Home
It's time to forget politics, the debt, AR prices, and get serious.

I prefer Evan Williams. It has more "character". crazy
Black Jack, the name sings.
of the 2 ,,,,,, evan williams...preferably single barrel
Evan and Jack are for when you run out of Glenlivet.
Evan and Jack are for mixing with stuff to make Lynchburg Lemonade....which I'm not opposed to... whistle
Maker's Mark
I'll take the Evan's, flavor to the dollar. But I'm really queer for clear, I'll take Gin.
Oh gee...that's a tough call call.

I love both, I have an unopened bottle of Evan Williams 1994 single barrel in my liquor cabinet that I bought for my dad for Christmas in 2004 and he died on Dec 16th before I could give it to him (along with a Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag.) I'm going to open it and make a toast when I reach the age he was when he passed which will be in 2026.

That said, I got a Jack Daniels gift pack for Christmas and I am abut to open it and have a snort. I lover Jack straight up because it is just soooo smooth.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Evan and Jack are for mixing with stuff to make Lynchburg Lemonade....which I'm not opposed to... whistle

ain't had single barrel I take it....
Evan Williams is a lower shelf Bourbon about four years old. Jack Daniels is about the same age, but is adulterated and cannot be called Bourbon. Spend a bit more for eight year old Buffalo Trace and see what real Bourbon tastes like.
Originally Posted by eh76

Evan Williams single barrel and Gentleman Jack are both serious sippin' whiskeys.
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoiler

Evan Williams single barrel and Gentleman Jack are both serious sippin' whiskeys.

I have had Gentleman Jack and it is not to be despised...
Jack is over priced in my opinion. I will take the Evan Williams for the cheaper price. If I am going to spend more, there are many good/better choices than Jack....Buffalo Trace, Weller, Woodford, Makers, etc
Originally Posted by doubletap

I just did, so I asked the obvious. whistle
Posted By: 79S Re: Evan Williams or Jack Daniels? - 12/26/12
Neither... Crown for this guy....
It can't be called bourbon because it does not come from a particular county in Kentucky.

When I started in on Jack Daniels,they made a Green label,86 proof, and Black label, 90 proof.They rationed the Black label by requiring stores to purchase 3 cases of Green for each case of Black label.

When I quit it in 1985, you could buy 2 bottles of Evan Williams for what 1 bottle of Black Jack cost.

Now y'all are comparing them side by side.I wonder what's changed?

But I ain't takin' a drink to find out! grin
Black Jack is now 80 proof, I understand, and Evan is 86 with some "taste".
80 PROOF ????

You can't be serious. That's canadian crap standard.

The bottle label always said ;"90 proof by choice".
Originally Posted by 79S

I rank Canadian whiskey right down there with Canadian beer, I think I could drink good bourbon or sour mash and piss a better whiskey.
Originally Posted by curdog4570
80 PROOF ????

You can't be serious. That's canadian crap standard.

The bottle label always said ;"90 proof by choice".

Just went to their website...it doesnt say that anymore.... frown
Yep...now 80 proof, just like wimpy Canadian swill.

http://www.jackdaniels.com/whiskey/jack-daniels-old-no-7
Evan is better IMO. Cheaper to boot.
I like them both, prefer gentleman Jack over regular jack. But if'n I had the choice, give me some serious Irish whiskey.
Cheers!
Thanks guys you just reminded me about an unopened bottle of Evan in the freezer.. I believe its time to take care of that..
Never been a big fan of Jack Daniels so I'd go with Evan Williams if those two were my only choice.

I much prefer Wild Turkey 101 myself.
Originally Posted by 79S

I rank Canadian whiskey right down there with Canadian beer, I think I could drink good bourbon or sour mash and piss a better whiskey.

laugh Can't argue with that statement!
I keep a bottle of Crown around for friends that don't know how to drink good bourbon. Guess if you mix it with Coke or Sprite who really cares. Good bourbon only needs ice.
JACK !!!
I got to sample 2 different Pints of shine on Christmas eve. One was apple flavored from Tennessee, and the other was clear from Mississippi. I am sticking to Jameson.
I have Williams over ice in my hand now.

had to sit it down to type this
Posted By: EdM Re: Evan Williams or Jack Daniels? - 12/26/12
Can't help but do know that Brokers gin is the deal for a proper martini. laugh

[Linked Image]
Just hearing the name Jack or Evan makes me damn near gag. For the longest time I couldnt drink Coca cola with out tasting Jack. John Jameson, please.
Jack mixed, Evan straight, and Pendleton all the time

Woodford, Buffalo Trace, MM. For something that won't break the bank and smooth to boot, W.L.Weller Special Reserve!

