Home
Posted By: JGRaider PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
PO'ed at me and my buddies, who ventured out to Toledo Bend this past weekend to attack some spawning bass. This was the first day's carnage. Day 2 was the same. My coonass buddies know what they're doing, obviously.

[Linked Image 
								</div>
	</div>
	<div class=
Posted By: MColeman Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
What's the daily limit there? I'd question the wisdom of taking so many spawning bass.
Posted By: snubbie Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
MAN, I'd like to be in on that fish fry!
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
Originally Posted by MColeman
What's the daily limit there? I'd question the wisdom of taking so many spawning bass.

8 fish limit/day/person, 14" minimum length shocked ... ruh-ro!

Great catch!

Posted By: hatari Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
What a haul.
Posted By: sse Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
I never heard of anybody who loved eating bass...
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
Originally Posted by sse

Whar u frum, Mars? grin
Posted By: luv2safari Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
Originally Posted by Oldman2003
Originally Posted by sse

Whar u frum, Mars? grin

Must be... Even here in N. NV where we have few bass, a lot of people love to eat bass. laugh laugh
nuthin like a good piece o'bass in the mornin...
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
+1
Posted By: KansasBound Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
agreed to that!
Posted By: W7ACT Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
When we lived in Central Washington in the Heart of the Columbia Basin we would fish some of the potholes South of Moses Lake, it was a no brainier to bring home at least a burlap bag filled with either small mouth bass or brim in just a couple of hours fishing. We didn't need a boat we would do it from the bank. None of the fish went to waste either as we had regular stopping points where some of the old ladies begging us to leave the fish with them.
Besides, catchin 'em would be a lot more fun than haulin 'em around...
Forget PETA. There are some places where local bass anglers might string you up...
Posted By: NeBassman Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Forget PETA. There are some places where local bass anglers might string you up...

laugh

grin
Posted By: JGRaider Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
Originally Posted by Oldman2003

8 fish limit/day/person, 14" minimum length shocked ... ruh-ro!

Great catch!

Our crowd was well within the limit. We were fishing with an ex game warden.

How so?

Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
+1

What's the problem? We ate a bunch, brought home a bunch, and will feed lots of friends and family. No problemo, in my book anyway. My "locals anglilng buddies" have been catching them like that since the early '70's. Don't seem to be any shortage of them, at least in the last 40 years.
Posted By: bucktail Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13

Same around here. Muskie fishermen are worse though. I don't generally keep bass except for rock bass unless I'm camping; there are just better options here.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
I see, this is not a catch n release thread .....
Posted By: Salmonella Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
Originally Posted by bucktail

Same around here. Muskie fishermen are worse though. I don't generally keep bass except for rock bass unless I'm camping; there are just better options here.

You want anger and outrage spend some time on the steelhead fishing boards...
Originally Posted by atvalaska

Not hardly. I don't apologize for it either. We were more than legal, cleaned and ate/will eat every single one of them, brought a bunch back to the desert with me, and will enjoy them over the next 3-4 months. Some of you folks need to lighten up a bit.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

How so?

+1

What's the problem? We ate a bunch, brought home a bunch, and will feed lots of friends and family. No problemo, in my book anyway. My "locals anglilng buddies" have been catching them like that since the early '70's. Don't seem to be any shortage of them, at least in the last 40 years.

Like politics, it's all local... there ARE places -- especially smaller lakes that get heavy tournament pressure -- where the catch-and-release ethic rules, and they'd happily hang people for killing largemouths. Obviously not the case there, but I know some people who would have a coronary merely by looking at that photo!
Do you know anything at all about Toledo Bend?
when famdamly comes up here fishin...I have to turn the fish lose myself .....they want to keep any and everything...rite to the limit. I always ask why?....cause their is so many and there big!!! I always say "THEY GOT THAT WAY, CAUSE I PUT THEM BACK"...18 to 20+inch graying and 44-48"+ pike all day long...u will stop fishing cause u are tired. btw I was guilty as a youg man-back in the states lol....not givin u a hard time just thinking out loud

How so?

Most bass anglers are hardcore "catch and release" fanatics. grin

Not me though, my dad used to own a 10 acre pond that was bass heavy and we always had a hard time getting people to actual harvest largemouth when they were out fishing. It got to the point where I had to start donating LMB to our local raptor recovery center to get better growth rates for the LMB in his pond. The last four years that he owned it I had our local Game and Parks biologists come out and electroshock and remove 150 LMB a year to stock in public lakes. Harvest helps when done right and the most common size of fish are thinned down. I do like to see BIG fish thrown back just simply because they are so rare.

Don't get your hackles up. I was commenting on the effect the photo would have in those places where catch-and-release bass fishing is a religion. Some of those people would stroke out.
Posted By: NathanL Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
Both Texas Parks and Wildlife and Lousiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries have tried to get people to actually take bass home iwth them in the past to have the harvest spread out over a wider age range. I would say probably 95% or more bass caught on T-Bend are catch and release.

In areas where it's a problem or they want to manage entirely for trophy fish they can institute a slot. The drawback to a slot is you cut off the top tier of tournaments that don't fish slot lakes and those are a huge money maker.
good catch anyway...better hope some native tribe that "use to" fish with dine-o-mite ...don't come along and toss u boys off the lake and get "there own season"........
We didn't keep any of the bigger females. No offense to you NE, but I'm not too terribly worried about any bass tournament fisherman, don't care.
Hey Kentucky, no problem, and no hackle problem here. I just find it entertaining when people comment and whine about something they are totally clueless about. Toledo Bend ain't some freakin' farm pond. It's like 80 miles long and 180,000 acres of bass fishing paradise. You can't even get to 75% of the fish on that lake......too much cover, salvinia (sp?) etc. Like I said, been catching them like that there for 40 years. I think my local buddies understand the program pretty well by now.

I figured guys around here would enjoy a pretty cool picture of some spring time fun. I'm quite surprised at the bawlin' and squawlin' going on here.
Posted By: T LEE Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
Whoa, that is a mess of fish!

Don't get your hackles up. I was commenting on the effect the photo would have in those places where catch-and-release bass fishing is a religion. Some of those people would stroke out.

I do Sunday morning sunrise service at lakes all the time and the photo does not bother me, I do know people that it would bother. In Texas those fish have realtively fast growth rates and can withstand harvest pressures better than they do up north where the growth rates are much slower. Your average 16" LMB in Nebraska is four years old, I am guessing at Toledo Bend it is closer to half that due to the longer growing season.

Largemouth do taste a lot like crappie. grin
Yeah, but it would be entertaining to walk around the crowd with a hidden camera at, say, the U.S. Open, and show that photo off. That would be You Tube worthy...
Posted By: Hoyt Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
Back before bass tournaments when there use to be a lot of big bass. 10 & 12 lber's was no big deal.
Posted By: tzone Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
Nice!

But....you guys eat those?

Y'all have to come north for a bluegill/crappie or a walleye fish fry. You'll never keep another bass. grin

All joking aside, hell of a couple days fishin there.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
NIce catch. Seems to me that fish are there for eatin' not winning contests! Enjoy them.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13

I don't care for the taste of bass, but I would keep those too. T-Bend is not a typical bass lake. Any legal fish caught, spawn or not, less that 5-6lbs needs to be fileted.
Posted By: 1B Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
I used to do that too, decades ago. Then I saw picts of a post tournament at Toledo Bend with dumpsters full of dead fish boling in the sun supposedly on their way to the poor.

I haven't deliberately killed a bass in ten years or so and I now return them to the beds. I never swung them onto the boat floor and then over the side while culling the "livewell" either.

BASS competitive fishing mentality has changed bass fishing to what lawyering is to justice. Add $ to the 'sport' and watch it go sour.

1B
Tournaments (on T-Bend and Rayburn) require that fish be released alive. Dead fish are penalized heavily.
Posted By: RickBin Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
Don't worry, Johnny. I am here to help!

[Linked Image]

smile
I bet you turned the big ones back though. smile
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
+1

+1

knock yourself out if you like, but I'd enjoy the fishing and trim the keep down a bit. To each his own.

Nice take, but nothing big there. Me and my 4 and 6 year olds have had weekends like that. We throw them back and eat one or 2.

