Home
Posted By: GeauxLSU Best 3 day hike in America? - 11/29/12
OK, me and three guys are attempting to do a rim-to-rim Grand Canyon hike in the spring but it appears the odds of getting the permit are long. So, we are trying to find a backup plan. Those three guys are not big outdoorsmen so 'the wilds of Alaska' are not an option.
What would you suggest from any first hand experiences?
Glacier
Do a south rim (via the Kiabab Trail) to river to south rim (via the Bright Angel Trail) hike. Then drive up to Manitou Springs and climb Pike's Peak via the Barr Trail.
Can't do Alaska and the overnight permits are the problem with the GC.
I can't fathom backpacking with three dudes but Glacier would be a safe bet.

Travis
Anywhere on the Appalachian Trail. Just not during the winter or early spring.
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
...and the overnight permits are the problem with the GC.

You don't need overnight permits to do a south rim to river to south rim hike. You don't have to overnight in the canyon to get it done.
Posted By: djs Re: Best 3 day hike in America? - 11/29/12
There are several cross park hikes in Glacier National Park that are spectacular. I did 2 of them (in 1960 and '61) on Glacier trail-crews and they are indeed well worth the trip. go for it!
Posted By: BrentD Re: Best 3 day hike in America? - 11/29/12
OK, me and three guys are attempting to do a rim-to-rim Grand Canyon hike in the spring but it appears the odds of getting the permit are long. So, we are trying to find a backup plan. Those three guys are not big outdoorsmen so 'the wilds of Alaska' are not an option.

A circuit of the Sage Creek Unit of Badlands NP.
Posted By: Brad Re: Best 3 day hike in America? - 11/29/12
"Best 3 day hike in America?"

You're kidding, right?

There is no such thing as "best"... there' just a variety of diamonds with different colors.

Personally I don't consider anything inside the borders of a NP "best."

Originally Posted by deflave

The OP said spring, but not how early in the spring. Glacier's best trails open when?
Pick a spot in Utah.
Originally Posted by Brad
Personally I don't consider anything inside the borders of a NP "best."

Generally, I would agree with you, but BLNP is an exception, esp. in the early spring (mid March). And this is just a 3-day affair.
Posted By: Brad Re: Best 3 day hike in America? - 11/29/12
It's good because no one goes there.
The issue with Glacier is that at any time those cross-park trails can be shut down due to high grizzly bear activity. I worked there for a summer and tried to do the High Line 3 times and it was always closed by the time I got to the trail head.

To be honest, having lived and worked in Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton plus lived in Wyoming and Colorado for 40 years, If somebody asked me where to hike, I'd pick one place- The Cirque of Towers in Wyoming's Wind River Range. One day to Big Sandy. One day to day hike to the Cirque and one day back. 5 miles to Big Sandy and not far from there to the Cirque. There are hundreds of lakes in the Winds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I like Havasaupai Falls, day in, spend the night, explore the falls next day, hike out the 3rd day.

it's part of the GC but the Havasaupai Indians run it, google their website and call early, the office seems to run on Indian time.

it was a great trip for me and momma and our two sprouts, 14 and 10 at the time
here's the link to the spot I was referencing
http://www.havasupaitribe.com/mooney.html
Sawtooths from Stanley to Grandjean??
Originally Posted by Brad
It's good because no one goes there.

Pretty much. Esp. in Mid March. Might not be for everyone, but I like it
Posted By: MO2AZ Re: Best 3 day hike in America? - 11/29/12
WCCowboy-
My favorite BP destination. Did the whole WR range from Flattop to Big Sandy back about 1973. 2 Weeks on the trail--the Highline Trail as I recall. We BP'ed several years in there--my new wife had really never been camping, much less BPing. She loved it and it became an annual trek for years. I recognized some of your pix as soon as I saw them. Could drink the water back then without filters/boiling...changed now but was cool not to have to carry more than a pint of water till you reached the next small stream for resupply. Took our 2 boys on their 1st BP there as well. Many good fishing streams and lakes...learned to love fly fishing there. Thanks for those pix.Great memories.One point on a Spring trip...I took my brother and 2 of my students in in late May/early June and snow banks were still 4-5 feet deep in the shadows. Had to pack out and back to Pinedale to rent snowshoes. Yeehaaaa! that was a fun new experience. Wish I hadn't gotten old...would like to go back to some favorite spots. I hope you enjoy it as long as you can. I envey your access to that great country. wink Best,

Joe
Posted By: ribka Re: Best 3 day hike in America? - 11/29/12
Another for Glacier NP

Hike that area quite a bit and spectacular
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by deflave

The OP said spring, but not how early in the spring. Glacier's best trails open when?

