kent
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/06/12
The weekend of 11-12th works best for me but can make later work too.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/06/12
work allowing i'll try to make the road trip.
Posted By: Big Sky Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/06/12
Man, I wish I could go to this. I grew up all my elementary years in Sierra Vista. It would be nice to go back just to see the place. I'm sure over 30+ years that it has changed a whole lot. Not to mention the company down there would my kind of company. You boys have a great time.
Originally Posted by XL5
Sorry Vista, huh? Did they fix the stoplight yet?

Hell, they've put in 5 or 6 more, though I haven't figured out why we need 'em.

I guess that I'm obligated to attend, gotta defend my title in the Porkeye Shoot...not to mention the food, drink and camaraderie of reprobates. grin
I was just going to mention the Porkeye match...
I was runner up last year, and this year I will be gunning fr the win. grin

Should be a lot of fun! Maybe Enrique will shoot the entire thing with that .32-20 this time?
Originally Posted by krp
There are motels in SV, I just pull my trailer and park it at Greg's. If you want to bring a tent and cot I have a couple elec heaters and Greg may have a couple to make it toastie in January.

We usually have twice the food and I cook out of the trailer and grill outside. So bring yourself, snacks you like and a few beverages.

It's easy.

Kent
Ok,right now my son and I are talking about going,but the wife is giving me the evil eye. Guessing there will be updates here on the board as to dates and such.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/06/12
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM

Should be a lot of fun! Maybe Enrique will shoot the entire thing with that .32-20 this time?
Refresh my memory on the rules for this match so that I can adequately prepare for the inevitable embarrassment.

I'm going for better than "Most Consistent" with my .45Colt grin

Yes, Ken, I AM a glutton for long conversations and great company!

Ed

The rare and special .357 Magnum revolver I'll be fielding ( I currently have $44.00 invested , total) is going to show you pikers what longer range pistola accuracy is really all about.

Be advised.

GTC
elkhunternm stay tuned to this thread. It will likely amble along with updates as the dates draw nearer or point the way to newer threads that may get started. If all else fails you can always PM either KRP or myself probably.

The Porkeye Match last year was fired with a handgun of any choice fired from standing, targets were 5 pig silhouettes at 100 yards. 3 go 'rounds, and best overall score wins. Pigs must fall to count for score.
Perfect score was 15
In the event of a tie we would go to a "Pork Off" otherwise known as a head to head shootout
"Pork Off",.....

ROTFLMAO

GTC

The rare and special .357 Magnum revolver I'll be fielding ( I currently have $44.00 invested , total) is going to show you pikers what longer range pistola accuracy is really all about.

Be advised.

GTC

I bet you're going to cheat and practice beforehand, aren't ya? laugh

Ed
Can't,.......

Not enough of that crazy "Super Vel" left,.......I'm not gonna' shoot any more of it unless there's money, or my life on the table.

Man, ....there was one character just reading me the RIOT act for shooting it at all.

Oh well.

What about a coupla' rounds of trap / clay bird action, this year ?

GTC

Can I use my .458WM? grin

Ed
Sure,.....as long as I can use my Sharps.

GTC
Can I use my .458WM? grin

Ed

That thing is WAY to much fun on the Pigs, offhand,.....

Hope you bring lotsa' the same ammo ya' had this Summer.

I think I could whup the chit outta' you and that clanky Mauser with my Short Sharps, though.

GTC
Chickens, offhand, at 200yds? grin

Ken might get offended about referring to that piece of art as "clanky" eek

Ed
I was runner up last year, and this year I will be gunning fr the win. :gr
Refresh my memory on the rules for this match so that I can adequately prepare for the inevitable embarrassment.

Whoa Ben, what embarrassment? This past Summer at Q you shot beautifully and were a very close (only .2 inch) 2nd to Jon in the "100 yard Heart of the PD" shoot (the 1/2" red dot). And you were shooting a borrowed .220 Swift you had never even handled before you went to the bench. I hope that you do shoot the Pork Eye.
Originally Posted by CCCC

Whoa Ben, what embarrassment? This past Summer at Q you shot beautifully and were a very close (only .2 inch) 2nd to Jon in the "100 yard Heart of the PD" shoot (the 1/2" red dot). And you were shooting a borrowed .220 Swift you had never even handled before you went to the bench. I hope that you do shoot the Pork Eye.

Paul, I think Ben is referring to OTHER people's embarassment, not his. I can see a man of his age wanting to ensure (pun intended) that he had Nitro tabs handy when he starts laughing at the misery of us other folks...

Ben sure can shoot! I also think Jon should stand down for the Porkeye match. Wouldn't want him hogging (pun again intended!) all of the trophies! grin

Ed

Prior preparation is frowned on, there may be a penalty for "practicing". grin

Ed

You youngsters and your good vision, geez. Can we paint 'em blaze orange?
Posted By: mudhen Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/06/12
Originally Posted by chesterpulley

I wasn't thinking practice as much as how many rounds of what I need to bring. Practice with a handgun would be a waste of my time and ammo anyhow--I never get any better.
Here's Ken - today - at our voting place. Go ahead - ask him about that "clanky" rifle.

[Linked Image]

I wasn't thinking practice as much as how many rounds of what I need to bring. Practice with a handgun would be a waste of my time and ammo anyhow--I never get any better.

Neither do I, but the noise makes me feel good!
I am planning on shooting the Pork'Eye this year with my open sighted 11" .45-70 Contender....
I figure when I miss the muzzle blast still might tip 'em over.
grin
...for those wondering last years winning score was 3.
Yep 3, but I think we all had a pretty danged good time shooting it.

Ed

Youngsters? Who you callin' young? I think I'm about old enough to be your Dad!

As to cheating, I've seen you shoot! You should be blindfolded before being allowed to compete with us! grin

Paul,

Ken sure looks good! Nice chin whiskers he's got going there. Makes him look years younger! laugh

Ed
Crap,......I'm gonna' have to unlimber the 8 bore with canister loads.

how many .45 Round balls = 850 Grains, anyway ?

GTC

Do you think the fact that we shot in a "Chill Factor" condition may have had a we bit to do with that /

Nah,.......we're all just lousy shots.

All kidding aside ( not likely),....I'd like to borrow Ed's big SA 5 shooter, and use that to shoot the winning score.

Ramirez and that damned .32 being the REAL challenge here, ya' know.

GTC

Ed

Youngsters? Who you callin' young? I think I'm about old enough to be your Dad!

As to cheating, I've seen you shoot! You should be blindfolded before being allowed to compete with us! grin

Paul,

Ken sure looks good! Nice chin whiskers he's got going there. Makes him look years younger! laugh

Ed

I was being charitable - and it worked! Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Agreed that Doctor Howell looks pretty rakish in the bomber jacket, good on ya Doc!

Nuh-uh, it was five with three in a row. My goal this time is twelve, which means I'll get...five...or three.

AND, IIRC, it was Chesterpulley who pulled that off!

Greg, you, or anyone else that would like to, can certainly shoot my .45Colt. I'll load up more ammo as I brought to the Quemado Shindig. I was ringing Tom's steel gong at 100yds offhand with it, so it should do OK. grin

Tom, If you shoot that short-barreled .45-70, I'll make sure I'm at the other end of the range. I don't have much hair, less hearing, and am already short enough, thank you very much! grin BTW, does the USGS record the muzzle blast of that thing somewhere?

Ed
You're right it was 5 to take the win.
You with 5 and the win.
I tipped 3 for second place.
And then 2 people tied with 2 hits for third, but I don't recall who.

Yeah Greg I definitely remember it being cold. Something about a "witch's tit" comes to mind.
elkhunternm stay tuned to this thread. It will likely amble along with updates as the dates draw nearer or point the way to newer threads that may get started. If all else fails you can always PM either KRP or myself probably.

