Home
Posted By: roundoak Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Between Christmas and New Years I was doing a neighbor's farm chores while he and his wife were on vacation and one evening at dusk, I was backing his tractor into a shed and I noticed headlights that looked to be out in one of my pastures down the valley.

The next day I investigated and found tire tracks in the snow that lead down to a pile of firewood. Someone had came in an out of the pasture at least twice. Clearly, a bunch of firewood was missing from the pile and there was an old, red handkerchief tacked to a stick of wood with a note inside.

"I will pay you back when I can." WTF.

Talked the situation over with my wife and we decided not to contact LE and just let some of the neighbors know what happened and ask that they be on the look out.

A young guy showed up at the place this morning wanting to work off what I thought was fair for the two pickup loads of firewood he took. WTF.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
At least he owned up to it and offered. Must have been desperate. You are luckier than most. He should have asked first but.......
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
At least he wants to make it right - would have been better to ask FIRST, though!

Mark
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
I'm thinking that it might have been cheaper if he had asked first and that you are fully justified in working his tail off. If he makes good on his promise, tell him next time to come during the summer and you will talk with him about what he can do to earn some firewood. Might have a chance to make a difference in this young guys life and keep someone from shooting him later on.
Posted By: Glock2240 Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
I admire him for coming forward, and think he needs to be commended for doing so. He should do some of the chores that need to be done for the pay back and told to come an ask the next time he finds himself in such a predicament, because stealing will not be tolerated again.

Tim
Posted By: blanket Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
I would keep the law out of it, and yes he would work it off in spades. Did he offer up why he did it?
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Can u post a map to that firewood pile?

I need some. wink
Posted By: Dess Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
A fair price would be to cut and split three truck loads of firewood.
Posted By: Chrome Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
When your hungry enough or cold enough I guess you'll do what you have to do to survive. At least he was man enough to come back....

Still not a very wise thing to do.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
He gave an explanation to what motivated him to steal the firewood. If it is true, I could see why he was desperate. His young wife died in a car accident just three weeks after he got out of the army, leaving him with two kids under the age of five. Couldn't find a job, medical bills took all their savings, forced air furnace broke down and could not afford a replacement, but someone gave him an old wood stove. He needed firewood immediately, but no money to buy any.

This guy was in a streak of bad luck. My wife wanted to adopt the whole bunch.

For me what saved his arse was he addressed me as "Sir" and my wife "Maam." Was X military and had a Bush/Cheney bumper sticker on his old pickup.

I am not going take his dignity... I am putting him to work tomorrow and let him decide what his time is worth to work off two pickup loads of firewood.
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
If his story is true, and he shows up tomorrow, id say you;ve got a man of quite solid character on your hands.
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Can u post a map to that firewood pile?

I need some. wink

No map, there Moses, but you could try Google Earth. Hint - Wisconsin
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Good man Roundoak!

Maybe take him and his kids under your wing and soon enough you will find out if the story is true or not....If true you just might have found a friend that will have your back anytime.

Thats worth a couple of truck loads of wood anyday.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Originally Posted by roundoak

I am not going take his dignity... I am putting him to work tomorrow and let him decide what his time is worth to work off two pickup loads of firewood.

I would put him to work too. Dumb move to steal it in the first place but it shows his true character to show up and own it

Hopefully there are brighter days ahead for him and his kids
Also, what is the dollar value of the wood he took? Any way to confirm his story?
Posted By: TXRam Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Yeah, tough to fault a guy in that kinda position trying to take care of his family... Tough position to be in, and can't imagine anyone thinking that the owner of firewood would have given him the firewood up front (nothing against you sir) - so I'm sure he did what he thought was his only option.

If true, I'd probably be ready to adopt 'em myself. He could very easily have not left the note or showed his face to own up to it. I'd take him up on helping out to work it off, but I wouldn't take more than a fair amount of labor.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
might be a new hunting buddy. sure seems like a good dude, even if he made a bad choice.
Posted By: widrahthaar Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
I just hope he didn't move it more than 50 miles.

Posted By: SamOlson Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Spy.
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Also, what is the dollar value of the wood he took? Any way to confirm his story?

Value? Depends on how much of a load he put on his F-150 with standard 8' box. I always figure a 8' box stacked up right at the top of the box sides is 5/8 of a cord. Oak, hickory or elm would be worth about 75-$80 if picked up. Delivery is more.

My wife is networking to check his story out.
Posted By: BangPop Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
[quote=12344mag]Good man Roundoak!

Maybe take him and his kids under your wing and soon enough you will find out if the story is true or not....If true you just might have found a friend that will have your back anytime.

Thats worth a couple of truck loads of wood anyday. [/quote Absolutely, my thoughts exactly.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
I live on an Indian Reserve---there ain't no such a thing as stealing firewood this time of year.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13

Value? Depends on how much of a load he put on his F-150 with standard 8' box. I always figure a 8' box stacked up right at the top of the box sides is 5/8 of a cord. Oak, hickory or elm would be worth about 75-$80 if picked up. Delivery is more.

Please keep us updated if his story is true.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Good man, Round Oak.
yes, if his story is true i am sure we'd come up with some cash and clothes and such to help. anyone who served, i already owe anyway.

If it checks out please let me know. Let him "work it off" but I'll send you a check for you to give him to cover both loads
yup. and i will buy a gift card for walmart or wherever's close to cover food and clothes for the kids.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Originally Posted by mark shubert
At least he wants to make it right - would have been better to ask FIRST, though!

Mark

He was afraid you would say no and he must have needed it bad . At least he was honest and made it right
i had it happen with a gas can i left on my porch. guy came over and apologized and said he needed it to finish his yard. probably a gallon of gas or so. i started to get mad and then i saw my yard was cut. he said he thought the least he could do was cut my yard. i told him he could steal all the damn gas he wanted from me if he was cutting my yard too lol
Posted By: skullmonkey Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Whew.... I've been mulling this one over for a bit. Tough call. I figure you're 50/50 on either getting ripped a new one or making a difference in a young man's life. I believe you've handled yourself & the situation very well to this point while still covering your bases. I honestly hope that I would handle it as well. Good on you sir & I hope all works out well for both of you.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
He gave an explanation to what motivated him to steal the firewood. If it is true, I could see why he was desperate. His young wife died in a car accident just three weeks after he got out of the army, leaving him with two kids under the age of five. Couldn't find a job, medical bills took all their savings, forced air furnace broke down and could not afford a replacement, but someone gave him an old wood stove. He needed firewood immediately, but no money to buy any.

