Home
but you guys out of the South need to learn how to speak properly. Just got a call from GFY and it only took him 3-4 tries at pronouncing his name before I figured out just who he was. If he had spoken his name properly I'd have figured it out right away. Anybody who needs help please don't hesitate to let me know. smile

Really, how hard can it be?
"They" do talk funny, don't they.
I am crying from laughter right now....

Travis
They are a funny breed. Took me a while to figure out that their barbequing something did not involve any type of sauce or smoke, merely a grill. Also, they talk about getting a deer "last night" with no mention of a spotlight. Turns out that they actually mean "yesterday evening".
oofdah.

Heck

I type funny

Snake
Travis is a Yankee? WTFO
I've pointed this one out before. 1967, we were traveling to visit friends in the southeast. Dad came back from a travel information booth and said that the person there said that we should definitely visit "Icefield". After long inspection of the map and much discussion, we decided to swing over to Ashville.
I have enough trouble translating from Ross County Oh HI ya...
When a waitress asked is you want: "Frahs'r'rahs" you know you're in the south.
Originally Posted by MColeman
but you guys out of the South need to learn how to speak properly. Just got a call from GFY and it only took him 3-4 tries at pronouncing his name before I figured out just who he was. If he had spoken his name properly I'd have figured it out right away. Anybody who needs help please don't hesitate to let me know. smile

Is Montana Yankee, or just Westerner...?

DF
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Travis is a Yankee? WTFO

This ^^^^^

Also, try talking to some of those fellas from down under. "Hey, can you put those tires in the boot." huh? "You know in the back." huh? "where the spare tire and jack goes" oh, you mean in the trunk? "Yeah, the boot!"

Jesus H!!

And what is it they call the roof? The bonnet or something (gay) like that? LOL! crazy laugh

Bob
When a cop ask to see your "driminlisem"

A $50 spot would do me good. PM for my address. wink
That was a funny conversation Mickey and I had.

I usually go by my last name, especially at work, and people outside of work rarely contact me. I hate voicemail, so I don't have it. I just check for missed calls and call them back. I had my phone charging all morning, so when I grabbed it around noon, I started going through my missed calls. One of which was Mickey.

"This is -----, you called me?"

"Who?"

"-----"

"I'm sorry, but I just have no idea who this is."

"You called my phone, this is -----. (then the accent thing rang a bell) Wait a minute, is this Mickey?"

"Why yes it is."

"This is Travis!"

"Oh, what were you saying?"

"-----"

"Frockle?"

"No! -----!"

"Frog?"

"NO! -----!"

"You people really need to learn how to speak."

"YOU people really need to learn how to speak!"

Still laughin'....

Travis
Originally Posted by northern_dave
oofdah.

dontcha know eh? laugh
Guy from Maine just got hired where I work.

I work with another guy from Breathitt County who doesn't have any teeth. He's got dentures, but he only uses them on Sunday.

A man could sell tickets to an attempted conversation between those two.
Originally Posted by JPro
They are a funny breed. Took me a while to figure out that their barbequing something did not involve any type of sauce or smoke, merely a grill. .

lol
He was saying 'Frahst' when he should been saying 'Frawst'.

When my daughter, Melanie, was getting married her future in-laws were at the house. I had planted some peanuts just for our consumption (eating) and asked them if they would like some boiled peanuts. My SIL's father leaned over to him and asked, "What's a bald peanut?" Gary said, "No, Dad. He said b-o-i-l-e-d peanuts."

They steadfastly maintained they were not Yankess--they were MidWesterners. Don't know what somebody from Montana is.......
Originally Posted by Kaleb
They are a funny breed. Took me a while to figure out that their barbequing something did not involve any type of sauce or smoke, merely a grill. .

lol

I'm not sure about that. I grew up in IL and everybody I knew called it a grill. And if it were a "BBQ" they usually called it a smoker.

But here in MT they throw that BBQ around a LOT. As in an $80.00 gas grill for cooking hot dogs. "I'm gonna BBQ."

Drives me nuts.

Travis
There's a big difference between Asscream and Icecream too.
You are delicate, I'll give you that.

1flier
they really [bleep] you up when you run acrossed one of em in a ticket booth with that eyeball that's lookin toward ohio and the other one is lazy lookin down toward arkansas

they momma prolly smoked when they was in the womb
My wife has a hard time understanding what i say and she is always correcting me and says i should have learned English while in school , she hates my hillbilly vocabulary. I just laugh at her when she complains
Originally Posted by deflave

lol

I'm not sure about that. I grew up in IL and everybody I knew called it a grill. And if it were a "BBQ" they usually called it a smoker.

But here in MT they throw that BBQ around a LOT. As in an $80.00 gas grill for cooking hot dogs. "I'm gonna BBQ."

Drives me nuts.

Travis

lol

I have a good friend in Huson outside missoula that we go visit some. I give him heck about bbq'ing hotdogs and burger. Course its funny too when his kids keep asking us questions just to laugh at how we talk. Its all good.
Where do you put something when they say "rat cheer"?

