Home
Posted By: Bristoe Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
,..a few weeks ago,...took over the back yard.

It kept attacking my cats,..had to take one of them to the vet.

Anyway,..I caught it in a box trap and hauled it to the "cat" pound. (humane society)

It's about 4 miles from here.

That was about 10 days ago.

That cat is out in my back yard right now.

I can't figure it out.
Posted By: BrentD Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
You caught a neighbor's cat, they retrieved it, and now it is back home in your backyard.
Posted By: sharpsguy Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Don't you have a gun? A 22 works just fine. If it won't fit in, it can't stay. Simple.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
That's the only thing I can figure,...but it stays in my back yard about half the time.

I'm going to make an honest attempt to find out who owns it,..and if they don't fix the situation, they're going to have a much more difficult time retrieving it next time.
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Trap it again take out into the country and feed it a lead pill.

Problem Solved......

And don't get upset Terry, We've got four cats.
trapping a cat twice in the same box trap is no small trick.
You might try the ol' Red Ryder solution. That is pretty effective and not very harmful.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
A good dog would take care of this nicely.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I can't figure it out.

That's really surprising.
Posted By: Micro_Groove Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Cats are akin to raccoons and possums and they get treated as such.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
S....S....S.

That is all.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
That's the only thing I can figure,...but it stays in my back yard about half the time.

I'm going to make an honest attempt to find out who owns it,..and if they don't fix the situation, they're going to have a much more difficult time retrieving it next time.

Train that damn possum to git after the cat and make him earn his keep.....or did ya eat him this spring?
Yeah,..I hate to take it that far.

Mainly I'm just miffed.

I'm out $40 for a box trap,..a damn good can of sardines that served as bait, and a trip to the humane society,..only to find the sumbitch back in my yard,..just sleeping out there like it's lived here all his life.

I wouldn't mind if it was civil,....but it's pretty onery.
Haven't seen the possum lately.

That mean ass cat might have et it.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Can of sardines and he et yer possum...I'd shoot the bassturd!
lolol,...
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
There is something in your yard the cat likes.

If you have a garden hose handy with one of those high pressure handgun looking nozzles then every time you see it just give it a solid squirt of water and keep the hose on it until it skeedaddles out of the yard. The remedy may have to be applied a few times but hopefully the cat will associate your yard with an unpleasant experience and find a friendlier place to hang around.

It's perfectly legal, no extra ordnance to buy and no angry neighbors showing up with a perforated tabby and demanding explanations or asking suspicious questions about a missing cat, perhaps even with a police officer in tow.

It might not work but it's free and certainly worth a try.
I can't get close enough to it for that.

It makes tracks whenever anybody steps out the back door.

I think I'm going to have to give the BB gun routine a try.

I've been wanting a new Red Ryder anyway.
Posted By: Dave93 Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
At one time we lived in a somewhat rural area outside of Billings. My cats lived in the garage and I left the garage door partially open so they could come and go. We fed them and took care of their vet bills and they kept the mice away. A perfect arrangement. About a 1/2 dozen times a year a strange cat would come around and raise hell, usually in the early AM. I'd stumble out of bed with the old single shot .22 loaded with CB caps. I've shot them out of the rafters, under the car, and in the front yard. Double bag in Albertsons grocery bags and toss in garbage. Problem solved. No guilt. grin
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Had that same problems a few years back, was pissing all over the place, got the box trap out and a can of tuna, within a hour had the damn thing, was carry it to the house in the dark. and the trap slipped out of my hands and fell into the pool, didnt have a swim suit on to go retrieve it so it had to wait till morning. End of cat problem
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13

Anyway,..I caught it in a box trap and hauled it to the "cat" pound. (humane society)

I can't figure it out.

Bristoe,

This one is real quiet... cool

Most sound is bolt closing and bullet whacking meat... shocked

Shot at 50' indoor range in the attic of my garage.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
20 years ago I would have splashed it with a 12 gauge without giving it a second thought.