For me what saved his arse was he addressed me as "Sir" and my wife "Maam." Was X military and had a Bush/Cheney bumper sticker on his old pickup.

Sounds like a fellow that would do well in a rural community...given a few breaks and a bit of unobtrussive networking.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
This story sounds like a load of crap, not firewood.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
roundoak - please follow-up on this if you will - advise how the whole thing comes out.
Posted By: Toddly Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Play it slow and find out for sure. I'm not buying this.
Posted By: Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
My take.

#1. He shouldn't have taken the wood without asking.
#2. He did, for what ever reasons, take it without asking but left a note stating his intent to pay. Why he was taking it at night remains to be seen. Perhaps it was the only time he wasn't looking for work.
#3. He returned, as per his promise, to work off the debt.
#4. while this method certainly isn't the preferred method of obtaining cut and stacked firewood, he's a 1 in a million who would actually do this.

Here's what I would do (and I don't allow anyone to traipse around on our place). If his story checks out, which it likely will, I'd tell him that he needed to cut, split and stack 4 times the amount he took. When He finished I'd tell him to load 1/4 of what he just stacked in his truck and that when he needed wood all he needed to do was show up and cut, split and stack 3 times as much as he needed and take the 1/3. That way he has an honorable way to get wood and you get work done.

This fella will get back on his feet some day and He's gong to make a good acquaintance and possibly a good friend. He does need to know though, that what he can obtain for the asking, he will be prosecuted for as well if he doesn't. I have a feeling, if your description is accurate, that he knows better. Perhaps he had reasons that seemed good to him at the time. Desperation does strange things to men.

Alan
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Well Roundoak I think you handled it just right, don't believe he would of come back just to bullshit you and not show up for the work he promised. Yup would have been better if he asked first for a work for wood trade etc. Desperate times and they will get worse. Best a luck on the morrow. Magnum man
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
I think you handled it well Roundoak.

Possibly the kids were asleep or he had managed to get child care for a while.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
I believe you handled it just like I would have guessed you would. Let him work what he think he owes you. You might even babysit his kids while he works.

Then let us know what he needs. I am anything but wealthy but my kids are raised and I have yet to miss a meal. I would gladly give what I can to a Vet in need and an honest man.
Posted By: remfak Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Sounds legit to me. Why would a chitbag leave a note AND come back to work as promised? Sounds like an honorable man in a big pinch!
Posted By: okok Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
yup. and i will buy a gift card for walmart or wherever's close to cover food and clothes for the kids.

Count me in too!
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
I would ask him what he thought was fair and if he was close, that would be it.
Posted By: hardway Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
He lost his WIFE and ended up a single dad on hard times.....I would be glad all he did was swipe a couple loads of wood, could of held up a bank or worse.... Sounds like he is a good man, knew he made a mistake and owned up to it. Sounds like something that happened on the Andy Griffith Show, kind of inspiring considering the way the world is headed.
Posted By: superdave Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Everybody fouls up once in a while. Not everybody owns up to it.

With all the dirtbags in the country right now, I'd nurture this guy as much as practical. If it's a bust and he was full of crap, you're out two loads of wood. If it's true and you helped a good man become a better man and get back on his feet, hopefully to raise a couple more just like him, the country's a better place.

Much better than two loads of wood would make it.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Roundoak--If, after you've vetted him and he still needs help, PM me and I'll make a gift card or whatever contribution.

I'd "borrow" wood in the dead of winter to keep my kids warm and I'd do as he did....with my tail between my legs, embarassed and humble----pay it back.

If I were you I do believe I'd be inclined (if wood was as abundant as it is here) to have him cut and split enough to get him and his kids through the winter....that'd be his "working it off".

If what he says is true you should not be in a 'dilema' as to what you should do.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
you'd be a guy I could be proud to have as a neighbor Aces.

good thoughts there sir
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Originally Posted by Fireball2
This story sounds like a load of crap, not firewood.

Damned Oregonians! No wonder we split off from the Oregon Territory.

grin grin
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Well it's cold , I live with out heat myself but I don't. Have any children to look after. My neighbor was out of work, I gave him some venison and told him the blue marked trees are fair game if you need it! Times are tough we are all being tested- you did it right!
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
If his story pans out please let me know and a gift card will be enroute to your AO for the young man and his children as well as a check to cover 2 more loads of wood to get him through the winter.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Really hoping for a good outcome for both parties here. PM sent.
Posted By: oulufinn Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Wow! What a tough situation. Looks like you can get resolution, willingly, from a guy who knows he did a bad thing, has genuine remorse & is humbly facing whatever you decide is the right way to repay his crime against you. Letting him work it off, as long as his story checks out, sure seems like the right thing to do.

We had a couple thousand bucks worth of wood stolen up at the shack in WI just before New Years last year. Witness, tire tracks in fresh snow, more snow that didn't come as forecast & the pile of wood in the yard of a known dope head got him caught & us reimbursed after about 5-6 months. If it had been a situation like yours, we'd have likely handled things a lot differently.

Just be very, very careful, as desperate people do desperate things. Don't let your guard down.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Between Christmas and New Years I was doing a neighbor's farm chores while he and his wife were on vacation and one evening at dusk, I was backing his tractor into a shed and I noticed headlights that looked to be out in one of my pastures down the valley.

The next day I investigated and found tire tracks in the snow that lead down to a pile of firewood. Someone had came in an out of the pasture at least twice. Clearly, a bunch of firewood was missing from the pile and there was an old, red handkerchief tacked to a stick of wood with a note inside.

Talked the situation over with my wife and we decided not to contact LE and just let some of the neighbors know what happened and ask that they be on the look out.

A young guy showed up at the place this morning wanting to work off what I thought was fair for the two pickup loads of firewood he took. WTF.

I had a kinda similar situation a few years back Roundoak, was up late one evening reading when I noticed a light flicker in one of the shop buildings out back.

Grabbed my 45 and 12 gauge and cut a counterclockwise 180 around the yard to check it out, was crouched at the ready when the front storm door of the shop began to move, a young man appeared with some plastix wal-mart bags filled with frozen meat.

I lit him up with my sure-fire and hollered, he dropped the bags and froze, I saw a light reflection, [tears] in his eyes, he said Sir, I have hungry children, please dont kill me.

