Home
http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/1371546530h9xmrh0gvu7

Governor Perry signs law Repealing Switchblade Ban in Texas. Effective Sept. 1st 2013

First I've heard of this. Any other Texas Campfire Members heard about this ?

Guess I'll be shopping for a new "automatic" ! Any brand reccomendations ?

I'm leaning towards a Benchmade or ProTech OTF Model.
Oh about a month ago.

Going to get a out the front switchblade as was used in the 60's.

Why I don't know, have 50 or so knives. Well maybe 20/30.
http://www.pvk.com/webcat/ProTechGodfatherwMapleBurlinlayBKSF.shtml

I'm kinda leaning toward this one since I want a Stilletto Style blade.
Any recommendations on Knife Retailers on the best prices or which on-line Knife Dealers are reputable to deal with?

Somewhere, I've still got a cheap ass Meskin Switchblade I bought in Acouna, Mexico when I was 16 for I think $3 Damn thing wouldn't cut hot butter !
I wouldn't cross the frickin Border down there for a Million Dollars, nowadays eek
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/1371546530h9xmrh0gvu7

Governor Perry signs law Repealing Switchblade Ban in Texas. Effective Sept. 1st 2013

First I've heard of this. Any other Texas Campfire Members heard about this ?

Guess I'll be shopping for a new "automatic" ! Any brand reccomendations ?

I'm leaning towards a Benchmade or ProTech OTF Model.
They're legal in Florida, too, and can be carried concealed with a concealed weapon permit. Been that way at least since I've lived here starting in the late 1980s. Not sure if they've ever been illegal here. All they are are folding knives that can be opened with one hand. Hard to imagine how they got outlawed anywhere to start with. Main advantage is for when one of your hands is disabled or occupied with something else.
been ordering them for years....trh may need several to go with his nun chucks
It did seem pretty stupid to outlaw automatic knives in a state where you can carry a gun, but I don't know anyone who has been hassled about it before they repealed it. A folding auto seems like alot of expense for very little benefit, think I'll get an out-the-front. I've always had Benchmade knives, but am not too impressed with their Infidel, like my brother has. Thinking of buying a Microtech Troodon or Ultratech for myself to celebrate, maybe?
Originally Posted by RyeDaddy
Don't know anyone who has been hassled about it before they repealed it. I've always had Benchmade knives, but am not too impressed woth their Infidel. A folding auto seems like alot of expense for very little benefit, think I'll get an out-the-front. Thinking of buying a Microtech Troodon for myself to celebrate, maybe?
A friend of mine has an out the front that's pretty cool.
http://nicnac.net/

This one on top is nice.
This ProTech Doru is a fine auto for pocket carry.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by eh76
been ordering them for years....trh may need several to go with his nun chucks

Who do you usually order from ?
It did pretty stupid to outlaw automatuc knives in a state where you can carry a gun, but I don't know anyone who has been hassled about it before they repealed it. A folding auto seems like alot of expense for very little benefit, think I'll get an out-the-front. I've always had Benchmade knives, but am not too impressed with their Infidel, like my brother has. Thinking of buying a Microtech Troodon or Ultratech for myself to celebrate, maybe?

I've always carried folders made by BenchMade or Spderco. I've looked at a few of the Benchmade Auto models here locally & haven't been two impressed.
One of my LE buddies carrys a Protec OTF Model with the double edged Dagger style blade that is opens so fast that it seems like the blade just appears out of thin air! Damn Fast & slicker than greased goose [bleep]. Seems to have a really solid lockup & also has a lock or saftey button to keep it from opening in your pocket. So I'm thinking maybe an OTF model for weak side carry.

Always thought the SwitchBlade law was really stupid anyways. I've been Legally carrying a Pistol for 20 years now, but a auto opening or SwitchBlade Knife was Illegal.WTF ?
Just more political correctness BS, IMHO Ever LEO I know has carried switchblades for years. Of Course, nobody would file on those guys for "illegal" carry cool
I must be wrong, but I thought there was a federal ban on switchblades?

Myron
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
It did pretty stupid to outlaw automatuc knives in a state where you can carry a gun, but I don't know anyone who has been hassled about it before they repealed it. A folding auto seems like alot of expense for very little benefit, think I'll get an out-the-front. I've always had Benchmade knives, but am not too impressed with their Infidel, like my brother has. Thinking of buying a Microtech Troodon or Ultratech for myself to celebrate, maybe?

I've always carried folders made by BenchMade or Spderco. I've looked at a few of the Benchmade Auto models here locally & haven't been two impressed.
One of my LE buddies carrys a Protec OTF Model with the double edged Dagger style blade that is opens so fast that it seems like the blade just appears out of thin air! Damn Fast & slicker than greased goose [bleep]. Seems to have a really solid lockup & also has a lock or saftey button to keep it from opening in your pocket. So I'm thinking maybe an OTF model for weak side carry.

Always thought the SwitchBlade law was really stupid anyways. I've been Legally carrying a Pistol for 20 years now, but a auto opening or SwitchBlade Knife was Illegal.WTF ?
Just more political correctness BS, IMHO Ever LEO I know has carried switchblades for years. Of Course, nobody would file on those guys for "illegal" carry cool

LEO's and I believe current military were and are legal in Texas. Just you peons were not. Can't trust you man. Yes I'm a peon also.
That's because it hasn't been illegal for cops in Texas.

Either way, it's a stupid prohibition and I'm glad to see it gone.
bladehq.com has afew the shrade and smith and wesson are real good and dont break the bank done biz with them for many years f.y.i the americans with disabilities act allows any one too carry one if you can not open a regular folding knife.
and are disabled.
Good news indeed, But i'd still rather point and click instead of click and point. wink
Surprisingly enough Alaska even had a law that banned switch-blades and gravity knives. Our's was repealed this year too, although I can't really recall it ever being enforced.

Of course dumb laws should be repealed. I never understood the ban on switch-blade/auto-openers. More damage can be done with a fixed blade anyway.
I don't know about switchblades, but Bladematrix.com is a great place to shop. Mostly mail order, but have a small storefront in Cincinnati OH. I have only bought from them a couple of times, but service was great.
They seem to carry about anything that cuts.

Myron
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Good news indeed, But i'd still rather point and click instead of click and point. wink

No Doubt! I'll take my 1911 over a knife any old day. But I also like quality high quality & custom knifes nearly as much as I like quality handguns. It will be nice to have another knife option to carry for a change. Stupid Ass law anyways cool
Originally Posted by speedsixman

Myron

You can't really mail them. That's about as far as they took it.
I just got in a protech tr-4. Was gonna go with another model but design just didn't work for me. TR-4 has a button lock which I like over the TR-3. From what I've read the protech's are supposed to be some of the most favored autos unless you go custom. Will be ridin' with me come Sept. 1st.
Originally Posted by speedsixman

Myron

There is a Federal ban on the importation of switchblades.Legality of ownership is a State thing.
Thanks to RyanScott and Huntz for the info.

Myron
© 24hourcampfire