Home
I turned 60 last year and I am trying to find something that interests me. I'm still working because I like the money, but am tiring of the travel involved. I often think about retiring at 62, and what my daily routine would be. I want to write a book for posterity's sake, but other than that I feel like I have succumbed to life's "rat race." I sold all my motorcycles, cancelled my plans to buy an airplane, no longer have season football tickets, and simply want an uncluttered and simple life. I can't think of any material thing that interests me any more. Is there something wrong with me, or is this just a symptom of growing old?
No, money.
I travel alot and am the same age as you. Sometimes I get the feeling you describe. Being around young people and teaching them the ropes of life gives purpose. Go on a hunting trip with some buds and take someone younger to mentor. Might break the spell.
OrangeOkie...no grandchildren? Heck I am looking forward to spending time hunting and fishing with my grandson. Some of my best memories are being with my grandparents.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I turned 60 last year and I am trying to find something that interests me. I'm still working because I like the money, but am tiring of the travel involved. I often think about retiring at 62, and what my daily routine would be. I want to write a book for posterity's sake, but other than that I feel like I have succumbed to life's "rat race." I sold all my motorcycles, cancelled my plans to buy an airplane, no longer have season football tickets, and simply want an uncluttered and simple life. I can't think of any material thing that interests me any more. Is there something wrong with me, or is this just a symptom of growing old?

Strip clubs my friend
Hell...I just turned 50 and have the same symptoms as you, sold my boat a couple years ago, sold my motorcycles, the only thing I really look forward to is Hunting season. The wife told me I need to get another boat and Harley. I agree!!!! going to start looking for replacements. I am going to try and get out of the slump I am in.
I'm 61 and will retire in Jan. My first grandchild is due tomorrow, and I'm going to Africa next Aug.

As far as work goes, my "Give a Damn" has already retired.
Not ambition, just patience for .gov.

Gunner
I retired at 62 and have not regretted it one day. There is plenty to keep me busy without ever having to look.
Not ambition, but running outta give a schit for a lot of things/people....

That is what hunting and fishing are for...I have not yet met anyone that can fish and worry at the same time.
Mentoring young people whether it's hunting , fishing , work , ect can bring back a lot of the satisfaction. Seeing the world anew through their eyes will help bring back some of the magic. Hunt something new or a different style of fishing. Connect with some guys from here or local bike club and schedule things so you have to go. I'm only 45 and I'm reinventing the way I hunt this year. I was hunting whitetails locally but this year I ditched the club and got a backpack and tent and I'm off to hunt elk. I may not kill anything and freeze but it will not be the same old thing again.
Originally Posted by Diesel
I travel alot and am the same age as you. Sometimes I get the feeling you describe. Being around young people and teaching them the ropes of life gives purpose. Go on a hunting trip with some buds and take someone younger to mentor. Might break the spell.

simple, fishing
And you guys talk about traveling, For years I spent every other night in another country and spent 65 to seventy hours a week driving back and forth.
If you want to be happy for a day, roast a pig.
If you want to be happy for a month, take a bride.
If you want to be happy for a year, plant a garden.
I'm not trying to be.. whatever the word is I'm looking for...but if I were in your shoes I'd go on a mission trip. Take a suitcase full of small things you can give away to children in other countries. All you need is the means to get there, the means to rent a car and room, and a suitcase full of anything from toothbrushes to crackers to toys to shoes. Best to hook up with someone either an individual or a group for lots of reasons. But the main thing is you need to be free enough to follow your heart as it's prompted while you're there. You don't have to conquer the world or give away the farm. There are craftsmen that need tools, even a file is valuable for making a living when it's needed, kids that need clothes, farmers that need goats, people that need medicine, food, or clean water.
I promise you, that if you will take the first step and then follow through with this, your life will be forever changed. You will probably develop a sense of urgency to do more. Please contact me if you need some direction and I'll try to help.
I turned 60 this year and my ambition is to pay two college tuitions.

after that, there is a lot of stuff I have never killed or caught that should keep me busy till I die.
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
I turned 60 this year and my ambition is to pay two college tuitions.

after that, there is a lot of stuff I have never killed or caught that should keep me busy till I die.

you old phart grin we need to meet down at Pat's again and terrorize him for a while
I'm only 39, but have pretty much been traveling non-stop since Feb.

HATE it and I feel just wore out at the end of the week. I'm pretty much just in one spot all week or maybe two weeks and don't leave until Monday AM and I'm back at a reasonable time Friday but it does suck and suck the life outta you.

I'll be done though in the next month or two, so there is light a the end of the tunnel

Morel of the story, I'm a home body and don't know how people who travel non-stop deal with it.
Not a chance..

