Home
total, and utter insanity.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ProductListing.aspx?catid=490
I still don't understand how 22LR of all cartridges would be so dang expensive? Crazy for sure.
Even folks like Natchez Shooters Supply are asking $40 for a 525 box of Remington .22 LR bulk.
Don't buy them at their price. It maybe a long while before I buy something from cheaper than dirt. Who do they think they are?
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
total, and utter insanity.

$60.00 for 100 mini mags. shocked

I've never bought from them, won't start now.
Calling it their super low prices , i must be sitting on a Gold Mine with all the 22 ammo i have .
As long as the schitheads keep lining up and buying up all the ammo before it even hits the shelves, this will continue.

As long as dumbschits keep clicking the "buy now" button on these idiot's websites, it will continue.

The ammo shortage now is much like the "gas shortage" of the 70's where it was revealed that there were millions upon millions of gallons in reserve.

There is no ammo shortage, just people taking advantage of a situation, and low-life's taking advantage of the idiots willing to pay that kind of money for ammo.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
As long as the schitheads keep lining up and buying up all the ammo before it even hits the shelves, this will continue.

As long as dumbschits keep clicking the "buy now" button on these idiot's websites, it will continue.

The ammo shortage now is much like the "gas shortage" of the 70's where it was revealed that there were millions upon millions of gallons in reserve.

There is no ammo shortage, just people taking advantage of a situation, and low-life's taking advantage of the idiots willing to pay that kind of money for ammo.

# 1

This post nails it on the head

Exactly. If idiots would just not pay the scalper's prices, there would soon not be any scalpers. Dont know why people cant understand that.
Won't buy anything from them.

Today i spent all my free money for parts to repair 2 Atlas lathes,a 12 and a 10 inch.

Can't wait for those parts to get here.

might have to sell some 22's if more parts are needed later with prices as high as some are willing to pay.
Cheaper than Dirt? Didn't know their dirt was high-grade gold ore.
Eff them.
I unsubscribed from their email ads based on their prices and what I was reading here. More power to them if they can find people stupid enough to rape, and apparently there's no shortage.
I unsubscribed from their email ads based on their prices and what I was reading here.

I can't understand why people even go to their website. Just so they can come here and bitch, I guess. miles
i was in Prescott AZ this weekend and cheapo Remington RF was $16/100 I told him he's on crack.

ML
Originally Posted by milespatton
I unsubscribed from their email ads based on their prices and what I was reading here.

I can't understand why people even go to their website. Just so they can come here and bitch, I guess. miles

as so often happens Miles, you guess wrong. laugh
59.99 for a box of 100...

When I bought my 17 HMR I knew the ammo would cost more than 22lr... but thanks to Cheaper Than Dirt I'm paying less than idiots would pay for that.. grin
Just in general - to no one in particular----- that's why it's prudent to stock up BEFORE the prices go through the roof... But loads of supplies when things are cheap - and ya won't have to pay through the nose when they're expensive..

Simple.. laugh
Sad part is, now might be the stock up prices.
5 years on...."why didn't I buy them when they were only a buck a piece"
Kinda like gas prices, what is the new normal (ceiling)?
I know what mine is, but stranger things have happened.

You tell em Miles.
Amazing the number of people who really don't understand supply and demand. I see a lot of "XX has YY cheaper when they have it in stock". Think about that for a minute. The reason CTD has it in stock is because the price is higher. If you need it, buy it. It's pretty much that simple.

If CTD had lower prices they would be out of stock like everyone else and then you would just gripe you couldn't find it.
There's a ammo shortage? Really? Wtf?
all of the rimfire ammo producers are making more now than at any one time in their history and they can't keep up? i'm sorry but i hate to admit it but i just might have to strap on a tinfoil hat on this one. it just doesn't add up. someone or some group has to be pulling something. i just hope this issue cleans its self up soon. heck its almost to the point where a guy can shoot centerfire cheaper than rimfire (TIC)
I still don't see why it's that difficult to understand. Even people who don't shoot often are picking up .22 when they find it. Tons of people who normally shoot a lot of rifle such as the AR crowd are picking up tons of .22 to shoot beacuse it's cheaper than 5.56 right now and you can get a conversion to shoot it in your AR.

