Home
[Linked Image]

Did him in with stick, boot stomp, rake and a final coup de gras with a .22LR Rat shot load laugh

Mike
Well how many more do you think you'll get this year.

Good job
Don't look like a Copperhead.
thats a LONG one for here! skinnier than I'd have expected lots of ours don't get to 24 but get thicker.
The snake I see looks more like a rat snake than a copperhead.
should have let it bite you so you could make sure it was a real Copper Head
Posted By: byc Re: 1st Copperhead of the year!! - 06/20/13
It's a dead snake, which is a good snake.

PERIOD!
you have that right
Looked like a copperhead when I kilt it. Not so much in the pics:D Had a triangle shaped head like a poisonous snake though.

Usually kill 2-3 a year.

Had dog on leash with me when this one came out in driveway.

Mike
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking rat snake.
Its very dark for a copperhead, but I wouldn't chance it. A dead snake is a good snake.
Originally Posted by MColeman

Kids kill about 15 + a year in their yard and that don't look like one to me.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 1st Copperhead of the year!! - 06/20/13

^^^^^^^^
that
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[b][color:#3333FF]Gray Rat Snake.![/color][/b]
Copperheads are brown, tan, sand color, very cool looking unless they bite you!
All of the Copperheads around here are very orange and don't get over 24". These are also thicker than that one.

We haven't had one in the yard yet this summer, but I expect it any day.

Ed
One needs to feed his snakes a bit more. If that's a copperhead, some Korean orphans need to send him a care package.
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
[Linked Image]

Did him in with stick, boot stomp, rake and a final coup de gras with a .22LR Rat shot load laugh

Mike

Were you sure enough trying to kill it? whistle

Any dead snake is a good one.
Posted By: RDW Re: 1st Copperhead of the year!! - 06/20/13
These are Copperheads, I have only found one this year and he is stretched out in the freezer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by byc

PERIOD!

Why ?

Mike
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

Any dead snake is a good one.

Why ?

Mike
nice job. You saved the lives of a bunch of rats and mice...

Agkistrodon contortrix (copperhead)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mike

I'm not going to stick my neck out too much and be called a penis gobbler or some such by the regulars here, but I think snakes are fascinating creatures and useful as rodent control as well. I don't get killing just to kill.

And yeah, it's a rat snake. Bread loaf shaped body, long and skinny, head is not triangular at all, pupils round/not elliptical. Harmless and very useful to have around. Studied them extensively in Herp class in college. Check my handle on here.

But that's just me, I don't tell people what to do.
Posted By: byc Re: 1st Copperhead of the year!! - 06/20/13
"Penis gobbler" would be a good name for a specific species of snake.
I would have killed it too. I don't like any of them. I treat them all the same so there are no mistakes.

I won't kill a snake in his home if I don't have to but at my home they all die.
Looks like he killed a rat snake which is totally harmless. The bonus will be more rats and mice around the yard since that's what they eat.
I would have killed it too. I don't like any of them. I treat them all the same so there are no mistakes.

I won't kill a snake in his home if I don't have to but at my home they all die.

Why ?

Mike
Originally Posted by byc
"Penis gobbler" would be a good name for a specific species of snake.

Just got a PM that it was already taken by some guy in Alaska, someone said it was his scientific name and I should have put it in italics.
Yeah yeah there are plenty of other rat snakes around, I agree looking its not a copperhead but with dog on leash mail in hand it was too close for comfort, not going to lose any sleep over it, but don't normally whack non poisonous ones
If any of you guys feel the least bit guilty about killing copperheads I will gladly buy the skins off you so you can buy booze to drown said guilt.

I'm dead serious. I will buy copperhead skins. PM me for details.
don't normally whack non poisonous ones

This thread is proof you don't know one from the other.

Mike
Originally Posted by RDW
These are Copperheads, I have only found one this year and he is stretched out in the freezer.

[Linked Image]

How far away did you have to throw that 80# sack of concrete to hit that snake grin

Bet you only shoot cartridges with belts too.
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Originally Posted by byc

PERIOD!

Why ?

Mike

Cuz they taste like chicken?
Posted By: Pat85 Re: 1st Copperhead of the year!! - 06/20/13
Originally Posted by BrentD
nice job. You saved the lives of a bunch of rats and mice...

And help promote the spread of Hantavirus. Rat snakes are always welcome on my property.
Originally Posted by ratsnakeboogy
I'm not going to stick my neck out too much and be called a penis gobbler or some such by the regulars here, but I think snakes are fascinating creatures and useful as rodent control as well. I don't get killing just to kill. .....
But that's just me, I don't tell people what to do.

+1 we do a lot of herp hunting up here. Not a lot of finding, but a lot of looking.

Mike

You hands must have been quite full, what with the mail and dog leash as well.
:-)

[quote=ready_on_the_right but don't normally whack non poisonous ones[/quote]

because you are so good at distinguishing them.

My 5 year old just looked at the picture and said "cool, a rat snake".

Here is a red rat snake I saw last month in the Osceola NF. I don't kill snakes often, so this guy got away.
[Linked Image]
Killed a small one ( 18 inches or so )yesterday. If I get a big one I will send ya the skin. Here in west Tn we have only two snakes to worry about - copperheads and water moccs ( I have never seen a timber rattler in 40 years in the woods). Any snake that won't hurt my cattle or dogs in the water gets a free pass to hunt mice - unless they meet my wife who got a full dose of the snake dislike the Bible speaks of!

yep rat snake.
My old cellar was full of 'em.

Kept the old lady and her father out of there!

I could have stored hookers and gold bars down there and they would Never known!
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Here is a red rat snake I saw last month in the Osceola NF. I don't kill snakes often, so this guy got away.
[Linked Image]

WOW , he was mighty tense! Must be the sand ...
This one was in my driveway last summer. They don't get a pass around the house. Three young kids spend too much time outside playing....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by byc

PERIOD!