SD
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Maker's Mark

Yep. The one and only.
It can't be called bourbon because it does not come from a particular county in Kentucky.

When I started in on Jack Daniels,they made a Green label,86 proof, and Black label, 90 proof.They rationed the Black label by requiring stores to purchase 3 cases of Green for each case of Black label.

When I quit it in 1985, you could buy 2 bottles of Evan Williams for what 1 bottle of Black Jack cost.

Wrong. Bourbon does not have to come from a particular county, or even Kentucky for that matter.
Originally Posted by 79S

It's not an either or thing. In fact the vast majority of bourbon is made via the sour mash process.
Originally Posted by 79S

laugh Can't argue with that statement!
I keep a bottle of Crown around for friends that don't know how to drink good bourbon. Guess if you mix it with Coke or Sprite who really cares. Good bourbon only needs ice a glass to pour it in..

Adjusted for accuracy.
Originally Posted by plainview
Maker's Mark

Yep. The one and only.

How many have you tried? Maker's isn't all that.
Henry McKenna.......aged 10 year single barrel
Originally Posted by luv2safari

First a person should define terms. Black Jack is so much higher than Williams that it really isn't in the same class money-wise. I won't say Jack Black or Green is bad, but it is overpriced compared to whiskey's in the same class. Evan Williams is better compared to Jim Beam. Beam and Williams were the same price for a half-gallon at Sam's. Now Beam is about $3 higher, so for the same taste, Williams gets the nod over Beam or Jack.
Have you ever tried George Dickel Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey No.8?It's like George Jones sings"Smooooooth Tennessee Whiskey" Good stuff!Sippin on some right now.
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Have you ever tried George Dickel Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey No.8?It's like George Jones sings"Smooooooth Tennessee Whiskey" Good stuff!Sippin on some right now.

My new favorite right now and has been on sale. And as you say is sippin whiskey so no ice here.
I will take Jack between those two, rather have Wild Turkey 101.
On a side note, was in the liquor store the other day and someone was recommending Knob Creek. I think it's made by Beam. How is this stuff?
Originally Posted by EdM
Can't help but do know that Brokers gin is the deal for a proper martini. laugh

[Linked Image]

Gag! The only thing gin is good for is cleaning paint brushes!

When I was overseas with the AF, a quart of Jack was $1.80. Jack and I became best buddies. Back in the states I found Evan was just as tasty, a bit cheaper and gave the same results.

Gave up drinking when my daughter was born.
I just bought a bottle of Larceny and man is it good....

Ditto.. It has a very similar, but much smoother, taste to Jack Daniels.. I've been buying EW for years now..

And, it's about half the price of JD..
Henry McKenna.......aged 10 year single barrel

Brother I went to college and later got a full time job so I don't have to drink either of those anymore.

But, should Obama continue to crush the economy and liquor pricer soar, I suppose I could subsist on Evan. Never was much of a fan of Jack.

Glad to see a couple of you know about Weller. I love the 107 proof as it has great flavor and you do not have to drink a lot of it. Little ice or straight if you please.
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
On a side note, was in the liquor store the other day and someone was recommending Knob Creek. I think it's made by Beam. How is this stuff?

Good stuff with a "big" flavor profile.
I prefer Evan Williams of the two. Especially when I'm using it in Egg Nog....
For sipping, I'll go with Buffalo Trace, when I can afford it.

Oh, and my daughter gave me some "Bourbon Rocks" for Christmas...guess you put them in the freezer and then into your bourbon so you don't use ice and water it down.....never heard of them, but with her being a bartender and all...

Canadian Mist...1/2 gallon plastic jug...I only use it

for medicinal purposes...hot green pomegrante tea & honey....

Originally Posted by frogman43

Oh, and my daughter gave me some "Bourbon Rocks" for Christmas...guess you put them in the freezer and then into your bourbon so you don't use ice and water it down.....never heard of them, but with her being a bartender and all...

The chilling effect is a sin. Cold is an anesthetic to the taste buds, and it also inhibits the evaporation of volatile compounds important to the nose.

If the straight spirit is a bit hot for your palate, the addition of a small amount of still spring water, not chilled of course, is fine for rounding off edges.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Canadian Mist...1/2 gallon plastic jug...I only use it

for medicinal purposes...hot green pomegrante tea & honey....

I'd only use it for insecticide purposes. grin
Jack Daniels
Posted By: EWY Re: Evan Williams or Jack Daniels? - 12/26/12
Of the two I would pick EW. Prefer Dickel #8.