I said, if yer [bleep] with me, I'll kill you here, he said please, my family is down by the road in my pickup, I said, how'd you know about this freezer, he says, I was up here helping a neighbor cut hay on your place a few years back and saw the freezer through the window as I drove by on the tractor, I knew it was here.

I said, take these bags and wait out by the light, I went and woke Wifey and she loaded him up several more sacks of dry goods and such from the kitchen pantry and cabinets.

I've seen that young man a couple times about town since then, he always removes his hat and smiles and waves.

Sometimes folks will do wrong to feed/keep warm hungry kids and I can understand that.

Gunner
Posted By: Redneck Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13

Quite a story.. Desperate for heat, but honest to come back asap and ask to pay up somehow/some way..

Good to hear this.. smile
Posted By: rrroae Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
If he does the work without complaint, I'm in for $50 if you have anything else for him to do.

Please keep us up to date. This sounds like a fella worth helping.
Posted By: ldoret Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Keep us posetd, I'll contribute if his story checks out
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
It's said that cutting firewood warms you twice!
Maybe even more times than that!
Posted By: headhunter130 Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
I will send some funds, pm me.
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
pm me also if he checks out.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Sometimes folks will do wrong to feed/keep warm hungry kids and I can understand that.

I'd agree.

Compliments to RoundOak for his good handling of a challenging situation.

GTC
Posted By: Seafire Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
This thread shows the essence of some really great folks hang around this "campfire" site....

I have to chuckle where a couple of numbnuts like to call it the "Freak Show"...

there are a lot of good people on here...

a lot of us should be thankful, that maybe we have not had to be in that bad of straights, that we had to compromise our morals to protect our children..

if his story checked out, I admit I wouldn't have been too hard on the guy, and if he was a veteran with a family to support in hard times... well Round Oak, if you need financial compensation for the wood, let us know..

I'll gladly do without if a fellow vet needs it, to take care of his kids, and that multiplies if he just lost his wife...

I guess I have the 'bad habits' of my granddad...

way back in the 50s, he had a guy walk into his store and gas station to buy a soda and some crackers...

he had been dropped off, and was hitchhiking back home to St Louis... he was black and a WW 2 vet...

the US route in front of my grand dad's store was not well traveled and mainly by local traffic...

that poor guy was there for 3 days trying to thumb a ride...

each evening, my grand dad had him come in to the house there and fed him dinner and gave him a bed to sleep in a place to take a shower...

guy had no money and wanted to work off my Grand Dad's generosity...

he fed the guy and gave him a place to sleep for 3 days, as he was trying to get a ride...

a hitch hiking black guy didn't have much luck in Southern WVa in the 1950s..

on the fourth morning after breakfast, my grand dad went into the store's cash register, threw the guy's bag in the back of his truck...

when he got back my grandmother asked him where he had gone....

he took the black Vet to the bus station in Bluefield, and gave him $50 for expenses to get back home...

couple of years later, a check showed up in the mail, covering my grand dad's expenses, plus for the room and board he had extended.. it took him a week or so to even figure out who the money was from...

That left an impact on me, that I have always carried with me...

a little given away to someone in their time of need, may not be a big loss to you, but it can mean all the difference in the world to the one receiving it..

and for a fellow veteran, I'll gladly give up a little extra to help another one who has served, who might be in need... sort of that co dependent reason I ended up in the Medical Corp I think..

you're a good man Round Oak...

and so are the rest of you boys who are offering to dig a little to help a guy in need out...

damn proud to hang out with the rest of you guys in this forum... "Freak Show or NOT"...
Posted By: tzone Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13

Did you give him a saw and say cut some more?

Truthfully, the only issue I have is the tresspassing. If someone stole something from me, I pray that they truly needed more than I did.

It sounds like this is the case here.

Hell, if that's the case...the man defended our country and had run of bad luck. I'd have the rest of that firewood to his place by night fall and have me an my kids in the bushes cutting him some more. That's probably the least I could do.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Originally Posted by tzone

Hell, if that's the case...the man defended our country and had run of bad luck. I'd have the rest of that firewood to his place by night fall and have me an my kids in the bushes cutting him some more. That's probably the least I could do.
And that'd be mighty cool of ya..

Kudos.
Well, we all have a bad run from time to time.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13

roundoak:

I hope you pointed out to that unhappy young man that if he ever does something like that again, he might not be so lucky with his choice of landowner.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Originally Posted by Seafire

damn proud to hang out with the rest of you guys in this forum... "Freak Show or NOT"...

This is the best "Freak Show" anywhere. I am proud to be a small part of this group of "Freaks".
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Like many on here, keep us posted and If his story check's out, PM me , cause I will help out too $$
Posted By: Hotload Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13

We all make mistakes in judgement, and he sounds like a good man.
Posted By: Sand_Man Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Originally Posted by Simoneaud
Like many on here, keep us posted and If his story check's out, PM me , cause I will help out too $$

Ditto!

As a new father, I couldn't fathom my wife passing and me not being able to provide for my kid. I know pride and embarressment makes us as humans take actions we normally wouldn't take. I don't condone the guy stealing from you, but I can't say as though I don't understand it either if his situation turns out to be true. I'd also have to say I respect the guy showing up to make it right even though he didn't go about it the right way.

I've never been in the military, but I have a great deal of respect for the people who defend my freedoms. Again, if his story checks out I'd love to put some food on the table for those kids.
Posted By: tdd4570 Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
roundoak

please PM all of us an address. His or yours.
Posted By: rattler Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Originally Posted by remfak
Sounds legit to me. Why would a chitbag leave a note AND come back to work as promised? Sounds like an honorable man in a big pinch!

kinda what im thinking....[bleep] just steal and dont leave a note.....if they left a note AND showed back up like they said they would than they needed it more than me for sure and ild just tell him ask next time ive got no qualms bout helping someone down on their luck especially a vet and single father....
Posted By: cowdoc Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
My father told me of an incident back during the depression in the early 30's.

My grandfather had eight kids to feed, shelter and clothe. He rented a small farm, was a carpenter, gravedigger, sold and delivered firewood, anything to make a dollar. A big garden, milk cow, chickens, a pig or two. Sugar? That was a special treat, grandpa made cane molasses for sweetener. Lots of hard work, the kids had to pitch in, too.

Grandpa had put up ear corn in a crib to feed the critters that winter. Thought it was disappearing somehow, he caught a neighbor filling a gunny sack at 2:00 am. Grandpa didn't say a word, just stood there and watched him fill his sack, tears streaming down the neighbor's face. Not a word was exchanged. The neighbor walked off into the night, crying, with his sack.

Grandpa could of knuckled his head, but he knew that it wasn't animal feed being stolen. The neighbor had a houseful of kids to feed, too. He was taking it to feed his family.
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Originally Posted by Sand_Man
Originally Posted by Simoneaud

Ditto!

As a new father, I couldn't fathom my wife passing and me not being able to provide for my kid. I know pride and embarressment makes us as humans take actions we normally wouldn't take. I don't condone the guy stealing from you, but I can't say as though I don't understand it either if his situation turns out to be true. I'd also have to say I respect the guy showing up to make it right even though he didn't go about it the right way.

I've never been in the military, but I have a great deal of respect for the people who defend my freedoms. Again, if his story checks out I'd love to put some food on the table for those kids.

YEP, thats the part that got me, losing your wife and having young children as a single parent in these times!!! wow.

I always thought I could never make it without my wife, then she left me and the kids stayed with me, then I was a single parent - GOD got me thru it!! and only GOD!
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13

I guess I have the 'bad habits' of my granddad...

way back in the 50s, he had a guy walk into his store and gas station to buy a soda and some crackers...

he had been dropped off, and was hitchhiking back home to St Louis... he was black and a WW 2 vet...

the US route in front of my grand dad's store was not well traveled and mainly by local traffic...

that poor guy was there for 3 days trying to thumb a ride...

each evening, my grand dad had him come in to the house there and fed him dinner and gave him a bed to sleep in a place to take a shower...

guy had no money and wanted to work off my Grand Dad's generosity...

he fed the guy and gave him a place to sleep for 3 days, as he was trying to get a ride...

a hitch hiking black guy didn't have much luck in Southern WVa in the 1950s..

on the fourth morning after breakfast, my grand dad went into the store's cash register, threw the guy's bag in the back of his truck...

when he got back my grandmother asked him where he had gone....

he took the black Vet to the bus station in Bluefield, and gave him $50 for expenses to get back home...

couple of years later, a check showed up in the mail, covering my grand dad's expenses, plus for the room and board he had extended.. it took him a week or so to even figure out who the money was from...

That left an impact on me, that I have always carried with me...

Fantastic story. Thanks for sharing, John.
Posted By: Idared Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Originally Posted by tdd4570
roundoak

please PM all of us an address. His or yours.

+ 1

As a former resident of Wisconsin I would like to help a vet that far down on his luck also.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
Originally Posted by cowdoc

My grandfather had eight kids to feed, shelter and clothe. He rented a small farm, was a carpenter, gravedigger, sold and delivered firewood, anything to make a dollar. A big garden, milk cow, chickens, a pig or two. Sugar? That was a special treat, grandpa made cane molasses for sweetener. Lots of hard work, the kids had to pitch in, too.

Grandpa had put up ear corn in a crib to feed the critters that winter. Thought it was disappearing somehow, he caught a neighbor filling a gunny sack at 2:00 am. Grandpa didn't say a word, just stood there and watched him fill his sack, tears streaming down the neighbor's face. Not a word was exchanged. The neighbor walked off into the night, crying, with his sack.

Grandpa could of knuckled his head, but he knew that it wasn't animal feed being stolen. The neighbor had a houseful of kids to feed, too. He was taking it to feed his family.

Your Grandfather was a man.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
I haven't read all the responses here on the wood stealing, but the guy left a note and came back to make it right and I can respect that despite the fact we all stealing is wrong. We've had wood stolen over the years and nobody ever left anything but tire tracks leaving the scene.

Good on you for letting him pay off the debt and retain his dignity because if his story is true, he has had a rough road lately. Actually he sounds like a guy of good character.
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: Firewood theft - 02/21/13
so did the kid come back to work it off then? i thoguht he was supposed to show up this morn, hopefully he did. roundoak, lookin for an update !
Originally Posted by Scott F

This is the best "Freak Show" anywhere. I am proud to be a small part of this group of "Freaks".

As I am too!
Originally Posted by gunner500
I had a kinda similar situation a few years back Roundoak, was up late one evening reading when I noticed a light flicker in one of the shop buildings out back.

Grabbed my 45 and 12 gauge and cut a counterclockwise 180 around the yard to check it out, was crouched at the ready when the front storm door of the shop began to move, a young man appeared with some plastix wal-mart bags filled with frozen meat.

I lit him up with my sure-fire and hollered, he dropped the bags and froze, I saw a light reflection, [tears] in his eyes, he said Sir, I have hungry children, please dont kill me.

I said, if yer [bleep] with me, I'll kill you here, he said please, my family is down by the road in my pickup, I said, how'd you know about this freezer, he says, I was up here helping a neighbor cut hay on your place a few years back and saw the freezer through the window as I drove by on the tractor, I knew it was here.

I said, take these bags and wait out by the light, I went and woke Wifey and she loaded him up several more sacks of dry goods and such from the kitchen pantry and cabinets.

I've seen that young man a couple times about town since then, he always removes his hat and smiles and waves.

Gunner

You're a good man Gunner.......
Posted By: roundoak Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
I am absolutely just blown away, first by the young man in this thread and second, all the fire members that showed concern and offers to ease some of the burden from this young man.

The young man is for real. He showed up this morning at 6:45 AM and he worked with me all day. There were two cutters downing trees over at a neighbors and I started him on applying the choke cable from my log skidder. When we caught up to the cutters I had him cut the saw logs to length.

My wife and I had a chance to visit with him at lunch and he respectively declined the assistance that my wife and I offered. He advised that he has a full time job now and an elderly Aunt is helping him out with the kids.

This is a very proud man and he told me he wanted to make it right with me about the firewood and continue to move forward with his life. I have every reason to believe he will make it.

At the end of the day we shook hands and called it even. No lectures from me.

12344mag, gopherhunter, huntsonora, BangPop, mjbgalt, ScottF, okok, AcesNeights, Mallard Addict, rrroae, idoret, headhunter130, fgold767, Seafire, Simoneaud, SandMan, tdd4370, Idared. I am at a loss of words for your acts of kindness. You are welcome at my fire anytime.

One of you, I believe it was 12344mag, that PM'd me and said. "I guess this a lesson that stealing isn't always for selfish reasons..."

Wayne
Posted By: eh76 Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
Excellent! You say he won't accept assistance, but what if we wanted to help anyway?
Posted By: achildofthesky Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
If, for no other reason, this were just a story it shows what a bunch of good hearted folks are round here. I have seen many gifts to folks by folks that likely never met. Gifts of gun parts for deserving nimrods. Offers of help when someone lists a rifle or such for sale because of a time of need and then more than just several offer to loan or flat out give the needed money to the person in need. Pretty good stuff. Yep, I get the wet eye from that. I have been on both sides of the deal and while it feels better to give it is amazingly nice to have someone, especially a stranger offer a hand.

If it were me and someone snatched some wood I had cut, I would have been pissed off and if I were to have found a note as in the above story, I'd be pissed at my initial reaction. The guy took something that wasn't theirs and then came back to stand up for the offense. I don't approve of theft but I do respect someone standing up for their mistake.

Makes one think. A lot of what if's come into play.

What if you'd have caught the fellow redhanded, would you believe them if they said the story given? Would you (no pun intended) give them the wood?
What if it was a scruffy fellow and not a vet but the situation was the same?
What if it was a person of another race and the situation was the same?
What if he had an Obama sticker on the truck and the situation was other wise the same?

Makes one think.

Makes me think what an ass I would have likely made of my self and how bad I'd feel after realizing if it were my daughter that was hungry or cold, I know what I would have done if I was in that fellows position...

Be safe and keep warm
Patty
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
i'd still like to help. he can do what he likes with the giftcard but i'd like to think the kids are taken care of
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13

You are doing the right thing.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
Originally Posted by cowdoc

God bless your Granddad. A lot of 'city folk' in Corrigan Texas survived the Great Depression eating for free out of my 'poor' granddads small farm. Before the depression he was considered poor but did fine through it, while previous town upper crust ate even the rinds of the watermelons he let them take from his fields.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
Roundoak-- You and your wife are good people!

I'm sure a real Man, like you saw today, will be just fine outside of the grief of losing a spouse because character goes a long way.

Your character is evident too! wink (meant in the best way possible)
a lot of the time military families have life insurance that stays with them even if they leave the service. wonder if they had any coverage?

i'd say now is a damn good time for him to buy some if he doesn't have any. those kids on their own with no money is even worse.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
Roundoak-

My offer still stands. Should we be able to send some cash to help him out, please get me an address, or let me send it to you to forward to him. Or maybe we could do something for the kids if he'd allow it. There's a bunch of people that want to help. I hope he will let us.
yep. or you buy him something he needs and you tell him it's from us and don't give him the damn receipt so he can't refuse.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
a lot of the time military families have life insurance that stays with them even if they leave the service. wonder if they had any coverage?

i'd say now is a damn good time for him to buy some if he doesn't have any. those kids on their own with no money is even worse.

Service members are covered, not the rest of the fa
well at least that part is ok...just a horrible thing to go through and especially with kids. the guy needs a break.

hell, maybe we can somehow help fix the furnace
Posted By: okok Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
Sounds like he's going to be ok..let's hope he can find another Lady in his life when the time is right. Thanks for the update Roundoak!
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
That young Vet gave us all a gift. The chance to do a little self examination that is good for the soul and not done often enough. His situation could be or could have been one any of us faced. in handling the situation, I would like to think I would have been slow enough to anger that I could get the truth of it before I blew up at him and said things I would regret later. I feel like I owe him....
Posted By: CCCC Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
Thanks roundoak - you handled all of that like a really good man and I appreciate the update. I would still like to help that family if you see a way and, clearly, many more here would as well.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
Originally Posted by achildofthesky
If, for no other reason, this were just a story it shows what a bunch of good hearted folks are round here. I have seen many gifts to folks by folks that likely never met. Gifts of gun parts for deserving nimrods. Offers of help when someone lists a rifle or such for sale because of a time of need and then more than just several offer to loan or flat out give the needed money to the person in need. Pretty good stuff. Yep, I get the wet eye from that. I have been on both sides of the deal and while it feels better to give it is amazingly nice to have someone, especially a stranger offer a hand.

If it were me and someone snatched some wood I had cut, I would have been pissed off and if I were to have found a note as in the above story, I'd be pissed at my initial reaction. The guy took something that wasn't theirs and then came back to stand up for the offense. I don't approve of theft but I do respect someone standing up for their mistake. Makes one think. A lot of what if's come into play.

What if you'd have caught the fellow redhanded, would you believe them if they said the story given? Would you (no pun intended) give them the wood?
What if it was a scruffy fellow and not a vet but the situation was the same?
What if it was a person of another race and the situation was the same?
What if he had an Obama sticker on the truck and the situation was other wise the same? Makes one think. Makes me think what an ass I would have likely made of my self and how bad I'd feel after realizing if it were my daughter that was hungry or cold, I know what I would have done if I was in that fellows position...
Be safe and keep warm
Patty
Patty - thanks for this thoughtful, and thought-provoking, post.
Posted By: achildofthesky Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
[quote=Mathsr]That young Vet gave us all a gift. The chance to do a little self examination that is good for the soul and not done often enough. His situation could be or could have been one any of us faced. in handling the situation, I would like to think I would have been slow enough to anger that I could get the truth of it before I blew up at him and said things I would regret later. I feel like I owe him....[/quote

+1
Posted By: BangPop Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
well at least that part is ok...just a horrible thing to go through and especially with kids. the guy needs a break.

hell, maybe we can somehow help fix the furnace
That damn furnace was part of the problem in the first place. Can we contribute to the repair or all of us throw in for a new system? Say the word boys and I'm in.
that was my thought.
Posted By: rrroae Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
Roundoak, I respect you for the way you handled the situation. Not only for making him follow thru but then showing him kindness.

He had to learn what he did was wrong but also that he showed character and that's something we hold in high regard. We all make mistakes but it's how we handle those mistakes that defines a man's worth.

Maybe as suggested we could help the man with a furnace and in return if he's ever in a situation where he can help someone else, we'd appreciate it if he did so.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
Great thread!