I missed that. You're right, scratch Glacier.

Travis
Posted By: krp Re: Best 3 day hike in America? - 11/29/12

You really should not have a problem getting a permit for the rim to rim... you can't apply until the first day of the forth month from you desired month. If that's april, apply on Dec 1st. People applying late are the ones not getting permits.

Havasupai as Randy mentioned is also a great hike and not hard to get permitted for.

Kent
The instigator of this trip did Havasaupai Falls this year so that's out. I realize we could do a rim to river to rim (or for that matter rim to rim) without needing an overnight permit but part of the point is to spend a few nights out and not race through the hike. I'd be PERFECTLY fine with day hikes out from the lodge. If we don't get our permits for the GC, we could do most any time of year. I'd personally prefer fall but I think the instigator is itching to go sooner than later.
Grand Tetons were mentioned. I mentioned the App Trail just for ease of logistics but it got shot down. They want to go west.
Centennial trail in the black hills, its a long one but you can pick your stretches you want to do, trout in the streams, beautiful views and not too high in altitude for those who are first timers. plus it's not terribly hard to find cell reception in the event there is a problem. chance to see elk, deer, sheep, goats mule deer and whitetails.

plus while out here you can see Rushmore, crazy horse and deadwood among other places.
Posted By: krp Re: Best 3 day hike in America? - 11/29/12
best weather for the GC is middle march through april and october... also the most popular.

Rim to rim in one day is for very advanced athletes. 21 miles if you take N Kaibab/S Kaibab and 24 miles if you take N Kaibab/Brightangel. 5000 ft elevation change.

Kent
Pike's is still an option. It's a 27 mile round trip from the trailhead at Manitou. And you can spend the night on the mountain at Barr Camp.
If the goal ain't killing or catching something I can't help.
Posted By: Woster Re: Best 3 day hike in America? - 11/29/12
For me, crossing over Gunsight Pass in Glacier, if you can do it in the summer. Spend a night at Lake Ellen Wilson and another at Gunsight Lake. Goats are everywhere at the pass, and can be agressive.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Anywhere on the Appalachian Trail. Just not during the winter or early spring.
The Appalachian Trail along the Blue Ridge is magnificent.
Mount Whitney in California can be done in one day, by the very fit, most people take two days - it is very rugged scenery. The trailhead is at 8000 feet and of course the peak is about 14,500, the highest in the lower 48. Along the same line, walking the pacific crest trail through the Sierra Nevada is very scenic
Hike along the north rim of Yosemite canyon. Park and Yosemite creek campground. Then hike 5 easy miles to rim and then along the rim for the best scenery in the world.
For something really different, and at sea level, hike the wild beach on the Pacific side of the Olympic Penninsula. That's a good three day hike. Might rain the whole time. Stunning visuals, towering rocks, rain forest, natural driftwood, reefs, tide pools. At the right time of year sea run cutthroats are in.

Some creek crossings and headlands, gotta watch for high tides. I've done parts of it, not the whole. My son has hiked the whole thing, and I think he started from just south of La Push. There are sections without road access that make for a good three day hike.

I missed that the OP was going in the spring. I'd go with Southern Utah - Bryce or Canyonlands.
Posted By: ppine Re: Best 3 day hike in America? - 11/29/12
So far this thread should be called "the most well known 3 day hikes in America." Look beyond the National Parks. There are great hikes in every western state that are doable almost all year. I am not going to name them because this is too public of a forum. Look in some guide books. Look up some websites. Ask around.
Posted By: ppine Re: Best 3 day hike in America? - 11/29/12
Okanagan,
Good idea. It is great to see the elk herds grazing on seaweed. My family is from WA since 1889.

My Dad is 88 years old and expressed interest in going deer hunting one last time next year. I plan to take him to "the Okanagan" in north central WA.
Paintbrush canyon in the tetons is nice but probably not open that early.
I vote Mt Katahdin in Maine or the presidential range in New Hampshire ending on top of Mt Washington. Katahdin is gorgeous, and Mt Washington is billed as home of the worlds worst weather with world record wind speed being recorded there over 200 mph. All the buildings are cabled to the ground. Only problem is both can get touristy. Katahdin less so.
1100 miles of trails within Glacier National Park.

I've probably hiked about 30 miles of them,..maybe a bit more.

They're all fantastic.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

They're all fantastic.

My first trip west was to Glacier in the summer of 1969, with 15 boys in our Explorer Post...all military dependents...

one of the guys Granddad's had just retired from the Air Force as a Major General, and had a 6,000 acre spread at Great Falls, that served as our base camp...Land he bought from the military, just after the end of WW 2...for peanuts.