The Porkeye Match last year was fired with a handgun of any choice fired from standing, targets were 5 pig silhouettes at 100 yards. 3 go 'rounds, and best overall score wins. Pigs must fall to count for score.
Perfect score was 15
In the event of a tie we would go to a "Pork Off" otherwise known as a head to head shootout
Will keep an eye out for more info,and the Porkeye Match sounds like fun!
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/07/12
You're right it was 5 to take the win.
You with 5 and the win.
I tipped 3 for second place.
And then 2 people tied with 2 hits for third, but I don't recall who.

Yeah Greg I definitely remember it being cold. Something about a "witch's tit" comes to mind.

I was one of the ones tied with two. I shot "Most Consistent" according to Paul. I hit two rams on each of the attempts. Always the first two.

As I recall, the wind also played a factor, coming straight out of Antarctica. Not to say that it was really windy, but I'm pretty sure I was holding on one ram to the left of the one I actually hit! laugh

Ed

That last "shoot' was, beyond ANY shadow of reasonable doubt, the chittiest, coldest, rottenest day I've ever spent on that particular range.

.......And the year before wasn't much better.

I smell good weather,for this year's ballistic efforts, ....we're due for some.

GTC
Posted By: CCCC Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/07/12
Thanks, Greg, for that description of the conditions - maybe could work as an excuse for my weak work with the 7mmTCU handgun that day. Then again, those pigs did look fuzzy out there. Maybe pig hittin' will go better with some practice next time.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/07/12

Perfect score was 15

hmmm...what to bring...I do know where there's a Wichita .308 pistol...hmmm...
"Pork Off",.....

ROTFLMAO

GTC

I couldn't resist such an awful line... grin
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/07/12
^
I am hoping to be dragging my cousin Colin along this year. He'll fit in well our little group of folks.
Posted By: DARBY Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/07/12
I plan to attend. Will there be a group PM to finalize things edible?

A bit OT, but did any of youse Valley Boys get to watch Sheriff Joe light up that ditzy Channel 15 interviewer - ?? -- laugh laugh laugh

Hey Joe, why didn't you say what ya really think of the liberal media that made every effort to derail your operation smirk .
I am sure as it draws closeer we will get a group pm going.

I will probably end up doing the samething I did last year i.e. coming down Saturday and heading home in the evening.

Like I said yesterday I am happy to put together a big pot of green chili pork for dinner on Saturday, but if someone wants to do something else instead that is cool too.
I will also plan on bring a case of bottled water and some soda too.
Posted By: DARBY Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/07/12
Good show.

As long as you are on here, I saw in the local paper that you and Kent aced the Synchronized Macarena Contest last weekend. Congratulations to both of you. Did you guys perform the final 8th move (1/4 turn hop) in the same or opposite direction????
We both opted for counter clockwise...
I think that's what really locked it in for us this year. Big news next year we will be debuting the electric slide...

Thank you for your constant support Joe!

.i..

Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/07/12
I'm trying to visualize Tom cavorting in a tutu.

That's about as easy to imagine as �bama doing what he promises to do.
I'm trying to visualize Tom cavorting in a tutu.

That's about as easy to imagine as �bama doing what he promises to do.

A little easier actually, but just as disturbing!

Don't do that. grin
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/07/12
Either one would crack a camera.
^true
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/08/12
Originally Posted by krp
� Doc Ken's monster binos and I think still for sale....

[Linked Image]

And nobody interested so far.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/08/12
Originally Posted by krp

[Linked Image]

We could clearly see the foot trails on the mountains shown in the background.

Those are some amazing optics!

Ed
Originally Posted by krp

[Linked Image]

Ed

The range finder built into the right barrel is chit-hot !

Calibrated in Mils, IIRC.

GTC
Originally Posted by krp

[Linked Image]

Ed

Built by Zeiss for the military, with oculars for (IIRC) 25� and 40�. Clear as bottled water �

but NOT for hanging on a neck strap. laugh
� We could clearly see the foot trails on the mountains shown in the background. �

Through all that atmospheric haze, at that! Gotta love old Zeiss glass!
That glass was pretty amazing!
Guys, I have GOT to ask you all to Speculate, Prognosticate, Cogitate, Ruminate, Adjudicate, Meditate, Formulate,....and than
(most importantly) COMMUNICATE
to me as to which is the most workable date(s).

As it satnds right this moment, I have Range 5 booked for that Saturday (19th) afternoon, and Sunday( 20th), as well.

Lemme know, within the week, if at all possible.

Best Regards,

Greg
That date works just fine for me.

My only concern was that is wasn't the first weekend of January from then on everything should be fine for me.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/08/12
that weekend is also fine for me.
Which weekend won't matter but I am considering making that long drive. Depends on my Wife's health. miles
Posted By: norm99 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/08/12
Originally Posted by mark shubert

NEVER useless, as long as you have knowledge to impart - and you do.

Mark

you can read wright and type you`ll do for a long while yet

norm
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/08/12
� We could clearly see the foot trails on the mountains shown in the background. �

Ken, a lot of serious astronomers who search for comets use giant binoculars, and in fact most new comets are indeed discovered that way. Advertised in a astronomy-related format, you might be able to get a lot of interest in them.

http://www.eaas.co.uk/news/yuji_hyakutake.html

Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/09/12
Guys, I have GOT to ask you all to Speculate, Prognosticate, Cogitate, Ruminate, Adjudicate, Meditate, Formulate,....and then
(most importantly) COMMUNICATE
to me as to which is the most workable date(s).

As it stands right this moment, I have Range 5 booked for that Saturday (19th) afternoon, and Sunday (20th) as well.

Lemme know, within the week, if at all possible.

Love that date, even if I don't get there myself!

Ken Oehler says that he and Margie plan to stop here again, on their way to the SHOT Show in Vegas (15�18 January). I'll urge 'em to swing by Sierra Vista on their way home. (Ken knows the area � spends a lot of time at Fort Huachuca, which uses the Big Brother versions of the neat little chronographs that we all know and love so much).

You guys wouldn't turn 'em away, would you? laugh

edited to add �

A closer look at the dates, distances, and driving times makes it clear that such a visit is impossible. Ken and Margie can't get there until after our shindig is all over. Aw, rats! And it was such a pleasant notion, too! frown
Posted By: krp Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/09/12
That weekend works for me.

Kent
Sounds like good dates. Will artillery play a role in this shindig? grin
Posted By: tdd4570 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/09/12
Just found the thread.

Been away for a few days.

I am definately going to try to make this gathering. I made Quemado and would like to visit again.

Please keep me in the loop and I will start planning.

Thanks

Dave
Originally Posted by CoupdeGrace
Sounds like good dates. Will artillery play a role in this shindig? grin

Weather allowing, it SHOULD.

We need at least one of the "Big Guns" out and about for this one,....

Planning (over some Dark Full Sail) recomended.

GTC
Posted By: krp Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/09/12
Bump for Enrique...
Posted By: Enrique Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/09/12
thanks guys. typing on my wife kindle is a pita.
hope Ed can make it so i can help myself to him .32 ammo. figure if i fire enough rounds down range i might get lucky.
btw if all works with the fam, maybe i can bring them so yall can meet the new addition, the boys and my better half.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/09/12
Kique,

If I CAN make it I'll certainly bring .32-20 ammo. grin

I figure on my .32-20 Marlin, my FA .45Colt SA, a couple of .357's and my .458WM.

Maybe bring my .22lr Match Contender Carbine for a 200yd shoot-off. grin

I HAVE to bring the .458WM 'cause Greg and I are going to have a 200yd Chicken shoot-off. He's going to use his "Indian Warrior" Sharps. Offhand, iron sights only, cast bullets, and may the best man win...
He has his tang sights, but I get to use my Redfield aperture sights, so neither one is really handicapped.

I hope you CAN make it. With or without your family, though having them there will be icing on the cake!

I'm guessing that Tom will be bringing at least his #1 son again, and I can ACT like a child, so they won't feel left out... laugh

Good to see you back on here!

