Home
"It's a dry heat" indeed.

This is not about working on one's tan, or catching some rays.

GTC

Link: http://azstarnet.com/news/temperatu...99aa5c5-1f75-5ea8-aa37-1018f6d93f54.html

with a high of 118 by Saturday. (AP Photo/Matt York)

June 25, 2013 3:31 pm � Associated Press

Arizona is in the grips of a dangerous heat wave that could send temperatures soaring to 118 degrees by the weekend in Phoenix, creating ripe conditions for wildfires and forcing the Border Patrol to ramp up efforts to rescue immigrants succumbing to the stifling heat while crossing the border.

The temperature in Phoenix is expected to climb through Saturday, when forecasters say the heat could set a new record. The record high for the same date in June is 117 degrees set in 1994, said meteorologist Mark O'Malley of the National Weather Service in Phoenix. The forecast for this coming Saturday currently is for 118 degrees.

"We'll certainly be challenging records this week," O'Malley said Tuesday.

The heat wave comes with a strong high-pressure system expected to build over the entire western U.S. and which will be centered over northern Arizona at its peak on Friday, the weather service says.

O'Malley said temperatures will soar through the week across Arizona, New Mexico, California, Nevada, Utah and into parts of Wyoming and Idaho, where forecasters are calling for triple-digit heat in the Boise area through the weekend.

"It's going to cover a large portion of the western United States," he said.

Officials say extra personnel have been added to the Border Patrol's Search, Trauma, and Rescue unit to assist with increasing numbers of rescues throughout the summer months as migrants crossing rugged terrain succumb to heat, exhaustion and dehydration. Several bodies of immigrants have been found in the last week in Arizona, and agents in the Tucson sector rescued more than 170 people from the desert during a 30-day stretch in May and June.

"June is the deadliest month for migrants in Arizona. It is consistently the month where most migrants die here," said Border Patrol spokesman Andy Adame. "Absolutely it's a crime to enter the United States illegally, but the penalty for that crime shouldn't be death."

O'Malley said the weather system won't help with wildfires _ either ones already burning or new ones that might pop up.

"Given we're going to have low humidity and extremely hot temperatures, and everything is already dry out there, for any fire that is ongoing or new ones that start, this could be very problematic," he said.

Temperatures in mountainous northern Arizona also are expected to approach all-time highs. The forecast in Sedona calls for the temperature to hit just one degree under the June 1990 and July 1995 records of 110 degrees.
Been in 110�+ heat a few times. "Oppressive" is a mild word for it.
Hot and dry in CO. 94 today, and I live at almost 7000ft. Everyone's lawns are brown since there hasn't even been a cloud, let alone rain in almost a month. I saw a weed in my yard actually wilted today, LOL.

Planning on shooting Saturday, better hit it early.
104 Degrees in N.Texas today. Pretty normal for July, though.

Cold front supposedly coming down this weekend. Supposed to be only 100 wink
Been on the hot side here in AK too. The dogs are just melted puddles of fur during the day. No rain for a month and the grass is crunchy underfoot.
It was 107* yesterday with 4% humidity. frown
Looks like the heat will somehow avoid NE New Mexico. Whittington will be mostly in the 70s and from the looks of it the monsoons have already started.

Will have lead in the air there inside of 36 hrs
It's gonna be a scorcher here in the Mojave Desert this weekend. 105 today, 109 tomorrow and 110 Sunday. We will have 20 mph winds to make it feel like a paint stripper.

[Linked Image]
I had a REALLY good Spring blossom and pollination cycle, and my trees set LOTS of fine young fruit.

The last couple of heat seems to be stalling em', and their hides are getting pretty leathery. I reckon they'll split, if and when the monsoon lands. Accordingly, am shopping for a crusher mill, press and 6 gallon carboys,......may as well run the stuff into wine, I guess.

The new Blackberry cultivars are looking GREAT, though.

GTC

That's only 47� Celcius . . . sounds cooler, don't it?
Here's the weather link to come back to, now 'n' then, if you're thinking about joining us here for the 9�11 August Campfire fellowship.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=87829

At something like 7,850 feet elevation (IIRC), the camp ground probably won't be such a bad place to be. If we're lucky, we should be getting some monsoon cooling before then.

And here's the link to the USFS blurb about the camp ground �

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gila/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=1962&actid=31

Might well be a good place to be, rather than Phoenix, Tucson, Dallas, or Laredo, that week-end! smile
110* here Wednesday, 107* yesterday and today.
122 tomorrow here in NW AZ. I'd better get to the lake or river.
Sorry to hear... we're looking at the next week with highs of around 83 degrees. Then it goes up to 85. Oooh...