Great fun though.
[quote=atvalaska]...and will enjoy them over the next 3-4 months. ..

Makes more sense now.

Like politics, it's all local... there ARE places -- especially smaller lakes that get heavy tournament pressure -- where the catch-and-release ethic rules, and they'd happily hang people for killing largemouths. Obviously not the case there, but I know some people who would have a coronary merely by looking at that photo!

+1

True, that is a good point. It really is a local thing, specific to the lake you are fishing.

Posted By: shootem Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13
We didn't keep any of the bigger females. No offense to you NE, but I'm not too terribly worried about any bass tournament fisherman, don't care.

Always thought it odd the mindset that it's OK to punch holes in a fish just so you can bang him around in a live well for a while, half anesthetize them to keep them from floppin around on the scale, then "set them FREEeeeeeeeee". Free to go back to the bottom and heal up, then do it all over when the next Bass Star Wannnabe comes along in a $50,000 boat he can't afford but really needs so he can tourny fish. I've caught the released fish before with half a jaw gone, an eye out, or maybe just the lip skin ripped. Hell-of-a-gentle sport, Sport.

Fish are made to eat not play with. If you want to play with something cut a hole in your pants pocket or take up golf. When I release a bass, it's just before my fingers touch the hot grease. And with no apologies. I couldn't possibly care less if that 4 pounder I ate kept Bubba from placing in the local Krispy Kreme Friday Night Bass Tournament.
T-Bend is not one of the premier bass lakes in the world because it's managed poorly. The size and bag limits are there for a reason. There are never enough bass kept from the lake, but we like to let the big ones survive. Sound familiar?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/20/13

How so?

+1

Toledo Bend has been like that as long as I can remember and I am 62
Posted By: Sako Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Man there a local of "arm chair Quarterbacks" on the board.... I love to eat bass... I would have done the dame thing.... Good for the catchers, I wish I could have joined you....

the rest of you, remember what your mama use to say... if you do not have anything positive to say, keep your mouth shut. Let the professionals manage the lake (game management)... not the so called Weekend warrior bass fisherman
Posted By: JGRaider Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Originally Posted by RickBin
Don't worry, Johnny. I am here to help!

[Linked Image]

smile

That's awesome RickB!!!! I've got your back, too. smile Well done buddy! I don't have the heart to tell some of these numbskulls that the vast majority of those fish pictured are 2-4lb male fish.........and I won't bother posting a pic of day #2 with 30 bass and 40'ish white perch.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Nice catch. Bass are good eatin too!
Posted By: RickBin Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Well local conditions apply. That's Mexico. smile. And I didn't shoot all those birds myself. And every one was eaten, fresh, not frozen. smile

They are NOT running out of them, I can promise you.

I don't suspect you'll be running out of largemouth anytime soon, either. You gotta stop shootin' all the dinks though. :0
Posted By: PS1080 Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
The only thing wrong with the fish picture is, I'm not in it. The only thing wrong with the pheasant picture is, me and my dogs aren't in it. Also, some of the fish should be saved for a deer camp fish fry. Especially since I would be in driving distance. I would share in the shame and help destroy evidence.
Posted By: NathanL Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
They have reduced the limit a good bit over the years and upped the minimum length. Back in the 60's and 70's you literally could catch a boat load of fish and keep them and lots of people did, the lake was still relatively young and booming. I'm many of you have seen the old pics in the marinas around Rayburn and T-Bend of 100+ bass stringers day after day.

You do catch bigger fish with more regularity now than you did 30-45 years ago.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13

Not hardly. I don't apologize for it either. We were more than legal, cleaned and ate/will eat every single one of them, brought a bunch back to the desert with me, and will enjoy them over the next 3-4 months. Some of you folks need to lighten up a bit.

I don't get a great thrill playing with fish. I do like to catch fish; and I DO like to eat fish.

I'll always be of the mind that people who play with fish are somewhat elitist, and many don't like eating them. To each their own. Just don't make my favorite fishing holes for the last 55 years catch-&-release, so you can come and play with fish. smirk
Posted By: eyeball Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
I'm glad to see some are as me. Those spring caught, cold weather bass wil taste great.

I bought a launch ticket at OH Ivie a few years ago and asked the lady what the limit was and she was aghast as she asked me if I really kept any bass.

I fish with a friend who eats some also, and I guess he fishes with me because of the fear of fishing with some of his other friends and their animosity toward anyone who would keep a bass.

Once many years ago on Fayette lake out of LaGrange I put the blade to an eight pounder on the boat ramp one night as I was talking to a member of the Austin bass club, who was there for a tournament. I was camping there that weekend and wanted fresh fish. His voice quavered as he said he had never caught a fish that big and I looked up to see a few tears rolling down each cheek. Freaking unreal, but now I turn the big ones back. The meat is too grainy anyway.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Originally Posted by NathanL
They have reduced the limit a good bit over the years and upped the minimum length. Back in the 60's and 70's you literally could catch a boat load of fish and keep them and lots of people did, the lake was still relatively young and booming. I'm many of you have seen the old pics in the marinas around Rayburn and T-Bend of 100+ bass stringers day after day.

You do catch bigger fish with more regularity now than you did 30-45 years ago.

Back in the day, 100+ fish was the norm, this time of year on Toledo Bend. My FIL has two pics taken the same day. One taken at lunch, a 6' stringer of bass that he cant hold up, caught by himself that morning. The other pic is a duplicate caught that afternoon. Another 6' stringer!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
sailfish is pretty good eating.
Posted By: eyeball Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Roger. When are we going, Roger? grin
Originally Posted by stxhunter
sailfish is pretty good eating.

They sure are........my son's shown here !

[Linked Image <br><br>Relax fellas, no more whining......we let 'em all go.  
								</div>
	</div>
	<div class=
Posted By: bruinruin Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13

I figured guys around here would enjoy a pretty cool picture of some spring time fun. I'm quite surprised at the bawlin' and squawlin' going on here.

You think this is bad? Try posting a pic of a plump spike or forkhorn on some of the sites ruled by QDMA proponents. Those folks are off their rocker fanatical about what they think you should be allowed to do on your own land.
Posted By: bea175 Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
How much Dynamite did you use?
Posted By: Eremicus Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Holly Smoke ! Is there anything you and your friends don't do well ? Very impressive, and thoughtfully done. Odviously the place isn't over fished. E
Posted By: M1894 Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
[Linked Image]
Posted By: stripe55 Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
serious question for you and others that keep bass, do you use the livewell or do you put them right on ice? I do a fair amount of walleye fishing in the U.P., own a little chunk of dirt on a decent lake... we catch quite a few pike while walleye fishing, if put in livewell/stringer, they get soft and fishy tasteing quite quickly in all but the coldest water. We always keep the cooler full of ice, and those pike that go straight to ice are just as good if not better than the walleyes when we eat them.
Just wondering if you southern boys were doing the same
Like you, we keep an igloo full of ice and chunk 'em right in there. We fish out of welded aluminum, flat bottom johnboats, about 16'long x 55" wide with 25 horse Yamahas that are bulletproof. The flats that we fish are a mass of laydowns, stumps, etc, some you see and some you don't. You can't even get to most of the fish because of it, and a full size bass boat doesn't have a chance in spots like this.
Posted By: mule1 Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Cool! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: GregW Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Good on you JG -

The naysayers are funny trying to educate you on fishing ethics.

Posted By: stripe55 Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Cool, sounds like the Dixie version of my U.P. lake. The road to our landing sends most of the "sparkly" boats heading back to where they came from.
One other question, do you scale em or skin em? For us it s totally a matter of time available, and amount of fish. When we know that big numbers are a real possibility, we use our drum scalers. The skin on our species, to me, really adds to the quality of taste to the fillets.
Posted By: Idared Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Many Thanks for posting that picture. I'm not a big fan of eating bass, but do partake in a few meals a year. wink Catching them is another story indeed. smile

Serious question. Do you release small ones, I'm assuming you do, and if so what is the smallest you do keep?
Idared, we release all fish 14" or less, and all big females over 5lbs or so. Every once in a while, when fileting out the fish, one of the 5+lb fish will be a spawned out female, but it is rare for us to make that mistake.

Stripe, we use an electric knife to filet each side of the fish, leaving no skin. After we cut out the rib cage we're left with a beautiful and quite tasty, boneless filet of fish. We love to fry 'em up in a spicy corn meal crust. My coonass buds are also quite proficient at seasoning, baking, and smothering with a crabmeat sauce or etouffee. I hate when that happens......
Posted By: M7300SAUM Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
To each his own but I have eaten those grass carp in the past visiting friends in Texas and thought they tasted terrible. Fun to catch and that's it for me. Pretty sad to live somewhere where largemouth bass are considered edible. Maybe all that Mexican food in Texas has burned your taste buds off. grin
Posted By: reelman Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Pictures like that make me sick!
Posted By: Idared Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Idared, we release all fish 14" or less, and all big females over 5lbs or so. Every once in a while, when fileting out the fish, one of the 5+lb fish will be a spawned out female, but it is rare for us to make that mistake.

My hat is off to you folks. I've seen a lot of LMB under 14 inches caught that weren't released, even some by folks who considered themselves avid bass fisherman.
Posted By: tzone Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Originally Posted by bruinruin

You think this is bad? Try posting a pic of a plump spike or forkhorn on some of the sites ruled by QDMA proponents. Those folks are off their rocker fanatical about what they think you should be allowed to do on your own land.

I think I would do that just to hear the whinning. grin
Posted By: tzone Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Then quit lookin
Posted By: bruinruin Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Just come on over to the Michigan Sportsman's forum. You'll get your fill PDQ. Especially since the state is on the verge of mandating antler point restrictions in 12 counties that have never had them before.
Originally Posted by M7300SAUM
To each his own but I have eaten those grass carp in the past visiting friends in Texas and thought they tasted terrible. Fun to catch and that's it for me. Pretty sad to live somewhere where largemouth bass are considered edible. Maybe all that Mexican food in Texas has burned your taste buds off. grin

Your friends obviously don't know what they're doing. It ain't sad living where I live I assure you, so you can quit feeling sorry for me.

reelman......don't be a puzzzy.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
Personally, I'm a catch and release guy, but others should do as they please far as I'm concerned. To the person who suggested that those "Bass Master" tournament guys would have a problem with that, I'd tell any and all of those douchebags to take a hike.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13

If you don't like Bass then there is something wrong with you
Posted By: shootinurse Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/21/13
According to Pat Mcmanus, "All you can catch plus one". wink
Posted By: gunchamp Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/22/13
Originally Posted by jwp475

very true. We stick a bunch of butter in some foil and put it over a grill. Pretty damn good IMO!
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/22/13
I havent read the whole thread, but ... from what I see in the pic, most if not all of the bass are males...

What part of the lake were you fishing? I've spent many a day, on the lake, around Zwolle, Grapevine, Chicken Coop, and Circle Drive. They are all north of the bridge.
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/22/13
Originally Posted by jwp475

Nope, it just means you've had a lot of fish that was a lot better tasting, is all.

That said, my wife is crazy for Largemouth, as are darn near all Chinese here in the US. So I kill a couple for her every winter/spring. Steam them up, hit them with a little ginger oil, green onions and soy sauce, and they aren't half bad. But nothing like Yelloweye, Cabezon, Black Rockfish, Blue rockfish, China Rockfish, Halibut (both Pacific and California) Grey Cod, Albacore, Lingcod, Mahi, etc...

Oh JGRaider, for bass, that's a nice eatin sized catch by the way.

And I'm certainly not a PETAphile:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JGRaider Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/22/13
Oldman, you're right, mostly male fish, something the know-it-all's around here are obviously clueless about. We fished between Circle Drive and Logansport in the sloughs and coves, 3-4 ft max depth.

Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Nope, it just means you've had a lot of fish that was a lot better tasting, is all.

But nothing like Yelloweye, Cabezon, Black Rockfish, Blue rockfish, China Rockfish, Halibut (both Pacific and California) Grey Cod, Albacore, Lingcod, Mahi, etc...

I have no clue what those fish are, but I know they don't come from anywhere within 800 miles of here. Most people who don't like the tast of bass haven't the foggiest idea how to cook them. After my coonass buddies get through cooking them you'd be running back for more I assure you. Never heard of steaming one before though.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/22/13
Oldman, you're right, mostly male fish, something the know-it-all's around here are obviously clueless about. We fished between Circle Drive and Logansport in the sloughs and coves, 3-4 ft max depth.

Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

But nothing like Yelloweye, Cabezon, Black Rockfish, Blue rockfish, China Rockfish, Halibut (both Pacific and California) Grey Cod, Albacore, Lingcod, Mahi, etc...

I have no clue what those fish are, but I know they don't come from anywhere within 800 miles of here. Most people who don't like the tast of bass haven't the foggiest idea how to cook them. After my coonass buddies get through cooking them you'd be running back for more I assure you. Never heard of steaming one before though.

JGR-- they steam those funny looking fish to kill the taste... its either that or after you eat them, to kill the taste you have to lick you azz... frown

(just kiddin, I dont know what they are either)

'Fishing the brush'- that's what we use to call fishing above Circle Drive. You said you were fishing sloughs and coves, come back in about a month and run a buzz bait around the brush. Cross your eyes and it aint for people with a bad heart!!! wink grin
Posted By: rost495 Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/22/13

Good job! T Bend is larger than a 3 acre pond to for those that might wonder.....

We fish the coast in the spring. Take limits of reds home each time. Fish 2-3 times for the whole year. Doesn't bother me to take full limits back... I wouldn't do it if I fished every other weekend obviously...
Posted By: Sand_Man Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/22/13
please god go post this on The Texas Fishing Forum. Those boys over there will more than get bent out of shape. grin grin grin
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/23/13
Originally Posted by Sand_Man
please god go post this on The Texas Fishing Forum. Those boys over there will more than get bent out of shape. grin grin grin

Yeah, the Tx. Fisheries Dept (whatever they call it) take a different view of fishing than we do here in La.

In Tx. they claim the people want to catch more quality fish, thus the small limits and bigger minimums (size of legal fish).

In La. they claim the people want to catch more fish, thus the bigger limits and smaller or no minimums.

Posted By: eyeball Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/23/13
Cornmeal fried spring (cool water bass with a sprinkle of hot sauce) are as good as white bass or catfish and almost as good as crappie or speckled trout and better than redfish, if the cook knows what he is doing.
Posted By: M7300SAUM Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/23/13
Originally Posted by eyeball
Cornmeal fried spring (cool water bass with a sprinkle of hot sauce) are as good as white bass or catfish and almost as good as crappie or speckled trout and better than redfish, if the cook knows what he is doing.
Well I'm willing to try your way of cooking bass. We have a lake here that is thick with small bass that they encourage fisherman to take. So exactly how do you cook them? Is it a dry cornmeal coating or a wet cornmeal mixture? Is the hot sauce put directly on the fish or is it in a wet cornmeal mixture? Do you pan fry the entire fillet or cut it in smaller pieces and deep fry it? Thanks for the enlightenment.
Please do yourself a favor and sprinkle the meat with a little lemon and hot sauce, roll the damp filets in cornmeal and fry in canola oil. Salt and pepper to taste.

Also, you can broil or grill the filets (white bass too) with lemon and butter and it will remind you of broiled flounder, which is better than any halibut I've ever eaten.

On small filets I fry them whole and larger ones I section.
For a change of pace, you can slice the filets into shrimp sized prices and drop in La. Crab/ Shrimp boil. This is, by the way, a great way to give those tender, tasteless walley filets some flavor, without having to fry them in Cisco or lard.
Posted By: BLG Re: PETA is PO'ed at Me - 03/23/13

I never put fish in a live well if I am going to keep them. Straight on ice will prevent them from getting "fishy" or mushy. Might be the reason for your dislike. Also all of my fish are fried in Louisiana fish fry "New Orleans" blend. It's as fine as flour. I personally don't like regular cornmeal. The Louisiana Fish Fry is perfectly seasoned. It's all I use. Zatarans sucks. I mostly fish specks and reds but do love me some bass. They have that little bit of sweetness to them.

Clyde
© 24hourcampfire