[Linked Image]
I'm less concerned about stuff, that's for certain. I was getting worn down at work but retirement took care of that problem. I'm pretty damn content right now.

Travel is low on my list, after moving around my entire adult life.
And we're contemplating having a kid next year. That should keep me busy till I die.
Im 43 at the end of the month, and been feeling stressed for awhile. Obama and defense cuts put the brakes on some plans, did away with others. Feel like just up and quitting some days and starting my own business again. But, dont know if I have it in me. Right now, I can just ride things out and hope for the best. But I hate not being in control. Most days, its just hard to relax.
The only thing I'm tired of is responsibility.
Amen brother.
Originally Posted by pahick
Im 43 at the end of the month, and been feeling stressed for awhile. Obama and defense cuts put the brakes on some plans, did away with others. Feel like just up and quitting some days and starting my own business again. But, dont know if I have it in me. Right now, I can just ride things out and hope for the best. But I hate not being in control. Most days, its just hard to relax.

I can really relate to this. I started another business at your age and didn't think I had it in me either. I find myself resisting rather than embracing it like I did in my 20's the first go-around. Life has a way of tiring you out. Find things that energize you within your work and focus on those to increase your satisfaction quotient. If nothing else, doing your job sacrificially for your customers has it's own rewards that no one can steal from you.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
And we're contemplating having a kid next year. That should keep me busy till I die.

Which, the contemplating or the having? whistle
Originally Posted by ltppowell

I even trashed that quite some time ago. Three months and I will be seventy nine and I can truthfully say that I enjoy life just as much now as I ever have. Some of my interests have changed but trying to make more money than I need is not on my list, short or long.

Amature ham radio is a great retirement hobby. You can travel the globe from your ham shack and converse with many interesting forieners.

I found it, but I gotta get divorced first.
To me it sounds a lot like plain ol' depression. There is nothing better than strenuous exercise for treating it, imo.

BTDT.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by pahick

I can really relate to this. I started another business at your age and didn't think I had it in me either. I find myself resisting rather than embracing it like I did in my 20's the first go-around. Life has a way of tiring you out. Find things that energize you within your work and focus on those to increase your satisfaction quotient. If nothing else, doing your job sacrificially for your customers has it's own rewards that no one can steal from you.

Thanks. I know that if I quit where im at and start up another business, though ill have to work harder, I can actually schedule more time off than I have accrued now. Its just, well taking that first step and risking it all isnt what I planned on at this point. And if I fail, it might mean not being able to financially make it here where I grew up. Which, even thought I bitch and moan, id like to stay here. Aint ever easy is it?
Do you have any network of like-minded people you can connect with? Maybe a once a month dinner or some such? Some way to meet and talk to help you sort out some of the insecurities by nailing down some specific actions to overcome what's troubling you? There's always someone who can breathe life into you if you've got that down-deep drive that's just stifled a bit by some trivial nagging uncertainties. Not to downplay your ventures stature to trivial, but you know what I mean.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I learned something this evening.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Do you have any network of like-minded people you can connect with? Maybe a once a month dinner or some such? Some way to meet and talk to help you sort out some of the insecurities by nailing down some specific actions to overcome what's troubling you? There's always someone who can breathe life into you if you've got that down-deep drive that's just stifled a bit by some trivial nagging uncertainties. Not to downplay your ventures stature to trivial, but you know what I mean.

Plenty. Mostly family. 90% of my family on my fathers side are in the same business I was. All of them are doing quite well. Deep down, I know I can make it. Ill be starting with nothing this time, instead of having a running start given by my father. I guess what it comes down to is, I have it easy right now. Really unstable, but easy. But everyday when I clock in, I ask myself why im there and for how much longer. I think there may be layoffs coming that will reach my level, and if they do that'll be the push I need to make it happen. Why im waiting for someone else to push me, I dont really know.
What's wrong with you, are you a mouse or a man? Get off your butt and suck it up! Do it!!!

There, how was that? smile
Just what I needed! Thanks!! laugh

Seriously, I do appreciate it. Lifes short, and im ready for it. Itll most likely happen. Thanks again. Have a great evening!
Snap out of it, you could go another 40 years.
I've got a lot of ambition for life.

It's the ambition to work that's taking a hit.

Working is okay,...but 40 years of it is enough.

Odd part of it is,..I've never been a particularly material kind of person,....yet somehow I got sucked into that "work 'till ya puke" game.

It's a sickness,...and I still have it to a certain extent.

A work ethic isn't something that you can just put down after a life spent developing it.

I like to pretend that I have the ability to just say "fuggit",...but I haven't gotten there yet.

