Home
If you had to pick the five top factory HUNTING rifles made TODAY, how would you rank them -- and why? That's the sole criteria for this little poll. Otherwise, it's wide open. Let's hear 'em...
742 Remington is No. 1 because it is so reliable. grin grin that should get it going..
Sako.
Kimber 84L or 84M Montana.
Forbes rifle.

The rest I can think of need some modification.
Marlin lever guns. Because I really like them. smile
Sako 75 finnlight IN .300 WM for carrying

Remington Sendero .300 WM for box blind on hay fields

LMT MWS 7.62 for hogs and poachers

Ruger M77 mark2 in .243 for varmints

TC encore muzzleloader.
"Best" is relative to how and what you hunt.
CZ
Nosler custom.
Savage #1,- 2 New England arms,3- Ruger,4- Weatherby 5-Marlin for guns made today742 isn't made today
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
"Best" is relative to how and what you hunt.

Of course. And that's the challenge -- list top five based only the given criteria.
Originally Posted by krupp
CZ

CZ what? Be specific, please. There are rules to this game.
Originally Posted by savage62
Savage #1,- 2 New England arms,3- Ruger,4- Weatherby 5-Marlin for guns made today742 isn't made today

Those are brands. Which specific models?
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Sako.

Which Sako?
Holland & Holland Double Rifles

Purdey Double Rifles

Verney-Carron Double Rifles

Barrett Rifles

Shiloh Rifles

Gunner
Didn't ask that. I didn't take it that way ,I took manfacturer
Originally Posted by conrad101st

TC encore muzzleloader.

Thanks, you obviously read the request! But one question: the Mark 2... with factory trigger???
Originally Posted by savage62
Didn't ask that. I didn't take it that way ,I took manfacturer

Request was to rank the top five hunting rifles, not brands. So which models ring the bell for you?
Originally Posted by gunner500

Purdey Double Rifles

Barrett Rifles

Shiloh Rifles

Gunner

Gunner, you're clearly a double-gun slut! Which specific models?
Winchester 70-
repeat
repeat
Ruger 77
Remington 700
Like my Sako 75, but not made "today".
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Sako.

Which Sako?

Well, I own a grand total of one. A Sako 75 Hunter in .17 Remington I bought new in about 2000. I can't imagine a finer rifle for mowing down fox and coyotes. Superb weapon With the slickest action around IMO.

I like CZ's as well, but they ain't close in quality.
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Winchester 70-
repeat
repeat
Ruger 77
Remington 700

Ruger over Remmy- yea, we are history, for sure.
Model 70
model 70
model 70
model 70
having a tough time picking a 5th
Originally Posted by gunner500

Purdey Double Rifles

Barrett Rifles

Shiloh Rifles

Gunner

Gunner, you're clearly a double-gun slut! Which specific models?

Sidelocks on the Holland and Purdey

Boxlock on the V/C

Select Fire on the Barrett

Single shot of course on the Shiloh

All makers will custom fit LOP barrel lengths and chamberings are picked for the particular job at hand.

Gunner
Sako.

Which Sako?

Well, I own a grand total of one. A Sako 75 Hunter in .17 Remington I bought new in about 2000. I can't imagine a finer rifle for mowing down fox and coyotes. Superb weapon With the slickest action around IMO.

I like CZ's as well, but they ain't close in quality.

Yeah, but the 75 isn't made today.
Never really had a bad one.

Savage 99, Model 700, Tikka, Winchester 70, Ruger 77, Marlin 30/30, Win 94-----all kill deer, elk or whatever they were pointed at.

Savage 99, Model 700, Tikka, Winchester 70, Ruger 77, Marlin 30/30, Win 94-----all kill deer, elk or whatever they were pointed at.
I'll bite....

1. Kimber 84m Montana -- from walking varminter to moose.

2. Forbes 24B -- any and all big game. When the all stainless 20B's are out, my #1 may change.

3. Remington 700 -- from varmints to big game, they make a variation perfect for the application.

4. Montana Rifle Company XWR-SS -- this rifle is what the stainless Model 70 should be.

5. Ruger Hawkeye -- rugged and reliable with models available for any game desired. Ruger may have been higher on the list a couple of years ago, but I'm unhappy with the current trend cheapening their rifles.

There are a few others that should be on my list, but these are my favorites. Cooper rates a thunk, but most of their rifles are out of reach for some. Same goes for NULA.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in ............ 7x57 because its the [bleep] cool

Remington 700 CDL stainless fluted. Accurate mid-sized barrel, not too heavy to lug around like a Scendaro.

Tikka Hunter with wood stock in any Caliber. Because they pretty much out shoot any Factory production rifle out of the box, in the accuracy department.

Ruger Gunsite Scout .308. Because mine shoots sub 1/2" 5-shot groups @ 100 yards with cheap ass 150 grain Factory Corlockts. Most accurate Ruger I've ever owned.

Ruger #1 Express Rifle. Just a classy rifle all the way around. Even though the kick like a friggin mule in the big calibers. Would be my choice for a Safarii Rifle for every thing but an Elephant. And because I'll never be able to afford a really nice H&H Double Rifle. cry
Interesting. I was wondering how long it would take the Savage 99 to make an appearance... A bit surprised at only one vote for Kimber thus far... and the 700 isn't getting too much love.
Sako 85 Stainless Synthetic 300 WSM...weight, quality, accuracy
Sako 85 Finnlight 300 Win Mag..same as above plus palmswell
Kimber Classic 300 Win Mag..weight, accuracy and aesthetics
Ruger #1 Stainless Lam 7MM..accurate and purty
Remington 700 LSS 7MM RUM...because it has ultra in it's name
It is difficult to exclude the Ruger #1...
What? No love for Browning... or Weatherby?
Of factory guns made today, Shiloh Sharps #3 or a Business or Saddle rifle. Any of those three are superb hunting rifles of a quality that far far exceeds anything made by Remchesterlin, etc. Not even close to comparable.
Remington 7600 ought to be included. Very underrated.
Originally Posted by noharleyyet
Sako 85 Stainless Synthetic 300 WSM...weight, quality, accuracy
Sako 85 Finnlight 300 Win Mag..same as above plus palmswell
Kimber Classic 300 Win Mag..weight, accuracy and aesthetics
Ruger #1 Stainless Lam 7MM..accurate and purty
Remington 700 LSS 7MM RUM...because it has ultra in it's name

Right on my Modern Brutha, I'll take the old school, you can have the newer, but we both like fuelie Harleys. laugh

Gunner
Sako 85 finnlight

Sako 85 stainless/synthetic

Sako 85 hunter

Sako 85 Classic

Sako 85 Deluxe

Dink
As a rule of thumb I won't even look at anything that isn't at least 40 years old. Prefer at least 60. FILO's. (firearms I'd like to own).

Just me. Just simply don't care for anything new.
Originally Posted by colorado bob

Savage 99,
Model 700, Tikka, Winchester 70, Ruger 77, Marlin 30/30, Win 94, Savage 99,-----all kill deer, elk or whatever they were pointed at.
Currently built rifles:
Sako #1
Weatherby #1a ,
choices would depend on "style" of hunting

Why would I buy/consider a 3,4,or 5th choice?
Originally Posted by krupp
CZ

CZ what? Be specific, please. There are rules to this game.

Sorry I broke the rules. I will go for dollar value but if money is no object then I would have only picked English Best grade.

CZ452..Price is within reason for a rifle that is on par with an Anschutz.
CZ 455...Price and modularity/extra caliber capability.
CZ 550...Price, accuracy and the magnums are a true mauser magnum action.
CZ/Brno Combo. Price, accuracy in a quasi-drilling setup.
CZ 527...Price, accuracy in varmint rifle wet dream.
Remington 770 Mossberg ATR laugh
Cooper

Sako finnlight
Blaser R-93 mine is in 7mm RM
Sako Hunter 6.5 x55
Sako 75 SS 338 Winchester Mag
Steyr Mannlicher Mod M Pro, first generation 7 x 57
Winchester M-70 FW 243, its on loan to a good friend.

I don't get rapped up in this sort of stuff anymore, as long as a rifle shoots well enough feeds extracts with out any problems any make will do. I looked at a Ruger American yesterday, nice trigger bolt worked well with out any problems other than a cleaning and some light gun oil on the action. Nice for 379 at Cabelas.
Originally Posted by conrad101st

TC encore muzzleloader.

Thanks, you obviously read the request! But one question: the Mark 2... with factory trigger???

I actually did replaced my trigger and its stupid light. It's a pure prairie dog gun.
Does 'best' mean 'best value', 'most accurate', 'most durable', 'most reliable', 'shiniest finish', 'prettiest wood', 'easiest to shoot', 'most expensive', or 'highest status'?

Or should we all just shout out whatever rifle we have as the best?
Rem 700 BDL, Win Mod70 (New),
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
760 Remington is No. 1 because it is so reliable. grin grin that should get it going..