Why ?

Mike

Because ALL snakes are potentially dangerous - they'll cause you to run into schit and hurt yourself.
Originally Posted by stray round
Originally Posted by RDW

[Linked Image]

How far away did you have to throw that 80# sack of concrete to hit that snake grin

Bet you only shoot cartridges with belts too.

That was a damn funny encounter, I was returning to a family members house about 10:00pm after doing tile work on my own house, the snake was crossing the dirt driveway and I was wearing flip flops, I didn't want it to get to the Youpon so I threw the bag on him and grabbed a piece of tile and wacked it in the head.

But not half as funny as the Copperhead that flipped out of my hand in the truck, at night, and yet again, wearing flip flops.
I can't think of one good reason to have one of those things in my hand.
Posted By: WFR Re: 1st Copperhead of the year!! - 06/20/13
Originally Posted by RDW

But not half as funny as the Copperhead that flipped out of my hand in the truck, at night, and yet again, wearing flip flops.

Waiting to hear the rest of that story! smile
I found one on the street behind my house, it was dark and I was looking at him in the headlights of the truck. I pinned his head and picked him up (intended to take him home and show my daughters his fangs), he was just hanging like a limp rope while I was looking at him and then he flipped right out of my hands and went under the front of the truck. I backed the truck up a few feet and there he was, so I get out, pin him again and pick him up.

I didn't bring my bucket so I got in the front seat of the truck, Copperhead in my right hand and reach for a large can with my left hand in the passenger side floorboard, damned if that snake didn't flip out my hand again, onto the passenger seat and crawling for the shifter, I jumped out and grab my stick and start raking him towards the door and he heads for the floorboard and then north to the dash. I start raking like crazy and rake him out of the truck onto my feet...of course, I am wearing my standard footwear *flip flops* and I dive back into the truck which starts rolling into the ditch...I yank the e-brake and sit there laughing for a few minutes while my heart pounds.

I slowly back the truck up and he was still there, I grab the can and stick, pin him again and start lowering him into the can, damned if that snake didn't flip out of my hand again. I beat him dead, threw him into the truck and took him home.
[Linked Image]

Mike

if you dont want copperheads around, might want to let the ratsnakes live.....the snakes are there cause you have mice and such around....if the nonvenomous snakes are eating most the mice the less chance your gonna have copperheads and such around....best way around here to keep rattlers away is make sure you have a health population of bullsnakes cause they are better mousers than the rattlers.....

Why ?

Mike

Because if he gets in the house my wife will move out.
Originally Posted by RDW
I found one on the street behind my house, it was dark and I was looking at him in the headlights of the truck. I pinned his head and picked him up (intended to take him home and show my daughters his fangs), he was just hanging like a limp rope while I was looking at him and then he flipped right out of my hands and went under the front of the truck. I backed the truck up a few feet and there he was, so I get out, pin him again and pick him up.

I didn't bring my bucket so I got in the front seat of the truck, Copperhead in my right hand and reach for a large can with my left hand in the passenger side floorboard, damned if that snake didn't flip out my hand again, onto the passenger seat and crawling for the shifter, I jumped out and grab my stick and start raking him towards the door and he heads for the floorboard and then north to the dash. I start raking like crazy and rake him out of the truck onto my feet...of course, I am wearing my standard footwear *flip flops* and I dive back into the truck which starts rolling into the ditch...I yank the e-brake and sit there laughing for a few minutes while my heart pounds.

I slowly back the truck up and he was still there, I grab the can and stick, pin him again and start lowering him into the can, damned if that snake didn't flip out of my hand again. I beat him dead, threw him into the truck and took him home.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

It's amazing how stroung the little bastids are, I held a Timber rattler once and it about broke my wrist.
I didn't need a bag of sakrete to cotch my very own 'copperhead'.....

[Linked Image]

Why ?

Mike

If MY wife would move out I'd turned a cotdam dozen out in my house. grin
Originally Posted by copperhead
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I didn't need a bag of sakrete to cotch my very own 'copperhead'.....

[Linked Image]

I don't think that one is a copperhead. Copperheads have triangle shaped heads and slanted cat like eyes.

yah think? read the entire thread.....
Hey Copperhead, it's as much of a copperhead as the OP's copperhead was a copperhead. So there. Pbbbbbbbbtttt.......grin
I'm a little slow today, My bad Huntsman. deleated post
I think snakes are the most fascinating & gorgeous of all God's creatures. I admire the poisonous ones from a distance & I play with the others as much as possible. Those rat snakes can & will bite ferociously.

Killing them all because you don't know one from the other exposes your ignorance.

Ever watched a King Snake eat a Rattler? It's pretty impressive.

Ever seen a Blue Indigo Racer's iridescence in the sun? It's a sight you'll never forget.

Ever held a Cane Break Rattler and had him constrict your arm? It hurts but it is quite fascinating.

Ever tried to pull a Red Tailed Boa out of a tree? Aint easy.

Ever seen a Pearl Rat Snake stiffen his tail & mimic a Rattler? It'd almost fool you until closer inspection reveals no rattle.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 1st Copperhead of the year!! - 09/10/13
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Hey Copperhead, it's as much of a copperhead as the OP's copperhead was a copperhead. So there. Pbbbbbbbbtttt.......grin

Ahhhh...BULL! grin
[Linked Image]

Mike

Like in Peewee Herman? "First we shoot him, then we stab him, then we kill him!"

Why ?

Mike

Thanks for the great idea!
Posted By: rifle Re: 1st Copperhead of the year!! - 09/10/13
thems little snakes...
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire