Home
Fine, well written article, this. GREAT MAPS, and some savvy dialogue.

Over the years, some Campfire types have equaled or exceeded this piece, but given a couple of the themes we've been booting around over the last week or so , I thought it worth putting up. Hoping that Curdog, Birdwatcher, and other regional denizens will chime in with some critique.

GTC

Link: http://www.hellonearthblog.com/2013/05/big-bend-national-park-drug-war.html

Big Bend Texas & the Drug War
A large section of the U.S.-Mexico border goes heavily unmanned, under-reported, and almost forgotten

By K.Mennem May 28, 2013
Editor R. Hernandez

Big Bend is a massive national park in West Texas that few will ever visit. The park, despite its natural beauty, will never draw in tourists the way Yellowstone or other parks do. Only around 200,000 to 350,000 visitors travel to the park annually, making it one of the least visited national parks in the nation. Reasons the park never on to tourism are unclear, yet the most likely reason being its remoteness. Sharing a long and largely unmanned border with Mexico doesn't always help draw tourists either.

Of the 2,019km (1,255mile) distance that the Rio Grande doubles as a border for Mexico and the US, 393km (244miles) are included in the Big Bend National Park. The stretch is massive, yet rarely if ever mentioned in border policy or crime.

The Mexican states of Chihuahua and Coahuila split the Mexican side of the border opposite of Big Bend, which lies entirely in Texas. The only Mexican border town in the area that registers on most maps is Ojinaga, which lies just to the northwest of the park. A few smaller towns dot the border on Mexico�s side.

Across from Big Bend lies Mexico�s equivalent of the park, Parque Nacional Ocampo. The park is rarely visited, but offers amazing landscape for those that do. Manuel Benavides, a town in the northwest section of the Mexican park, has a population of under 200. Mexico Highway 20 circles up into the northwest part of Coahuila state, coming within 50km of the Texas border on the eastern side of the park.

After the September 11th attacks, an unofficial border crossing was closed down in the area. This move was devastating for the small town of Boquillas del Carmen. All commerce came to a halt and the town nearly became a ghost town. This port of entry opened back up in April of 2013. There is no bridge, only small boats, carry travelers back and forth. The area is desolate and travelers are scarce, but since the reopening of the crossing a small amount of life has been pumped back into Mexico�s side. When crossing into the U.S., no border agent is present. A kiosk is stationed where travelers are to swipe their documents and talk via webcam to agents in El Paso.

Another unmonitored international bridge was shut down beforehand in 1997. The crossing, referred to as La Linda International Bridge, connected the small Mexican village of La Linda, Coahuila, with Ranch to Market Road 2627 in Texas. The crossing lies just to the northeast of Big Bend National Park. A mission and small village remains, but only ghosts occupy the buildings. The town was devastated when the crossing was shut down due to alleged drug trafficking.
The Big Bend area is the middle point between Ciudad Ju�rez and Ciudad Acu�a. Ju�rez was recently a war-zone between the Carrillo-Fuentes Organization (Juarez Cartel) and the Sinaloa Cartel. Things have slowed since the Sinaloa became dominant in the plaza, yet the Ju�rez Cartel is still prevalent in the area. Acu�a is currently run by the Zetas, but is seeing some pressure from both the Gulf and Sinaloa Cartel.

The only notable border city between the two areas is Ojinaga. Travel from Ju�rez to Ojinaga is much easier than travel from Acu�a to Ojinaga. This in itself has made it easier for the Sinaloa Cartel to run the Ojinaga plaza. The city has remained mostly peaceful, since opposition is rare.

Despite the apparent peace, Ojinaga made global headlines when a local journalist, Jaime Gonzalez Dominguez, was gunned down at a taco stand. Gonzalez Dominguez was the director and founder of Ojinaga Noticias. The site rarely reported on crime, putting the motive for the murder in question. It has been alleged that the victim may have taken a photo of a cartel member and was attacked in retribution. Gonzalez Dominguez was shot at least 18 times with an assault rifle. The crime has not been solved.

Twelve years before the murder of Jaime Gonzalez Dominguez, another Ojinaga reporter was killed. Jose Luis Ortega Mata was a local journalist who was known for writing on organized crime and corruption. People of the city assumed he was killed for doing so. The crime has gone unsolved as well.

Cities slightly into the interior of the Mexican border often fuel the smaller border towns. In the case with the Big Bend area border towns, they seem to have been forgotten. When La Linda and Boquillas del Carmen crossings were shut down for years, they became a mere memory to larger cities in Mexico. People had no reason to travel the routes if there was no entry to the U.S. or money coming in from Texas. Roads diminished, goods stopped coming, and the towns became no more.