Ed
Ed if you show up with that Match Contender and I am going have to bring this...
[Linked Image]
Winchester 52 single shot conversion ex-silhouette rig. Its got a Canjar trigger set at 2oz, buehler rings and bases, and bloop tuned barrel.
Its not that pretty, but it shoots pretty well.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/09/12
I HAVE to bring the .458WM 'cause Greg and I are going to have a 200yd Chicken shoot-off. He's going to use his "Indian Warrior" Sharps. Offhand, iron sights only, cast bullets, and may the best man win...
He has his tang sights, but I get to use my Redfield aperture sights, so neither one is really handicapped.

Ed

I'm not sure I could even see a plucking chicken at 200 yards, so ya'll have at it...

grin
I just aim at the dark blur.

....no kidding

GTC
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/10/12

....no kidding

GTC

You mean people actually SEE a chicken at that range? I just aim at the same dark blur! grin

Tom, I would dearly LOVE to shoot that rifle! I am a sucker for accurate single shot rifles.

Maybe we can shoot the Rams at 200, freshly painted so we can find our hits, and try to get a "killing shot" in the heart/lung area. Maybe put an orange paster as the "bullseye". One shot per ram, five rams on the rail per shooter.

Whatcha think?

Ed
Posted By: Enrique Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/10/12
Just an fyi, I will probably be bringing my 7mm mag. I have been seriously considering sending it down the road. Its a LH 700.
Just thought id let all who are coming down know in advance.lol

Tom if you'd like i'll bring some red tip bullets for you to try and see how they do compared to your pink ones.

This is exciting. Cant wait to see all you guys again. I hope to stay longer than last time.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/10/12
I forgot about Tom's MAUVE bullets!

Ed
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/10/12
Originally Posted by Enrique
� if all works with the fam, maybe i can bring them so yall can meet the new addition, the boys and my better half.

Oh, boy!

Huggables!
Just for you tata. Pray we all can make it.
Once again - cattle-buying, and processing, season. I won't know 'till the last minute!
If I don't make it - y'all have fun without me!

Mark
Its all good with me. I'll plan on dragging the .22 silhouette rifle down then for sure.
Yeah yeah pink bullets. grin
Posted By: azrancher Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/10/12
I'm in the same boat as Mark. Really hard to tell if i can make it or not and i'm probably closer than anyone that doesn't live S.V. Will do my best, had fun last year. Even killed a pig with my diamondback 9mm.[witnessed] So at least i don't have to try that again.

Fred
Fred i think i got that on video.
Btt
Can we get this to be a sticky for all to see on first page?
Good idea!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/10/12
how far are those pigs, can i bring the 500S&W?
Yes, bring it.

GTC
cool, if i'm not working that weekend i plan on driving out.
Can we get this to be a sticky for all to see on the first page?

Don't be surprised if such a request gets no more response than you'd get by dropping a piece of down fluff down a deep well. Rick hasn't answered any of my PMs for quite a while.
Oh, we can keep this bouncing around close to the top without a sticky.

GTC
That's a better idea anyway!
True.
Roger if you make it down, maybe you and others from texas and new mexico can convoy over here.

Reading this thread feels like christmas. Full of surprises.
i'll try and bring Leighton with me, hes suppose to come shoot ducks in jan so maybe we'll kill two birds with one stone.
Oh man that would awesome!
I hope it works out.
Love it when a plan comes together.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/11/12
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i'll try and bring Leighton with me, hes suppose to come shoot ducks in jan so maybe we'll kill two birds with one stone.

That would be cool for him to join us smile
Posted By: Scott F Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/11/12
Now I am really wanting to show up!
Posted By: Enrique Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/11/12
[Linked Image]
Kique - good shot! And I witnessed Azrancher take down that pig with the little DB9, he let me shoot it, and convinced me to buy it's clone!
Hope you & yours are doing well.

Mark

PS I now own a Marlin take-down, to go with the Bisley 32-20. If I make it, I'll bring both.
M
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/11/12
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Ken, a lot of serious astronomers who search for comets use giant binoculars, and in fact most new comets are indeed discovered that way. Advertised in a astronomy-related format, you might be able to get a lot of interest in them.

http://www.eaas.co.uk/news/yuji_hyakutake.html

Thanks for the link, Amigo, but I druther it go to a friend for $1,000 than to a stranger for $10,000.

If I make it to the Sierra Vista bash, I may just raffle it off for a dollar a pop to those who show-up there. A couple more reasons to hope for a big crowd! laugh
Posted By: Enrique Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/11/12
If u click the pic i posted, it should play the vid of him shooting that pig.

Btw sorry for the crappy typing guys. I hate typing on cell phones.
Today I shot the .45-70 #1. When I touched off the first one I was reminded that at Quemado, I warned Thomas to not shoot any in his pistol grin
Posted By: MikeS Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/11/12
Ed if you show up with that Match Contender and I am going have to bring this...
[Linked Image]
Winchester 52 single shot conversion ex-silhouette rig. Its got a Canjar trigger set at 2oz, buehler rings and bases, and bloop tuned barrel.

Glad to see you are getting some use out of it. Shoots WAY better than it looks.

Mike

Posted By: azcoues Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/11/12
I really plan on making the trip this yr. it was an awesome experience last yr.
Did they set an EXACT date yet? !
I've shot some beeeeeeg rifles through the years, but I don't remember any that kicked worse than a No. 1 in .458 Winchester Magnum.

OTOH, I've shot several of my friend Lee Jurras's "Howdah" pistols that make the .45-70 Contender seem down-right puny.

Makes one really appreciate all .22 rimfires, long and short. One of my all-time favorites is my friend Paul's big Remington rolling-block .22 LR with shortened hammer fall, tuned trigger, and 30-inch bull barrel. Shoot CB caps in that sucker, and you hear the hammer hit and the bullet plink a can. A bystander hears a faint muzzle burp if he's close enough. The hardest part is holding that Pullman axle horizontal.

Lee (he of the old Super Vel ammo) is back in or near Hagerman, NM. I'd love to have him join us in Sierra Vista or here � or even just here on-line � but don't have any way to get in touch with him. Don't know whether he's still making his "Howdah" pistols or loading those extra-skookum Jurras "Howdah" cartridges (.375 to .577).
Originally Posted by MikeS

Glad to see you are getting some use out of it. Shoots WAY better than it looks.

Mike

Hey Mike good to see you post. I couldn't be happier with the rifle.
[Linked Image]

Remember, .......we're talking 100 METERS, in a blustery, cold, sleety GALE here.

Man, I'd like to see you pistoleros working in half decent weather conditions.

Greg
Posted By: Bobcape Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/11/12
Man! I haven't been down to Sierra Vista since I was stationed at Ft WeGotca. Really enjoyed my time there. Moved up to the Phoenix valley in 1985 and started spending time up on the Rim. I moved to South Dakota in 1990 and haven't made it back yet. Had some AZ friends up here this year and they are coming back this spring for turkey. If you do this next year I should try to make it there. Have a great time!

Bob
Originally Posted by MikeS
[Linked Image]

Mike

Oughta be a barn-burner then, 'cause it looks good to me!

....no kidding

GTC

You mean people actually SEE a chicken at that range? I just aim at the same dark blur! grin

Tom, I would dearly LOVE to shoot that rifle! I am a sucker for accurate single shot rifles.

Maybe we can shoot the Rams at 200, freshly painted so we can find our hits, and try to get a "killing shot" in the heart/lung area. Maybe put an orange paster as the "bullseye". One shot per ram, five rams on the rail per shooter.

Whatcha think?

Ed

The dark blur?! I've seen that! Always wondered what it was, but now that I know, I can play too! grin
Originally Posted by krp
It's that time of year again, the third annual shindig in Sierra Vista, AZ, with Greg (crossfireoops) as your host. Last year we had over 20 show up and with the likes of Ken Howell, Paul (CCCC), Ed (too many letters), THOMASMAGNUM, Enrique, Doc, Dennis, Mark, Fred, and other miscreants... we had a great time.

Greg is getting the range ready for some volley and smoke action... maybe we will shoot the cannon this year... LOL

It's been suggested for early January... this is the time for suggestions from any and all. And if any want to come from out of state or country and need transport to and from airports, we will accommodate.

And so it begins.... again.

Hope it's gonna be reasonably warm!

The power went off here at about 0500 yesterday morning, came back on around noon, and hiccuped six times last night. We had a light sprinkle for a while yesterday afternoon.

About � inch of heavy-lookin' wet snow was on the ground when I looked out at 0330 this morning. Light on my east-facing window was so bright that I first thought that somebody's car was in my yard with its brights on my window, but it was just moonlight from a clear sky on the snow.

The snow'll probably be all gone by noon or soon after (black pavement on the street already). Temperature's expected to go back up well above freezing, but I'm wondering what kind of winter we're going to have.

I remember the times when I loved snow, but I've had enough already! Funny how the loss of subcutaneous lard can change a skinny old coot's tastes!

Set the Sierra Vista thermostat a little higher than it was last year, Greg! (And turn the fan down, too.) laugh
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/11/12
Sounds like a major good time.

If I wasn't half a planet away from there I'd try to make it.
It'd prolly cost me an ass whuppin' er two,...but every ticket has a price.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Surviving without you is possible, but it won't be something to celebrate with dancing, song, and cymbal.

I'm glad that a certain few Campfarts won't be there with their cranial borborygma, but they're not many, and you're not one of 'em.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/11/12

Lee (he of the old Super Vel ammo) is back in or near Hagerman, NM. I'd love to have him join us in Sierra Vista or here � or even just here on-line � but don't have any way to get in touch with him. Don't know whether he's still making his "Howdah" pistols or loading those extra-skookum Jurras "Howdah" cartridges (.375 to .577).

I just sent Lee an email, asking him to check in here and inviting him to the Sierra Vista Shindig.

I hope he can make it!!!

Ed
Where'd you find Lee's e-mail address?

PM it to me, so that I can second the notion!

I would wager that if you made it over into the midwest, you could hook up with one of the other guys coming.

You could certainly ride with me if I am able to go. My journey, though, will begin in San Antonio, TX and we will need to pick Ken up in Quemado, then drive down to Sierra Vista. It'll be cozy, but very do-able! grin

Ed
I truly appreciate the invite,..but it's more a situation of time than distance.

They've been laying people off at an alarming rate where I work, and I don't want to make the first page of the list by taking days off.
I've shot some beeeeeeg rifles through the years, but I don't remember any that kicked worse than a No. 1 in .458 Winchester Magnum.

As a #1 collector I keep threatening to buy one of those .450 Nitro Boddington editions. They supposedly weigh 8 lbs empty grin

I think the ones we shot in my brother's .458 #1, at Quemado, were loaded 90% or so, according to him. With full tilt 500's it do get rough crazy

I added a grain of powder to the .45-70 loads and took it out again today. The point of impact went up about 8 inches at 100 yards. eek After re-adjusting the scope, it put the last three into about 1.5". The wind was howling with this front blowing in, so I didn't set up the chrono, but these are driving 300 TTSX's probably close to 2400 fps, and they do buck a bit smile
Heck, with any luck, you just might be laid-off by then! laugh frown
lol,.

That 99 weeks of unemployment benefits is the only retirement plan I *got*.
lol,.

That 99 weeks of unemployment benefits is the only retirement plan I *got*.

That, and a winning lottery ticket and you're set for life! grin

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it. The economy status is why I may not be able to make it. I will try my hardest as it is a great time, with great people. Even BorderDoc, who seems to be M.I.A. lately... grin

Ed
Update on Lee Jurras,

He said that he can't make Sierra Vista, but that the Quemado Gathering next summer sounded "do-able".

I hope he can make it. Having TWO living legends at a gathering would be incredible!

Ed
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/12/12

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it. The economy status is why I may not be able to make it. I will try my hardest as it is a great time, with great people. Even BorderDoc, who seems to be M.I.A. lately... grin

Ed

I sure hope you guys can, it would be nice seeing you again, and meeting some new folks, too. smile

Realistically, I may have to back out as well, as the boss is retiring at year-end and I'm moving into his job. The promotion is gratifying, but incoming orders are lousy now, and if it's still slow by then I may have to stay focused on getting more work in the shop, and on training people.

That little 1915 Stevens Favorite of mine seems to shoot pretty well, and would benefit from the expertise of others. I can manage about 4" groups with it at 100 yards, with the open sights. It would be good to round up a suitible tang sight for it, and get some help fixing a couple of function issues.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/12/12
So, do we have a date set yet?
Posted By: Border Doc Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/12/12

Campfire greetings to all.

MIA vs. DOA is a good deal, although my high hopes for the future of our Independent Republic got badly bruised last week. My 22 yr-old son also got elected out of office. . .(and maybe back to the parents' house). . . he worked for the District Attorney who wasn't re-elected. People with an R behind their name didn't do well around here, either. New Mexico has some 'splainin' to do.

We have been plenty busy with our rehab projects. Sorry to have missed the prior discussions, and thanks for including me in this one. The world turns in mysterious fashions.

Sierra Vista may be a bit of a stretch, but count me in as a maybe so far. I might even have a handgun that could be useful if I can see the targets through the wind, sleet, etc. How much energy (foot-pounds) does it take to topple the steel? Any rough idea would be fine.

If all goes well, which would be a delight, I will arrive early enough to get reacquainted with Gracie and will help in whatever setup is still needed. Bottled water, extra plates, beverage cups, coffee, creamer, sugar, unsugar and such will be with me. Do you still have that "pull through" parking spot, Greg?

Practice? I've lost the way to the range. My elk and deer applications must have had my political affiliation stamped on them, cause they got Rejected at the drawing. No SASS shoots recently, kinda busy here. Not too busy for SV II, though, so make a date certain and I will start negotiations with my jobs.
Posted By: krp Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/12/12
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
So, do we have a date set yet?

Weekend of the 19th looks the most popular at this point.

Kent
"Do you still have that "pull through" parking spot, Greg?"

Hell, Man,.....I'll lay out some pavers and a welcome mat.

It would be GREAT to have you darken this doorstep again, Old Timer !

GTC
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/12/12
I've shot some beeeeeeg rifles through the years, but I don't remember any that kicked worse than a No. 1 in .458 Winchester Magnum. �

Once again, gotta correct myself (gad, but this ol' crap is gettin' tiresome!).

'Twasn't a No. 1 � 'twas that junior version of it that Ruger made for a while.

What WAS the name of that turkey?

(A mind is a sad thing to lose.)
Are you thinking of the Ruger No. 3 Single Shot Ken?

I think that's it, but my memory and judgement have gotten so shaken lately that I'm leery of being sure about anything.
I'd not want to fire a Ruger No. 3 chambered for .458 Win Mag.
I can't imagine any aspect of it being pleasant.
The best thing to do with a No. 3 in .458 Winchester Magnum takes two steps �

� Mount a 12x scope on it.

� Jack-up the scope and run a Kimber .22LR under it.

Then life'll get a lot more enjoyable.
grin
^up for a new day.
That #3 stock was designed by a sadist.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/13/12
and the buttplate by a Democrat crazy
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/13/12

I disagree with both Greg and you.

I think it was designed by a scorned woman... laugh

Ed
Posted By: 1371 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/13/12
If you guys don't mind a young buck, I may have to come on down. Maybe drag the old man (SU35) down with me.
Originally Posted by 1371
If you guys don't mind a young buck, I may have to come on down. Maybe drag the old man (SU35) down with me.

Are you implying that we are "old guys"??? grin We resemble that remark!

Of course you're welcome! Drag the other "old guy" with you! The more the merrier. I guarantee you'll have a great time and meet some great people.

Besides, if jmgraham1986 comes, you two can translate "old guy speak" for each other. laugh

Ed
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/13/12

and you could be right smile I wonder how many times people have said, "Ruger! WTH!" after their first shot off that buttplate. That's definitely what I said the first time I shot an original .44 carbine.
I skate the fine line betwixt young guy speak and old guy speak at 34 years old.
grin

Come on down! Its a great group of friends, and we always welcome more.
OK Tom, you can be our "Official Translator" laugh

Ed
Looks like a great time with some good folk.
Would love to join someday.
Nice looking country side and some fine shooting I bet.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/13/12
Originally Posted by TnDeerModerator

I'm sure some targets[moving] are needed.
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by TnDeerModerator

I'm sure some targets[moving] are needed.

Sure there is maybe you should join.
Sorry,
"they" like the skinny chumps in slippers and capris
Sorry,

I smell someone starting some [bleep] sick
Sorry,

That was a visual I did NOT need! grin

Raeford, are you going to be able to make it?

Ed
Originally Posted by FartSniffer
Sorry,

I smell someone starting some [bleep] sick

Just learn "ignore" the weak.
He has not the clue.
Posted By: catman925 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/13/12
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Alison xtb^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wish I could! Not in the cards this year.
Just noticed some trolling going on and haven't shot anything in a day or two so I thought I would squash a bug/troll here. wink
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/13/12
just read this thread, sure wish i could come, i sure enjoyed the campfire in M.M. last summer. but its hunting season here and i will be guideing quail hunters, and booked for the season thru feb. you all have a good time and i hope to see you at N.M. next summer rio7
I wish I could! Not in the cards this year.
Just noticed some trolling going on and haven't shot anything in a day or two so I thought I would squash a bug/troll here. wink

Well, if you get the chance to make the S.V. Shindig or the Quemado Gathering, you'll be in good company.

BTW, DFTFT. It just leaves a stench. grin

Ed
Originally Posted by RIO7
just read this thread, sure wish i could come, i sure enjoyed the campfire in M.M. last summer. but its hunting season here and i will be guideing quail hunters, and booked for the season thru feb. you all have a good time and i hope to see you at N.M. next summer rio7

Yes, sir, I reckon there WILL be a good time had. Sorry you can't make it, but I understand about business.

I hope you have a successful season!

Ed
Blue you'll be missed, but I am sure we all understand. Good hunting and hope to see the next time!
Been wondering about TRAP SHOOTING, and whether any of youze are going to want to fire up some shotguns.

Not my racket, although I'm knee deep in putting the new facility together, out at the S,V. Range.

Burnt Powder Sniffer

Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/14/12
me and a shotgun, trying to shoot trap, would be high comedy.

You too?
grin
OK,.....spoilsports,.....

RIOT GUNS ONLY

...better ?

GTC

I disagree with both Greg and you.

Ed

Whoever she was, she's probably also responsible for the "Target" stocks on the late 70's/early 80's S&W's...still out there laughing probably.

You too?
grin

That makes at least three of us. Anyone for a comedy troupe? grin
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/14/12
Greg and I are going to shoot trap with rifles...he's going to use his Sharps and I'm going to use my .458WM.

We'll probably have the same hit rate as if we were using shotguns... laugh

Ed
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/14/12
Greg and I are going to shoot trap with rifles...he's going to use his Sharps and I'm going to use my .458WM.

We'll probably have the same hit rate as if we were using shotguns... laugh

Ed

I'll cheat and use an AK47...

grin
Hmmmm wonder if Dillon Aero has a loaner program?
My No.3 is very pleasant to fire-

It's a 22 K-Hornet!
Don't expect it would take a steel pig, though!

Mark
Sorry,

Id you'd show up - I'd wear my chinques- and nothing else!
THAT'll spook anyone who knows me! (Well, boots & spurs, too)

Mark
Posted By: krp Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/15/12
Damn Mark, I started to laugh then had a sudden thought... what if you're serious? Then I got skeerd.

Kent
At least I didn't make that offer wink
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/15/12
Originally Posted by krp
Damn Mark, I started to laugh then had a sudden thought... what if you're serious? Then I got skeerd.

Kent

I got SICK. I got better...now I'm simply nauseous.

Ed
The new generator shack on the new Trap Range would make a fairly authetic high desert "Calabozo".

If Mark just has to go through with this, I'd suggest we lock him in there with an empty bucket, a pail of clean water, a pint of Slivovitz, and a couple of Mudhen's Green Chile Burritos.

That oughta' work.

GTC
WHAT - nobody wants to see an almost - nekkid geezer ??

Mark

Look, if you're gonna' INSIST,.....we'd better figure out the protocols,....and designate this as a regular event.

I have no idea what we'd call it, or how we'd support it to best effect.

Will you need special Lighting, Music, a "Pole",....?

Crap,....that'll have to be one helluva' STOUT pole.

See ?

.....planning always pays off,......

GTC

Posted By: CCCC Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/15/12
Thanks for the posts, guys. The weekend of Jan 19/20 looks good here. Is that time now set?
I'm not waffling , Paul,.....But,I'd rather that the bulk of the crew set the time /date.

I DO have The ranges booked (provisionally)for that weekend, but there's lots of flexibility there if a majority wanted to pick a different date.

Thus far it kinda' looks to be the 19th, at this point,....doesn't it ?

Let's hear it, Gentlemen, Ladies, Exhibitionistic pole dancers, and any others attending.

GTC
19th works for me yet I'm flexible.

Kent
^ditto
The weekend of the 19/20 of January works for me.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/15/12
I'd like to try to make it down this time just to meet the "local" folks. My life is not predictable that far in advance so I'll just keep an eye on the date and see how it goes. Please include me on any PMs re: logistics. I'm coming from the far west side of Phoenix if that helps someone else by meeting up along the way.
If it's on the 19th, tell DARBY it's on the 26th...

Kent
Originally Posted by RufusG
I'd like to try to make it down this time just to meet the "local" folks. My life is not predictable that far in advance so I'll just keep an eye on the date and see how it goes. Please include me on any PMs re: logistics. I'm coming from the far west side of Phoenix if that helps someone else by meeting up along the way.

We usually have guys carpooling from the valley, we'll keep you in the loop.

Kent
Posted By: azcoues Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/15/12
I'm never in a position to commite 100%

this shindig was awesome last yr and looks to out do it with the # of people easily.

may need more seating and a bigger area than the hay bales- though they were a great wind break and worked well to provide reflecting heat from the fire pit!

I'll know more as time gets closer!

i do look forward to seeing the guys /gals from last yr. and meeting new people.

if Ken brings 1/2 the stuff from last yr - the swap/buy will be a success!
Pork'Eye Bump!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Can those targets be a little closer? smile And bigger?
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/15/12
Pork'Eye Bump!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hey, that looks like the back of my truck!!!

Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Hey, that looks like the back of my truck!!!

I'll bet you recognize this guy, and this truck too.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: azcoues Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/15/12
thought you all might like this too!

Attached picture 536616_3263764213083_767755171_n.jpg
FYI I just asked RickBin to sticky this for us. That will keep it on the top for us while we pass the time until January.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/16/12
I was just going to bump it, but what the hell-- bump!
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/16/12
Originally Posted by 1371

Tell that old man that this older man sez BE THERE � AND THAT'S AN ORDER!
� RIOT GUNS ONLY �

If I make it down there, I'll bring a 12-gauge double "coach gun."

OK?
Posted By: krp Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/16/12
I'll bring some buckshot loads... and birdshot to shoot trap.

Kent

I can barly spel shottgun shotgunn � aw, fuhgeddaboudit!

Shootin' the trap ain't sportin'.
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/17/12
� I'd wear my chinques- and nothing else! �

By all means, do that!

We're gonna need a running target to make things really lively.

Shooters jiggling with giggling'll add immensely to the sporting aspect.