I'll tip a cold one for y'all, but I'm gonna enjoy it! I'm sure July and August will make up for it.
Good thing I picked a good weekend to go to Vegas and play pasture pool. 113 right now. Bbq and gin & tonics is helping. Playing & @ 8:00 am. Supposed to be 117 tomorrow
we need variations in the weather. otherwise some dude would claim global warming or global cooling having arrived.

prepare for the extremes, right? wink
We brought the dogs inside our very small house to cool off...all 7 of them! eek

I have three window-mount A/C units running in all 1,100 SF. It is still hot in my office.
Sheesh! Thats gotta be brutal...

Good on ya for bringing them in to cool down.

Tuesday, it might hit 90 here. Every idiot in the area will be whining their fool azz off. Kinda amusing for this Georgia boy.
119 degrees a couple of miles down the road today.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Salmonella
[Linked Image]

someone once told me if they owned Hell and Texas, they'd opt to rent out Texas and live in the other place. wink
Yeh, it was pretty hot today. I did not do my daily bike ride this evening. It's 100 on my back porch right now as I type this (9:53 pm) It won't go below 90 until probably 3 am.

I wish I could be one of the snowbird that I cuss!
82.6 F here,.....

LOVE the High Desert !

lemme go find a sweater before I catch a chill.

GTC
I miss the mescan accent, think you can repost that?
Ees berry , berry wongerful, ang cool ryig now, and we feexing nice comida.

joo not trying screw weet me, arg joo ?

Dees days, my "Fuse" chort,.....

GTC

Lmfao! That's the scheit..
Its Bush's fault.
Just checked the current temperature here in Tucson. 4:22 am Saturday 92 degrees! First time this year it hasn't cooled down at night. Just a few days ago the low was 70. Supposed to be 109 today.

We were shooting yesterday and quit around 10:30 am with temp of 104.

It isn't too bad unless you have to do physical labor IN the sun. In the shade it is tolerable but you have to be drinking lots of liquids.

I don't envy Dennis in Phoenix!

We are very close to having the monsoon beginning! Looking forward to some rain for our quail. Big hatches this year and we should have some good hunting this fall provided we get some rain soon.

it's 91 right now in phx, and the sky looks kind of monsoony. Switched off the swamper yesterday, and went to a/c, couldn't take it any more. On the other hand, my wife is in prescott right now where it is 78 degrees.
Rode my bike this morning. Some other obligations kept me from leaving until 9:30, I made most of my loop but about 2/3s of the way through the heat just killed me. Stopped at my daughter's house to cool off. Was 106 when I got there. I won't be worth a chit all day!!

Just back from fighting a grass fire. Was 113 when I left, that thermometer was in the shade.....
Hey Jeff! Cool off and try to relax a bit. SIL and I just came in the house off the fenceline. 111F here. But cooling!!! Down to 108 now.....

We had a fire over a little west of us yesterday. Mebbe 6 miles! You be careful!

Bob
BOTH of you be careful! Old guys like you are really susceptible! grin

Seriously, Jeff, I'm glad you are out there, willing to fight fires, even in that kind of heat, but PLEASE take care of yourself!

Ed
Thanks Ed! I'm done for the day. Just a little to finish in the morning. Come see me sometime. Miss you!

Bob

Will do, Bob. Give my best to your lovely bride!

Ed
Originally Posted by rost495
Just back from fighting a grass fire. Was 113 when I left, that thermometer was in the shade.....

I hated fighting fires in full bunker gear in temps above 90. I hope you guys have the wildland gear/Nomex that we got eventually. Stay safe.
And "The Warden and I are luxuriating in Northern IL, where the high today was 64, as far as I can tell.
They've had more rain the last 2 days than I've had in NM all year!
Enjoy that dry heat" for me guys - I miss it! NOT!

Mark
113 is what the car read as we were driving to my brother in laws house in Marana.
I used the water hose on the dog this morning to help keep him cool. He liked it.
Seeing some clouds now but i suspect they are just teasing us.

Kique
An even 100 degrees here in and around Boise, ID right now.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by rost495

I hated fighting fires in full bunker gear in temps above 90. I hope you guys have the wildland gear/Nomex that we got eventually. Stay safe.

We even just got new gear a few months ago, not a jumpsuit but tops and bottoms.... you can vent a bit there at least. We took care of todays mostly out of a truck for knockdown though I had to grab a red line and run a bit on foot to get it away from a barn when we first got there. It was just a few feet away already.

What I don't care for all summer is wrecks. I refuse to wear my wild land gear thats rated for extrication. Too many times we go and on the way it turns into a vehicle fire also.... so I grab my bunker gear and gear up full on regardless.

OF course thats not as bad as a house fire, but then we dont' have those very often. Only had one minor one this year, dryer fire we got out instantly. But we do have a lot of wrecks on Friday and Sunday evenings due to traffic going back and forth from Austin to Houston mostly.
Was about 106 in Austin. Cold front coming in tonite - 98 tomorrow. Says 92 Tuesday - Woo-Hoo!!
123 right now, and a bit humid, so its real miserable outside! AC don't fail me now!!! wink
Nice here today.