I guess I've become an old softy to an extent,...but one way or another, the cat has got to go.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13

I'm going to make an honest attempt to find out who owns it,...

I'd consider that a mistake as it could nullify future actions. Operation Black [cat] Ops might be compromised. smile

I like the BB gun idea. A stout load of #6s ought to do!

I'd try to convert a dog, but a cat is just pure bad.

Bob
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Pepper spray is the next step.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I can't figure it out.

Bristoe,

This one is real quiet... cool

Most sound is bolt closing and bullet whacking meat... shocked

DF

[Linked Image]

Sweet!
Originally Posted by Akbob5

I'm going to make an honest attempt to find out who owns it,...

I'd consider that a mistake as it could nullify future actions. Operation Black [cat] Ops might be compromised. smile

I like the BB gun idea. A stout load of #6s ought to do!

I'd try to convert a dog, but a cat is just pure bad.

Bob

You're right, Bob.

That would kill Bristoe's deniability... blush

It's hard not to know something about something you've been talking about... cool

DF
Posted By: bbassi Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Bristoe, I had the same problem a couple years ago. I live at the end of the dead end road and have a barn so every college girls who can't take their pet home seems to think our place is heaven for their unwanted puzzy. Wait a minute - that didn't sound quite right. whistle

Anyway - a couple years ago there was a real nice tom cat that showed up one day. He was friendly enough but we have 2 cats already so I gave him a ride back to town and let him go in yuppyville about 6.5 miles (as the crow flies) from home. I figured SOMEBODY was gunna get a real nice pet out of the deal. I swear to God that cat was back on my porch 2 days later. The wife insisted someone must have seen me dump it and brought it back, so I took it the opposite direction the next day. It was back by the end of the week....

What I'm saying is - good luck. grin

Back in the day, when I was a kid, we took care of stray dogs running in packs, attacking our calves. Feral cats met the same fate.

Today, one is likely to be arrested and then sued for no more than what we were doing 50 yrs. ago.

I'd vote for the "final solution", but Bristoe must be careful. It's dangerous out there... shocked

DF
Posted By: Higginez Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
I once had a cat problem. When leaving for work one morning, I opened the front door to spy the suspect humped up at about 10 yards. I grabbed the old Benjamin and gave her a pump. I usually keep a pump in it just to keep it sealed but I figured I'd better give it an extra just so the pellet would exit the bbl. I aimed to scare the thing off, but APPARENTLY, cat's never do what you'd expect them to do.

I aimed for her butt and squeezed one off. The damn thing hauled off dragging hind legs! I stashed the Benjamin and proceeded to work, where I confessed my dismay to a co-worker. His reply?

Him "You're fuct! You're totally fuct! You're neighbors are gonna find the pellet and CSI is gonna know it came from YOUR gun! Oh man! Oh man! It was nice knowin ya. Was that your first cat?"

Me "Yeah."

Him "It gets easier!!!"

Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Put your cats up. Locked up.

Put out anti-freeze.

Mean cat dies a slow death. Nasty, too.

Problem solved, but I'd rather it was quick.

Got to be careful these days. You could get prosecuted for killing a pet cat.
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer

Put out anti-freeze.

Yeah, those dead cats can get pretty expensive... blush

Lawyer's dream, home owner insurance nightmare. And, your homeowner insurance carrier's nightmare can quickly become your nightmare.

Just be careful...!

Or better yet, don't get caught... cool

DF
Posted By: eyeball Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13

So when it disappears (as all free range cats ultimately do) they will know who they think made it happen.

22 long cb.
Originally Posted by eyeball

So when it disappears (as all free range cats ultimately do) they will know who they think made it happen.

22 long cb.

Thinking is one thing.

Proving is another.

I'd not be worrying about what they thought, just what they could prove.

Be smart, don't get caught...!

