Home
Posted By: ltppowell Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Recently, one of my friends profoundly announced that there are two types of "gun nuts"..."gun slobs and gun snobs". I personally care only about a weapons performance, and don't appreciate fancy stuff at all. That makes me a slob.

Which are you?
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Somewhere in the middle.
Posted By: BrentD Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Personally, I'm not interested in newfangled technology that incrementally removes ever more shooter skill from the equation.

So that makes me a gun snob I suppose. I'm good with that.
Posted By: Waders Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
I'm both.

Kimbers and Glocks. Walnut and black plastic. I like them all.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Slob.

I use the dust cover on my AR to keep the grime in, not out.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
In hindsight, I probably should have posted this on one of the forums where people actually shoot 'n stuff.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Rifles beat schit and scratched, that shoot well, are much more interesting to me than walnut and blued pipe bombs that can't get wet.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Slob.

I'm flattered, you must have wiped your rifle down to meet me. smile
Posted By: T LEE Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
While I appreciate finely made even fancy firearms, in my hands they soon become shooters however 'cause I won't own one I don't shoot the hell out of.
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Definite slob here. If they are pretty and don't shoot they are useless to me. Even if I do like looking at the pretty stuff I will never own any.
Posted By: grouseman Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Choose between polar opposites? Why?
Originally Posted by ltppowell
In hindsight, I probably should have posted this on one of the forums where people actually shoot 'n stuff.

That would be a better idea, but then you don't go to those forums... wink
Posted By: rattler Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
knees are shot, been known to trip.....i dont have safe queens cause any gun i take hunting much wont stay nice for long....i appreciate artistry but rather hunt with a tool that works well....
lol...see what I mean? You hang out with the tree huggers and I hang out with the tire burners.
Originally Posted by grouseman
Choose between polar opposites? Why?

No reason to choose. "Normal" people need not apply. smile
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Slob
Posted By: 1minute Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
A little bit of both. I have what some a few might consider truck units, and some that get an "Oh wow!" response.
Posted By: stumpy Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Never cared what a gun looked like. Strictly a tool I used for
hunting. However, if the tool won't shoot up to my minimum accuracy standards, it is out the door.
Dependability and accuracy. Looks a distant third. Nice when the all come together in one old Sako.

stumpy
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
lol...see what I mean? You hang out with the tree huggers and I hang out with the tire burners.

I've seen you get all sentimental and teary eyed about a pretty little model 42, so don't try to tell me you're a pure slob. Just mostly.

and definitely a tire burner.

I appreciate my nice ones, but don't have any that can't go out in the rain.
Posted By: Oldslowdog Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13

I personally care only about a weapons performance, and don't appreciate fancy stuff at all. That makes me a slob.

That would be me as well.

I've been criticized for suggesting to folks that you can buy two SKS/AK rifles and several cases of ammo for the same money that you'll pay for a single M4 clone and no ammo. They look at me like a heretic or something.

Utility tops everything else in my opinion.

I do possess an expensive rifle or two, but not anything a gun snob would find appealing. Mostly "plastic" long range guns and quality glass that enables me to hit things a ways off.

A Purdy, H&H, or an Echols would be completely wasted on me....

Good thread!
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

I've seen you get all sentimental and teary eyed about a pretty little model 42, so don't try to tell me you're a pure slob. Just mostly.

Hey Jack! I want a 42...but not a "pretty one"! You know I like .410's. smile
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
I'm both.

This.

I have some that are simply tools, some that have sentimental value, some made by true craftsman, some made with practices long-abandoned (viewed in today's world as too costly), and some that are collector grade. Only the last group doesn't get "shot", for what I hope are obvious reasons.

For just plain well made fireams, pre WWI is where it's at. Hand fitted, hand polished, hand checkered, hand engraved - they are marvels. Unhappily, metallurgy, and components -- powders, primers, and bullets -- of the day, leave these firearms lacking, when compared to the ballistic capabilities of their contemporary counterparts.

Can't imagine never enjoying the use of a firearm that was actually crafted. (there are a few modern exceptions - but normally, they are a custom firearm).

Can't imagine never enjoying the use of a firearm that's utilitaian in design, but posesses marvelous capabilities.

Not exactly.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rattler
knees are shot, been known to trip.....i dont have safe queens cause any gun i take hunting much wont stay nice for long....i appreciate artistry but rather hunt with a tool that works well....