The good news is,..I can actually imagine it as a forthcoming reality.

If it's like every other occurrence in my life, it'll sneak up on me and just be there one morning.
Yea, and hopefully without a marker.
OO,

Try Zoloft if the other suggestions don't help you out.
no kids, no grandkids.

But we have dogs.

And I'll retire as soon as I can afford to, and won't be looking for things to do. PLENTY on the list if I live long enough.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
To me it sounds a lot like plain ol' depression.

I agree. They have meds for this. Go see a few good docs & you will soon find that this is a normal thing that can happen anytime throughout ones lifetime. I experienced it at the ripe age of 34 or 35. Completely lost all interest in everything. Felt like I was wasting space on this great Earth. Well, I'm over it & back to loving my daily routine. Love my job & my family and look forward to the both of them each and every day!

Good Luck my friend. smile

So get one and enjoy it. Yes, it could be a sign of aging, and it's good that you still have your mind and health to enjoy the new direction you now want to go.

I'd also most definitely get a good physical, during which have your Testosterone level checked, as that can influence what you are going through.
Originally Posted by Scott F
I retired at 62 and have not regretted it one day. There is plenty to keep me busy without ever having to look.

I'm semi retired from one long time job, but will be busy farming cows ansd playing around with my semis till I die, I like it, and will play hell ever selling my harleys, hot rods and drag cars. smile

Gunner
Originally Posted by 16bore

Specially politicians, and whining so called minorities and like scum. mad

Gunner
I retired at 55, and have never looked back. Have hunted in New Zealand, Africa and Spain as well as all over the USA. I try to always have a "next adventure" to look forward to.

I think that's what keeps me going.

Planing on hunting coastal brown bears in Alaska in 2014 and Cape buffalo in Mozambique in 2015, plus elk and antelope hunts in the American west.

I view every hunt as is it will be my last and just try to keep going.

Plus, I love were we live in western Pa., and have no problem getting up in the morning and trying to make "something" better.

That was pretty much the way I lived my working years, and it has served me well in retirement.

donsm70
What "eyeball" and some others said.
I won't be able to retire at 62...but My two cents here for what I'd like to see in my future,some of which I do now is...
study the Bible more and deepen my relationship with Jesus
be able to spend more time with my family, although more will be gone by then and my children will have grown up
buy a boat and catch up on ALOT of fishin
hunt ALOT more
shoot ALOT more
spend time reflecting on my life...which will/would be happening in the boat and on the stand
Good luck and prayers coming your way for peace of mind
To me it sounds a lot like plain ol' depression. There is nothing better than strenuous exercise for treating it, imo.

BTDT.

This. The things you used to like to do will still be fun if you will just do it. I know exactly how you feel because I've been there. Depression will knock you down if you don't realize what's going on. Ken
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

Dayom. I started to post almost exactly that earlier today. shocked
Originally Posted by eh76
OrangeOkie...no grandchildren? Heck I am looking forward to spending time hunting and fishing with my grandson. Some of my best memories are being with my grandparents.

eh...

My 10 y/o grandson and our close bond is all that is keeping me here anymore. He is actually my step-grandson, but no two guys could be closer, and his dad is a son to me.

He was with me when he shot his first bird on the wing, a valley quail, and he used my dad's old shotgun to do it. He is now shooting a Savage 220 single shot 20ga, just like I hunted with at that age; he asked me to find him one, so he could be just like me.

If not for Owen I would probably vegetate until they planted me. Because of him, life is great!! laugh

[Linked Image]

I've owned about any gun I ever wanted, except for a vierling, and I've hunted and taken everything I ever wanted and exceeded that. I never became rich and missed it by inches several times, but I survive just fine.

I am sure thankful for the good people around me. I do miss the zest for new adventures, however.
Originally Posted by kend

BTDT.

The things you used to like to do will still be fun if you will just do it.

Just how in the heck do you force yerself to do these things when taking a shower or doing laundry or going to the grocery store or changing yer engine oil is waaaaay too much of a chore? It's a looooooong way from the couch to that garage.

The brutality of clinical depression is underrated in our society.

Originally Posted by CrowRifle
If you want to be happy for a day, roast a pig.
If you want to be happy for a month, take a bride.
If you want to be happy for a year, plant a garden.

....or an orchard ? smile

Preach it , Brother !

