Home
Someones post recently about hunting in the fog made me think it would be cool to see bad weather pics and hear the stories that went with them.

Don't have anything myself other than this photo from opening day of the 2010 Wisconsin gun deer season, some of you will remember that it was really thick. It got a lot worse after I took this shot. I was texting my brothers and nephews to ask how bad it was where they were at by the open fields, but I couldn't get any response. Found out later they were all sitting back at the house drinking beer and playing cards and laughing about the one clown sitting out there in the fog. Sure would have been nice to get the last laugh by bringing in a buck, but that didn't happen. Didn't see a single deer. I was convinced there was one just out of sight in the fog and he was going to step into view any minute. Did catch up with one a few days later though, so it was all good.

Pete

[Linked Image]
I don't have any pics, but ice fishing on Misery Bay (aptly named) on Erie, Pa's Presque Isle State Park HAS to be right up there. Fortunately, I did it before wind chill was invented....For the worst weather hunted in, I think a guy would have to go a bit to beat Leighton's New England duck hunts. Good God!!!
Got several severe weather fishing stories.....18+ years Active Duty Coast Guard will do that to ya! wink
Got caught in lightning while I was fishing one afternoon on the St Johns River. The lightning was so bad I think I cried cry .... I was 15-16......it was hitting everywhere. Had a chance to run from the storm, but kept fishing; bass were hitting like crazy. Had a boron rod that was actually buzzing right before the sh$# hit the fan. Dumb azzez we were.
AK Peninsula brown bear hunts are usually conducted in weather most states start evacuating and waiting for FEMA to bail them out!

Seems like every season there's a day or few that turn from hunting into surviving.
No pics but hunted southern Wyoming for mule deer and it was about 35 degrees with 30-40 mph wind, and driving misty rain for two days. At night it froze. All our gear was wet, it was too windy and wet for a fire and the wind pushed then tent so hard it was impossible to sleep. Cold, miserable hunt.
Originally Posted by trapperJ
AK Peninsula brown bear hunts are usually conducted in weather most states start evacuating and waiting for FEMA to bail them out!

Seems like every season there's a day or few that turn from hunting into surviving.

Yep.... my last Brown bear hunt saw me waiting out winds of what the guide told me were 100MPH. With sleet and rain coming down. Stung one's face but good if (when)you ventured outside.

On the other extreme, Lion Hunting in Northern Zim, late October 2007. Temerature hit 120 degrees and I, foollishly, took off on a sprint to try to get ahead of a large maned lion we spotted breifly. More then once..... When I calmed down and realized the lion had eluded my crosshiars I was so spent that I nearly did not make it all the way back to the Land Cruiser. All of us were hurting puppies at the end of that journey and hunt. Added to the heat were milllions of Tsetse flys anbnd black flies trying to steal the moisture form your lips, ears, eyes and nostrils plus the myriad of insects and spiders and snakes that are part of the Zimbabwe scene at that hot time of year. Quite miserable, that part of the safari.
Elk hunting the High Country of Colorado is the first to come to my mind .

[Linked Image]
Don't seem to have many pics of lousy hunting weather, I guess I never bother to take any. Here's one, on a rainy, misty day in elk rifle season last year.

[Linked Image]

Here's a few from fishing trips, though.

Winter steelhead fishing. Looks like a lovely day, what you can't see is the ice on the kayak paddles and fishing poles. Each time we stopped to fish, we had to melt the ice off of all the guides so the line would run free.

[Linked Image]

Couple from spring chinook season, certainly not the worst springer weather I've been out in though!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one is from a late summer ocean salmon fishing trip in 2011. I went out at the top of the tide, so I had to wait for the ebb to quit before I could safely come back in, so I was stuck out there for a few hours, worst part was I didn't even get a strike for almost seven hours of fishing in this crud!

[Linked Image]
Ditto on Leighton�s NE duck ordeals. I wouldn't like Safariman's heat either.

Have hunted fog in 20 foot visibility, for deer and also for geese. Hunted elk, moose and whitetails in cold lower than -40� but my worst conditions were on a four day backpack hunt for blacktail.

On the 8 mile hike uphill, wet snow blew sideways so heavy it was blinding, and then when the snow was 10 inches deep it turned to rain as we bivvied, with wind higher than ever. Wet sleeping bags all three nights, fortunately synthetics. By the first dawn great puddles formed on the bench where we camped between streams of water running through the sopping wet snow that was left. No pics of that but below are some similar blacktail conditions last Fall. You can see the sopping wet snow coming down thick against any dark background in each photo. It forms a thick layer of ice on rifle, scope, etc.