IMHO.

DF
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13

I just don't have the heart to shoot a cat ... ... frown

I'd just put the cat in a box and shoot the box a few times.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Catch it again B. Take the damn thing and leave it at work.
Originally Posted by gemby58
Had that same problems a few years back, was pissing all over the place, got the box trap out and a can of tuna, within a hour had the damn thing, was carry it to the house in the dark. and the trap slipped out of my hands and fell into the pool, didnt have a swim suit on to go retrieve it so it had to wait till morning. End of cat problem

laugh

I've heard that cat's don't like to swim.

Guess that cage didn't help much, either... cool

DF
Posted By: bellydeep Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Catch it again and then go at it with the garden hose while it is in the box trap. Repeatedly every few hours for a day or so. I bet it doesn't come back.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Originally Posted by P_Weed

I just don't have the heart to shoot a cat ... ... frown

I'd just put the cat in a box and shoot the box a few times.

Holy kee riste! Laughin'!

Methodology...it's all about methodology.
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Catch it again and then go at it with the garden hose while it is in the box trap. Repeatedly every few hours for a day or so. I bet it doesn't come back.

That may work but probably not as effective as the pool treatment...

DF
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
If you have a garden hose handy with one of those high pressure handgun looking nozzles then every time you see it just give it a solid squirt of water and keep the hose on it until it skeedaddles out of the yard. The remedy may have to be applied a few times but hopefully the cat will associate your yard with an unpleasant experience and find a friendlier place to hang around.

This video takes your concept a bit further. It's all theory until about 4:55.

FC
Posted By: ColKlink Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Take .45 Colt or .44 Mag cases and drill out the flashholes a bit then prime them with large rifle or magnum rifle primers. Take a block of that paraffin wax used for canning and soften it by running it under hot water or putting it in the oven for a few minutes then push the cases down through to make a wax plug in the cases. You have to drill out the flash holes a little or else the primers will back out and make the cylinder hard to open.

It's quiet and if you hit them from 15 or 20 yards it will roll them but won't hurt them permanently and they won't come back, at least not for a while. I have recovered my wax "slugs" and they are mushroomed a bit with cat hair stuck on them. I keep a box in the garage for the strays that occasionally show up and bother our cats. .38 Spl and .357 cases work too but I find the bigger bores primed with rifle primers hit a whole lot harder.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Posted By: bubbajay Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
A paintball gun, with a camera, take pictures of the paint on the cat, and post signs saying to come get your cat....you may not get a picture but it would be fun to whack one with a frozen paint ball...
Posted By: smithwr Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Gamo. Solid pellets. Done. Many a dog food stealing squirrels have met their demise this way. Cats meet their demise via 2 jack Russells and one blue heeler.
Posted By: victoro Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Bristoe,
I think I'm the only one in my neighborhood that doesn't have a pet cat plus there are a lot of feral cats around here. I hate cats (plus I'm allergic to them) but I would never harm my neighbor's cats. What works good so far on my neighbors cats is catching them in a live trap and then either hosing them down good with a water hose or pouring a bucket of cold water on them before I release them. I hardly ever see them again in my yard and they run off when they see me. For the feral cats I put a couple of 2X4's parallel on the ground about 4" apart and parallel to my patio door exactly 30 feet from my dining room table where my pellet gun (sighted in at 30 ft.) is waiting in a rest. I put a can of sardines between the 2X4's and check every once in a while for feral cats. The feral cats are at least twice as big as the domestic cats and all my neighbor's cats wear collars. The feral cats always stand between the 2X4's offering a perfect head shot from the side. My next door neighbor is a cat (and dog) lover. I asked him one day if he was seeing any feral cats and he told me that they have been coming in their house through their cat's doggy door and eating all their cats food. He said he had been shooting at them with a pellet pistol. I told him I wasn't just shooting "at" them with my pellet rifle. He was glad to hear that.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Diverting a bit but as long as we're sharing cat stories (this is a true one, btw)...

Friend of mine in jr. high had two guinea pigs in a big chicken wire cage out in his back yard, Porgy and Bess were their names. One night he heard a commotion and went out to find the cage ripped into and his guineas dead.

He just knew it was a big ol' tom cat that roamed the neighborhood so he borrowed a Benjamin pump to get even. Next day he saw the cat on the front sidewalk, pumped up the Benjamin to max and let fly. It disabled the cat but didn't kill it, so he ran up, grabbed it by the tail, swung it around and smashed its brains out on the sidewalk with extreme prejudice.

Deed done and vengeance satisfied.

A couple of days after that a neighbor lady came over and said, "I'm so sorry about your guinea pigs, our German Shepard got out of our yard and killed them."

Oops!

DF

Pool treatment works, after you dump it out of the trap, you'll never see it again, if your worried about getting caught, dump it out he road and run over it with your truck, looks like it got hit by a car, works every time
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Yeah,..I hate to take it that far.

Mainly I'm just miffed.

I'm out $40 for a box trap,..a damn good can of sardines that served as bait, and a trip to the humane society,..only to find the sumbitch back in my yard,..just sleeping out there like it's lived here all his life.

I wouldn't mind if it was civil,....but it's pretty onery.

Why are you even talking about this...just kill it.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Cisco Houston sung it best! grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmRA9k55dNg
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13

Put out anti-freeze.

Yeah, those dead cats can get pretty expensive... blush

Lawyer's dream, home owner insurance nightmare. And, your homeowner insurance carrier's nightmare can quickly become your nightmare.

Just be careful...!

Or better yet, don't get caught... cool

DF
Sometimes anti-freeze leaks out when your car over heats or it can get spilled when carrying it to your care.
Posted By: Hoyt Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Next time you take him to the cat pound use this and be sure to snug him up real good.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13

I can't figure it out.

A fellow student who lived in married-student housing solved his nagging problem with an invader cat � without harming the cat. It had clawed his baby daughter in his fenced back yard. Couldn't have that again!

Just convinced the critter to not come around any more.

He ran two parallel bus wires along the top of his fence and (at night) ran juice to 'em from a receptacle in the house.

His wife unplugged the fence wire early one morning, then spotted the invader cat crossing the next-door neighbors' yard. She plugged it back in just before the cat leapt up onto the top of the fence.

The cat didn't stay there long.

It went high in the air, came down running, and never came back.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
If it is an ornery feral shoot it and plant it in the garden. Not all cats are worth keeping around.
That's exactly what kindly old Dr Ames (who "wouldn't hurt a fly") used to do, for years.

Lotta cats after "his" birds.

Rich garden.

Vegetables generously shared with neighbors.

Neighbors never suspected that kindly old man. Wondered where their cats went.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13

laugh

I've heard that cat's don't like to swim.

Guess that cage didn't help much, either... cool

DF

It was safe from shark attack though.

Posted By: KFWA Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
bottle rockets

1. it gives you an excuse to buy and shoot fireworks, and if anyone gives you any [bleep] about it should you get caught, you can use the "I'm being humane excuse"

2. Its fun to watch the cat jump 7 feet in the air. You'll get at least 3 chances to see it before he never comes back

3. its close to 4th of July. nobody will think you're f'ing with a feral cat.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Grandfather was big on box traps. Every time he caught an animal that didn't have $$$ value, he'd tie a rope about the cage and toss it into the creek.

The man never got scratch or bit once

DF

Pool treatment works, after you dump it out of the trap, you'll never see it again, if your worried about getting caught, dump it out he road and run over it with your truck, looks like it got hit by a car, works every time

Good thinking.

After drying out and after the "tire treatment", only the hairdresser will know, as they say on the TV ads... laugh

Gemby, looks like you've put some thought into this. Won't ask about your actual experiences, the NSA may be monitoring this site... shocked

DF
Originally Posted by Hoyt
Next time you take him to the cat pound use this and be sure to snug him up real good.

[Linked Image]

Too cool...

LMAO

DF
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
That's exactly what kindly old Dr Ames (who "wouldn't hurt a fly") used to do, for years.

Lotta cats after "his" birds.

Rich garden.

Vegetables generously shared with neighbors.

Neighbors never suspected that kindly old man. Wondered where their cats went.

Well, the neighbors sorta got their cats back, in kind so to speak... smile

DF

Call the agency and ask who took it. Explain the problem.
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
We got barn cats at the farm. they are mean an ornery, they kill mice and rats, and we give them a barn to stay in, and a little bit of kitty chow, the rest they an do as they please, UNLESS i see them in the woods. Then they get shot, I wont have a domestic animal that harms wildlife, and cats are hell on birds and squirrels.
Originally Posted by acooper1983
We got barn cats at the farm. they are mean an ornery, they kill mice and rats, and we give them a barn to stay in, and a little bit of kitty chow, the rest they an do as they please, UNLESS i see them in the woods. Then they get shot, I wont have a domestic animal that harms wildlife, and cats are hell on birds and squirrels.

Better get you some night goggles if you want to see them doing their "after hours" damage to wildlife... shocked

There was a documentary on that subject some time back. Pretty amazing the amount of small animals an active hunting cat can kill.

DF

DF

Good thinking.

After drying out and after the "tire treatment", only the hairdresser will know, as they say on the TV ads... laugh

Gemby, looks like you've put some thought into this. Won't ask about your actual experiences, the NSA may be monitoring this site... shocked

DF

Only one was dropped into the pool the rest was hit with a 40gr Barnes varmint gernade of out a 223, no ballistics to match with them, but they all decieded to lay down in the middle of the road to get ran over, as for the NSA would have to get a bigger trap and a deeper pool, what would I use for bait?
There was a time, in some states � long gone now, I'm sure � when hunters were allowed and game wardens required to kill cats that were marauding afield.

My late friend and associate John T, a former Arizona cowboy still in the habit of spending quiet mornings in the Utah hills, once found a cougar den surprisingly near a housing area � with more than a few cat collars around the mouth of the den.
I take a suppressed 10-22 to the deer stand, along with my big gun. I can zap coons or other pests without making a significant noise statement.

Ferel dogs and cats get the same treatment. Subsonic HP's do very well, especially with head shots.

DF
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13

Put out anti-freeze.

beyond words...
Posted By: efw Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
.22 lr is all the solution you need for that riddle.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13
Winchester 67 and CCI CB Longs will solve the problem. Very quietly.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Mean cat showed up,.. - 06/25/13

I can't figure it out.

Winchester cat food...
The older I get the more anguish I feel by any animal's suffering; that said I have't given up hunting but am much more judicious than in my gun slinging youth. That said, again, it has been confirmed that the greatest ravager of wild birds and other small wild animals is a feral cat.

I commute through Iowa countryside about 30 miles a day and it is about par for me to count about one ditch couger every five miles or so--this is on black top roads,..during the day. By dark and darker, it's one every two miles. That I see. The gravel byways produce many more. I have no idea how many there are but suspect they are like the deductions on my payroll check--nauseatingly numerous. cry grin Like the ten mice for every one you see.

Taking "all due precautions", which I feel you have already, I'd opt for the discreet, "quiet" head shot. If no pellet gun, my go-to is either a CB Short or Long (at the ranges you use them, the Short is just as good). BB Caps are more anemic but work close; they are a pain to work with as there is no shank and every third one falls out of the case. They are powered by primer only and are nice and Q U I E T. But I wouldn't use them at over ten feet away--the humane part. But these are all more quiet than even the subsonics out of an average 22 without a suppressor.

But I did not post this.
© 24hourcampfire