Home
I posted this in the Talk To Webmaster forum and never got an answer.

Originally Posted by fish head
My firewall is detecting almost constant traffic and my browser at times won't stop downloading ads. Sometimes the webpage will load but at other times it never stops.

It never used to be that way and it's causing high memory usage with chrome (I think). Is it something on my end?

I've been using Chrome but I kept having a problem with the fire and non stop loading of pages, running low on virtual memory and finally Chrome seizing up.

I fixt it. smile I downloaded AdBlock for Chrome and problem solved.

Sorry Rick ... no more ads for me. It just wasn't working with my computer.
I've been getting the same thing. Bummer, I'm on an iPad and Adblock doesn't support IOS.

Bob
I'm seeing the same.???
Using Firefox and AdBlock, it did happen to me the other day as well. The icon in the tab above just kept rotating which signifies something trying to load onto the page. I tried a few things but to no avail. What DID work finally was a simple reload of the browser. If you have multiple pages open, close them ALL. Then return to see if the problem persists.

If the ads were static and not dynamic with moving/flashing objects and other animations making them as annoying as Ackley's avatar, they would not be so bad. A few sponsors at the top of each page load, changing as we peruse the site, fine, it's the moving ones that are made to catch one's eye but they also annoy greatly hence we have to use softwares and add-ons to cancel them out of our view.

Banner ads (above each page) rather than side window ones are much easier to tolerate IMO.

My firewall is detecting almost constant traffic and my browser at times won't stop downloading ads. Sometimes the webpage will load but at other times it never stops.

It never used to be that way and it's causing high memory usage with chrome (I think). Is it something on my end?

I've been using Chrome but I kept having a problem with the fire and non stop loading of pages, running low on virtual memory and finally Chrome seizing up.

I fixt it. smile I downloaded AdBlock for Chrome and problem solved.

Sorry Rick ... no more ads for me. It just wasn't working with my computer.
I had to resort to that a few months ago. Same sort of problem.
I'd never used adblock and Chrome until a month or so ago when everybody was having the 'back' issue. Hitting back wouldn't do anything, just reload the page with apr.liljit or some such page address. Did this on my laptop, desktop, and now this week started on my work computer. Only issue on 24HCF.

Adblock fixed it for me.
FWIW, I tried uninstalling and reloading Chrome but to no avail.

It's the dynamic ads and not the simple .gif flashy avatars (they're static). Multiple open pages with Chrome will suck memory to a degree but it's constant downloading and updating of ads that's the true culprit of problems with the fire.

I'm not an expert but that's my best understanding of it.

I've been having the same problem for a long time. Sent Rick a PM about it and never got an answer. I don't think that he ever read that PM.

I just log onto the 'fire again whenever that *&^%$#@! happens.
In case anybody is wondering how to get AdBlock for Chrome just go to the Chrome Web Store, scroll down, find AdBlock and click on download. It's free, simple and easy peasy.
Also having another version of the same problem �

� go into a thread from the main forum, and the main forum terminates behind it.
Originally Posted by Bobcape
I've been getting the same thing. Bummer, I'm on an iPad and Adblock doesn't support IOS.

Bob

Try atomic web browser for iOS. It solved that issue for me on the forums here.
In case anybody is wondering how to get AdBlock for Chrome just go to the Chrome Web Store, scroll down, find AdBlock and click on download. It's free, simple and easy peasy.

Why am I not finding the download link?
Originally Posted by EdM

https://chrome.google.com/webstore#detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom/details
Every browser is a bit different and not every site or ad is tested on every browser, so you are going to experience problems with some ads and with some pages members link to. Lots of people don't like IE, but it's the one browser ever webpage is tested on because 80 to 90 percent of people still use IE. I know because I have looked at the log files for the website where I work.

I use Kaspersky Internet Security, which among other things hooks into a database listing URLs known to launch malware. Every once in a while Kaspersky pops up a message after blocking some ad from one of those known nasty websites.

If you are running some browser that doesn't connect with your security software you may end up with malware on your computer that you'll only find when you do a full scan. That's just another reason to stick with IE or at least a popular browser.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by EdM

https://chrome.google.com/webstore#detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom/details

That is exactly where I have landed but I do not see a place to click "download"?
I have suggested before, that Rick look into paid memberships for the 'fire.
That might allow him to maintain his needed income level, and yet reduce the constant, non stop, and increasing advertising.
I realize that the Campfire is Rick's means of support and income, but there is more than one way to skin a cat (sorry Terry).
If folks leave or stop coming by so often due to aggravation with the advertising and the problems that causes, his income will drop.
I can't stop the pages from reloading omn my Ipad. Does anyone know how to fix that?
Originally Posted by blackdogsrule
I can't stop the pages from reloading omn my Ipad. Does anyone know how to fix that?

I installed "Atomic Web Browser" from the app store. I think it we $0.99 and has an ad blocker feature. Stopped the constant page reloading on my iPad.
Wow! Adblock just made the 'fire smokin' azzed fast. Nice!
Originally Posted by Stush
Originally Posted by blackdogsrule

I installed "Atomic Web Browser" from the app store. I think it we $0.99 and has an ad blocker feature. Stopped the constant page reloading on my iPad.

I just downloaded the $.99 browser app. Wow! Problem solved. Amazingly fast! Thanks.

Bob
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by EdM

That is exactly where I have landed but I do not see a place to click "download"?

Try this link.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/popular
Originally Posted by MacLorry
Every browser is a bit different and not every site or ad is tested on every browser, so you are going to experience problems with some ads and with some pages members link to. Lots of people don't like IE, but it's the one browser ever webpage is tested on because 80 to 90 percent of people still use IE. I know because I have looked at the log files for the website where I work.

I use Kaspersky Internet Security, which among other things hooks into a database listing URLs known to launch malware. Every once in a while Kaspersky pops up a message after blocking some ad from one of those known nasty websites.

If you are running some browser that doesn't connect with your security software you may end up with malware on your computer that you'll only find when you do a full scan. That's just another reason to stick with IE or at least a popular browser.

A big problem I have with the fire and IE is security warnings due to the ads. I get four or five pop-up warnings every time I open a page and they have to be closed in order to navigate to forum. The way I have security set up with IE, my anti- virus software (AVG) and the two malware protection programs I have makes the fire totally unusable. I goggled the problem and found others have had the same problem but the source of warnings was difficult if not impossible to determine and correct.

I finally figured out a solution by blocking the ad websites from loading with the firewall in my modem. Unfortunately my modem crapped out and I went back to an older modem without a configurable firewall.

Switching to Chrome worked for a while until Rick installed dynamic ads that created a new set of problems. AdBlock cured that and now the fire is running smoothly and fast as ever.

I don't have a problem with Rick earning a living with ads and they don't bother me but when the functionality of fire degraded to the point of rendering it useless I had to find a cure.

Hey Rick, can you hear me now? grin
© 24hourcampfire