(Greg, lay-in a good supply of Ace bandages for binding sore ribs.)
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/17/12
just read this thread, sure wish i could come, i sure enjoyed the campfire in N.M. last summer. but its hunting season here and i will be guideing quail hunters, and booked for the season thru feb. you all have a good time and i hope to see you at N.M. next summer rio7

We'll hold a log or a stump for you at the 2013 Quemado 'dig!

Enjoyed your company at the last one!

Meanwhile, Good Hunting! (I think that all of us'd much rather be down there with you.)
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/18/12

Shootin' the trap ain't sportin'.

It is if you're 1/2 mile away!

Ed
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/18/12
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/19/12
� I'd wear my chinques- and nothing else! �

By all means, do that!

We're gonna need a running target to make things really lively.

Shooters jiggling with giggling'll add immensely to the sporting aspect.

(Greg, lay-in a good supply of Ace bandages for binding sore ribs.)

Sporting aspect?!?! Those of us not rolling on the ground in laughter will be too aghast to shoot! grin

Ed
I've read my Range manuals and regs cover to cover twice, Boys and Girls.

NO WHERE does it say a thing about "Required Clothing", the LACK,or excess thereof.

As CRSO of the upcoming third annual Porkeye shoot, it is ta' herefore my solemn and sworn duty to inform you that folks attending can wear, or discard whatever clothing they see FIT.

Hearing and eye protection is encouraged,......no nudity will be allowed near ML Arty.

Haw,.....

GTC

Would being nude whilst firing said artillery be similar to using a cutting torch whilst nude? OR frying bacon while similarly un-attired? grin

If the weather is similar to last year's, I don't believe we'll have any issues with "un-dress", and if we do, I think it will be a "short" matter. laugh

Ed
One should never fry bacon without a shirt on, and I'm inclined to believe that shooting a black powder artillery piece might put one in the same type of harm.
"Nekkid Welding" sounds like some sorta BIZARRE reality TV show.

Crap,....that's oxy moronic,...."Reality TV",...ain't it?

GTC
Checking in after a weekend in the high country...
Couple pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tom,

That sure doesn't look like Sierra Vista!

Joel, my ex-wife can attest to the topless bacon cooking warning! Sometimes I can learn from other people's mistakes. grin

Ed
East Verde River outside of Payson, Az.

Were you there hiding from the kids?

Ed
Posted By: antlers Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/19/12

Payson is a beautiful town. I came upon it when I took some backroad between Holbrook and Winslow and traveled down it to Scottsdale Summer before last. Great drive too! I was really impressed with that town.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/19/12
Hi. No response, therefore no result, in getting a "sticky" for the SV shindig in Jan. Time is passing and the upcoming holidays will consume time/access - and maybe needed planning.

Maybe some closest to the SV scene could confer by PM and figure out who should start/address a group PM for all interested.

In that regard, maybe those interested in being included in the group PM should say so here - seems not possible to add new addressees once the group PM is started.

Just a thought.
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/20/12
Y'all can either include me or omit me, since I can't offer anything toward the planning. Whatever y'all decide, it'll be hunky-dory with me.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/20/12
Y'all can either include me or omit me, since I can't offer anything toward the planning. Whatever y'all decide, it'll be hunky-dory with me.

Yeah, right. Like we'd leave YOU out of the planning! About like leaving the Coach out of the game planning!

Dream on Mister, you're not going to slink off into the corner!

Ed
Hi. No response, therefore no result, in getting a "sticky" for the SV shindig in Jan. �

Rick is awful quiet lately, isn't he? Busy? Asleep? Courting? Absent?

Hope all's well over at Bin Castle!

Sho' do wish that he'd deign to join us at one of our shindigs � preferably with the kids.
Ed, my wife's birthday falls on thanksgiving day this year. So we decided to send the kids to my sister for weekend. We had an amazing time...

So far the PM I sent Rick is showing as unread. Hopefully we can get that stickied soon.
Lets ride out this week and try keeping it bumped, and then maybe this weekend or early next week get the group PM rolling.

Everyone who wants in on the group PM please chime in here!

� So far the PM I sent Rick is showing as unread. �

He hasn't read either the PM that I sent him 11-1 or the one that I sent him 11-2.

I'm worried.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/20/12

GTC

sounds like a really short series. First spark in the wrong place and even a Democrat would wise up and wear clothes. smile I can personally attest that Shoeless Soldering was something I quickly abandoned in my youth grin

GTC

sounds like a really short series. First spark in the wrong place and even a Democrat would wise up and wear clothes. smile I can personally attest that Shoeless Soldering was something I quickly abandoned in my youth grin

Along the lines of my nephew wearing open-toe sandals and kicking piles of dirt in the pasture the first time he came to Texas. Piles of dirt that were actually Fire Ant mounds...

Ed
Or like Mrs Edgar Howell's four-year-old trying to "fix" a household electrical problem by sticking a hairpin into a wall socket. Some lessons take only once, to be vividly remembered for decades.
I recall that wielding a cutting torch while wearing those nylon Adidas sneakers that were so popular back in the 70's wasn't a stellar idea either...
Posted By: Enrique Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/20/12
Won't get into details, but i have heard from Rick, just nothing related to the campfire. All is well from my understanding. I asked for a sticky too, but no luck so far. Maybe he is on vacation from the campfire or maybe he affraid of backlash for the Obama ads lol!!!!
Either way i'll keep bugging him for the sticky and maybe he'll show up soon on here or somewhere.

Hope all you guys are doing well. Hopefully i will have a computer soon cuz this typing on my evo sucks.

Kique
I recall that wielding a cutting torch while wearing those nylon Adidas sneakers that were so popular back in the 70's wasn't a stellar idea either...

In my special ed class, that would have been classified "Toopid".

....did you know that I graduated at the top of my special ed class ?

GTC

GTC

I never knew that you was gradjitated! I was a star of the Learnin' Derby myself, 'cept when it came to fire 'n stuff.
� did you know that I graduated at the top of my special ed class ? �

I'm jealous!

I was captain of our Olympic fencing team, and we were all ready to go when somebody stole our post-hole-diggers. frown
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/20/12
Or like Mrs Edgar Howell's four-year-old trying to "fix" a household electrical problem by sticking a hairpin into a wall socket. Some lessons take only once, to be vividly remembered for decades.

When I was 9 or so my bike became difficult to pedal. I told Dad, who looked at it, pronounced the chain rusty, and oiled it - which made it work great again. A few weeks later a little tape recorder I had quit working. Dad was rather startled to find me disassembling the tape recorder, which obviously needed oil, according to my logic...
In the 1920s, Cap'n Jake Lowry owned the general store in Burnt Corn [sic], Alabama. He drove his first automobile like a wild man � would come to the store at top speed and at the last second or so slam-on the brake just in time to stop the car a few inches shy of the broad front steps.

That was well before the introduction of hydraulic brakes. The mechanical brake on Cap'n Jake's car was an asbestos-lined steel band that tightened around a flywheel on the drive shaft.

It started squeaking when Cap'n Jake stomped the pedal.

So he oiled it �

� and took-out his front steps.

But it didn't squeak.

GTC

Did you know that that class was named after me? grin

Ed
Yup,

.......Short Bus Paradise, it were.

GTC
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/21/12
Greg,

I know you're busy, but have you and CoupdeGrace put the finishing touches on the artillery piece you have been working on? The one with the fast twist salvage barrel?

Ed
Nope, in the truest sense of the word, THAT project is hanging fire.

I DID take in a rather largish chunk of large bore barrel that Coup is making eyes at. I guess he's looking at building a 'Rough and ready' rig like my Mt. Howitz.

I'd like to SELL Mine, and be thereby inspired (and financed) to complete that Long Gun that's laying out back, waiting.

Greg
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/21/12
Not that I can afford it right now, but do you have a figure in mind for your Mt. Howitzer?