Now throw in all the people who already shoot .22 and it adds up to a crapload of demand. It self feeds. You might not even need .22 but if you go to the shop and there's no .22 for 3 months and then one day you are in there and they have some you pick up "just in case" because you haven't seen any in months and go home and put it next to the stack of .22 you already own.
Cheaper Than Dirt is not someone I would ever want to do business with; that just confirms it. Hey, if people want to pay that, they're welcome to do it. I see it as VERY counter-productive. As long as idiots pay it, the ammo crunch will continue.

The best thing the shooting community can do is take 6 months off and just don't buy anything more than the occasional box of ammo. Let the industry get the message. But if consumption doesn't drop off, this lunacy will continue.

What dirt are they comparing their prices to? Probably the dirt on Martha's Vineyard seacoast.
as so often happens Miles, you guess wrong.

OK, you tell me why you would go to their website when you know the price is way higher than you are willing to pay. miles
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

The best thing the shooting community can do is take 6 months off and just don't buy anything more than the occasional box of ammo. Let the industry get the message.

It's not the industry that is creating the problem.

It is the $7.00 an hour Wal-Mart employee that pockets a $50 bill every time he calls Joe Blow to come intercept the ammo shipment of the day...

It is scalpers buying the ammo after the tip about the shipment to Wal-Mart.

It is the hoarders that won't let the ammo hit the shelf, even though they had to go buy another portable building to store it in so they can sell it for $60 per 100 on Gun Broker.

It is retailers that allow the supply to be bought by low-life's before it goes on the shelves.

It is the panic buyers that feel like the ammo will never be avl. again.

It is Obama and his minions.

Until it calms down, and demand is squelched, it will continue.

I do feel like the ammo manufacturers are producing all they can. Why not? I mean it's not like there are no orders for ammo...

I'm surprised that the insanity has lasted this long with not many signs of the problem correcting itself. It may continue until Obama and his like are out of office. I hope not, but it may...
as so often happens Miles, you guess wrong.

OK, you tell me why you would go to their website when you know the price is way higher than you are willing to pay. miles

because, Miles, I was not looking for .22 ammo in the first place. I was looking to see if there was a deal on MREs. While there, I took a look at, first, some .38 Special and some .30 carbine. No deals there either. At THAT point, and just for grins, I took a peek at the .22 LR stuff.

Now, do you need a run down on anything else I was doing today? I mean, I went to the grocery store, my business, AAA to get some maps..........
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
all of the rimfire ammo producers are making more now than at any one time in their history and they can't keep up? i'm sorry but i hate to admit it but i just might have to strap on a tinfoil hat on this one. it just doesn't add up. someone or some group has to be pulling something. i just hope this issue cleans its self up soon. heck its almost to the point where a guy can shoot centerfire cheaper than rimfire (TIC)

I have to think this way as well. Stores used to have bricks of .22 stacked to the roof. Now there are none. It stretches credulity to believe that all those manufactures, and the importers that bring in the RIO, the Aquila and other imports, just can't produce enough for a little spike in demand.
When the smoke clears, we may get the truth some day. The truth won't include 'we can't keep up with demand'. That is BS.
Kevin, so you suggest that we go for 6 months unarmed? I think that is what your president wants to happen.
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

The best thing the shooting community can do is take 6 months off and just don't buy anything more than the occasional box of ammo. Let the industry get the message.

It's not the industry that is creating the problem.

It is the $7.00 an hour Wal-Mart employee that pockets a $50 bill every time he calls Joe Blow to come intercept the ammo shipment of the day...

It is scalpers buying the ammo after the tip about the shipment to Wal-Mart.

It is the hoarders that won't let the ammo hit the shelf, even though they had to go buy another portable building to store it in so they can sell it for $60 per 100 on Gun Broker.

It is retailers that allow the supply to be bought by low-life's before it goes on the shelves.