There, fixed it for ya....
Anyone who thinks current production Remington made Marlin rifles are well made has not been paying attention.
Cooper of Montana.
Sako
Weatherby
Anything German

Five best factory rifles today:

In no particular order,

Sauer 202

Cooper 50 series (52,54,56)

Dakota M76

Merkel K3 Single Shot

Rock River Arms AR in 308

The best Remington 700
1) Kimber 84M
2) Win. Model 70
Hmmm....

I imagine a Forbes would be up there, but having never touched one I can't say one way or the other. Clearly I need to buy more rifles and offer up a more informed opinion.
Originally Posted by DINK
Sako 85 finnlight

Sako 85 stainless/synthetic

Sako 85 hunter

Sako 85 Classic

Sako 85 Deluxe

Dink

I like your thinking Mister, now just turn those 85's into 75's and add the Grey Wolf and you'll be on to something. wink
If you had to pick the five top factory HUNTING rifles made TODAY, how would you rank them -- and why? That's the sole criteria for this little poll. Otherwise, it's wide open. Let's hear 'em...

What am I hunting?
Five best factory isn't saying much!
Ruger No. 1 [270 WBY Mag is best chambering]

Weatherby Mk V

Rem 700

Ruger 77

Marlin 1895

Remington? You can make those go off by tapping on the receiver. Half you guys wouldn't know a quality rifle if I handed it to you.
My hunting experience is limited to New York and North Carolina farm country, so my choices may be reflected in that experience.

Remington Model 7 [no other gun is as capable in the thick woods and open fields as the model 7]

Marlin "X" guns - [because everybody needs a $300 gun that will shoot itty bitty groups for thousands of rounds with hardly a worry]

CZ 550 UHR- [there's just something about a well made gun with a set trigger and fancy walnut stock that shoots MOA out to 600yds]

Remington 750 or Marlin 336 -[fast handling accurate guns that are the latest evolution dating back over 100yrs]

Rock River Arms LAR-8 predator -[modern gun with amazing accuracy that is just as capable of having fun blasting cans at the range, defending the homestead, or killing critters out as far as the shooter and cartridge is capable. 243, 7-08, or 308, take your pick]

RUGER #1 RSI (Mannlicher stock)

Mines, 243 Win.
The original question is too broad to be meaningful IMHO. If you set just a few parameters, it is possible to make arguments for your favorites. There are things such as reliability, QC, Aesthics and caliber availability to consider as well as just general engineering. You also have to define 'factory'. They are many, many times more Remington/Savage/Ruger etc made than NULA or H&H for example. Kinda hard to compare a Remington to a Holland.

IF you take mass produced (guns that aren't typically bespoke) then I think you could make a good argument for

Cooper
Montana
Kimber
Ruger
Winchester

and I am only talking bolt guns.

It would be hard to argue against the imports like Sauer, Sako and Blaser.

I personally would have a hard time putting Remington on any top 5 list myself.
I honestly don't know. The newest "factory" rifle I own is about 50 years old...a Mod 94. It's way too easy to find an old 700 action, and get it right, than to mess with overpriced junk.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I honestly don't know. The newest "factory" rifle I own is about 50 years old...a Mod 94. It's way too easy to find an old 700 action, and get it right, than to mess with overpriced junk.

Truer words were never spoken!

1)SC FN Model 70 Jack O'Connor Tribute Winchester Model 70. 270

2)Forbes Model 24 06

3)Cooper Arms Model 54 Excaliber 7/08 with ceracote finish

4)Weatherby Vanguard Backcountry 300 Roy

5)Sako 85 Finnlight SS 300 Winchester Mag

Forged instead of cast parts.
Hand fitted parts.
Hand finished parts.
High quality parts.
Proven designs.
For this poor boy.

Ruger 77 MK II in 7mm/08 in SS w/Gray Laminated Stock
Ruger 77 MK II in 223 Rem in SS w/Black Plastic Stock
Ruger 10/22 in any configuration

All the rest are custom built 300 Wby in Rem 700 Action, Springfield '03 A1 '06, and pre '64 1907 version of Winchester '94 30 WCF long rifle w/half round/half octagon barrel
Browning Bl .22 plinking/rabits
Bushmaster varmint special .223/5.56 coyotes
Browning A bolt 7mm mag med/large critters
Browning A5 light 12 upland/turkeys rifled slug barell for very large critters
© 24hourcampfire