The crossing at Ojinaga fared much better. The crossing has never been threatened with closing. Highway 16 travels 230km from Chihuahua city to the border crossing at Ojinaga. Once into Texas your choices of nearby major cities are limited. Head northeast and you can reach Midland-Odessa in around four hours. Back to the northwest you can reach El Paso in about the same time. Heading away from the border, Fort Worth and Albuquerque are both about an eight hour drive.
A number of small villages and ranches near the Texas border show up on a Mexican atlas, but not on Google Maps. After further researching the towns such as Rancho Nuevo, San Rosendo, and El Abanico, it is clear only a handful of people at most live in them.

The Big Bend area is one of the three most desolate areas along the Mexico-U.S. border. Other comparable border areas are the boot of New Mexico and Southwest Arizona. All three present major difficulties for the U.S. government, yet the Arizona area is by far the most publicized.

The Southwest Arizona border is known to be controlled by the Sinaloa Cartel. The boot of New Mexico is used by both the Sinaloa Cartel and the Juarez Cartel. The western end of Big Bend is also used in operations by the Sinaloa Cartel and possibly still the Juarez Cartel, but as a whole is there a real owner?

The Zetas lie to the east and face pressure from the Gulf Cartel. With four major cartels operating in or nearby such a vast piece of border territory the area could be prime real estate for a free-for-all war. If this was to ever happen, which it probably wouldn�t, would Mexico bother stopping it?

Out of nine U.S. Border Patrol sectors, Big Bend has the lowest apprehensions. The large sector also has the lowest amount of Border Patrol agents. Despite having the lowest number of agents and apprehensions, the Big Bend sector is the largest of the nine sectors. According to CBP.gov, the sector covers over 420 miles of river border. The next largest is the El Paso sector, which covers 268 miles of border.
While it is clear that the lower number of agents and apprehensions are because of the borders distance from any major Mexican cities, it also makes one wonder if the activity is just not seen. Ojinaga had an estimated 2010 population of 22,744 according to Mexico�s INEGI. No other notable towns are located on either side of the border. Have smugglers given up on the area, or are they simply passing through unnoticed. With no violence, does either side care to stop a �harmless� drug trafficker?

In 2010, Brewster County Sheriff Ronny Dodson noted an increase in burglaries in the Big Bend area. He claimed two cartels were operating in the area and that he was highly undermanned to police such a large area. Despite the concern by law enforcement, many locals and visitors will claim you are just as likely to be attacked by a mountain lion than by a drug trafficker.

Despite low apprehensions, a large amount of drugs do pass through the Big Bend sector. Large busts occur from time to time. In March of 2013, 474 pounds of marijuana were seized from a trailer at the Presidio port of entry across from Ojinaga. The driver was from Chihuahua city, Chihuahua.

In May of 2013, 436 pounds of marijuana were seized from a pickup truck in a hidden compartment. Two United States citizens were arrested. Both were women, one from Odessa, TX, the other from Leadville, CO. In February, two New Mexico natives were arrested with 500 pounds of marijuana slightly north of the border.

Back in 1992, the New York Times wrote on the return of drug trafficking to the Big Bend area after the crack down of trafficking into Florida. According to the story, a 26 year old Dallas man and his 5 year old daughter were killed in 1991 while camping on the Rio Grande. Locals believe drug traffickers were to blame. Drug traffickers allegedly began to again utilize the area, as they did in the 1960's and 1970's, to move narcotics through the desolate border section.

Border Patrol in the area was eventually strengthened, but still has a low number for the amount of area it mans. Out of 151 recorded cases of Border Patrol corruption, none have occurred in the Big Bend/Marfa sector. According to a border corruption study, by the Center for Investigative Reporting, 47 cases have been recorded in other Texas border sectors.
According to the �2012 Stratfor areas of cartel influence map�, the Zetas occupy the entire state of Coahuila. At the border of Chihuahua, the map indicates the rest of the park area south of the border is �under dispute�. On the 2011 version of the map, both sides of the Mexican state lines are listed as �disputed territory�, putting the area further into question.