Ed
Yes,......but I'd sooner see ya' behind the kicking end of the Indian Warrior, first,.......that thing was BUILT for you, ya' know.

Fixin' to indicate that big custom tapered octagon to round .450 /.458" Badger in the big four jaw, this afternoon, and give thanks for alla' my blessings by profiling the shank for that fancy schmancy rig I've been working on for the last decade. I do figure that once it's finished it'll become my main BPCR.

The Mtn. Howitz, and all the kit to run it (ball mold excluded)will go for U.S.$ 3500.

THAT is a STEAL.

GTC
Posted By: Border Doc Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/22/12

Please include me on the Elite List of Invitees.

If nothing else, you can laugh at my shooting prowess while drinking some Campfire Coffee.

Maybe I'll first pass a swab through the barrel to check for mud daubers, then a shot or two for practice.

Happy Birthday to your wife, Thomas. Is she allowed to do all the trim-to-length reloading chores she wants?
She thanks you for the birthday wishes sir.
She lends a hand loading on the rare occasion, but she is really more of fancy purse and jewelry type of gal. Though she has her own .357, and loves to shoot my .41 Mag. Does it well too.

You're on the list of course my friend.
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/22/12
Originally Posted by Border Doc
Please include me on the Elite List of Invitees. �

You're not invited, Jim � for the simple reason that with or without Niki, you don't need an invitation.

And you're not welcome until you show-up � again with or without Niki (but preferably � ).

Thought you knew that already! laugh
Shameless bump
I am planning on rolling out a group PM on this in the next day or so.
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/27/12
Just read this thread. Sure wish i could come. I sure enjoyed the campfire in NM last summer, but it's hunting season here and I will be guiding quail hunters, and booked for the season thru Feb. You all have a good time and I hope to see you at NM next summer.

We'll miss you, Blue, of course, but we all understand why you can't be in two places, however desirable, at the same time. We'll just hafta swallow hard, accept the immutable antidruthers, and hope all the more for an even richer shindig here in NM next summer.

All too often in this world, we hafta laugh to keep from crying, and there'll certainly be some hard lumps in the throats beneath our grins, giggles, and guffaws in January. We'll probably be wishin' for the pleasure of as many others as we'll be enjoying face-to-face fun and fellowship with. (This applies equally to all the others here who'd like to be with us but can't.)

Good hunting � and let the critters do all the bleeding!
Posted By: safariman Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/27/12
Since my wifes illness made me miss the big event in Quemedo, can I come to this one instead? My mom is snowbirding near there and we could come see her, too.

MARK
You're NOT invited, Mark �

� for the simple reason that no one needs an invitation � or permission.

And you can bring your others
!
I am planning on rolling out a group PM on this in the next day or so.
Add me to the list of PM's.
My older daughter, Evelyn Howell, lives in Mesa and edits stuff for ADOT (used to be at Arizona Highways). She doesn't like to drive longer than about 15�20 minutes but is willing to tolerate the 2�3-hour drive to Sierra Vista just to make sure that her useless Ol' Man doesn't misbehave too foolishly on his 82nd.

I hope that you guys won't misbehave too badly, either! laugh

(She's pretty and single, but she's about twice your age, Jon!)
Add me to PM list please.
Posted By: safariman Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/27/12
If there is a PM message going out soon, I would love to be made a part of it. How far away is Sieera Vist from the Grand Canyon?

Are there any hunting seasons open there in January? Good fishing opportunities? Sherri and I might make this the vacation that we missed last summer with her Breast Cancer treatments.

By the way, THANK YOU to all who held her up in prayer. She has to do the Tamoxophin thing for 5 years but so far as any Dr can tell the cancer is all gone and properly remedied with merely the small lumpectomy and following Radiation she went through already. She did GREAT through all of it, and we even had fun together while we were in Chicago getting her treatments and follow ups. Visited some museums, a nice steakhouse, Hard Rock Cafe twice, walked around the park at as well as swam in Lake Michigan, two different scenic boat tours on the lake etc.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/27/12

(She's pretty and single, but she's about twice your age, Jon!)

hmmmm....
Originally Posted by safariman
� How far away is Sierra Vista from the Grand Canyon? �

A tad over 400 miles.

Ain't no two places close to each other in the West.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/27/12
Mark,

Sierra Vista is about as far away from the Grand Canyon as you can get and still be in Arizona. However, the Grand Canyon is on the way. Quail seasons will still be underway and there is some good hunting both west and east of Sierra Vista. Water for fishing is hard to come by, thanks to our extended drought, but Kent and some of the other Arizona folks can undoubtedly point you in the right direction.

I really hope that you and Sherri can make it--we really regretted not being able to get you down to Quemado last summer.

Ben
Posted By: tdd4570 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/27/12
Bump

I have to figure out a way to make this gathering.

And/or the next one!
Hoping you'll make it,.....I'll see what out of state seasons will be rolling during that period, but Kent , Kique, Tom and co. will have a better handle on alla' that than I.

Greg

Cross, if anyone passes by here, I would be happy to provide some fire fodder, again. I just won't be able to transport same.

Mark
There were still live coals TWO WEEKS after the last one wound down.......that corner of the place never really got cold for the rest of the Winter.

Thanks for the reminder to start building up the somewhat depleted pile, Hombre.

GTC
Posted By: safariman Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/28/12
In case it is just me, what is the nearest airport? Does anyone who is going live nearby said airport?
If you're talking commercial service, Tucson is the closest. SV has an airport (joint use civil/military with a huge runway, was an alternate for the Shuttle) but the civil side is pretty much General Aviation only.
Tucson is the closest, but you may have better luck flying into Phoenix. If thats the case it should no trouble carpooling or whatever with one of us us valley folks.

To all I will be sending angroup pm out tomorrow afternoon. I will run a list of those of all the names by this thread first just to make sure I have everybody included that should be.

Thanks guys!
Tucson is the closest, but you may have better luck flying into Phoenix. If thats the case it should no trouble carpooling or whatever with one of us us valley folks.
To all I will be sending angroup pm out tomorrow afternoon. I will run a list of those of all the names by this thread first just to make sure I have everybody included that should be.

Thanks guys!

Beat me to it,......Higher Campfire density there.

GTC
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/28/12
� and probably lower fares and more flights into and out of Sky Harbor.

Won't some of you guys be coming right by it?

Ideal would be a red-eye into Sky Harbor and an early-morning pick-up by one of the more easily tolerable guys who're driving down.

(Yes, Virginia, some of the guys are more easily tolerable than some of the others!) laugh
I am coming down the same as last year i.e. early satruday a.m. arrive in S.V. and leave after dinner. If the schedules work I am happy to share the truck.
There were still live coals TWO WEEKS after the last one wound down. That corner of the place never really got cold for the rest of the Winter. �

I sho' did � shivering out there all by myself and unable to keep the fire up while y'all were off stayin' warm some'res else.

But my teeth � scattered who-knows-where elsewhere in the world at the time � weren't castanetting (as far I know!). I don't think that any two of 'em were within miles of each other. (I think that some o' these ol' bones rattled some � but that coulda been all in my head.) laugh

Next time, I'm gonna park what's left of this ol' carcass inside! I didn't enjoy my rattles all that much four score years ago.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/28/12
I think i am going to probably haul my trailer down there for the weekend. My girl super golden retriever puppy does like a warm place to sleep.
thats assuming that gracie doesn't eat her.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/28/12
Ken,

We'll just build a bigger fire with a reflector behind your chair and take turns rotating you. You'll be properly toasted in no time! grin

I'm still uncertain about being able to make it. Work comes first, and my schedule isn't carved in stone yet.

Ed
There were still live coals TWO WEEKS after the last one wound down. That corner of the place never really got cold for the rest of the Winter. �

I sho' did � shivering out there all by myself and unable to keep the fire up while y'all were off stayin' warm some'res else.