Oh, and some of you guys are trying too hard. Just leave the guy be.
Posted By: rattler Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
dont think he needed to learn it was wrong, he knew that....he was desperate and when someone is desperate they dont always make the right choices.....but he made it right and did intend to from the start given the note and showing up......he just decided stealing was a better risk than the risk of getting told no in his way of thinking and no doubt he was under high stress and not thinking clearly since it was his kids that were cold....he would just rather deal with the punishment of stealing after his kids were in a warm house....

was his choice poor? yes, was it understandible in hind sight? going by this thread i would say yes since his kids were definitely in need.....he just didnt realize who he stole from would have likely handed him more had he asked first....
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
Still want to help...can't stand the thought of his kids needing something...any way to find an address for him and we can
send him stuff blindly?
Posted By: BangPop Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
I don't know if it is possible to try to hard in this case. This young man has sacrificed for our nations well being. He did something that I suspect he would not normally do, to make his children comfortable. I'm sure the man is a proud American that wants nothing more than to stand on his own and provide for his family. The fact is, life has knocked him on his backside and a little pump priming by some hard headed guys that won't take no for an answer can't hurt. If things were bad enough 2 months ago that he had to take firewood to heat with, things can't be all that great yet.
Posted By: northcountry Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
This has been a great story and a good look at human character.
Was waiting for an address to be provided so I could also help out but it looks like it won't be happening. Roundoak a great job in handling and in sharing. Cheers NC
Posted By: DaveDaDeerslayer Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
This!

Originally Posted by gophergunner
Roundoak-

My offer still stands. Should we be able to send some cash to help him out, please get me an address, or let me send it to you to forward to him. Or maybe we could do something for the kids if he'd allow it. There's a bunch of people that want to help. I hope he will let us.
Posted By: MallardAddict Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
I'm glad the man came out to your place and put in some sweat labor to atone for what happened.

I'm still down to send a gift be it gift card for food and clothes or cash to you to fix that furnace. Hate to see any vets suffer let alone children.

My offer to help has no expiration date.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
Times are hard. Desperate times call for different measures. I would have done the same if it meant keeping my family warm.

Not condoning what he did but he did man up to square things up. How many would have done that?

Wish he was my neighbor.

G

ETA: Just went back and read past the first couple of posts..
roundoak, you are a good man.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
Originally Posted by GeoW
Times are hard. Desperate times call for different measures. I would have done the same if it meant keeping my family warm.

Not condoning what he did but he did man up to square things up. How many would have done that?

Wish he was my neighbor.
G

ETA: Just went back and read past the first couple of posts..
roundoak, you are a good man.

+1 all 'round.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13

If I ever get the chance I'd be proud the shake your hand. It sounds like a bond could may be made that can have a positive impact on many lives for years to come. cool

A tip of the glass to you.....
Posted By: ldoret Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
"Thanks roundoak - you handled all of that like a really good man and I appreciate the update. I would still like to help that family if you see a way and, clearly, many more here would as well." +1
This thread got me to thinking. And I'm grateful for that.

* Roundoak's response is amazing. I knew he was a great guy before hearing anything like this. Even so, my esteem for him has soared.

* The would-be thief's actions are laudable, and downright unexpected in today's society.

* I wrangle with myself about wanting the guy's backstory to check out. I'm ashamed not to have believed what he told you, but my experience has shown me that as a person adds more details/embellishments to a story, the likelihood of it being true tends to plummet. In the end, I'm glad this story is true. I'm also sad as hell about that.

* The reactions of the posters on this thread have affirmed why I like to hang out here so much. And it tells me that our nation, indeed, has an amazing core of citizens to draw upon. Even with all the deplorable behavior we read about on the news, we've got some damned fine people in America.

* I'm not at all surprised to hear that the guy found a full time job. Skills can be taught to an employee. Character cannot.

* I found myself eager to chip-in for the man's necessities. I was personally leaning toward sending a gas card. As I think about it, though, the guy is refusing assistance. He's got a job, he's lined-up child care, and it seems that he's found the level of assistance that meets his dignity. (By the way, Roundoak, I love the way you phrased that part about his dignity). If one were to total all of what we posters might be willing to chip in, this guy may well have $1,000 or more headed his way. Only, it seems as if the fella would like to "take it from here" on his own. I find that as laudable as everything he's done so far.

* I wonder, though, what would happen if we would resolve to take the generosity we feel toward this man, and direct it to a family in our own communities? As much as we hear these days about the "welfare queens", there are plenty of families with good character and a strong work ethic, who are still down on their luck. Heat, groceries, fuel, you name it.

* If the "wood-thief-who-made-good" won't accept our donations, perhaps he might accept our stories of how this incident moved so many of us to help others in communities all across the nation.

FC
Posted By: rrroae Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
Nicely summed up bud.
Posted By: Sand_Man Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
I am absolutely just blown away, first by the young man in this thread and second, all the fire members that showed concern and offers to ease some of the burden from this young man.

The young man is for real. He showed up this morning at 6:45 AM and he worked with me all day. There were two cutters downing trees over at a neighbors and I started him on applying the choke cable from my log skidder. When we caught up to the cutters I had him cut the saw logs to length.

My wife and I had a chance to visit with him at lunch and he respectively declined the assistance that my wife and I offered. He advised that he has a full time job now and an elderly Aunt is helping him out with the kids.

This is a very proud man and he told me he wanted to make it right with me about the firewood and continue to move forward with his life. I have every reason to believe he will make it.

At the end of the day we shook hands and called it even. No lectures from me.

12344mag, gopherhunter, huntsonora, BangPop, mjbgalt, ScottF, okok, AcesNeights, Mallard Addict, rrroae, idoret, headhunter130, fgold767, Seafire, Simoneaud, SandMan, tdd4370, Idared. I am at a loss of words for your acts of kindness. You are welcome at my fire anytime.

One of you, I believe it was 12344mag, that PM'd me and said. "I guess this a lesson that stealing isn't always for selfish reasons..."

Wayne

Thanks for the up-date Wayne. Very glad to hear he has a job in this economy. Can't say as I blame him either for turning down the help. Sounds very prideful. I'd do the same probably. If you keep and eye on him and he seems to be struggling, my offer to help him and the kids is a standing offer.

Russ
Posted By: shortleade Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
Good job roundoak. Count me in if you discover something we can do to help.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
Glad it worked out. I was cynical because of the Campfire prank postings going on. This sounded funny in light of that. No offense intended. Looks like the joke's on me this time!
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
it ain't the politicians that make me proud to be an American

but you plain ole blue collar guys that have had some dirt under your fingernails and have calloused hands certainly do.

this has been an uplifting thread.

I'm grateful to roundoak for sharing it with us
Posted By: norm99 Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
thanks for the update Roundoak, glad to hear it all worked out.

He may not want [charity] in money form but if he and kids are invited to dinner, picknics and such with the extension of true friendship I am sure he would accept that .

one of the guys here said things don't turnaround that fast even when you get a job,how true. life takes time to heal when there are losses like that, you have come alongside him and accepted him ,
you might just become a extra granddad and mom for the lids.

lots of offers for help ,you be the point man.

norm
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: Firewood theft - 02/22/13
Round oak what part of Wisconsin ..
Posted By: Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr Re: Firewood theft - 02/23/13
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

* I wonder, though, what would happen if we would resolve to take the generosity we feel toward this man, and direct it to a family in our own communities? As much as we hear these days about the "welfare queens", there are plenty of families with good character and a strong work ethic, who are still down on their luck. Heat, groceries, fuel, you name it.

FC

This.

Alan
Posted By: roundoak Re: Firewood theft - Update - 03/01/13
The owner of a metal fabricator shop called me this morning and said he interviewed the young man last Monday with the idea of starting him in the parts and material area. Sorta of a "go-for." In the interview the young man said he had some welding experience so he had a foreman test him out. He exhibited some ability. He was offered a job to start as a "go-for" with a chance to move into the fabrication area. The young man accepted and will start in a week.

Wages will be significantly more than wages at current job and the job offers health insurance, vacation time and 401K. Plus the company will pay for welding/fabricating classes at the local technical school.

This opportunity happened in no small part due to the outpouring of campfire members wanting to help. I forwarded specific posts on this thread via e-mail on to several members of our church looking for ideas to help the young man. Church members reached out to several business owners in the community and it lead to this hiring.

Many church members told me that the actions by the campfire members was simply amazing. I think so too.

Wayne
I have followed this thread from the beginning and I thank you for your compassion. Here's hoping the young man makes a go of this opportunity.
Posted By: Big C Re: Firewood theft - Update - 03/01/13
It sure sounds like, if he will make the best of the opportunities offered him, that he will be up and running in no time. From your description of him and his character, I think he will be fine. Glad to hear he is getting this chance!
Posted By: 1minute Re: Firewood theft - Update - 03/01/13
On a lighter note an urban friend had a few chunks disappearing from his stack on a weekly basis. He augered out a hole in a small round, dropped in a cherry bomb, and epoxied it back to near perfection with a bit of sawdust. Arranged things so that it would be next piece taken from the stack.

Never heard a boom in the neighborhood, but the wood quit disappearing.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Firewood theft - Update - 03/01/13
That makes two good stories, 1.
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Firewood theft - Update - 03/01/13
Open memory bank.
Insert cherry-bomb-in-wood idea.
Retain.

cool
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Firewood theft - 03/01/13
Good story, from a LEO stand point it is something we wouldn't get involved in unless asked and if you, the victim pushed it. An important element of any crime is intent to permanently deprive the victim of the property and or the value of the property. Not sure a prosecutor would do much with it. Sounds like he was in desperate need of staying warm and didn't know who to contact at the time. Haven't read all the pages but it sounds like it is working out for you. Good on you for not being a complete prick and having some compassion. A rarity these days.
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Firewood theft - 03/01/13
Thanks for the update Roundoak
I just stumbled upon this thread. To say that I'm moved is an understatement...

Well done.....everyone....
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Firewood theft - Update - 03/01/13
I went back and read through the most of this thread. You may not realize how much of a difference you made in this man's life. As a LEO in a rural area I see a lot of this. As in people in really hard places with nothing left to resort to. I just responded to a suicide involving a young man in a very similar situation. He had nothing left. No job, no home, no hope and too proud to beg or ask for help. He put a 30-'06 to his chest at that was the end for him. Left a note explaining a very similar situation. What you did could have very well saved this man's life. Good on you.
Posted By: mikeymjr23 Re: Firewood theft - Update - 03/01/13
This is amazing!

Great job, sir!!!
Posted By: tzone Re: Firewood theft - Update - 03/01/13
Excellent news! EXCELLENT NEWS!
Round oak,
Don't know where in Wi you live, but if its reasonably close to Appleton I know of places where we can cut lots of free firewood.
Just let me know
Posted By: mart Re: Firewood theft - Update - 03/02/13
roundoak,

You are a good man.

Mart
Posted By: roundoak Re: Firewood theft - Update - 03/02/13
Jaydub, I live in Southwestern Wisconsin, which is a far piece to cut and haul firewood. Plus, the DNR don't want you to move firewood because of the Emerald Ash Borer.

Any way, thanks for the offer.

Wayne
Wayne,

This is heartwarming to hear the way this has turned out. My faith in my fellow man has been renewed by what has transpired here. If you cross paths with this man again, please let him know if there's ever a time he feels down again, that there's a whole bunch of gun loonies here that really care about his well being.

Best Regards,

GG

PM sent
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Firewood theft - Update - 03/02/13
Thanks for the update Wayne, It does my heart good to know that doors are opening up for this young man.

Looks to me like he "stole" from the right guy. wink
Anything I could say has already been said better than I could ever say it. Will just add that this young man, RoundOak and so many others here are the fire are good people!
Roundoak,
The emerald ash borer is here now, plenty of nice white ash firewood will soon be available. Got some back in nov.
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Firewood theft - Update - 03/02/13
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Wayne,

This is heartwarming to hear the way this has turned out. My faith in my fellow man has been renewed by what has transpired here. If you cross paths with this man again, please let him know if there's ever a time he feels down again, that there's a whole bunch of gun loonies here that really care about his well being.

Best Regards,

GG

+1
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Firewood theft - Update - 03/02/13
this could not have worked out better. i am glad our posts and thoughts meant something and helped. i am sure he will make the most of this opportunity, being the kind of guy he appears to be.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Firewood theft - Update - 03/02/13
Just read it all for the first time.

Seems like he won't take a thing... but if that ever changes... its easy for us to grab a walmart card here and forward it on....

Just name it!

And kudos for going so far out of your way to make things work out the best they can for him and his family.

We certainly know that .mil doesn't get paid very well, especially vs hours worked. And all the sacrafices they give up for the rest of our freedom. I'm more than willing to pitch in a bit at any time.