No notable violent incidents have been made public in recent years in the direct Big Bend National Park or Parque Nacional Ocampo. (In 2000 a murder occurred in Big Bend, no ties to organized crime or narcotics were suspected) The crimes in Ojinaga lie outside of the parks, but still in the Big Bend general region.
The National Park Service does give this warning, despite historically low crime in the park
Be Aware, Be Safe

-Know where you are at all times, follow good safety procedures, and use common sense. Remember, cell phone service is limited in many areas of the park.
-Keep valuables, including spare change, out of sight and lock your vehicle.
-Avoid travel on well-used but unofficial "trails".
-Do not pick up hitchhikers.
-People in distress may ask for food, water, or other assistance. It is recommended that you do not make contact with them, but note the location, and immediately notify park rangers. Lack of water is a life-threatening emergency in the desert.
-Occasional drug smuggling and border crossings occur within the park. If you see anything that looks illegal, suspicious, or out of place, please do not stop or intervene, but note the location, and call 911 or report any suspicious behavior to park staff or Border Patrol as quickly as possible.
-Ask at the visitor center or contact a ranger or a Border Patrol agent about areas where you may have concerns about traveling.
----
In late 2010, Reuters inaccurately reported that 18 bodies were found in mass graves near Big Bend. The report indicated the bodies were found in Palomas, Chihuahua, a small village just south of the Rio Grande. It turned out the incident occurred in Puerto Palomas, Chihuahua, which lies to the west of Ju�rez.

Digging for incidents and horrible stories may seem counter-productive, but when an area this large, this prime, and this susceptible is so quiet, it makes one wonder. Is there a huge secret in this park we are missing, or is it just too far and too desolate to even bother? Narcotics are clearly being moved through the region, it would seem ignorant not to have boots and eyes on the operation from a criminal standpoint.

The parks seem to be completely peaceful. The border appears to be extremely calm. With little violence, low apprehensions, and frankly no AK-47 henchmen patrolling the areas, maybe there is no point in taking time to wonder. Maybe this section of the border simply remains untouched by the atrocities that typically come with illegal narcotics and the drug war that is pitted against them.
---
K. Mennem

I'm not exactly "regional", but will comment if I may...

Guy in San Diego writing about Texas.

(Not that he's all wrong. The entire Texas Border is like that.)
I've been known to knock around there

[Linked Image]

The left side of the canyon is Mexico.

It is a beautiful place, especially in spring, when the wildflowers are blooming. I've been a few times, and have some good memories of a sultry senorita who went there with me, one time.

The trip where I took the above photo was the year my grandmother turned 100. I was living in CA at the time, and made a grand round trip of the Southwest. After catching Madre's 100th B-day party, I headed back, but stopped in Terlingua at a hotel, then drove into BB to catch the sunrise against the Santa Elena Canyon. I then took a few more photos & left the park, and realized I sure was acting like a smuggler, racing into the park in the dark and racing back out blush I was half expecting the BP to pull me over & rip the truck apart, but no one bothered me.

I will go again, but greater caution will also be indicated. mad
My parents took me and my brother down there for vacation and we camped out in a popup camper for a week. I still remember some of the beautiful scenery. And I remember driving in at night after my brother and I were offered the option of staying the night outside of the park and driving in in the morning so we could see the sights. Of course we were anxious and chose to head on in to the campground that night.

No way on hell that I would take my kids down there now. I'd love for them to see it, not not taking the chance.
My parents visit and camp there often. I read somewhere National Parks and patrolling borders do not mix very well. Vehicles crush precious cactus and helicopters kill bears (or something).

Druglord is a great read if folks ever find the time. Ojinaga has been a smuggler's town for generations.

Travis
younger brother jeff there back around 90

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I'm not exactly "regional", but will comment if I may...

Guy in San Diego writing about Texas.

(Not that he's all wrong. The entire Texas Border is like that.)

It is a good article, IMO, but geographical errors are what tip you off the writer ain't exactly "local".

" Once into Texas your choices of nearby major cities are limited. Head northeast and you can reach Midland-Odessa in around four hours. Back to the northwest you can reach El Paso in about the same time. Heading away from the border, Fort Worth and Albuquerque are both about an eight hour drive."

I was in Presidio/Ojinaga last Fall, and posted about it here. The driving times to the various Texas cities are off by a bunch, and make transporting dope by automobile thru Presidio a not very attractive proposition.

For instance, going NW toward El Paso means that you leave Presidio on a Ranch Road which runs alongside the river. It goes 48 miles thru the village of Ruidosa, and ends at Candelaria, another small village.From that place, I went on a private road away from the river to a ranch 23 miles thru a few locked gates to the headquarters.

I noticed a dirt road [not gravel or caliche] going on upriver from Candelaria, but here were signs warning against using it, even with a 4WD vehicle. The ranch foreman told me it was usually completely washed out in a few places.

My point being that to move dope thru Presidio by vehicle means moving it thru Marfa.

The article is about the Big Bend Park, but to assess the dope smuggling thru public land better, you'd have to add in the BB Ranch State Park on the West and the Black Gap WMA on the East side of the park.

The favored way of transport in the Big Bend Sector is mules on foot. The favored corridor starts in Reagan Canyon and then other corridors branch off out of it varying from NNE to NNW.

They used to terminate at pickup spots along Hiwat 90, but, as I pointed out in my thread about "Raul", they now often go on across Hwy 90 to be picked up on private land.
Greg, thanks for posting the article.

I've been told by 2 or 3 different BP agents that it is "unofficial department policy" to avoid putting so much pressure on smugglers in your [Tucson] sector that it pushes them into the Big Bend Sector. They simply have no strategy in the Big Bend short of checkpoints and patrolling on the few hiways.

With the DHS under pressure to achieve the "magical 90% secure" number that's required for all the amnesty opponents in Congress to drop their opposition, I wouldn't expect THAT to change.
Hey curdog. Some acquaintances of mine just about bought up the whole town of Candeleria!
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Greg, thanks for posting the article.

I've been told by 2 or 3 different BP agents that it is "unofficial department policy" to avoid putting so much pressure on smugglers in your [Tucson] sector that it pushes them into the Big Bend Sector. They simply have no strategy in the Big Bend short of checkpoints and patrolling on the few hiways.

With the DHS under pressure to achieve the "magical 90% secure" number that's required for all the amnesty opponents in Congress to drop their opposition, I wouldn't expect THAT to change.

Indeed, the situation grows no LESS complex.

GTC

Back in the 90's an acquaintance was camped out at Big Bend, in an off trail location, just in a sleeping bag. Woke up to see burros being loaded with packages some distance downslope.

A woman with the party made eye contact, but pretended not to have seen him. He was very grateful, and stayed frozen in his bag until after they had left.

If drug trafficking is light compared to Arizona, it might be because IIRC the remoteness on the Mexican side is equaled by that on the American side. Might be 100 miles of walking either way before you hit serious pavement.

Here's shot of Terlingua, home of the famous Chili cook-off, about 30 miles in from the river IIRC. This terrain is all volcanic tuff; soft crumbling rocks that make a very abrasive and irritating dust. NOT a terrain I'd want to traverse on foot even if it weren't a hostile desert...

[Linked Image]

Ain't much traffic either to blend in with if you were running contraband..... as this IS Texas cool

Got pics of the stretch between Presidio and Lajitas....

Pretty PO'd at the new photobucket jumbling up my pics mad, but to give an idea of this very dry and powdery terrain, here's looking east to Big Bend, photo taken not far from the river...

[Linked Image]

And this here would be Lajitas, I'm thinking struggling to hang on after a brief trendy period had folks building there, note the Rio Grande in the background, I believe those are Mexican mountains, and might give an idea of difficulty of access from the Mexican side...

[Linked Image]

Lajitas from a little ways upstream...

[Linked Image]

Fifty miles of nothing between Lajitas and Presidio/Ojinaga. The rods does take you past Big Bend State Ranch, a park, but a Texas park, with all that that implies I'd guess relative to tolerance of illegal foot traffic.

Some folks do live along here, this house was boarded up for the season but we were getting barked at by a dog from another house maybe 400 yards away....

[Linked Image]

Random shot, somewhere along that stretch, Mexico on the left....

[Linked Image]

Movie set, ("Streets of Laredo" fer one) river just downhill, FM 170, on the American side, can be seen climbing slope in background....

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/New%20Mexico/IMG_0200.jpg[/img]

My dogs dabbling in international waters just downhill, Mexico in background....

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/New%20Mexico/IMG_0206.jpg[/img]

'Nother random shot along the river, looking east, at Mexican mountains....

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/New%20Mexico/IMG_0190.jpg[/img]

Somewhere I have shots of the Rio Grande just east of Presidio/Ojinaga, looks about like an irrigation ditch, no fence of any kind.

Main street Presidio....

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/Sharpshin/New%20Mexico/IMG_0048.jpg[/img]

You mean they now own all four buildings? grin

Do you know that the kids in that town ride the bus 50 miles into Presidio to school?

I didn't see a commercial establishment of any kind there or in Ruidosa either.
Port of Entry, Ojinaga...

[Linked Image]

Coming into town on Hwy 67 from Marfa, Mexican mountains in background....

[Linked Image]

Sixty miles of two lane highway 'tween Marfa and Presidio, looking south, you can see the highway in the pic...

[Linked Image]

Lot easier terrain here than further east. This one looking north towards Marfa, Davis Mountain in distance, light dusting of snow. All private land like most all of Texas. I dunno the amount of problems ranchers along this stretch are having.

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

Yup! That's them. I asked em why they bought it. One said he always wanted to be the mayor of somewhere. I think they spend most of their time up at the Chinati hot springs. Doin' Lord knows what!

They are a good bunch!!!!
Birdwatcher - pretty country down there. Been a while since I traveled that part of the border but I do remember liking it a lot.

But meanwhile, I thought you were in Iowa this weekend?

The weekend ain't over for another 35 hours yet. We fly out manana.
I just looked thru Photobucket trying to find a couple pictures I took from one spot.

South was the Rio Grande and the Mexican Mountains in the background. North was Chianti Peak.

Photobucket is REALLY screwed up.

There are some really good aoudads around Chianti, I'm told. Good mulies....... not so much.
At the Texas Outdoor Writer's Conference in February, a Texas Parks & Wildlife spokesman told us that the Dept. wanted to encourage hunters to visit Big Bend Ranch State Park, in particular to shoot Aoudads, as they compete heavily with the Bighorn sheep they are trying to re-establish in the area. He also said a hunter could shoot unlimited feral hogs. After wading through a lot of bureaucracy, I was told by the Park Manager that no hunting for Aoudads (or anythign else) was allowed, and that he had never seen or heard of a feral hog in the area!

A long, long time ago I owned 40 acres in the Terlingua Ranch, which Carroll Shelby was selling in small chunks. They kept a large area for landowners to hunt in, had some mule deer, and occasionally spotted a (protected even then) black bear. VERY desolate, and dry. A local in the only business at the time in Terlingua told me he hunted a few coons with his hounds, but didn't see many of them. On the drive in from Alpine, it was common to see mule deer and javelina along the road.

I would have to agree that it would be a long walk to carry illegal cargo anywhere, and the remoteness, while it might be attractive to illegal activities, would make it hard to operate.

Beautiful, rugged country.
Your hog story reminds me of the [true story] two yankees who flew into DFW back right after it opened in 1970 or so. They had seen that Texas had a year-round season on bears, and came to kill some. But there were no bears back then. Ben Lilly had killed 'em all!

They only allow the winners of the Texas Big Game Lottery to hunt the State Park or Black Gap WMA. I THINK you can hunt quail, but I'm not sure.

They put 200 Bighorns from Elephant Mountain in the Black
Gap, and three years later [the Fall of 2011] the lions had killed all but 60. The Aoudads are NOT the problem.

Now........ back to dope smuggling.

This is looking North from a spot on the ranch we hunted for 12 years.[it sold last year, and we lost our lease]

[Linked Image]

This spot is roughly- no pun intended- halfway between the river and Hiway 90.There are game trails going thru the pass shown in the picture, and I've found discarded water bottles all along it.

San Francisco Creek lies just over the mountain and it is a year round water source, one of the few dependable ones in the area. If the rancher moves his cattle out of a pasture, he diverts the water in the troughs someplace else, so you can't always count on them.

This route was favored by the "true wets" - Juan and Maria coming over to work - because the route was easily followed, and no coyotes were needed.

Starting 5 or 6 years ago, the drug mules started using it as well, but they tried to keep a low profile in the beginning. Last year we hunted there[2011], the ranch foreman had 2 or 3 bunches of them knock on his door and demand food, which he gave them, and a ride to the hiway, which he didn't.

His wife preceded him about 15 minutes one night coming back from Sanderson. Once home, they compared notes about a cap in the road that one of them had seen and the other one hadn't. Knowing that the illegals were on foot and close by, he called the BP.

Two agents drove out [it's an hour and a half from Sanderson, though only 24 road miles] and the foreman helped them start looking and tracking. They couldn't find them, and called in the helicopter.

Even then, it took the better part of an hour to find the wets, and the three of them were less than 100 yards off the road.

For country that appears so open, it's awfully easy to hide in.

San Francisco Creek is where you see the trees in this picture:

[Linked Image]
Funny you should mention Ben Lilly. Been reading my first edition "The Ben Lilly Legend" by J. Frank Dobie this week.

The Drug war, what a bunch of hooie.
That's the only book I required ALL my kids to read........ even the 3 girls!
One of the books that got my oldest son into reading!!! He's not stopped yet! Old books are an old friend!!
If Dobie had his own "style", I am too illiterate to notice it.

He just wrote REAL GOOD stuff is all I know.

Ben Lilly never had his own line of hounds like the Lee brothers, for instance. He just got dogs from ranchers and folks in his travels and let them be whatever they were gonna be.

But he culled pretty hard. grin
© 24hourcampfire