Not too hot (I didn't note the � � upper 70s to lower 80s, probably).

Just enough sprinkle to get shirts ready to iron.

Elk under the big elm in the front yard.

Could be worse.
The west wall of the house measured by laser thermometer up to 175 degrees on the outside surface a little bit ago.
60 and raining in Libby Montana, almost needed a jacket. It was almost 80 at home in Kalispell later in the afternoon.
We had a front come in this afternoon finally. Dropped to 105!
[Linked Image]
Jeff! Get any of that rain Early this morning???Lots of thunder and lightning over at this end of the county. If we go half inch we're lucky. But we'll take it!! Will make for some pleasantly high humidity this afternoon.
1\2 inch in Austin. 72 degrees.
76 in beautiful Utley on da river!
I was driving home from a party last night about 9 pm and it was 111�, way to hot for that time of night!
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=87829

That wee green dot just inside NM from AZ looks to me like it's just west of us. Hope it comes here and stays a while.
Yep, we got rain. 0.12 inches of it. Made a mad dash to Georgetown around 5 this morning to pick up a fridge, got a bit wet going and coming in a few spots.

Noticed after I got back in from a wreck call after midnight last night, we were still at 89.5 outside.

Not AZ by a long shot, but thats to warm for my tastes.

Didn't even look at temps today yet. Supposed to be 96. Still overcast. VERY humid after the wife and I moving a new fridge in, having the 2 almost kiss in the kitchen but now have new one plugged in and old one. Just wait for temps to get right and swap stuff as we have time.
I hope so, too, Dr Howell. All of NM needs rain, badly.

Mark
I saw that the forecast for Death Valley is 130+F.

130! Yikes.
Crap, hard to know where to begin here,......after Sundown of a BAD day here in the Desert S.W.

PRAYER requested, folks,......you know the drill.

GTC

1 hour ago � Veronica M. Cruz Arizona Daily Star

Crews are battling a 40-acre fire on Mount Lemmon, possibly caused by a lightning strike.

The fire is burning near an area known as Prison Camp, just west of milepost 8 on Catalina Highway, said Heidi Schewel, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Forest Service.

Two fire engines, three crews and several firefighters are battling the blaze.

Link: http://azstarnet.com/news/local/acea9b40-e1ee-11e2-b0cd-001a4bcf887a.html

Dust Storm Warning issued in Tucson

The National Weather Service has issued a severe dust storm warning in Tucson.

People are advised to avoid travel until 9 p.m.

Link: http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/22727416/severe-thunderstorm-alert-for-tucsons-east-side-and-vail

Severe Thunderstorm Alert Issued for E. Tucson and Vail

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued by the National Weather Service for Tucson's East side and the town of Vail. The warning is in effect until 6:30 p.m. Sunday.

Link: http://www.kvoa.com/news/fire-burning-in-catalina-mountains/

Breaking,....fire in the Catalina Mountains

TUCSON- Firefighters are on scene of a 40 acre fire near Prison Camp Road off Catalina Highway.

Heidi Schewel with the Forest Service says the Prison Fire is burning in light fuel.

Two engines are on scene and another three crews have been ordered.

Bad deal Greg, prayers for you all down there brother.
I remember that real bad one at Mt Lemon about 10 years ago? Beautiful country that.
Originally Posted by Elf
Been on the hot side here in AK too. The dogs are just melted puddles of fur during the day. No rain for a month and the grass is crunchy underfoot.

yes m'am ole Thunder got his first ever haircut this year and he needed it as he's a mixed breed, part dog, part muskox

even after cutting off his long guard hairs and taking the quivit down as low as I dared, you can't get any water to penetrate by pouring it upon him or spraying him. If he was in a pond for an hour his skin might get wet!

but we've had a few rains, the yard looks pretty good other than a few dry patches, mowed it for like the 4th or 5th time this evening

I've done -60 and done 104 both F, cross and his ilk are a tougher breed than me

118 skeers me, hope my friend in SW get some relief and soon!
in fact we pulled outa here this weekend due to heat and smoke from wildfires, went to the Alaska Range, Tangle Lakes, where it was a more manageable 70 above instead of 86 here in FBKS.

no smoke in the air either, and thankfully we came home to clear air in FBKS....for now

but fire season is in full swing
More frown

link:

Well, CRAP!

no "link", no "Official" story or news release regarding a fire that's been going for DAYS now, right over the Huachucas to my S.W.

Like the Monument Fire,....started by dope runners from the South, right below the line.

Musn't upset folks in the midst of WELCOMING this sorta' treatment, must We ? mad .

I'll bird dog this a bit.

GTC
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/01/19-firefighters-killed-battling-arizona-blaze/

Your fire just got way more serious.

Other than that I am at a complete loss for words. Prayers and condolences to the families.

Alan
© 24hourcampfire