Ernie
Glad to see the Campfire folks have good taste in bourbon. I prefer Jamison but have found that Evan works just fine. Unbelievably, I've read this entire thread and found not one mention of Old Crow, I'd of thought Better.
I rotate between Beam, Beam Black, Makers, Gentleman Jack, and usually take Evan fishing or hunting. Preferably in a half gallon!
I received some of the rocks for Christmas and am sitting here sipping as I am reading, tasty.

http://www.amazon.com/Sipping-Stone...=31DSL55324RAM&coliid=I31WPM083XGZ3W
JD over anything.

Jim Beam Black is good. Wild Turk.

Simple commaner....grin
Originally Posted by SamOlson
JD over anything.

shocked who woulda guessed grin I'll save you a bottle of WW
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by frogman43

The chilling effect is a sin. Cold is an anesthetic to the taste buds, and it also inhibits the evaporation of volatile compounds important to the nose.

If the straight spirit is a bit hot for your palate, the addition of a small amount of still spring water, not chilled of course, is fine for rounding off edges.

heretic laugh
I wanna try some of that WW!
Originally Posted by 24mileboy
I rotate between Beam, Beam Black, Makers, Gentleman Jack, and usually take Evan fishing or hunting. Preferably in a half gallon!
I received some of the rocks for Christmas and am sitting here sipping as I am reading, tasty.

http://www.amazon.com/Sipping-Stone...=31DSL55324RAM&coliid=I31WPM083XGZ3W

Like before:

When we bottle our barrel I will put some aside for ya Sam.
For mixin', there likely ain't much difference other than $$ and preconceived notions of what might be 'good'. Crown is sugar whiskey, thought good by those who've had no better, like a first piece of azz.

For sippin', pass an Irish or Scotch if you must, and stow the drain cleaning supplies...
mixin.... vas is dis you speak of? shocked
Evan for me

When we bottle our barrel I will put some aside for ya Sam.

Sounds good, thank you!
Of the two choices Evan passes the coke/pepsi test. I do prefer Maker's Mark or other imported things of irish and scottish variety.

True dat!
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn

True dat!

If you're into lightweight scotch. grin
You can take some of that cheaper bourbon- not blended whiskey- add a little water and 2 or 3 drops of Angostura Bitters and it will smooth it right out.

True dat!

if you ever just agree with someone..........

True dat!

if you ever just agree with someone..........

When they get it right ... grin
Posted By: byc Re: Evan Williams or Jack Daniels? - 12/27/12
mm can you believe what has become of Pappy this year? I was lucky to receive 3 bottles and already had folks offer me upwards of $500 for the 23. Amazing!

Also, I got some of those fake ice cubie things for Christmas Not too sure what to do with them.
Pendleton's, I must have grew up too close to Canada because I never got into the bourbon or Jack.
and for an Irish twist I do like Tullamore Dew
[Linked Image]

Pretty good stuff
Jameson, on the rocks.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
[Linked Image]

Pretty good stuff

Yes, it really is.
Midleton, 18, 12, or regular ol' Jameson, even Green Spot if'n you can find it.

In that order.
If we are talking Irish, I love Redbreast!Pot stilled at it's best!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Redbreast-Irish-Whiskey/215850891778559

Treat yourself to the 15 year old version, it's truly special.
I've been trying out some different bourbons recently...Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Blanton's, Basil Hayden's...and the absolute best tasting (to me) so far has been the Single Barrel Reserve version of Knob Creek. It's a little more expensive than regular Knob Creek...but darn well worth it.
I find Evan Williams single barrel with a splash of water good at rounding the edges off my day.....
Originally Posted by antlers
I've been trying out some different bourbons recently...Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Blanton's, Basil Hayden's...and the absolute best tasting (to me) so far has been the Single Barrel Reserve version of Knob Creek. It's a little more expensive than regular Knob Creek...but darn well worth it.

I picked up some this weekend, pretty good stuff. I preferred it cut to about 100 proof.

+1
Posted By: byc Re: Evan Williams or Jack Daniels? - 01/02/13
We had a little Pappy 20 today in celebration of the Gamecocks win. Sure glad they won 'cos the Pappy topped it off just perfect. Saving the next glass for when the Skins beat SEA.
In response to the OP we must clarify which Evan Williams. If you want to drink it with soda pop than plain EW is good as any; even then Beam beats EW as well as JD as far as I'm concerned. For a nice affordable bottle of Bourbon EW Single Barrel is very, very good. Good to begin with and as good as I've had for a $20ish bottle of Bourbon.

I quit in 2006
Originally Posted by shootem
In response to the OP we must clarify which Evan Williams. If you want to drink it with soda pop than plain EW is good as any; even then Beam beats EW as well as JD as far as I'm concerned. For a nice affordable bottle of Bourbon EW Single Barrel is very, very good. Good to begin with and as good as I've had for a $20ish bottle of Bourbon.

Yes it is, and you can collect the different vintages for flavor variations.
© 24hourcampfire