Who said anything about safe queens?
[Linked Image]

Posted By: heavywalker Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Never really cared what they look like just as long as the work properly.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Originally Posted by BrentD

Not exactly.
[Linked Image]

Personally, I'm not interested in newfangled technology that incrementally removes ever more shooter skill from the equation.

So that makes me a gun snob I suppose. I'm good with that.

So why the new fangled binoculars and why aren't you shooting a matchlock? confused Looks like a new fangled cartridge sgooter to me.

Oh by the way...nice use of taxpayers $$ using www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/PPB/Africa%202006/Warthog.jpg to store your hunting pictures wink
Posted By: Boise Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
I have both safe queens and hammered field pieces, some get treated kinder than others, I love them all.

I've been on numerous tire burning trips - what else you suppose to burn out in the middle of a treeless desert?
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Slob.

I'm stealing that

Mike
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Recently, one of my friends profoundly announced that there are two types of "gun nuts"..."gun slobs and gun snobs". I personally care only about a weapons performance, and don't appreciate fancy stuff at all. That makes me a slob.

Which are you?

Probably not a good example of either. Picture tee shirt, shorts, birkenstocks, and a tied-down single action. Picture someone with a Larry the Cable Guy flannel shirt and a Sage fly rod. Picture a 1980 external frame Kelty pack and a Western Mountaineering sleeping bag.

I dance to the beat of my own harmonica if'n I do gotta say so myself.

Tom
Originally Posted by eh76
So why the new fangled binoculars and why aren't you shooting a matchlock? confused Looks like a new fangled cartridge sgooter to me.

Because I don't effing feel like it. Is that a problem for you?

Oh by the way...nice use of taxpayers $$ using www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/PPB/Africa%202006/Warthog.jpg to store your hunting pictures wink

Glad that you approve. I don't suppose you work for free do you?

Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Originally Posted by T LEE
While I appreciate finely made even fancy firearms, in my hands they soon become shooters however 'cause I won't own one I don't shoot the hell out of.

This is me, too.

Ed

just pointing out your hypocrisy liberal wink
I'm all for modern technology, otherwise I'd not be able to see Brent's pics and he wouldn't be able to fly to far away places and pay money to kill critters.

Just like the old days.

More like your jealousy. But that's okay, I'll manage.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm all for modern technology, otherwise I'd not be able to see Brent's pics and he wouldn't be able to fly to far away places and pay money to kill critters..

Technology does have it's advantages.
Posted By: Boise Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
I'm all for modern technology, otherwise I'd not be able to see Brent's pics and he wouldn't be able to fly to far away places and pay money to kill critters.

Just like the old days.

You make it so very simple. LMFAO
So long as you can use some of it to look down your nose and fit your agenda I guess it does.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Pat, I don't like either of those terms since to me a gun slob is someone who doesn't hunt or shoot a lot and is not safe to be around when they are holding a gun. A gun snob is a self serving, self aggrandizing, smarter than thou David Petzal types, unlike John Wooters, jack OConner, and John Jobson.
I would say the two types are gun haters ranging to gun lovers, of which I am in the better, latter, smarter camp. grin
Posted By: roundoak Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
I prefer to look at it as I am part of the Chevrolet set, rather than jet set.
Originally Posted by Boise
I have both safe queens and hammered field pieces, some get treated kinder than others, I love them all.

I've been on numerous tire burning trips - what else you suppose to burn out in the middle of a treeless desert?
after a few dove hunts i took my browning 1 of 500 American Mallard (Midas class Belgium) squirrel hunting and the high base six cracked the grip of exhibition grade burl walnut. After Browning repaired it it became a safe queen until I sold it.
Originally Posted by eyeball
Pat, I don't like either of those terms since to me a gun slob is someone who doesn't hunt or shoot a lot and is not safe to be around when they are holding a gun. A gun snob is a self serving, self aggrandizing, smarter than thou David Petzal types, unlike John Wooters, jack OConner, and John Jobson.

No, those are just average, everyday slobs and snobs. Unfortunately some of them own guns. We don't have to look far for those. grin
So long as you can use some of it to look down your nose and fit your agenda I guess it does.

I take notes from you. smile
Guess your dead on there again, Pat.

More like your jealousy. But that's okay, I'll manage.

not even close libtard...not even close...but you keep trying to convince yourself laugh
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Pretty up to the point of "can't take a little rubbin' and scrapin' or takin' a bath" is too pretty.

Except allowance made for not needlessly beating up antiques in the rain, being as they've survived this far in pretty nice shape. Still happens, but.

Posted By: JSTUART Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13

What hypocrisy...the man shoots and is posting on a shooters site.

...are you sure you don't have your panties in a twist?
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Slob. A gun is a tool. I can slightly appreciate the pretty ones, but I don't own any.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Nitro bipolar.

Nitro damascus diamond grade featherweight Lindner and Ruger M77 .260 assembled from parts, affectionately known as "ebay".
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
<shrug> I have eclectic tastes, but no safe queens. Except for a sho'nuff wall hanger, all have to shoot, and shoot well. Some are old, some are new, some are newly made, old designs...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

grin
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Slob.

I'm flattered, you must have wiped your rifle down to meet me. smile

I kept it closed to keep the crud off yer seat.

See, even when it doesn't show I'm still doing little things fer ya.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

no but you do wink you apparently don't pay attention or maybe you are a liberal from Australia..........birds of a feather you know.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13

Me too. Guess that's why we get along so well, huh?
grin
Posted By: rem141r Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
i like a nice blued and walnut gun but would never own something i was afraid to get a scratch on. if i can't shoot it and hunt with it, i don't want it. unless i get a heck of deal on something to turn over.
Posted By: poboy Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
Gun swab here.
Posted By: oulufinn Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
95+ percent slob. It's kind of a relief when a rifle, scope or truck get that first real scratch. It usually means you're using it, not just lookin' at it. It's kind of liberating, as you know there will be more, soon. Drive it like ya stole it.

It's even more fun when you see a snob have a conniption fit when they get some kind of a little ding in some of their gear. cool
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/04/13
I wonder where I fit into this cluster? I think I know, but I'll let the audience decide....
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13

Hey Jack! I want a 42...but not a "pretty one"! You know I like .410's. smile

Went and looked up model 42's 410 for sale, lowest was 1,200 up to 15,000.
and the lowest was pending sale.
I'll keep an eye out for you Pat. No telling.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
I am a gun guy, either way works for me.
I do not have safe queens, my guns get used.
Posted By: BrentD Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13

no but you do wink you apparently don't pay attention or maybe you are a liberal from Australia..........birds of a feather you know.

so, eh76, does this make me a snob, a slob, or a liberal?

It was over 180 yrs old and hunted in rain and snow and all it was was a grocery shopping tool. Worth just under $7k at the time, I don't think anyone has ever accused me of sheltering safe queens.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yup, I think your panties are pretty twisted. laugh laugh
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
One of the things that always strikes me about these threads is how the rifle-is-a-tool guys get really snobby about their purism. They somehow think their attitude makes them superior--and thus are far snobbier than those who own and hunt with nice walnut-stocked rifles of any sort.

Personally, I'm a rifle loony, meaning I own and HUNT with a pile of different rifles, ranging from totally factory bolt-actions with Tupperware stocks, to very fancy custom and antique rifles that have been wet or dragged through the dirt many times.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
I like all guns, and have some pretty nice ones, but would NEVER look down my nose at another mans choice in weaponry.

Gunner
Posted By: Darrel Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
If it is NOT accurate, it is a piece of crap no matter what it looks like! Ya' can't miss 'em fast enough to kill 'em so what good is a 'looker' that doesn't shoot accurately?
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
I will admit to being a bit more carefull using my H&H Royal than I am with my Rem M11. Call me what you want.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
Could very well be Sir. Guns is made to be shot, pictures are fer hangin' on the wall.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
Slob!, A gun was made to shoot not sit in a safe.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the things that always strikes me about these threads is how the rifle-is-a-tool guys get really snobby about their purism. They somehow think their attitude makes them superior--and thus are far snobbier than those who own and hunt with nice walnut-stocked rifles of any sort.

Of the 1206 posts on the Rifles on a Fence Post, photo thread, I still don't see too many hammers, chisels, or adjustable wrenches.

For those not acquainted - for your viewing pleasure:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../Fence_post_pics_or_any_post#Post5419694

Never met a man who considered a rifle "just" a tool. The number of people that make a living writing about them clearly tells me they aren't screwdrivers.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
Could very well be Sir. Guns is made to be shot, pictures TARGETS are fer hangin' on the wall.

