Home
without glasses my wife is legally blind, her vision is something like 20/3000.....were we to ever have a fire in the house and she didnt have her contacts in and couldnt find her glasses its unlikely she could get out and if she did it would be with extreme difficulty.....she finally decided to try to do something to fix it....

eye doc she visited said she was not a good candidate for Lasik or PRK....he is most comfortable doing that for a +6 change, Darla would need a +11....for her it would require moving so much material that a "blow out" would be increasingly possible like when you get a bubble in the sidewall of a tire after which the only fix is replacing the whole front of the eyeball in a cornea transplant.....plus with that much material removed it would take upards of a year and a half for her eyes to fully heal and quit changing which means she would also likely face up to 18 months of her vision setting off migraines....

solution was doing a lens exchange, basically the exact same surgery you get when you have cataracts.....10 minute procedure and only real down side is at her age she is going to need reading glasses about 5 years earlier than most people....

she had the right eye done today and next week we come back for the left eye.....plus unlike Lasik with the large correction she would need, by Monday she should be seeing out of the eye just fine with near perfect vision....
Prayers for her and you. Her for healing and good vision.

You for trying to keep up with her when she gets perfect vision. grin

Ed
You betcha she has 'em!!!!! The downside is that she will finally know what you REALLY look like!!
I was thinking the same thing. grin

Good luck to the wife.
prayers sent from here, hoping all goes well smile
Prayers for Darla on the way...
Fingers crossed here!
Prayers from here, also.

Mark

Prayers you got, my friend.

Karen just had her last lens replacement a few months ago. Darla will see better through the tea-strainer protective gear she'll go home with than she's ever seen.

Tell her to be perfect about all the potions and drops that they want her to use. That is the key to perfect healing.

She'll worry about the first one and it will be so easy that she won't be able wait until the second one is done.

Blessings,

Steve

Done
Sister had same surgery and she is doing great and can see fine now without glasses.
Done my friend.
Very best wishes here!
Prayers are on ther way my freind!

Prayers offered for Darla and you.
On the way

GTC
Modern medicine is getting better all the time---one of the great things we have witnessed in our lives.
Hope your wife has a painless recovery and all works out better than you hoped.
Prayers for her as she heals, and prayers for you after she heals and sees you!!! smile
you got em rattler

hoping it improves her quality of life dramatically
Rattler: The lens transplants are great. I know someone who had this done and their vision is super although they still need reading glasses. One interesting thing is when the light hits their eyes just right, you will see a twinkle in their eyes. Our family will keep your wife in our prayers and enjoy the new lease on life. Also thanks for all your help. - tnscouter
Prayers sent for your wife...

Cause she's gonna need them, when she can see you.

Sister had that surgery and everythings great!
Had the lenses in my eyes replaced years ago. Nothing like as drastic as your wife's case but did wonders for me. Hope she does as well or better than I did.
Originally Posted by Oldman2003
Prayers sent for your wife...

Cause she's gonna need them, when she can see you.

Sister had that surgery and everythings great!

that bout sums it up grin . Prayers for you both.

norm
Prayers from WV
prayers sent from Michigan!
Prayers sent for a thorough complete and good outcome. Godspeed.
The Eye Docs push that lens out here in DFW for 40 year olds quite a bit.
Expensive if no insurance coverage is in effect.

Best of luck to your wife. 20/20 or 20/15. Your in trouble.

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
You betcha she has 'em!!!!! The downside is that she will finally know what you REALLY look like!!

This! smile
Done mate, hope it goes well.
It'll be harder to hide your new toys once her vision is better though. grin
Originally Posted by Wtxj

no insurance coverage but in the scheme of things not bad.....cost twice what Lasik does, but when your vision is as bad as hers a pair of glasses costs $1000 and her contacts aint cheap either.....not gonna take long before we are money ahead....

Sounds like good progress is bein' made.. We'll all wish for the best!!
Prayers for her and you sent.

Prayers for both of you and for a helping hand from above for the doctors doing work. Wishing your wife a super fast recovery and a great life of seeing well.
Originally Posted by rattler

no insurance coverage but in the scheme of things not bad.....cost twice what Lasik does, but when your vision is as bad as hers a pair of glasses costs $1000 and her contacts aint cheap either.....not gonna take long before we are money ahead....