In the meantime I think that what most of us need to do, is simply keep the young man and his family in our prayers and that God continue to guide him and lead him down the correct path and that his vision be clear enough to see and follow that path.

Jeff

Jeff
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Firewood theft - 12/23/13
Was just thinking about this thread.

Wondering how things turned out with the young man.?
Posted By: norm99 Re: Firewood theft - 12/23/13
plus 30 more of us grin

norm
Posted By: 4xbear Re: Firewood theft - 12/23/13
Would like to know how the young man turned out. Hopefully well?
Posted By: J23 Re: Firewood theft - 12/23/13
I must have missed this one last winter, first I've read about it, but yes, I'm kind of curious about his situation as well. Has it improved?

I know it was mentioned several times back when it was originally posted, but I commend the young man for his honesty. Stealing is wrong, but around here at least, theft generally leads back to a needle in one's arm, or a glass pipe in one's mouth. I suppose you become so accustomed to that motive, that you forget that some folks are in such dire straights that theft is the only answer.

I wish him well.

..and a big +1 for an update.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Firewood theft - 12/23/13
Yes, we need an update on this. Not too late to spread a little Christmas cheer if the family's still in need.
Posted By: mack5511 Re: Firewood theft - 12/23/13
ttt
Posted By: roundoak Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
I guess I was asleep at the wheel. A fire member sent me a PM that there was activity on this thread.

I am pleased to share the bootstrap efforts of the young man. He and his young kids are doing well.

He continues to work for a metal fabricator and is enrolled at the local technical college taking welding and fabricating courses. He moved out of the parts and materials department and is on the welding floor. I spoke with the owner last month and he said he has an excellent math aptitude and has shown interest in CAD/CAM processes.

The company obtained a fabrication job for a company in the North Dakota Bakken Field and he worked on it in the shop and was on the crew that finished it on the job site. He had several lucrative job offers there in ND, but turned them down because he wanted to be near his kids.

He joined our church and I see him in church with his mother and kids most every Sunday and at some of the church functions.

During our last conversation he talked about replacing the rear end of his pickup. The pickup with the Bush/Cheney bumper sticker. smile

Thanks to all for your concern.

Wayne
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
WONDERFUL NEWS!
Merry Christmas to you, roundoak - and him, and his kids!

Mark
Merry Christmas, Mark.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
Pretty neat story...
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
Could have been a totally different story if you had handled it differently! Sounds like you gave a young man a nudge down the right road and he took it from there. Just doesn't get much better! Merry Christmas!
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
What a great story! I'm glad he took YOUR firewood!!
Posted By: ldholton Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
you just want some wood don't you f.a.g.
Posted By: okok Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
You're a good Man roundoak!
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
This is one of the best threads on this site. Merry Christmas all. Roundoak, you, and others here are very good men. Thank you.

Pat
Posted By: Scott F Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
Thanks for the update. I love happy endings.
Posted By: Cheesehunter Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

Yeah - could not have happened to a nicer guy :~)

Merry Christmas everbody!
Thanks for the update! I had been wondering about this fella, too.

A perfect story for this Season of Hope.

FC
Posted By: RickcNY Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13

sad story and a real tragedy if it's true ,I commend him for coming back to make it right and you for allowing him to do. So ,God bless you all and Merry Christmas
Posted By: dmsbandit Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
once knew a guy who had very little money himself and lived thru the great depression by working for his meals as he traveled the country looking for work. things were so bad one winter here in NY, he lived on black birds.

He heated his shack of a house with a wood stove and worked hard to get enough wood for the winter. He also had a problem with someone stealing his wood, but they never offered to repay him. He solved his firewood thefts the old fashioned way. He hollowed out a piece of firewood and filled it with blackpowder.

The firewood thefts NEVER occurred again.
Posted By: shootem Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
There's always more to the story:

Luke 6:38
38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

You gave and forgave. That's the way it's supposed to be.
Originally Posted by shootem
There's always more to the story:

Luke 6:38
38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

You gave and forgave. That's the way it's supposed to be.

I can only accept partial credit, the predominance goes to a higher power.

Thank you all for your kind words and well wishes.

Merry Christmas

Wayne
Posted By: 4xbear Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
Good deal! Thanks for the update.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
thanksfor the up date and may the LORD be with you and yours this Christmas.
and with all those that offered help.

norm
Posted By: Idared Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
Many thanks for the update. I have thought about this vet many times and wondered how he was doing. Glad to hear he values being with his family rather than making big money away from them.

Please wish him seasons greetings from me also. It's nice to hear stories about hard work paying off.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
I guess I was asleep at the wheel. A fire member sent me a PM that there was activity on this thread.

I am pleased to share the bootstrap efforts of the young man. He and his young kids are doing well.

He continues to work for a metal fabricator and is enrolled at the local technical college taking welding and fabricating courses. He moved out of the parts and materials department and is on the welding floor. I spoke with the owner last month and he said he has an excellent math aptitude and has shown interest in CAD/CAM processes.

The company obtained a fabrication job for a company in the North Dakota Bakken Field and he worked on it in the shop and was on the crew that finished it on the job site. He had several lucrative job offers there in ND, but turned them down because he wanted to be near his kids.

He joined our church and I see him in church with his mother and kids most every Sunday and at some of the church functions.

During our last conversation he talked about replacing the rear end of his pickup. The pickup with the Bush/Cheney bumper sticker. smile

Thanks to all for your concern.

Wayne

Don't know about anyone else... but this brought a tear or two to the old eyeballs...

Glad to hear he and his family are doing well, much better than last year....

and Round Oak... I'll just keep it simple... May God's Blessings be kind and smile on you and your wife this Christmas Season and the coming New Year for the goodness you extended to this young veteran in his time of need, especially under the circumstances it all got started under...

its guys like you and this young veteran that gives hope for the future of this country in this day and age...with all the negativity in the evening news and the way those in power are trying to undermine the very foundation this nation was built upon...

Merry Christmas to you and your family Wayne!
Posted By: mack5511 Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
+1 John, I don't think I could have said it better!!
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
Thanks for the update Wayne. What an inspiring story, and thanks for sharing it.

Merry Christmas.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13

How many times has this SAME scenario played out in the past 5-6 years.

How many times have you posted this, before ?

GTC
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
Are you conrfusing Christmas with Easter and Resurrection and all? This story was brought back up by someone asking for an update... wink
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Firewood theft - 12/24/13
Got it,

....thanks

GTC
© 24hourcampfire