Home

We've gone from 3 months with no rain last year, to normal if not too much rain this spring. In fact if we have had normal rain last fall and snow this winter we would be flooding right now, so flooding isn't a problem at he moment.

Either way there should be plenty of vegetation / cover for birds this spring which means a good hatch.
Now, if the spring hatch period doesn't bring 100 plus temps for weeks on end.
But prospects are better than last year.
Yes there is plenty that can still go wrong, massive hail storm is probably some of the worse outside of shifting back to drought and heat.

I sure hope Western KS is getting as much rain as Kansas City is, but I know it's not getting as much.
Heavy rain after the hatch can drown them.
We have some great friends in Dodge City with whom we have hunted with since I was just a young boy.

They are thinking with the recent cold weather their wheat may have suffered considerable damage...If it's not one thing it's another!
Parts of Kansas have received moisture. Other parts like far SW are still in trouble.
I think most of the wheat in KS will be alright as far as freeze damage because most of the wheat wasn't far enough along to be badly damaged by freeze. But as has been said, a long ways to go before a guy can start counting hatching pheasant and quail chicks.
I have a good friend in Colby. He is a seed corn salesman and this is the slowest be has been in 15 years! They have gotten a few good snow storms and a little rain, but he says they are still way behind on moisture. The farmers are very concerned about this summer and aren't ready to shell out $300 for a bag of seed. He claims they will plant eventually but so far it has been a horrible year!

Elk Country

Spotshooter:

You must live in central or eastern Kansas.

I have a friend who farms in eastern Colorado almost at the Kansas border. He says that there is very little moisture in the soil. His winter wheat crop is dead and the outlook for summer crops is pretty discouraging.

Colorado is typically not a great place to hunt pheasants and this year looks worse than usual.

Hey, how about hosting a 24hourcampfire Kanasas pheasant hunt?

KC

I envy you. We used to have pheasants here in Iowa.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I envy you. We used to have pheasants here in Iowa.

We still do if you look in the right places. Right outside my front door is one such place at the moment.
© 24hourcampfire