Fixed it fer ya.

I gotta tell you, findin' out last year that my SAA was a shooter and not a wall-hanger was one of the best days of my life...
grin
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
Guess I'll have to ask a question, since my recent post obviously was bypassed (per usual) by Internet posters who never read other people's posts:

Who in HELL ever decided pretty rifles don't shoot well?

I have at least a dozen very pretty hunting rifles that shoot as well as the average synthetic-stocked custom rifle. I know this after owning a pile of synthetic-stocked custom rifles.
Posted By: Savage_99 Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
I prefer my titles.

Of course we started out with perhaps a hand me down and some like a fine gun or more and others have a 'truck gun' or whatever and more also.

[Linked Image]

custom pic. from the net ottmarpicture107
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13

Personally, I'm a rifle loony, meaning I own and HUNT with a pile of different rifles, ranging from totally factory bolt-actions with Tupperware stocks, to very fancy custom and antique rifles that have been wet or dragged through the dirt many times.

I've got to agree with you John. I doubt you remember but I wrote back in the fall about a rem. 760 that unthought I got a decent deal with. It ain't real pretty but it shoots federal a 165 trophy copper loads into an inch. The only "pretty" rifle I have is a sears model 53 that I had restocked. That one shoots 150 grain Hornadys into about an inch. But again. I like them all. I'm a huge sucker for duck guns
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13

Which are you?

He missed the third group...gun-sluts. whistle whistle

I fit there. wink
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
I will admit to being a bit more carefull using my H&H Royal than I am with my Rem M11. Call me what you want.

OK, then, you are a gun slut. ;-{>8
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
Well put, John. I personally own AND hunt several Ruger #1's for which I try to take a modicum of care. The rifle that rides the most in (and out) of the feed truck was very nice looking, for about a month. A fast, uncontrolled, trip down a talus slope took care of the cosmetics. Being thrown out of the Polaris (twice), didn't help matters any. This little CZ has worn out 3 feed trucks, looks horrible, and continues to kill coyotes and prairie dogs at pretty fair distances, in spite of the operator!
I guess I'll just straddle the fence, on this one!

Mark
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13

It was over 180 yrs old and hunted in rain and snow and all it was was a grocery shopping tool. Worth just under $7k at the time, I don't think anyone has ever accused me of sheltering safe queens.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Always better panties, than gray matter.
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Always better panties, than gray matter.

When did eh76 come up with any gray matter? He must have stolen it.
Who in HELL ever decided pretty rifles don't shoot well?

My prettiest rifles are my target rifles. And they are, for sure, the best shooting.

They also get used the hardest, beat the worst, and generally get a whole lot more wear than the average hunting rifle. Rain, dust storms, getting dragged in and out of safes and trucks and up and down the firing line for many more days/yr than a hunting rifle, they take a beating.

Guys that are serious competitors often have rifles that look a lot more the stereotyped hunting rifle than they do like real hunting rifles. They sure aren't closet queens.

But mine do get babied when they aren't at a match or the range.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
I think of guns as very nice tools. Some are just nicer than others.
Posted By: Hoyt Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
These days, when I get in the mood for a new one I build it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigfish9684 Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
Rifles for hunting: Slob as long as the bullet goes where I ask

Rifles for shooting: Snob. Period. They get looked at, wiped down and put away.

Handguns and Shotguns: Slob. Strictly business like hunting rifles.

I got the hots for nice bolt rifles. What can I say? Now I have a problem because I'm selling my workhorse Wby Vanguard 308 to my buddy. Might have to muck up something nice...
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
I hunt woodcock in the Atchafalya Swamp with an English double that was made when Victoria was queen.....slob snob, I guess.

the mud wipes off.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
I like a quality gun that shoots good. If it's got engraving, that just makes it purtier. If it gots some Pearl or Ivory grips, that's good too. Gotta be a shooter first and a looker second. I don't know what that makes me. I don't really care.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
All I care about is if it kills stuff when I pull the trigger. Fancy wood and gold inlays mean nothing to me, and I can't afford 'em anyway, so it's a moot point. 'Guess that makes me a gun slob.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
Hoyt,

That's a real pretty hunting rifle!

Nicely done, both in the making and the hunting....
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
Originally Posted by Hoyt

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Beautiful.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
Originally Posted by oulufinn
95+ percent slob. It's kind of a relief when a rifle, scope or truck get that first real scratch. It usually means you're using it, not just lookin' at it. It's kind of liberating, as you know there will be more, soon. Drive it like ya stole it.

It's even more fun when you see a snob have a conniption fit when they get some kind of a little ding in some of their gear. cool

Perzactly, especialy watching the snob cry. laugh
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
I've tryed to be a gun snob all my life. It just doesn't work out. Nothing wrong with it, I just find that four identicle 870's are more important to me than one piece of "art". A friend of mine showed me a 1904 Colt Bisley in mint conditiom with original stag grips, he picked up for $400 Saturday. The gun was stunning, but all I could think of was "Man, I'd love to auction that thing.".
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13

I feel the same way about trailer queens. Go to a car show and see a knockout with rock chips in the fender wells is by far better than one that has only been rubbed with carnuba and a cloth diaper. Just like women, looks can be decieveing.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice rifle - and deer!
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There's nothing like art that shoots! cool cool
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
I figure a gun is a tool. I buy them to do a job and do it well. I don't care what it looks like as long as it shoots every time and is accurate. My big game and varmint rifles are both ugly, black, plastic stocked Savages. Ugly, yes. Accurate and reliable - double yes. If I need something to hug and caress, I have a perfectly good wife at home.
Posted By: Timberlake Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
Nice flinter, but how'd that post get in here?
Posted By: grovey Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
I just can't bring myself to like a syn stock. Give me a nice piece of wood anyday, but it won't be as pretty when i use it for a season...
Posted By: Hoyt Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
Originally Posted by Timberlake

Thanks. Right now I'm a gun slob who likes to build nice looking flintlocks to hunt with. Are you in the snob section? If so, here's another one to bitch about.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
Nice going, of course a flinter will be about the only thing you can own in Illanoise soon.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
Dats the biggest grouse Ive ever seen....
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
It's a miniature flint, Hoyt is only 3 foot tall..
Posted By: HugAJackass Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
I have a few guns. I think they're pretty (including my Glock). Others may not. I use all my guns.
Posted By: Timberlake Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
Originally Posted by Timberlake

Thanks. Right now I'm a gun slob who likes to build nice looking flintlocks to hunt with. Are you in the snob section? If so, here's another one to bitch about.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yes, I was in the snob & slob section and then this thread came about at page 5. Still, a very nice flinter!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
I am schizophrenic.. crazy..I like them all,whether SS/Syn or fancy wood and pimped metal.But,they have to work well to keep me happy.... I hate cheap rifles...this is not the same as "inexpensive" rifles which can be good tools that will last a lifetime of service.Cheap rifles are junk.

The notion that fancy wood stocked rifles, built to hunt,are not great hunting rifles, is incorrect."Pretty" does not mean "fragile".
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
I've tryed to be a gun snob all my life. It just doesn't work out. Nothing wrong with it, I just find that four identicle 870's are more important to me than one piece of "art". A friend of mine showed me a 1904 Colt Bisley in mint conditiom with original stag grips, he picked up for $400 Saturday. The gun was stunning, but all I could think of was "Man, I'd love to auction that thing.".

that was a legal robbery right there.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
No kidding, and I would shoot hell out of it.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
Originally Posted by BobinNH

The notion that fancy wood stocked rifles, built to hunt,are not great hunting rifles, is incorrect."Pretty" does not mean "fragile".

Well said.

Who gives two chits what the other guy does?
Shoot what you like.

Posted By: eyeball Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
Life's too short, to hunt with an ugly gun.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
I hunt woodcock in the Atchafalya Swamp with an English double that was made when Victoria was queen.....slob snob, I guess.

the mud wipes off.

I did same with a British 303 double draped over a muddy and bloody Tennessee Boar, it wipes off fine. grin

Gunner
Posted By: Notropis Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13

Which are you?

I think the friend was terribly wrong to try to lump all gun owners and gun users in those two categories and I reject any attempt to label most people with either of those two somewhat derogatory terms.

We all own firearms of different types for different reasons and for different uses. It is impossible to describe all those differences by those two terms.

I shoot CAS with a Parker, a 32-20 Marlin made in 1895, and some Ruger Vaqueros.

I hunt turkeys with either an A.H. Fox 3" double or a SBE.

I hunt coyotes with either a black rifle or a pre-64 M70.

I have a "black" 870 and a Mini 30 in the cab of one of my tractors but often carry a Colt SAA in 44-40 when on a different tractor.

Labels often do not describe reality very well.
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
Originally Posted by eyeball
Life's too short, to hunt with an ugly gun.

amen to that. Last time I brought home a plastic stocked rifle, wifey said "you got enough of those ugly rifles, bring home some pretty ones".
I got rainy day guns and pretty day guns but I don't try to ruin any of them...
Posted By: RWE Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
Ugly guns need love too.

Posted By: norm99 Re: Aficionado or Basic? - 03/05/13
slonob i guess, all are antiques, even me .Nothing newer than 1972 most from 1902 to 1928 then from 1929 to 55 with a few dribbles in the 60s 70s. Have to protect a few in the safe you know grin

norm

that was a legal robbery right there.

He owns a pawn shop, and has over 200 old Colt single actions. If for nothing else, that would be a good reason to have a shop in rural Texas.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
has over 200 old Colt single actions.

If he owns 'em, he has no need to work.

If has 'em, and is workin' towards ownin' 'em - I have zip ties he can have. There are reasons.
No...he owns them. He's been collecting them, and silver coins, for 40 years. I meen COLLECT too. All he does is complain about being poor and will not get rid of any of them! smile
Posted By: eh76 Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Keep attempting to convince yourself brent. The day you drop the arrogant, look down your nose slant on what yuo choose to hunt with vs what others do I will cut you slack. I don't give a rosy rat's ass what that piece if firewood is worth.

You know something about possessions? And it will affect everyone. Someday they will belong to someone else. No getting around that. You do what you like and let everyone else do the same. Pretty darn simple ....quit being the arrogant ass you always are. Most here can see it. Your groupies don't but that is there problem.
FWIW I like pretty wood and I like functionality. Lately I will take a good synthetic stock over a wood one for use.
Posted By: HugAJackass Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
Originally Posted by RWE
Ugly guns need love too.

They will find it at my place...
With that number of Colts, it's probable he has a few needing zip ties - I'm sure he understands that. And, I celebrate the good fortunes for need of his snobbery (in fact, I'm jealous).

As usual, eh, you really can't get over yourself. You had to attack me just to make yourself feel better. I don't care what you or anyone else hunts with, nor did I attack anyone like you have gone after me. But I'm fine with that.

BTW, the double rifle already does belong to someone else. I sold it for a very tidy profit and bought a custom winchester and another Sharps.

Now take another swing. You know you can't resist.
keep trying to convince yourself brent. Your insecurity is evident to all.

who gives a schit if you sold it and made a "tidy little profit" stating crap like like shows your insecurity.

"You had to attack me just to make yourself feel better.Now take another swing. You know you can't resist."

"attacked you" that is a laugh and then some. call you on you bullshit yes. for a teacher you don't know the definition of attacked. typical liberal exaggeration.

back at you little man wink
Originally Posted by Mako25
With that number of Colts, it's probable he has a few needing zip ties - I'm sure he understands that. And, I celebrate the good fortunes for need of his snobbery (in fact, I'm jealous).

lol...he loves to show them off and always wnts me to "feel" the actions, saying "I know I ain't 'sposed to spin 'em, but I can't help myself."...especially the custom shop guns.
*cringe*

His treasures - he may do as he sees fit!

One day, I'd sure like to beg an intruduction. No arm twistin', not even a hint of any ulterior motives. I'd just like to bask.

*I will offer zip ties however - I know the temptations*
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
I still want a Colt SAA.
I still want a Colt SAA.

Close enough?
http://wyomingarmory.com/products/items/cde/
eh, you do not disappoint. Never do.

Being able to hunt with an antique while it appreciates in value is one of several benefits of old wood and steel. You don't get that do you. Went right over your head. Again.

Posted By: rost495 Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
slob by far. If it shoots really good, who cares what it looks like. At least to an extent.

There is a reason I pick colors on MC stocks.... rather than just run brown or black.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Snob or Slob? - 03/05/13
I still want a Colt SAA.

I'm bringing mine to the Boar hunt Steelie, you can shot it all ya like.

Gunner
© 24hourcampfire