GTC
nope not out of ambition, but starting the planning on the next chapter of life,

looked at properties this weekend, in a little burg with no property taxes. Imagine that, your paid for place is really paid for! What a concept.

and I'll work for a long time to come, just less of it, as I enjoy working, but really looking forward to having more time for projects

and we'll probably snowbird some, low rent snowbirding, but so fortunate to have a wife that is so akin to my desires, we both like tasting the expensive stuff from time to time, but what we really crave and enjoy is the simple life.

the move will open up new hunting country for me, which I'm ready for, ain't life funny?

spent years guiding and not hunting here, have now found a honey hole in this locale that serves my needs for solitude and good hunting and all I really want to do is explore some new country!

had hobo packets of moose, potatoes, onions and carrots this weekend over an open fire with some rain falling, homemade rolls, and I just can't imagine life being any better.

still have some work to do here, before that chapter officially begins, but we may buy the house we saw with 4 bay garage this next spring or summer in anticipation of our move.

biz is good and we want to sock some more away before we go into glide mode.
I can't think of any material thing that interests me any more.

A few folks have kinda mentioned it, but I'll come right out and say it.

What you've realized, but need to acknowledge, is that life ain't about stuff. So losing interest in stuff isn't a bad thing. It means you're ripe for filling your life with our savior.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I can't think of any material thing that interests me any more.

A few folks have kinda mentioned it, but I'll come right out and say it.

What you've realized, but need to acknowledge, is that life ain't about stuff. So losing interest in stuff isn't a bad thing. It means you're ripe for filling your life with our savior.

Indeed!

I just sold my gorgeous Len Brownell 7mm Mashburn, and have my other high end guns on gunbroker.

OrangeOkie, if you have not done so, ask God what HE has planned and would like to do with the rest of your life! The life lived with purpose for God and others out of love for those two is a RICH life indeed and never EVER boring. Expect God to bring you to the edge of yourself and expand you and re make you into something so much bigger and better than you ever before could have imagined. THAT is the kind of thing that God does.

I highly recommend getting the book "The purpose driven life" by Rick Warren. Only a life lived for Gods designes and divine purposes is a life worth living whether one is 60 or 16.
Will be 52 in December and two of three sons will be finished with college. Son #3 is 15 and school is covered so I will work another couple of years or so and retire, downshift a gear or two and floor it. Head straight to the place in Idaho for a spell and get out and about. Life's been pretty darn good so far, knock, knock, knock, but I plan to milk it fully when I retire. So, no.

Damn man you sound like me, I will be 61 this year. Can't even get it together to want to buy a new rifle, pistol, shotgun, or telescope and selling more than I am buying of them. smile
Safariman, I think you hit it dude, we have got so much and we always want more while all the time we have 3 things already that do the same thing. Two women are in jail today in Iran because they had bibles, every week they trot them out and tell them if they will sign a paper condemning Christianity they can go free, every week they go back into their cells. What happened to us? We live and easy life, worry about nothing and we say our lives are useless and have no ambition. Well maybe we need to think about doing something else with what time we have left..your life is not useless or meaningless unless your doing nothing with it. Forget about yourself and see if you can feel any better by helping others with your time, talent or cash.
Well, it actually could be a symptom of mild depression - knowing the creeping incremental years heading to the end of life.. It can happen to any/all of us at one point or another..

I hear ya on the 'simpler' lifestyle.. I gotta get there myself. But the LAST thing I'll sell is the bike.. That's the one thing that keeps me a bit young.. smile

When I finally give up the gun business I'll find a part-time job for 2-3 days a week just to keep a little busy. I can't just not work - I've been working rather hard for well over 50 years and just cannot quit now..
I am over 67, long retired, and just enjoying the hell out of life.
With all I have to do, with family, my grand child, wife, running two homes, hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, messing around with boats, guns, knives, and helping my Son's business, I hardly have any time to breathe. smile
Thanks for all the suggestions. I learned something this evening.

I retired three years ago at age 63. and I wonder how I ever had time to work a job. Lack of something to do is not a problem for me, the energy to do it is another matter. grin miles
I retired at 60, I'm seventy now. I would not have time for a regular job now and do all the things I do. Most days I walk out the door and there is something that needs done around my place.

The hardest thing to learn after retiring is that not everything has to be done today.

I traveled for 3 months out of every year for 30 years and don't care if I ever get on another plane for the rest of my life and I don't need to travel.

If you have given up all your hobbies, look around and volunteer to help others. There is always some need there.
I'm all ready thinking about this. In my early 50's now, and really trying to sock away money for retirement, as I know we will never have enough no matter how much I save up. We don't travel much, so I don't see that as a viable diversion. I guess I'm a little more grounded. Hopefully my son and daughter each get married eventually and I have grandkids to dote over. 'Can't wait to introduce some young 'uns to the out of doors. Thinking about dusting off my traps and running a line again. 'Haven't laid any steel in over 25 years now. My other plan is to get involved politically in the out of doors. The outdoor arena has given much to me over the years, and it's high time I stepped up my level of commitment to protect our outdoors heritage.

