Home
I need a new pair of Danner Sharptail Covey GTX snake boots badly! If you have a pair in 12 or 13s to let go of please let me know.

I actually bumped into this guy, Mr. Canebreak , yesterday turkey hunting. I am 6'4" for reference.

[Linked Image]

Thanks.

Nice belt ( or two! ). eek
Damn a Snake!

Strick9,

I have a pair of the Sharptail Covey GTX boots and like them pretty well. Unfortunately I don't know where you could find a pair unless you just luck into a left over pair somewhere. You might call Danner as they have an outlet store that could have a left over pair.

If you are set Danner's, they appear to have brought back the Pronghorn GTX lace-ups which they discontinued for a couple of years. I have a pair of those and like them as well as my Covey GTX's.

A lot of folks down here like the Chippewa's and they make a moccasin toe similar to the Danner's you were wearing. Snakeboots.com has a pretty good selection. http://www.snakeboots.com/
Did you barbecue it?
Phuc! I'd be running so phucin fast away from that damn thing...

You stood there and held it? for a pic?

U crazy dude...............

Damnn David you're nutz! Never saw one quite that big in low country. See any birds or are the yotes making their way with nature again this season?

Nothing in Sumter Forest. Heard but not seen. Controlled fires aren't helping either. Especially, around Molly's Rock.

BTW someone had some nice snake chaps in the classifieds.

Hope all is well.

David
I'd be thinking about taking up golf...............
I'm crossing off SC as a turkey hunting destination!
I see one huge problem in that pic.

The snake still has it's head attached. eek

Was that thing alive when the pic was snapped?

If so, are you crazy?
[bleep] thats a big ole snake
someone here collects snake skins for making bows IIRC
I bump into one or two a year that size in the swamps around here, it always pains me to kill them but there is no way I could live with the guilt associated if a youth or a friend along with me got hit by one that size or any other venomous snake that I let live.

BYC, yea the birds are starting to holler good but yes the yotes are terrible on the Turkeys. We had little luck on killn the yotes this year as the woods are so thick they are in and out to the call before ya know they were even there.

I wouldn't say this rattler was dead in the pic but he was numbed down abit by my glassy stare.
The business end of the game

[Linked Image]
I won't sleep a friggin wink tonight on account of that picture.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Phuc! I'd be running so phucin fast away from that damn thing...

Isn't that the truth. I bish about winter being long, but at least it gives me a period of time when I don't have to worry about snakes. Especially ones like the one in the OP. I see something like that and it'll automatically be turned into 2 snakes of roughly half that size, each with a ragged section at one end.

I hope that sucker is hibernating for good. The only good rattler is a dead rattler.
Originally Posted by Strick9
The business end of the game
[Linked Image]

Glad it turned out GOOD for you,

and not that double-barreled venom injector! smirk

Have fun buying your new Danner boots, and bagging a long-beard or two.
I HATE rattlesnakes. Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em.

Yes, I'm a hater.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I won't sleep a friggin wink tonight on account of that picture.

No schit.....the man has balls of steel IMHO!

You can find the nastiest alley, put two of the nastiest dudes you can think of at the end of it and I'll go in without my gear before I'd be picking that [bleep] up. I'd "fan shoot" my shotgun until it clicked at it as I backed away, though.

George
Originally Posted by eh76

That would be me. If you want to skin them Strick9 I'd be real interested to see if we could work out a price. Canebreaks and copperheads are my 2 favorites (once they are skinned anyway)
I gave up one hell of a cuthroat trout hole once I realized it is den location - I hate snakes.
You could easily split this skin in two and more than cover two long bow or recurve limbs. My son wants this one though.
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by eh76

That would be me. If you want to skin them Strick9 I'd be real interested to see if we could work out a price. Canebreaks and copperheads are my 2 favorites (once they are skinned anyway)

and what ever he turns down i would prolly be interested in grin

you need to do some more grips, ild buy another 1911 set just like i bought from you before out of a nice copperhead....
9 1/2' Wenaha snake sent to me this morning by a buddy. 5" head, 3" fangs, 22 rattles.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Fireball2
9 1/2' Wenaha snake sent to me this morning by a buddy. 5" head, 3" fangs, 22 rattles.

[Linked Image]

That's the stuff my nightmares are made of. eek
that looks like someones "pet" that died......generally they dont have big rattles like that in the wild cause they break off.....round here i cant remember the last i saw with more than 8 rattles....
That's a whopper. This Diamondback crawled up from behind me out of those dark shadows. I was turkey hunting sitting down leaning against that pine where my turkey vest in. I looked over to my right and he was about 6" from my leg stretch out parallel with it and his big ole head was up about with my knee and his tongue flicking out.

Don't know how it was humanly possible, but I somehow, with my legs stretched out in front of me, managed to jump up, to the left and all the way around behind that pine..all in an instasecond.

[Linked Image]
Ok,
I am now officially done with turkey hunting.
Whoa.
I was bear hunting in the Chiricuahuas one year and stopped to take a break. I took my pack off and leaned up against a rock to drink some water. When I grabbed my pack to go again, i had a handful of snake along with the shoulder strap! Luckily it was a twin-spot and they are pretty mellow! I must have thrown that sucker about 40 yards after I let go of the pack! I have stepped on a lot of black rattlesnakes, the predominant specie in Central Arizona highlands. So far, no bites!
I didn't worry much about snakes in the area I hunted after the hogs moved in.
Now I'm hunting in an area with no hogs, I'll be watching the ground a whole lot more.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

[Linked Image]
I thought we had seen that pic before and many called BS on its size. However, about 45 years ago the man who is married to my cousin and always took me hunting in the Nueces river and Piney Creek bottoms in east Texas was making a round in the loblolly pine sand hills with his deer hound (Nancy) one afternoon while I was on stand. He came by to pick me up and was visibly shaken. He was following the dog down a narrow dry branch about 4-5 feet deep looking for the sign of crossing deer when she started acting strange. He hissed her on but she refused and he started looking and saw a huge timber rattler coiled under a youpon on the bank. He busted it with his double barrel savage and no.1 buck. This guy had dealt with plenty of big snakes fishing the swamps, rivers wading and seining sloughs and bar ditches in the bottoms. The size of this snake had him puking and he had to force himself to go back and cut off the 22 rattlers and a button. He wouldn't even talk to me about how big that snake was until many years later he said he figured it was about 9 ft long.

Those rattlers stretched a good inch and a half longer than my middle finger and I was about 17 at the time and sif ft. Tall best I can remember.
any rattlesnake over 6 foot looks huge cause they are such fat snakes and when your used to looking at garter and bull/pine/gopher/rat/king/milk snakes they really look bigger than they are....most people are real chitty at judging the length of a snake, even after years of keeping and catching them im only so-so at it and need a photo with lots of clues to do it if i dont actually have my hands on the snake and even then unless i tape it, its hard to be sure....had a ball python i swore was 5 foot till i actually taped her and found out she was closer to 4, she rarely stretched out and was hard to guesstimate....
When working the Quintana oil fields on the OConner ranch years ago (300-400 thousand acres between Refugio and Victoria) years ago (summer job in high school running a vacumn truck 80 hours/wk) I killed several that measured 5ft to 5'8" by tape measure.
rare for the prairie rattlers we have up here to get over 4 foot....our bull snakes can be some big SOB's though, have caught a few measured near 7 foot and saw one im sure was close to 8 but it escaped.....
Check out the made in USA Justin Dune Traction snake boot
This is one that I caught last year, his head wasn't glued on tight enough unfortunately. But he did sport an amazing tail bead array.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But these buttons have it beat.

http://www.scducks.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=518&pictureid=6859
wonder why in the hell the rattles get so long over there.....i never find long ones, never found one more than 10, infact ive found a large number with just 2 or 3.....wonder if its all the low growing shrub rose and cactus we have around here catching them and pulling them off....
This is the last snake thread I open. Even if I do know you.

I may not even go back to Charleston. Ever!
© 24hourcampfire