And why would kids go to "skull"? smile

lol

Drives me nuts.

Travis

Illinois? I don't even know who you are anymore.
Originally Posted by bea175
My wife has a hard time understanding what i say and she is always correcting me and says i should have learned English while in school , she hates my hillbilly vocabulary. I just laugh at her when she complains

That's funny, considering.
But yall do talk kinda funny over there
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I work with another guy from Breathitt County who doesn't have any teeth. He's got dentures, but he only uses them on Sunday.

TFF and I understand completely. Last job had one guy that is as Cajun as you've ever heard and another guy from England. I've watched the two for 10 minutes to get one sentence through.
Originally Posted by Raeford

I talk Graysontown
Originally Posted by Raeford

I talk Graysontown

And her??
Christiansburgian? grin

When my daughter, Melanie, was getting married her future in-laws were at the house. I had planted some peanuts just for our consumption (eating) and asked them if they would like some boiled peanuts. My SIL's father leaned over to him and asked, "What's a bald peanut?" Gary said, "No, Dad. He said b-o-i-l-e-d peanuts."

They steadfastly maintained they were not Yankess--they were MidWesterners. Don't know what somebody from Montana is.......

I consider midwestern folk to be a bit different than east coast yankees, because I usually can't understand what the [bleep] they're saying either.

Travis

Now you understand why I always take the high road and try my best to be polite.

Travis
Mickey - I think it's called "projection"!! But that's ok! smile

LMAO!

Bob
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Travis is a Yankee? WTFO

This ^^^^^

Also, try talking to some of those fellas from down under. "Hey, can you put those tires in the boot." huh? "You know in the back." huh? "where the spare tire and jack goes" oh, you mean in the trunk? "Yeah, the boot!"

Jesus H!!

And what is it they call the roof? The bonnet or something (gay) like that? LOL! crazy laugh

Bob

Like "the ammo is in the jockey box?"

Travis

Now you understand why I always take the high road and try my best to be polite.

Travis

That-I understood. Funny as chit but understood.
Kamo Gari will probably never speak to me again, but this video cracks me up.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sTPwz25VmBU&t=0[/video]
that was funny Scott! grin
I live and work in the south, thankfully I do not have a southern accent of any sort. When any person does have a thick southern draw, I immediately infer they are less intelligent. Perhaps a flaw on my part.

Of note, no 'higher-up' in my workplace has a dialect or southern-draw about them.
A Brit asked John Kieran why Americans pronounce it "skedule" and Brits say "shedule."

"We're products of different shool systems."
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
I live and work in the south, thankfully I do not have a southern accent of any sort. When any person does have a thick southern draw, I immediately infer they are less intelligent. Perhaps a flaw on my part.

Of note, no 'higher-up' in my workplace has a dialect or southern-draw about them.

Well I can tell you Mickey is smarter than I am. That's why I send him my problems. Along with a check.

Travis
Originally Posted by eh76
that was funny Scott! grin

There's dozens of those videos on Youtube.

When I was billing out trucks at Wilson Foods, I had a very irate driver from Boston who had been promised a load for Boston but instead was slated for Florida or somewhere. He asked if he could use my phone to call his dispatcher. I'll not try to type, "I thought you said I had a load for Boston, you dirty bastard!" to match his speech, but I loved listening to it.
When I went back to south Alabama (not far from Mickey) to teach after many years elsewhere, I noticed two things that were very striking �

� The new Southern drawl was remarkably different from the old Southernspeak that I'd grown-up with.

� I could easily understand black kids who couldn't understand each other.
At least once every class period, I had to translate something that one kid said, and another kid had to ask me "Whah'd ee say, Mist' How'?"
("What did he say, Mister Howell?" was easy.)
That Boston Clip reminds me of a girl who came out to Ory-Gun from Sandy Hook, NJ: She told me that she gotten "Puz in her PS DS". So I dis not take her up on her drunken affections.

Sadly, I later learned that she was talking about a small pimple in her pierced ears.

cry

BMT

Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Where do you put something when they say "rat cheer"?

And why would kids go to "skull"? smile

I always put it rat dare. smile

OK, so who iss diss here "Ahhwll", dat all you guys form Texas an OK are lookin for here, anyway?

You mean, " Y'all "? Even my I-pad knows that one.

lol

Drives me nuts.

Travis

With Cajuns, "grilled" means you can still see the "Plymouth" indent on the meat, as in fresh road kill... shocked

Dey cook dat meat, don't cull much... cool

DF

Naw, dat's everyone. Deeze guys iss drillin in da ground.
The word oil doesn't include the forner-added phoneme "-ul," so we who know how to pronounce it right say "aw-il," not "aw-i-ul." Tone-deaf ignoramuses who miss hearing the "-ul" hear only "awl."

We don't say "sawerit" for saw it or "Cuber" for Cuba, either.
Wadja spekt?
Here is how to speak when in Pennsylvania

For those who think we Pennsylvanians 'talk funny' or use 'big words', here's why ...

Once a Pennsylvanian, ALWAYS a Pennsylvanian!

I remember when I first left Coaldale and relocated in Pottstown. People would always tell me I had a "coal region" accent. It drove me crazy. I didn't think I had an accent. I thought everyone else who wasn't from the coal regions had an accent.

For instance

We call it lunch meat, used as a noun. Almost everywhere else it's called "cold cuts".

More about Pennsylvanians and coal region people in particular: You've never referred to Philadelphia asanything but 'Philly' and New Jersey has always been ' Jersey .'

We don't go to the beach we go 'down the shore.'

You refer to Pennsylvania as 'PA' (pronounced Pee-Ay).

How many other states do that?

'You guys' (or even 'youze guys', in some places) is a perfectlyacceptable referenceto a group of men and women.

You know how to respond to the question 'Djeetyet?'(Did you eat yet?)

You know that the Iggles play football and so do the Stillers.

You learned to pronounce Bryn Mawr, Wilkes-Barre, Schuylkill, thePoconos, Tamaqua,Kutztown, Tunkahannock, Bala Cynwyd, Kishacoquillas,Duquesne and Monongahela, also Conshohocken.

And we know Lancaster is pronounced Lank-ister, notLan-kaster.

Youknow what a 'Mummer' is, and are disappointed if you can't catch at least highlights of theparade.

Atleast five people on your block have electric 'candles' in all or most of their windows all year long.

You know what a 'State Store' is, and your out-of-state friends find it incredulous that you can't purchase liquor at the mini-mart.

Wordslike 'hoagie,' 'crick,' 'chipped ham,' 'dippy eggs', 'sticky buns,' 'shoo-fly pie,' 'lemon sponge pie', 'pierogies' and 'pocketbook' actually mean something to you. (By the way, that last one's PA slang for a purse!)

You not only have heard of Birch Beer, but you know it comes in several colors.

You know the difference between a cheese steak and a pizza steak sandwich, and you know that you also can't get a really good one anywhere outside of the Philly area. (Except maybein Atlantic City on the boardwalk.)

You proudly tell people you live near the nation's oldest brewery (Yuengling in Pottsville) and that it's more than 180 years old. How do you know? You read the label while you were drinking one.

You know that Blue Ball, Intercourse, Paradise, Climax, Bird-in-Hand, Beaver, Moon, Virginville, Mars, Bethlehem, Hershey, Indiana, Sinking Spring, Jersey Shore, State College, Washington Crossing, Jim Thorpe, King of Prussia, Wind Gap, and Slippery Rock are all PA towns ... and the first three were consecutive stops on the old Reading RR! (PS That's pronounced Redd-ing.)

You can identify drivers from New York, New Jersey, Maryland or other neighboring states by their unique and irritating driving habits.

A traffic jam in Lancaster County is 10 cars waiting to pass a horse-drawn carriage on the highway. (And remember ... that's Lank-ister!)

You know several people who have hit deer more than once.

Driving is always better in winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

As a kid you built snow forts and leaf piles that were taller than you were.

You know beer doesn't grow in a garden, but you know where to find a beer garden.

You actually understand all this. If that's the case, that means you grew up not far from where you're reading this.
Oh, that's east of Texas. In Texas proper oil has three syllables. oy-ee-ul. Or maybe oy-E-you'll. Now "you'll "is one syllable.
OK, long as ya doan throw the cow over the fence some hay. Just sayin. ;-{>8
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
When a waitress asked is you want: "Frahs'r'rahs" you know you're in the south.

What's so hard about that? I know what you're talking about! For the non-Southern speaking, the waitress just asked for a choice between "fries" or "rice"! And I'm not even allowed to be a full-fledged Southerner yet as I've only lived down here for thiry years! Darrel (and no other brother by that name either!)
Years ago I met a girl from Alabama. She was visiting family here in Florida for the summer, not far from Cocoa Beach. She was kind of cute but the thing I remember most vividly was her ability to turn a one syllable word into three.

One day she spied a sand crab on the beach and pointed at it and said "There's a Ka-ra-ab." It took about 10 minutes for 6 of us to decipher what she had said. By then she was red in the face and thoroughly pizzed, thinking we were making fun of her.

Well, yes, we were. Then she did it again when she saw a whale cruising down the coast just outside the breakers. So did we.
If the truth were known, forners who pretend to not understand Southernspeak really know what we're saying. They just love to flaunt their regional superiority.

All in good fun, of course!
At work one day, a lady told me something her husband did. She said it was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Can you believe a grown man did that?

I asked, well, is he from up north, Illinois, Ohio, up in there some where?

She said, "He's from New York."

I said, Yeah, I can easily understand him doing something like that.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
If the truth were known, FORNERS who pretend to not understand Southernspeak really know what we're saying. They just love to flaunt their regional superiority.

Oh that looked so funny coming from you, Ken.
Originally Posted by 1234567
At work one day, a lady told me something her husband did. She said it was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Can you believe a grown man did that?

I asked, well, is he from up north, Illinois, Ohio, up in there some where?

She said, "He's from New York."

I said, Yeah, I can easily understand him doing something like that.

Fuuunnie
I am in GA at the moment and you guys think you have communication problems?
You also know you're in the South when in a restaurant, the only option for tea is sweet tea, and every kind of soda pop is called a coke. When someone says they want a coke, you have every right to ask them "what kind".

I've always pronounce oil as "oul". You just gotta hear it I guess.

Oh yeah, the plural of ya'll is all ya'll. Everyone knows that.
Originally Posted by eyeball
If the truth were known, FORNERS who pretend to not understand Southernspeak really know what we're saying. They just love to flaunt their regional superiority.

I've lived all over the country, in 18 states from Connecticut to Kalifornia, but I could never be a forner to Alabama even if I wanted to. I'll always be a mush-mouth red-neck hick but never ashamed of it.

Cousin of Mrs Jefferson Davis (n�e Varina Howell) �

Born on Lee's birthday �

� in Forrest's old headquarters �

� in the home town of Nicola Marschall, who designed the gray CSA uniform and the first CSA flag, the "Stars and Bars" � Marion, Alabama (named after Francis Marion, "the Swamp Fox").
After over 20 years in the wholesale sporting goods industry, I got where I could decipher most dialects across the country, and usually could tell within a minute or two during a phone conversation, which state the caller was from.

A Texas drawl is quite different from people from far east TX or Ms. The hardest people for me to understand we're Blacks from Alabama & people from Maine.
Some of my customers from NY, WV, & PA also made for some interesting conversations.
I've got a pretty serious TX drawl & I'm sure a lot of my customers had the same trouble. But it got to where after dealing with my regular customers over lots of years, when they said hello, I usually new instantly whom I was talking with. My most recognizable customer was the Actor, James Earl Jones.
Always sounded like I was talking to Darth Vader. cool
Also county singer Arron Tippin had one of the most serious southern drawls I ever heard. Hank Jr. was another one of my regular customers. His voice, more of a Alabama drawl & very deep was instantly recognizable, too.
I suspect the fact that it took Southerners so much longer to say anything, even without all them polite introductory sentences, in some small way accounts for the Confederate loss (heck, sounds as reasonable as some OTHER studies I've read).

911 response times might possibly be longer down there too.

That being said, there are few things prettier on a woman than a soft Southern drawl.

YMMV,
Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I suspect the fact that it took Southerners so much longer to say anything, even without all them polite introductory sentences, in some small way accounts for the Confederate loss (heck, sounds as reasonable as some OTHER studies I've read).

That being said, there are few things prettier on a woman than a soft Southern drawl.

YMMV,
Birdwatcher

Yep. Nothin sexier. wink
I'm originally from Baaston and have spent considerable time living in Nu Jousy and Califounia. God knows what my combined accent sounds like. But I do know when I am down South, I get a lot of, "Not from around here, are ya!".
On our way to Port Aransas from Oshkosh one spring break, I asked for directions while we filled up on gas and oil for the old Chrysler New Yorker.
"You go down dadah way" as he pointed out the drive way "go two blah-ks, and hang a riot atta lot"

"What lot?" I asked.
"The lot!", he countered.
'yeah, like the K-Mart parking lot, a car lot, is that what you mean?"
"The lot! The lot! You know, where you stop when iz read?"

"Oh, the LIGHT...
got it. Thank You!"

Travis is a Yankee? WTFO

This ^^^^^

Jesus H!!

Bob

Travis

What?

You shove bullets down your shorts?

Lol!
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Here is how to speak when in Pennsylvania

For those who think we Pennsylvanians 'talk funny' or use 'big words', here's why ...

Once a Pennsylvanian, ALWAYS a Pennsylvanian!

I remember when I first left Coaldale and relocated in Pottstown. People would always tell me I had a "coal region" accent. It drove me crazy. I didn't think I had an accent. I thought everyone else who wasn't from the coal regions had an accent.

For instance

We call it lunch meat, used as a noun. Almost everywhere else it's called "cold cuts".

More about Pennsylvanians and coal region people in particular: You've never referred to Philadelphia asanything but 'Philly' and New Jersey has always been ' Jersey .'

We don't go to the beach we go 'down the shore.'

You refer to Pennsylvania as 'PA' (pronounced Pee-Ay).

How many other states do that?

'You guys' (or even 'youze guys', in some places) is a perfectlyacceptable referenceto a group of men and women.

You know how to respond to the question 'Djeetyet?'(Did you eat yet?)

You know that the Iggles play football and so do the Stillers.

You learned to pronounce Bryn Mawr, Wilkes-Barre, Schuylkill, thePoconos, Tamaqua,Kutztown, Tunkahannock, Bala Cynwyd, Kishacoquillas,Duquesne and Monongahela, also Conshohocken.

And we know Lancaster is pronounced Lank-ister, notLan-kaster.

Youknow what a 'Mummer' is, and are disappointed if you can't catch at least highlights of theparade.

Atleast five people on your block have electric 'candles' in all or most of their windows all year long.

You know what a 'State Store' is, and your out-of-state friends find it incredulous that you can't purchase liquor at the mini-mart.

Wordslike 'hoagie,' 'crick,' 'chipped ham,' 'dippy eggs', 'sticky buns,' 'shoo-fly pie,' 'lemon sponge pie', 'pierogies' and 'pocketbook' actually mean something to you. (By the way, that last one's PA slang for a purse!)

You not only have heard of Birch Beer, but you know it comes in several colors.

You know the difference between a cheese steak and a pizza steak sandwich, and you know that you also can't get a really good one anywhere outside of the Philly area. (Except maybein Atlantic City on the boardwalk.)

You proudly tell people you live near the nation's oldest brewery (Yuengling in Pottsville) and that it's more than 180 years old. How do you know? You read the label while you were drinking one.

You know that Blue Ball, Intercourse, Paradise, Climax, Bird-in-Hand, Beaver, Moon, Virginville, Mars, Bethlehem, Hershey, Indiana, Sinking Spring, Jersey Shore, State College, Washington Crossing, Jim Thorpe, King of Prussia, Wind Gap, and Slippery Rock are all PA towns ... and the first three were consecutive stops on the old Reading RR! (PS That's pronounced Redd-ing.)

You can identify drivers from New York, New Jersey, Maryland or other neighboring states by their unique and irritating driving habits.

A traffic jam in Lancaster County is 10 cars waiting to pass a horse-drawn carriage on the highway. (And remember ... that's Lank-ister!)

You know several people who have hit deer more than once.

Driving is always better in winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

As a kid you built snow forts and leaf piles that were taller than you were.

You know beer doesn't grow in a garden, but you know where to find a beer garden.

You actually understand all this. If that's the case, that means you grew up not far from where you're reading this.

pottsville or pottstown?
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
OK, long as ya doan throw the cow over the fence some hay. Just sayin. ;-{>8

Pennsylvania dutch...
A visibly excited woman burst into the police office in Stevensville and told Lance

"There's somebody outside with a gun!"

Lance ran outside.

No one in sight.

He questioned her. She couldn't describe the "somebody."

Eventually, Lance was able to determine that she'd seen a rifle or a shotgun in the rear-window rack of a parked pick-up.

"You're not from around here, are you?"

She wasn't.

Another Kalifornicator.

Isn't just the south... saw some guy with a big sign on both sides of his truck, and it had disabled veteran plates on it... from here in Oregon....

he'll I'm a southerner....

but even I can figure out how to spell...

the sign on both sides of his truck read in 12 inch high letters...

Obama is a TRADER.......

kinda diffuses the message, doesn't it?

sure it has the California liberals passing thru, laughing their fannies off...
The regular patrons of a bar in Texas pretty thoroughly whomped a guy who said that Obama was raising taxes.

Afterward, one of 'em said "Oh! We thought you said that he was raised in Texas!"
I am just so glad us Brits don't have an accent! grin
Keith. They are both Towns. Pottstown is in the SE I believe. pottsville is up in Coal country.
One of the most insidious local lingos is Baltimoronese. In Carol Anne's French class at Hopkins, Professor Kamber had the damnedest time trying to teach a Baltimoron matron how to pronounce eau.
I'm a Rhode Island native, and I believe in my heart that I speak English. The closest thing to the Queen's English anyway. There are people an hour from me that speak "English" with such an accent you have to listen hard to understand. The down east accent I think is most famous for substituting er with ah. Farmer becomes Famah. Watch Wicked Tuna and pay attention to Paulie. They talk like that here, but not everyone. It's weird. Weird like Paula Dean. Why does she have such an annoying drawl and her sons do not. Are they not from the same place. My Aunt June from Oklahoma sounded like that but not so annoying. I figured the heat made her talk slower and that accounted for it. My Aunt Norma calls me from Texas and I've got to almost got to record her and play it back at double speed to decipher it.
If you're not from Kentucky, you talk funny....period.
Originally Posted by eyeball

I've lived all over the country, in 18 states from Connecticut to Kalifornia, but I could never be a forner to Alabama even if I wanted to. I'll always be a mush-mouth red-neck hick but never ashamed of it.

Cousin of Mrs Jefferson Davis (n�e Varina Howell) �

Born on Lee's birthday �

� in Forrest's old headquarters �

� in the home town of Nicola Marschall, who designed the gray CSA uniform and the first CSA flag, the "Stars and Bars" � Marion, Alabama (named after Francis Marion, "the Swamp Fox").

Interesting.

Now, that's a legacy... cool

DF
Editing a number of Brits' manuscripts, I've often been accused � usually vehemently, always indignantly � of violating "the queen's English."

In all cases, they went away muttering after I showed 'em in the Oxford English Dictionary that my editing was indeed faithful to "the queen's English."
The one thing, of which I am sure, is that no-one in Nordakota sounds anything like the actors in the movie "Fargo". Just sayin.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
If you're not from Kentucky, you talk funny....period.

One of the new bus drives is from Rode Eyelind, a teacher asked him 'Are you from the north?' I immediately replied 'Yep, he's from Kentucky'
This was just posted a few days ago, but is worth a repeat here.