But my teeth � scattered who-knows-where elsewhere in the world at the time � weren't castanetting (as far I know!). I don't think that any two of 'em were within miles of each other. (I think that some o' these ol' bones rattled some � but that coulda been all in my head.) laugh

Next time, I'm gonna park what's left of this ol' carcass inside! I didn't enjoy my rattles all that much four score years ago.

Ken it does get cold that time of year down there. One thought that just occured to me would be a long extension cord and an electric blanket that would keep the chill out while still allowing to sit outside.
Gracie is really good about other dogs, Ron,......the one's that stay out of her face, anyhow.

Ed, Damn fine idea about throwing up some "Reflectix" in an arc, up under that ramada.

Ron, The 'lectric blanket stunt would certainly work,....there's all sorts of outlets back there.

I better get with Mark and line out some straw bales.

GTC
Alright here is what I have compiled fr name I will be adding to the group PM:
krp
tex_n_cal
mudhen
APDDSN0864
crossfireoops
Ken Howell
Scott F
mark shubert
DigitalDan
elkhunternm
dennisinaz
stxhunter
chesterpulley
DARBY
milespatton
CoupdeGrace
tdd4570
Enrique
azrancher
azcoues
Border Doc
SU35
RufusG
safariman
websterparish47
RoninPhx
jmgraham1986
HugAJackass

There are a couple that I added just in case they were interested.
If you can think of any additional folks let me know a.s.a.p. as I will be starting the group pm later this afternoon. Likewise if you name isn't on the list let me know so I can add you.

Its getting closer fellas! See ya at the Pork'Eye
Tom
Revised/updated list:
krp
tex_n_cal
mudhen
APDDSN0864
crossfireoops
Ken Howell
Scott F
mark shubert
DigitalDan
elkhunternm
dennisinaz
stxhunter
chesterpulley
DARBY
milespatton
CoupdeGrace
tdd4570
Enrique
azrancher
azcoues
Border Doc
SU35
RufusG
safariman
websterparish47
RoninPhx
jmgraham1986
HugAJackass
270jrk

and a bump since we aren't stickied.
curdog4570
Revised/updated list:
krp
tex_n_cal
mudhen
APDDSN0864
crossfireoops
Ken Howell
Scott F
mark shubert
DigitalDan
elkhunternm
dennisinaz
stxhunter
chesterpulley
DARBY
milespatton
CoupdeGrace
tdd4570
Enrique
azrancher
azcoues
Border Doc
SU35
RufusG
safariman
websterparish47
RoninPhx
jmgraham1986
HugAJackass
270jrk
curdog4570

For those coming from the east,I can take 5-6 people in my truck. Just make a stop in Las Cruces,New Mexico,PM me.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/28/12
Hey guys, I'm seriously honored that you would have me along down there in SV.

Would love to meet you and looks like loads of fun.

But it's going to be a far reach for me to get there.

I'm moving "back" to AZ, Prescott area, at the first of the year and will hit the ground running.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/28/12
Revised/updated list:
krp
tex_n_cal
mudhen
APDDSN0864
crossfireoops
Ken Howell
Scott F
mark shubert
DigitalDan
elkhunternm
dennisinaz
stxhunter
chesterpulley
DARBY
milespatton
CoupdeGrace
tdd4570
Enrique
azrancher
azcoues
Border Doc
SU35
RufusG
safariman
websterparish47
RoninPhx
jmgraham1986
HugAJackass
270jrk
curdog4570

Need to add Paul (CCCC).
SU35
Would you like us to keep you in on the PM as a just in case situation? 1371 originally mentioned bringing you with him.

Hope the move goes smooth for you.

Ben thanks for cathing that mistake!
I had CCCC on the paper list, but must have skipped him when transferring copying it to the forum... whoops I meant to do that to DARBY grin

Revised/updated list:
krp
tex_n_cal
mudhen
APDDSN0864
crossfireoops
Ken Howell
Scott F
mark shubert
DigitalDan
elkhunternm
dennisinaz
stxhunter
chesterpulley
DARBY
milespatton
CoupdeGrace
tdd4570
Enrique
azrancher
azcoues
Border Doc
SU35
RufusG
safariman
websterparish47
RoninPhx
jmgraham1986
HugAJackass
270jrk
curdog4570
CCCC

Miss Lynn
achildofthesky
houndgirl
Shooting Lady
RIO7
Rocky Raab

If all the guys who're already on that list come to the shindig, this'n'll be the best one yet.

And we shouldn't omit anybody just because we already know that he won't be able to join the rest of us. Keep 'im "one of us" � even wistful � and he'll be that much more eager to join us at a later shindig. I'm sure that anybody who's been to one shindig will be eager to come to as many later ones as he can make it to.

And we gotta use every way that we can to tantalize certain not-yetters whom we'd especially like to welcome to our fellowship.

Revised/updated list:
krp
tex_n_cal
mudhen
APDDSN0864
crossfireoops
Ken Howell
Scott F
mark shubert
DigitalDan
elkhunternm
dennisinaz
stxhunter
chesterpulley
DARBY
milespatton
CoupdeGrace
tdd4570
Enrique
azrancher
azcoues
Border Doc
SU35
RufusG
safariman
websterparish47
RoninPhx
jmgraham1986
HugAJackass
270jrk
curdog4570
CCCC
Miss Lynn
achildofthesky
houndgirl
Shooting Lady
RIO7
Rocky Raab

Added those names now as well.
I seriously doubt that I will be there, but I want to stay on the list. My wife is not in good health and that is the time of the year that we are most likely to lose power due to ice, and she can not do the generator thing. Hopefully I can get a good long range forecast and make it, but I doubt it right now. miles
I knew there was an issue there, and I certainly understand I know the other guysdo as well. I was figuring on keeping you, and anyothers who were "maybes" the loop.
fingers crossed and hope for the best.
Please put me on the pm list for this. I am gona try and make it this year, if it is ok with all involved
You're on the list!
I am going to let this ride for another couple of hours to catch any stragglers.
I'll likely send the group PM around 5:00 PM Arizona time.

Revised/updated list:
krp
tex_n_cal
mudhen
APDDSN0864
crossfireoops
Ken Howell
Scott F
mark shubert
DigitalDan
elkhunternm
dennisinaz
stxhunter
chesterpulley
DARBY
milespatton
CoupdeGrace
tdd4570
Enrique
azrancher
azcoues
Border Doc
SU35
RufusG
safariman
websterparish47
RoninPhx
jmgraham1986
HugAJackass
270jrk
curdog4570
CCCC
Miss Lynn
achildofthesky
houndgirl
Shooting Lady
RIO7
Rocky Raab
mohave_mauler1
Up for any stragglers.

* added some music so its not just a bump wink
The group PM will be out shortly folks!
Posted By: tsquare Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/30/12
BTT
TT
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/30/12
Howdy, T�, ol' buddy!
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/30/12
Keeping it up... grin

Ed
TT we'd love it if you were able to join us.
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/30/12
Howdy, T�, ol' buddy!

You gonna drop around to see us at the next one? � I hope!

Guys, ol' Tom's one of the best gun writers and photographers in the business, and I'm flattered to be one of his friends.

(But don't let 'im know that I said so!)
Posted By: tsquare Re: Shindig in Sierra Vista - 11/30/12
Guys,

Don't believe all that stuff Ken is spouting, but I am more than flattered that he wrote it. He and John Amber taught me just about everything I know about this business, so anytime my stuff stinks, he's partly to blame!!!

Getting by the shindig is going to be a bit of a stretch as I'll be in Vegas for SHOT just before, and headed to Reno for the FEGA expo and SCI a week or so after. I'll get by for awhile somehow though, either at Greg's or at the range. January is very busy for me as before SHOT, I'll be in Dallas for the DSC and the ACGG expo. Added to that, I've got a book to finish up and get to the publisher in early March. I figger I can take a break sometime around the Ides of March!

TT
© 24hourcampfire