Can't remember all the trails we hiked, but all in all we were there a month almost and hiked 292 miles total...

we never could get into Philmont because there was a waiting list in the Wash DC council... so we went to Glacier...

that holds a special place in my heart....

I have hiked the entire Appalachian Trail from Maine to Georgia, and as wonderful as it is.. it doesn't touch the awesomeness of the American and Canadian West...
Posted By: bea175 Re: Best 3 day hike in America? - 12/02/12
Grayson Highland State Park and Mt Rogers in Virginia
Originally Posted by Seafire

They're all fantastic.

My first trip west was to Glacier in the summer of 1969, with 15 boys in our Explorer Post...all military dependents...

one of the guys Granddad's had just retired from the Air Force as a Major General, and had a 6,000 acre spread at Great Falls, that served as our base camp...Land he bought from the military, just after the end of WW 2...for peanuts.

Can't remember all the trails we hiked, but all in all we were there a month almost and hiked 292 miles total...

we never could get into Philmont because there was a waiting list in the Wash DC council... so we went to Glacier...

that holds a special place in my heart....

I have hiked the entire Appalachian Trail from Maine to Georgia, and as wonderful as it is.. it doesn't touch the awesomeness of the American and Canadian West...

Yeah,...the first time one encounters the interior of Glacier National Park, they'll be awestruck.

The first time I went, my wife and I were backcountry camping.

The camping area we were at was close to several trailheads.

We decided to explore one the first morning there.

We had only planned to go a short distance, but we couldn't stop. There was just too much surreal scenery jumping out at us from every direction.

We stayed out all day,..got back to camp totally exhausted.

We explored a different trail every day we were there,..saw a lot but barely scratched the surface.
This is one hike we went on in Glacier,..The Grinnell Glacier trail. (this isn't my photo, but I have one taken from very close to the same vantage point)

Our camp was about a mile beyond the farthest lake you see in the photo.

The elevation changes quite a bit along the way.

It's been a long time, but as I recall, it's an 8 mile trip from the trailhead to the glacier.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
The issue with Glacier is that at any time those cross-park trails can be shut down due to high grizzly bear activity. I worked there for a summer and tried to do the High Line 3 times and it was always closed by the time I got to the trail head.

To be honest, having lived and worked in Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton plus lived in Wyoming and Colorado for 40 years, If somebody asked me where to hike, I'd pick one place- The Cirque of Towers in Wyoming's Wind River Range. One day to Big Sandy. One day to day hike to the Cirque and one day back. 5 miles to Big Sandy and not far from there to the Cirque. There are hundreds of lakes in the Winds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dang, if I don't believe you might be right. Gorgeous photos.
I'll put another vote in for southern Utah canyon country. Pariah Canyon, San Rafael Swell, Needles District of Canyonlands, any and all would be perfect. Pics from a Thanksgiving trip down Pariah:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: add Re: Best 3 day hike in America? - 12/03/12
Best 3 day hike in America?

Originally Posted by bea175
Grayson Highland State Park and Mt Rogers in Virginia

Do write for The Onion?
This is one hike we went on in Glacier,..The Grinnell Glacier trail. (this isn't my photo, but I have one taken from very close to the same vantage point)

Our camp was about a mile beyond the farthest lake you see in the photo.

The elevation changes quite a bit along the way.

It's been a long time, but as I recall, it's an 8 mile trip from the trailhead to the glacier.

That's a pretty slow pace over three days.

Travis
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Best 3 day hike in America? - 12/03/12
If the AT was seriously considered look at hiking in the Cohutta Wilderness area in north GA. It is more scenic than much of the AT, a true wilderness experience and a pretty close drive. The Jacks river and Conasauga river drainages are very scenic. You can also get in a lot of wilderness trout fishing.

Being so close you could easily do a 5 day or longer hike instead of spending the time driving across the country.
Originally Posted by JMR40
If the AT was seriously considered look at hiking in the Cohutta Wilderness area in north GA. It is more scenic than much of the AT, a true wilderness experience and a pretty close drive. The Jacks river and Conasauga river drainages are very scenic. You can also get in a lot of wilderness trout fishing.

Being so close you could easily do a 5 day or longer hike instead of spending the time driving across the country.
The other 3 guys live in south Louisiana and one of them has a plane and two of them have their pilot's license. They aren't worried about commute times. I'm the only pauper of the bunch. wink
Well hell they can just pick me up then lol.
Originally Posted by NathanL
Well hell they can just pick me up then lol.
You don't know these guys. I'm flying commercial! grin
Up and over the Enchantments in the Alpine Lakes area of Washington State.

A fabulous hike in the summer. Spring? Bring snowshoes.

http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/enchantment-lakes
© 24hourcampfire