It is the panic buyers that feel like the ammo will never be avl. again.

It is Obama and his minions.

Until it calms down, and demand is squelched, it will continue.

I do feel like the ammo manufacturers are producing all they can. Why not? I mean it's not like there are no orders for ammo...

I'm surprised that the insanity has lasted this long with not many signs of the problem correcting itself. It may continue until Obama and his like are out of office. I hope not, but it may...
Well all of that requires a buyer...and we would be best off if such buyers took a few months off. That's what I'm getting at.

It doesn't matter if there is some great conspiracy in how the ammo is obtained. The issue is the demand. We need to lessen the demand, and everything will come back to normal.

But as long as demand is irrational and unreasonable, then prices and supply will follow suit.
Now, do you need a run down on anything else I was doing today? I mean, I went to the grocery store, my business, AAA to get some maps..........

Well, I guess that you could explain your need to try and be a horses ass. miles

Well, I guess that you could explain your need to try and be a horses ass. miles

no problem 'splaning that aspect Miles. All was good until you showed YOUR azz. laugh Now, have we insulted each other enough? Can we move on?
Some of you need to hang out on the larger gun forums like AR15.COM and see when someone post that a site or retailer has .22 in stock. It literally takes seconds for a thousand people to see the thread and instantly order everything they have or drive down there and pick it up. Nothing more than never before seen demand.

Another retailer posted they had 3 sea containers full of imported ammo and posted pics. They sold out (3) 40' containers in less than 2 minutes after the post.

Lots of demand from people you may or may not hang around.
Bought some CCI HP LR for $6 last week
some years it pays to stock up on plywood

some years .22 ammo

wish I could figure it out the year before instead of the year after

we damn sure better hope the Chinese don't start plinking (gulp)
I think the Chinese make our plywood now because the EPA determined the bonding agent was not safe for American workers. Same thing goes for black pipe (gas). They coat it in China because it's not safe for use to do so.
So we text and drive.....
All was good until you showed YOUR azz.

I expect you was one before you ever heard of me. miles

Eley tenex is only 7 dollars per box of fifty higher than a reputable dealer I use. CTD can go to hell before I ever buy a thing from them.
All was good until you showed YOUR azz.

I expect you was one before you ever heard of me. miles

well then, let me stay in character , with a hearty '[bleep] you'. laugh
I never used to keep more than 1 brick of regualar 22 on hand because it was always available and cheap. Match grade is another story. However, I got caught short with the rush and ran out for several months and will not let it happen again. I will not let that happen again!

Now I have 8 bricks on hand that I have been able to buy relatively cheap. Guess that is a debatable term today. smile

I would imagine that there are many more like me that have been stocking up and I will buy at least another 3-4 bricks IF I can find them at reasonable prices. Maybe in another 6 months the dust will settle when we have all stocked up and prices come down.

BH
As said in the article I posted about the Great Ammo Shortage of 2013.. I'll bet the guys who run "Cheaper that Schitt" will go under after this is all over...

because I bet they will embrace the fact that few people will have any desire to do business with them...

I have never had the desire to do business with them in the first place because all they sold was pretty much crap...

I'd laugh if these clowns got busted for violating some federal law.. people and companies like this deserved to be burned...
Most of these SOB's are the same. You run into a few honest ones that don't gouge you. Those are the guys you need to remember and do business when this BS is all over.
Couple months back I sent CTD an email and told them they were price gouging SOBs and could shove their schit up there arses.
I have gunbot's .22 page bookmarked and I check it every morning. Midway has had .22 ammo available at least once a week and they aren't screwing anybody over. You can only buy one brick a day of any kind of ammo and it's $16 shipping. I've bought Federal Automatch, Eley Club, and Aguila for $40 to $50 a brick. I have a couple things to add to each order so it hasn't been bad. One day they had Aguila ammo, and I got a brick of standard, one of target, and one of of sniper subsonic. It was well worth the $16 shipping. Once I added 250 rounds of .308 range brass to the order. It's not that bad. I can shoot on the weekends with my friends.
© 24hourcampfire