$1,000 for glasses, wow. My contacts are about $800 year at current prices. Last years supply I was at 20/15. Made me happy.
Best of luck to your wife on her vision. Important part of her life will be made better.
Prayers from here as well. Hope all turns out well!
without glasses my wife is legally blind, her vision is something like 20/3000.....were we to ever have a fire in the house and she didnt have her contacts in and couldnt find her glasses its unlikely she could get out and if she did it would be with extreme difficulty.....she finally decided to try to do something to fix it....

eye doc she visited said she was not a good candidate for Lasik or PRK....he is most comfortable doing that for a +6 change, Darla would need a +11....for her it would require moving so much material that a "blow out" would be increasingly possible like when you get a bubble in the sidewall of a tire after which the only fix is replacing the whole front of the eyeball in a cornea transplant.....plus with that much material removed it would take upards of a year and a half for her eyes to fully heal and quit changing which means she would also likely face up to 18 months of her vision setting off migraines....

solution was doing a lens exchange, basically the exact same surgery you get when you have cataracts.....10 minute procedure and only real down side is at her age she is going to need reading glasses about 5 years earlier than most people....

she had the right eye done today and next week we come back for the left eye.....plus unlike Lasik with the large correction she would need, by Monday she should be seeing out of the eye just fine with near perfect vision....

Exciting times ahead Sheridan. She'll finally get to see what an ugly lunk she married! grin

I'm happy for her prognosis, my friend. Prayers for a quick painless recovery!
Thoughts and prayers from Iowa.
Sheridan:

She should do very well with this. I wouldn't worry too much.

- Tom
well she went into surgery yesterday with 20/3000 vision in her right eye, after lens replacement she is at 20/15......just a slight improvement crazy
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Prayers for her and you. Her for healing and good vision.

You for trying to keep up with her when she gets perfect vision. grin

Ed

This !
That is good news. Keep us updated how she heals up. I think these surgeries are pretty routine now as they are what typical cataract surgeries are but now utilized for people like your wife. I found out that I couldn't have lasik because of the risk as well. My eyesight isn't as bad as your wifes but it would still be nice not to have to throw on glasses or my contacts right when I get up etc. I am anxious to here how it works out for your wife. I don't remeber if you said earlier in the thread but where did she get this done?

I assume Billings?
All the best for the both of you!
nope in Great Falls at Pacific Cataract and Laser Institute....
Prayers on the way.

$1,000 for glasses, wow. My contacts are about $800 year at current prices. Last years supply I was at 20/15. Made me happy.
Best of luck to your wife on her vision. Important part of her life will be made better.

yeah she pays alot, i spend maybe $300 a year on contacts, lucky that both my eyes are the same prescription and sorta lucky that i cant sleep in mine and have to take them out every night so a set lasts a long time....even the 1 month ones can lst me up to 3 months before i have to swap them out.....usually loose one before i hit 3 months but 2 months for one isnt unusual....
You're both in mine.
that's really cool, I used to wear glasses and my eye sight corrected itself as I got older. I don't think I could do the glasses thing again it's good to know there are other options
Best Wishes for her completely new look on life.

MM
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

HAHAHA.........God bless your Wife Rattler.

Gunner

yeah she pays alot, i spend maybe $300 a year on contacts, lucky that both my eyes are the same prescription and sorta lucky that i cant sleep in mine and have to take them out every night so a set lasts a long time....even the 1 month ones can lst me up to 3 months before i have to swap them out.....usually loose one before i hit 3 months but 2 months for one isnt unusual....

I started with the old style hard contacts, then on to gas permeable, then to the soft.
I just put em in, leave em for about 30 days, and pull them out and put a new pair in.
My kids are grown and gone, so have a little more free twice taxed money.
I had surgery for cataracts both eyes 18 years ago, I just had my eyes checked by an eye doctor last week in conjunction with managing my type to diabetes. No problems and 20/20 vision, I'm 58 I don't even need reading glasses. The eye is an easy thing to fix as my doctor told me when he did the surgery. Out side of dry eye I had no problems at all. The thing is that your wife's depth perception is going to be off a little bit till the other eye gets done, being able to see is a great thing, and to see 20/15 as a pilot I would love that !
i cant do that, years of horrible allergies seemed to have [bleep] with my tear ducts and the like and if i try to sleep in my contacts i wake up in the early morning feeling like ive got sand in my eyes...even the extended wear ones i cant sleep in...
Rattler best of luck with the wifey eyes....... And prayers for 100% sight.....

Just make sure when her eyes open that you are a good mile back then walk toward her slowly...... From the pics I've seen of ya, probably be the best way not to scare the bejeezus out of her.... wink smile
i cant do that, years of horrible allergies seemed to have [bleep] with my tear ducts and the like and if i try to sleep in my contacts i wake up in the early morning feeling like ive got sand in my eyes...even the extended wear ones i cant sleep in...

I get the old dry eye also. I keep a small bottle of the proper eye drops next to my bed. One drop when I go to bed in each eye, same in the morning. Without the drops I couldn't wear them sleeping.

Wish your better half the best of luck on her vision quest.
She has em. 20/20 for Darla.
Great news!

Keep us posted.
Done here, and praying for the best
Prayers for both of you! God bless!

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
Thinking of you both!!!! Hope all works out!!!!!
On the way, from SE Az

GTC
© 24hourcampfire