As I get older, sometimes I look out the window, and stay home. laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Okanagan
No pics of that but below are some similar blacktail conditions last Fall. You can see the sopping wet snow coming down thick against any dark background in each photo. It forms a thick layer of ice on rifle, scope, etc.

You win.... lol!
You guys would just laugh if I posted our worst winter conditions. Some of our best fishing is during hurricanes, if that counts.
ran out of gas 30 miles offshore one night, sea's 6-8 ft tropical storm down in the bay of campeche.
Originally Posted by red_alder_ranch
Originally Posted by Okanagan
No pics of that but below are some similar blacktail conditions last Fall. You can see the sopping wet snow coming down thick against any dark background in each photo. It forms a thick layer of ice on rifle, scope, etc.

You win.... lol!

Or lose!

I liked your steelhead pics. Here is one.

[Linked Image]
elk hunting several years ago the thermometer in the truck read -17, let's just say sleeping in a tent that night was not exactly fun,
Originally Posted by ltppowell
You guys would just laugh if I posted our worst winter conditions. Some of our best fishing is during hurricanes, if that counts.

Yup. Fished during tropical storm Gaston a few years ago off St. Augustine. 18 foot seas in a 30 foot center console. Caught the hell out of fish, but two of the guys on board were scared sh1tless the whole time. Got a little anxious myself on the way back in following seas. Skipper had the throttle wide open trying to stay on the back side of the swells in following seas, could hear that Cummins Turbodiesel singing......
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

not the worst but...it was chilly
a friend of mine invited me fishing at hell hole res. in N. ca., it's about 4,700 ft. in elevation. i forgot what time of year it was, but, oblivious to the weather conditions that weekend, all i brought was a windbreaker type jacket and a Tshirt, i know, crazy. any way, the temps got down into the low 30's with the wind building up, rain coming down and turning to snow at times. the wind was blowing the rain and snow sideways.
my buddies boat was and open 15' smoker craft with a bimini.
man was i cold. he let me drive to warm up a bit and covered me in an 8x10 tarp he happened to have on board, it helped. but we ended up with only one mackinaw for the day and we had the lake all to our selves grin
The Halloween blizzard of 91 here in Minnesota comes to mind. The snow was knee deep and the deer were all yarded up. You either found them in bunches or not at all. Those that did had great hunts, those that didn't ate a lot of tag soup that year.

Two fishing trips come to mind. The first one was an afternoon walleye outing on Little Bay De Noc on Lake Michigan. One of those classic, fast moving Michigan storms came through. We were out on the point coming out from Rapid River and had no choice but to beach the boat and take cover. There was a big real estate sign out on the point, and we knocked it down and hid under it to weather out the storm. Good thing we pulled the boat up on the beach. It was full of water by the time the storm passed.

The second was a walleye run with my wife on Kabetogama in Northern Minnesota. The walleyes were on the bite as we watched the storm moving in. We were about 6 miles down the lake from our resort, and got back to the dock just as the rain hit. Thank God I had a float switch on the bilge, as the boat next to me didn't and foundered at the dock. We caught 17 walleyes in 25 minutes running Lindy rigs right in front of that storm. I went back out right behind the storm and banged a couple nice pike too. Had one up to the boat that probably went 20 lbs, but lost him on a head shake, spitting my Daredevile clear over the boat.
then, there was this Elk trip in CO. a couple years ago, temps down to -20, but i was dressed for it so it didnt really bother me.
[Linked Image]
Muskox hunt in Paulatuk, NWT 1988. You could watch the Arctic Ocean (Darnley Bay) freeze from the "comfort" of our tent. We were socked in that thing for three days before the weather cleared and we could get out. Easily the coldest I have been in my life. Damn good thing I was 26, I couldn't take that anymore.

Mike
Quite a number of times but not many photos.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Don't remember the exact year, but probably about 25 years ago me and my best friend and hunting partner packed back into the Buford area in Colorado. It started snowing when we first arrived at the trailhead and the snow didn't stop for three days. This was back when we were young and dumb - we took a couple of young green broke horses, loaded them up with all of our gear and then lead them miles back into the mountains. Back then we had a small nylon two man tent, and we used a lantern for heat -we were 'roughing it' and only took neccessities. Yes I'll always remember that hunting season, that was the year I forgot my sleeping bag and all I had to sleep on was a couple of wet saddle blankets. On the second day several people came past our camp and told us we better get off the mountain as it was fixing to get really bad. We hunted for two days in a blizzard and didn't see a damn thing. It got so cold at night that even with all the clothes I could put on, I shivered and shook all night long like a dog [bleep]' peach pits. I was afraid to go to sleep thinking I would freeze to death in my sleep. In the mornings our leather boots were frozen stiff, and we had to hold them one at a time over the lantern to thaw them out enough we could put them on our feet. Don't know how cold it got that year as neither of us had a thermometer but I don't ever remember being so cold in all my life. On that third morning when we stepped out of our tent, the snow was crotch deep and still coming down so hard we couldn't see 50 yards, we decided we better pack it in and head out before it got any deeper. We took turns breaking trail leading our two horses and by the time we got off that mountain and made it to the truck, the snow was up to our horses chests. It took us several hours to dig out our truck and trailer and while we were doing that we watched as several helicopters were busy air lifting hunters that got stranded and couldn't make it out. Don't think we got any pictures that year, if I remember correctly it was so cold our camera wouldn't work. Needless to say, we got a whole lot smarter after that hunting season.

this is it, WHITE OUT

color it grey and you get the year the Siberian Steamroller came through and I spent nine days in a Kelty Windfoil with another hombre. that was miserable, pretty sad when you're on a hunt and you get excited cause you're about to run out of food so you can get the F outa there.

we left none too soon or we'd have been stranded as all the water that came down swoll up the rivers and washed a couple of bridges out on the haul road
I don't know about "Worse"

...I was younger, and it was all just weather

[Linked Image]

Two stories come to mind. We were on the white river about 4 miles from where we were to take out in alum. canoes when the tornado sirems started sounding. 4 miles in an electrical storm is a looong ways.

I also had a chance for a caribou hunt in northern quebec in late September. We never saw 40 degrees and had frozen pipes most of teh week. Worst was a day of 35-38 degrees and 25 mph wind in the rain. now place to hide from the wind. Absolutely a trip of a life time from a scenery and experieince perspective. Shot my bulls the last 2 hours of a 7 day hunt. I could have come home with no kill and would have had one of the best 7 days of my life. The weather was still rough.
No digital pics, but the worse weather by a good stretch was a buddy and I taking advantage of a snow day in high school and about ten acres of unpicked corn. It was the winter of 1996-97 and if you were in MN, SD, ND, or IA you'll know what I'm talking about. It was another -30 temp day, wind blowing in the 25-30 mph sustained range, severe wind chills obviously. Us two morons decided that there would be deer bedded in the cornfield that his cousin hadn't gotten to pick. We grabbed our bows, dressed in our warmest clothing, and had our pick of a couple dozen deer in the cornfield. They never spooked out, didn't want to leave their beds. I shot a decent 4x4 at 10 yds, he shot a big 3x3. I gutted them out and the inside of a deer has never felt so warm...we couldn't drive up to them and the pressure from dragging pushed us through the drifts and put us in past our hips. We drove back to town, he fired us the sled and drove the 15 miles to the field to drag them out to the Suburban. We've never been quite so cold or stupid, but we've never had easier shots at deer either.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I don't know about "Worse"

...I was younger, and it was all just weather

[Linked Image]

great pic Greg, used to use that phrase alot, "it's just weather, my pay grade ain't high enough to change it, so we just hunt in it"

but dang there were days it sure didn't make much sense to do so! crazy
We go out in a lot of fierce weather. Oddly enough, it's my favorite condition for hunting--ugly, that is.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/hunt/GreatBay122108033.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/hunt/IMG_1423.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/hunt/battlebargebostonfrozenshot.jpg[/img]
Pics don't do the weather justice from that day, but a gust almost flipped me *end over end* in a 16' jonboat when my nose lifted up on a whitecap.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

On the day I killed that bull, winds at Mt. Washington, less than 20 miles away, registered 114 mph, with sustained winds of 100. It was INSANE out there. The woods were exploding around us. It was the 2nd to last day of the hunt, and I'd been at it for 90 hours. There was no way I was sitting that day out. It was FIERCE out there. On that day Mrs. KG really proved herself to be a wee juggernaut. Never once did she complain. My sub-permittee quit the day before, having run out of steam and mettle. Those who dare...

Good times.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
A couple vids. Click image.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nor'Easter in a North Shore marsh, -15 F, Little Bay NH, -10 Merrimack River
goat hunting in alaska. fog so thick we didn't move on the mtn for 3 days.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...nd%20Goshawk/January2011NorEaster021.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...nd%20Goshawk/January2011NorEaster009.jpg[/img]
I have a few pics somewhere of us coming back from tuna fishing in some sporty seas (read as like 12'-15') in a 25' Grady, after losing one of the two screws. Got kicked in the teeth on that ride.