Check out Episode 2 and 3 as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUFL2GT1-2g
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You also know you're in the South when in a restaurant, the only option for tea is sweet tea, and every kind of soda pop is called a coke. When someone says they want a coke, you have every right to ask them "what kind".

I've always pronounce oil as "oul". You just gotta hear it I guess.

Oh yeah, the plural of ya'll is all ya'll. Everyone knows that.

My inlaws in Southern Illinois always ask if you want a "sodee" and when giving directions it always includes a turn at the "hard road".
Travis is a Yankee? WTFO

This ^^^^^

Jesus H!!

Bob

Travis

What?

You shove bullets down your shorts?

Lol!

When I moved here I had no pghucking clue what people meant by that one.

Big Sky Brewing Co. even puts on their beer caps.

Travis
Some of you montanans. Talk like canadians. And that freaks me out

when i worked on wall street with a bunch of ivy league yankees i took them to school with my UGA education and southern accent.

i honestly think it lowered their expectations for my work and when it was better than my peers from Harvard and Wharton they were pleasantly surprised.

Went from a lucky hire to the top of my class with hard work, southern "aw shucks" charm, and an education from a big, southern public state school that wasn't really known for its academics.

fortunately for me i decided to leave and bring my wall street experience back down south...

Lick my bage.

Travis

Lick my bage.

Travis

Not sure if you left out a D or added an E. [bleep] Illanoise...

Lick my bage.

Travis

Ok but you gotta polish it first
Originally Posted by shortmagfan
� when i worked on wall street with a bunch of ivy league yankees i took them to school with my UGA education and southern accent.

i honestly think it lowered their expectations for my work and when it was better than my peers from Harvard and Wharton they were pleasantly surprised.

Went from a lucky hire to the top of my class with hard work, southern "aw shucks" charm, and an education from a big, southern public state school that wasn't really known for its academics. �

I've had exactly the same experience, more than once, at several companies. Several fellows came to me, after I'd been working at those companies for a while, and apologized.

"For what?"

When I first heard you talk, they'd say, I put you down as too ignorant to be worth much for anything. But as I've come to know you, I've realized that you're one impressive person.
I really think that cable TV has really watered down regional accents quite a bit... younger kids from different areas don't have half the harsh accents that their parents do...

My son being raised in Oregon and trips back to Minnesota with his mom, when we were back in New England, I had to translate what older folks my age were saying to him....

take him down to Virginia where I was from and it was even worse... told me that must be what being in a foreign country feels like...

one guy was trying to tell him, that my cousin was no longer the postmaster in Lindside, he had transferred to be postmaster at Gap Mills... my son came back to tell me we had to go to some place called Gator Hills....

Accents are not as diverse as they were 30 years ago....

and Pete, yes you Limeys do have an accent...

and Rob... you Rhode Islanders and Masschusettsites....you leave the R out of stuff, Like Harvard for instance... pronouncing it HAVAD..... but then when people wonder were that R went to, it shows up at the end of words ending in an A, that have no R on it, but ya put it there anyways... such as a Vis'er Cad... for a Visa Card....

if one has a regional accent, you may lose it when you live elsewhere.. but its amazing how it can return in 2 minutes or less when you are around people who come from where you do...

when we were in Virginia, my son kept telling me when I was speaking to him... Dad talk like we are in Oregon, not like we are in Virginia...
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

YMMV,
Birdwatcher

Yep. Nothin sexier. wink

A Russian girl purring in English works pretty well too, especially if you have the right name to work with the accent. grin
When people use to give me the attitude that they thought I was dumb based on my accent in College in Boston, I use to just play dumb to watch them just hang themselves all the more...

I thought Yankees were stupider about the south, than southerners were about the North...

More than once I had people who got to know me well, ask me if I was in the Ku Klux Klan.. I'd ask them where did they get that idea.... and always the response was.. you're from Virginia aren't you? are ALL people down south part of the KuKluxKlan?

I'd lean over and whisper to them.. 'well yeah, but don't tell anyone.. we're trying to reverse that image...' some of these dumbasss thought as soon as they cross the Potomac, that we spent Saturday Nights, burning Crosses if we weren't out lynching....it would throw them off kilter, when I told them we were usually at a High School Football game instead...
You guys all talk funny....... laugh
I've had Nawthunnas ask me � as serious as a treeful of owls � whether I needed a passport and a visa to come across the Mason-Dixon line.

(Incidentally, how many people even know what and where the Mason-Dixon line is?)

Well I can tell you Mickey is smarter than I am. That's why I send him my problems. Along with a check.

Travis

There is no evidence to support such a claim. Simply because we do gun work doesn't mean we're smarter. If anything it could indicate just the opposite. wink
I remember picking up a guy hitching a ride year ago. He was going north on I-65. In the conversation he told me he was heading west but was afraid to go through the South. He was astonished when I told he that he was safer in the South than going north. I told him that I hadn't had a cup of blood in over a week. I really think he kinda believed me.

Now admit it. Y'all read this and there was not a trace of an accent, was there? See? It's all in your haids.
Funniest thing I ever had happen in Wholesale Sales was a elderly black guy from Alabama trying to spell his last name for me as I entered him into our Sales system on my CPU.
He said, "I'll spell my last name for you" and started with what sounded like "aruu"
I said "Excuse me, sir ? "
Guess he thought I was getting kinda impatient and said " you know like arruu as in Roscoe" I'd never heard that before In my life & I had to mute my phone so the poor guy couldn't hear me cracking up on the phone. cool
God, glad I am a canuck. grin
Not for nothin, but I think you can blame Weber commercials in the late 50s or 60s for the BBQ thing. They called their traditional round grill a BBQ.
I always thought it was interesting that when I say "pipe" here in Arkansas it sounds eerily similar to the word "pop" in Boston!!
And I'm sure all of the Yankee retirees here in Mountain Home that overhear the grocery lists wonder what in the world "bacon powder" and "bacon soda" are.
We hear and understand whatever we're willing and conditioned to hear and to understand.

Context helps. Immensely. We'd often be lost without it.

I hear a phoneme in certain Chicagoese speech, for example, where others hear what the context of the over-all utterance tells 'em to hear.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Kamo Gari will probably never speak to me again, but this video cracks me up.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sTPwz25VmBU&t=0[/video]

I posted this Boston joke before, but I will post it again here because it fits so well:

Researchers for the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority found over 200 dead crows near greater Boston recently, and there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu.

An avian pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and, to everyone's relief, confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu.

The cause of death appeared to be vehicular impacts.

However, during the detailed analysis it was noted that varying colors of paints appeared on the bird's beaks and claws. By analyzing these paint residues it was determined that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with trucks, while only 2% were killed by an impact with a car!

MTA then hired an ornithological behavioral specialist to determine if there was a cause for the disproportionate percentages of truck kills versus car kills.

The ornithological behaviorist realized that when crows eat roadkill, they always have a look-out crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger.

The obvious conclusion was that, being from Boston, all the lookout crows could say "Cah" -- but none could say "Truck.�

John
I'm a dyed in the wool Buckeye stranded up here in Minnesota. No one in this friggin' state knows how to talk either. You don't go with someone up here, you go with......

I never heard of the mythical hotdish till I joined the Gopher Nation. When I first moved up here, I didn't know cream of mushroom soup was it's own food group.

Yah, sure, youbetcha is part of every Minnesotan's standard greeting.

And you don't drink beer in Minnesota, you drink Grain Belt, and believe me, it's an acquired taste.

Those crazy Michiganers are just as bad. It's apparently a State Law that you end every sentence with Eh? They eat these things called pasties, which have nothing to do with covering up a stripper's boobs..........

Where does this insanity end?

I'm going back to Ohio so I can order a pop without someone asking me if I mean a soda.......
Originally Posted by gophergunner

I'm going back to Ohio so I can order a pop without someone asking me if I mean a soda.......

You can get away with calling it a pop down here, but you call it a soda and you'll get the stink eye. The correct term for all soft drinks in Texas is Coke. If you order a soft drink in Texas you say "I'll have a Coke" and the waitress will ask "what kind?"

The proper answer after that is normally "Dr. Pepper."
I've had Nawthunnas ask me � as serious as a treeful of owls � whether I needed a passport and a visa to come across the Mason-Dixon line.

(Incidentally, how many people even know what and where the Mason-Dixon line is?)

Basically, it's a line in the sand scratched out by a couple of the King's surveyors way back before any of us were considered Yanks.
The proper answer after that is normally "Dr. Pepper."

I used to really like Dr. Pepper, but the powers that be decided that every commercial had to have a bunch of Gays dancing around. Well, I was afraid that I would catch the Gay, so I quit drinking them. I rarely drink any kind of Coke anymore and just settle for tea, milk or coffee and even sometimes water. grin miles
Drink the anti-gay Dr. Pepper, Dublin Dr. Pepper. Well...it isn't called that anymore, but you can still get it with Pure Cane Sugar. Waaayyy better like we had when we were growing up.
A redneck gets pulled over by a state trooper.

The cop walks up to the car, and asks the guy if he has any ID.......

He rolls his eyes and says..........Bout WHAT ??????

Virgil B.
laugh
Another word came to mind. Back in my youth the blacks used the word "gwine" for going. I's gwine to town. Haven't heard it lately except when I use it. smile
I'm a dyed in the wool Buckeye stranded up here in Minnesota. No one in this friggin' state knows how to talk either. You don't go with someone up here, you go with......

I never heard of the mythical hotdish till I joined the Gopher Nation. When I first moved up here, I didn't know cream of mushroom soup was it's own food group.

Yah, sure, youbetcha is part of every Minnesotan's standard greeting.

And you don't drink beer in Minnesota, you drink Grain Belt, and believe me, it's an acquired taste.

Those crazy Michiganers are just as bad. It's apparently a State Law that you end every sentence with Eh? They eat these things called pasties, which have nothing to do with covering up a stripper's boobs..........

Where does this insanity end?

I don't know, it was pop while I was growing up, dontchaknow?!!

And I think you've been played in regards to Grain Belt. Everybody from MN know's that Hamms is the real beer from the "Land of Sky Blue Water."

And since I am not from Michigan I haven't eaten any food groups off of boobs, but if I found some kind of edible pastie, I'd be all over it!! cool

Cheers,

Bob
Pasties are some darn fine eating. I'd get burned out on 'em if I ate them on a regular basis, but a good pasty every month or so does it for me.
Originally Posted by Partsman

Friday Joke:

Guy from MN walks into a Canadian bar. Bartender asks, "What's your pleasure? How 'bout some Moosehead?"

Guys from MN says, "Whoah! I eaten some grizzy puzzy, but never had any Moose head!"

Bob
Originally Posted by Partsman

Friday Joke:

Guy from MN walks into a Canadian bar. Bartender asks, "What's your pleasure? How 'bout some Moosehead?"

Guys from MN says, "Whoah! I eaten some grizzy puzzy, but never had any Moose head!"

Bob
EH

norm
Pasties are some darn fine eating. I'd get burned out on 'em if I ate them on a regular basis, but a good pasty every month or so does it for me.

Pasties are one of the greatest "beer bases" in the history of mankind.

I'm thinkin' I'm right, eh?

Basically, it's a line in the sand scratched out by a couple of the King's surveyors way back before any of us were considered Yanks.
It's reported that Mason said to Dixon, "We gotta draw the line somewhere!"

lol. Awesome, B.
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Pasties are one of the greatest "beer bases" in the history of mankind.

I'm thinkin' I'm right, eh?

Oh yah, for sure, eh?
As kids my family lived in Tokyo for a few years. I crack up remembering my mom going shopping locally. Try to imagine a woman with a strong Glaswegian accent trying to pull off a back and forth in *Japanese*. Pointing came in mighty handy, yessir. smile

You mean tonic, right?

wink

It's reported that Mason said to Dixon, "We gotta draw the line somewhere!"

And John M Dooley later built his feed mill and warehouse right square on it. When I worked there for his son Hyde in the 1940s, the mill-and-warehouse part of the one building was in Pennsylvania (Delta), and the office was in Maryland (Cardiff). The Mason-Dixon line ran across the steps that led from the warehouse down into the office.

How often can a fellow go from one state to another without leaving the building?
Sometimes Gus does that, Ken.
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

lol. Awesome, B.

Best one I heard was a guy who worked for me getting directions to deliver a load of hay. Ian had came from Scotland 20 years earlier but still had a pretty fair accent. The hay buyer was a black hat Mennonite from Lancaster county and his Pa. Dutch accent was just as thick!

The Mason-Dixon line is about 25 miles south of where I am sitting right now. There's some rough hilly country down there, them boys earned their pay surveying it way back when.

Dale
There's some rough hilly country down there, them boys earned their pay surveying it way back when.

Surveying is rarely easy, anywhere. The starting point for the Louisiana Purchase survey is in a swamp that is still filled with cottonmouths. miles
Some years ago I went to a social function of sorts at my wife's home town in Nebraska and was asked some simple question by one of the local ladies there to which I replied "No ma'am". She immediately turned to me and replied. You are not from around here are you? I then replied that her suspicion's were correct and I hailed from southern Oklahoma. Her response was "Oh that explains it." I took it as a compliment....
When Old Mrs Ames answered the doorbell, she was about to tell me that the room that she'd listed at the university's housing office was no longer available.

But when I addressed her as "Ma'am" (she told others later), she said to herself I've got to have this young man in my house.

So I got a private room with a double bed, bed linens, and maid service, the best extra room in that palatial house � held in reserve for special guests � all because of one right word.

"Don't know what somebody from Montana is......."

Hellsfire....all of their kin are German so they call mostly speak that afore they could speak 'Anglish'!! grin

you guys all talk with a funny accent.... laugh
The first thing that I learned in those few voice lessons before Mrs B ran-off with some other guy � was to enunciate words clearly enough to keep 'em properly separate � e g, "I dream of Annie" instead of "I dree ma Vannie."

Whenever someone talks so fast that their words all run together � especially soft-spoken gals with melted-marshmallow consonants � Icannottmakeheadortailofanythingthatthatpersonissayingespeciallyonthetelephoneortelevision.

Because of my tone island, "fifty" and "sixty" (likewise "fifteen" and "sixteen") both sound to me like "itty" (or "itteen").

When I try to explain the problem and ask specifically "Are you saying 'eff-eye-eff-ty' or 'ess-eye-ex-ty,'" they just say the same thing louder.
laugh
[/quote]
And John M Dooley later built his feed mill and warehouse right square on it. When I worked there for his son Hyde in the 1940s, the mill-and-warehouse part of the one building was in Pennsylvania (Delta), and the office was in Maryland (Cardiff). The Mason-Dixon line ran across the steps that led from the warehouse down into the office.

How often can a fellow go from one state to another without leaving the building? [/quote]

Ken, there was a fellow whose house was on the Tennessee-Alabama line. He served in both state legislatures at different times. He established state residency by moving his bedroom from one end of the house to the other.
© 24hourcampfire