Also, Chatham is notorious for its fog. Has been for centuries. The term used when it's bad is 'pea soup'. Problem is, it can be glassy, sunny and not a cloud in the sky and goes to ZERO visibility in the time it takes to make a few casts. We've been out in conditions where we'd no choice but to shut down and blare the horn every 30 seconds. Not enough rode to get on the hook in places in 3-400'. We run radar so you've got that, but the last time it happened the Furuno had a problem and we were running blind, near shipping lanes. Now THAT shyt is creepy...
Hunting:

I grew up in WI, hunting cold or snowy weather was just the way it was. Two memorable events - the first, a season when I was a young man and learned the hard way, one of woes of carrying a pump-action rifle. When the slides are welded in place with a crust of ice - you can't chamber a round when you need to, and will stand helpless as your buck walks bye. The second, when your jon boat gets on top of the ice flow while drifting down river to an area you were about to hunt - you won't be hunting there. In fact if you probably won't be hunting at all because your options are few, and none of 'em are good. I opted to wait for a shallower stretch of river ('bout waist deep) before bailing out to free the boat.
I'd already floated bye the intended landing, and it was a couple cold, shivering, miserable hours to the takeout point.

Fishing:

Hands down, Lake Michigan when it's angry. (now that I'm in TX, I don't challenge the BIG, salt-puddle when it's nasty out).
No pics, but the worst weather fishing was during a the Rogers City Salmon Tournament in about 2001 or so. I and a few other guys were on my bosses' 24' Starcraft Islander, fishing out of Hammond Bay on Lake Huron. The usual pre-dawn start of fishing time was delayed by a fantastic Great Lakes thunderstorm. Big boomers and spectacular lightning flashes-serious storm.

It finally abated shortly after sunrise and the party began. We fished the rough water conditions for a couple hours or so and then the wind, waves and rain hit us. Over the radio we could hear the announcement that the tournament had been suspended and all boats were advised to seek shelter. Before we could head in to the harbor we were hammered with driving rain and even higher winds that whipped the waves up to 10-12' breakers. My boss was driving and I was standing up on the foot rungs of the passenger seat and trying to keep the flexible vinyl windshield extensions snapped into place, but I was fighting a mostly losing battle against the horizontally driven rain.

We were only able to make about 6 knots and because of where safe harbor was located we had to drive more-or-less into the teeth of the storm. There were times when I looked out over the bow of the boat as we crested a wave and it seemed as if I was looking nearly straight down 20 feet or more into the trough between the wave we were on and the next wave. I was lucky, at least I could see what was going on, the guys behind me couldn't see anything and could only hold on and try to stay dry.

I don't ever recall being really scared. I love the energy of a storm and my boss didn't show any nervousness, so I was actually sort of enjoying things. It wasn't until my boss asked me to stop the whooping and hollering because it was scaring the other guys that I began to realize that things were more than a little serious.

We made it through obviously and my boss has since upgraded to a much larger boat. wink
Bitter cold can get ya', but it takes a bit. An angry sea, well, "bye".

I've healthy respect for what nature can do.
The worst I remember hunting was during an antlerless season when High Brass was 14 or 15. The wind came up and was gusting so hard large branches were breaking off and flying around. I got him off that mountain as fast as I could praying for his protection the whole time.
Originally Posted by Mako25

Hands down, Lake Michigan when it's angry.

Originally Posted by bruinruin
fishing out of Hammond Bay on Lake Huron. The usual pre-dawn start of fishing time was delayed by a fantastic Great Lakes thunderstorm. Big boomers and spectacular lightning flashes-serious storm.

I've boated and fished all five of the Great Lakes, and they each have their own personality. Superior is like the ocean, Lake Michigan a washing machine. Erie has mood swings like a woman.
Lake Huron has more wreckage on its bottom than the other four combined, and I contributed in my youth with an old 25' wooden launch while fishing its North Channel. I spent a cold night on a rock big enough to keep most off me out of the churning, and was luckily found in a state of mild hypothermia the next morning.
I still fish there annually.

A pic of Erie, during Sandy.

[Linked Image]
I duck hunted in a 50+ knot blow and came home to a mess. The top half of a neighbor's tree from their back yard launched half way over my house flattening two Mustangs and damaging a Four Runner in the front yard. The car port with my motorcycle and a kayak were squashed also. Total of about $50k, my insurance had to pay since the tree was in good health. Only one duck was flying that day.
Interesting. Here, when foul weather comes with honking winds, we know birds are going to fly strong, and not be shy about coming in.

Glad you got paid for your losses. That'd have been a tough hit to take.
© 24hourcampfire