The only thing wrong with you, as far as I can see, is that you're bothered about it. The point here is to be happy.

It sounds like you have relied on a lot of outward things to make you happy-- not a criticism, btw. Those things have now come up wanting, and you're looking for something new to make you happy.

A lot of folks go their entire lives never questioning this cycle. It is a good thing that you are, and that you've begun to question it early enough in your life to do something about it.

Sit down and make a list of the 5 or so things you find most important in life-- think long and hard. Figure out 5 or so things you can set as goals to make those things come to fruition in your life. Prioritize them, make a plan, work the plan. Get up every morning any figure out what you're going to do based on those values, goals and plans. Later, rinse, repeat. You'll get there.

Originally Posted by ltppowell

Retirement will fix that fo sho.
I'm 66 quit real work 20yrs ago and have since gotten rid of everything but a good dog old truck few flintlocks, recurves, one compound, a handgun, 22 rifle, few flyrods and every kinda hunting gadget you can think of. I'm down to either hunting whitetails or getting ready to go.
I retired at 37, and spent the next 11 years doing the things I wanted and knew I wouldnt be able to do in old age. The money ran out at 48, the bucket list was filled, so it was back to work!
Now Im 61 and contemplating another retirement,but I was right about the bucket list and not being able in old age... frown

I may stay working cause I love my job, and wouldnt know what to do with my time....
for a guy that prances around in a leopard thong, you sure are a smart guy! (grin)

have often said they should loan you 500K when you're 25, enjoy the next 10-15 years and then work to repay it till you drop dead

I struck some balance in my life doing vs. dreaming

but lately I find I'm not outdoors (our yard don't count) as much as I desire.

that's one of the things I'm most looking forward to about slowing down on this whole work gig, more time afield. but alas, approaching 60 I don't have the strength nor stamina that I did in my 40's. I could still go pretty hard then.

but it is what it is, best to make the most of it I reckon.

I see some pretty fit 70-80 year old guys, hope to be one of them someday.
I just turned 59

I am tired and want to do less work and more fun

one more wedding and maybe I can

in 2-3 more years

Snake
Worked as a saw filer in mills for 42 years and was able to retire in Dec. at age 60.

Been at this retirement stuff for 8 months and am LOVING it!

NO MORE STRESS!!!

I did go to work 2 days a week in a gunshop, doing what I enjoy.

Work 2 days, have 5 off...Works for ME! (GRIN!)

I take my two dogs for about a mile walk on my neighbors timber land in the mornings,

Then go to town to do errands and have lunch.

When I get home, I set on the porch with one of my rifles, and "guard" my bird feeders from "varmits"....Life is GOOD!

Virgil B.

There's nothing wrong with you. You're just hitting the reset button. You don't have to have a grand plan for the future to be happy. You're way ahead of others as you have jettisoned your encumberances. Figure it out as it comes. Oftentimes a "forced plan" leads to a "this isn't what I expected" scenario.

Remember, every day is a gift. Enjoy the day and see what tomorrow may bring.
PRAY and get some exercise.
Indeed, I am impressed with the advice given thus far, but have to add one thing that has been discussed before and applies here.

I could have made the o.p. Guys over 50 that feel like this should, by all means rule out low testosterone. There is a correlation between low free testosterone and depression in aging men.

Started giving myself shots recently and am starting to feel like I am coming alive again.

Just saying.

Those who want something current on this topic should get the book "Testosterone for Life" by A. Morgentaler.

Low T. Seriously.
I'd feel better if I got to do inject some P more often. whistle
Start a vineyard.
I turned 60 last year and I am trying to find something that interests me. I'm still working because I like the money, but am tiring of the travel involved. I often think about retiring at 62, and what my daily routine would be.

I fully understand how you feel. Whenever I do the math on retiring, it looks like I will be working until age 70. mad
Does it get me down .... YES it does.
Especially today ... it's MONDAY
It's like doing the math on having a kid. If you do it, you'll never have one. You spend what you make.

It just wasn't worth it to me any longer to work 60+ hours a week for $2K a month.
Originally Posted by Manic_Hunter

Amature ham radio is a great retirement hobby. You can travel the globe from your ham shack and converse with many interesting forieners.

This in spades.... My wife and I both got our tickets about 1 1/2 years ago..... Finished getting a tower with 3 beams stacked up on it 2 weeks ago.... Making new friends around the World....

PM inbound

My ambition is for my children. Presently, I have retirement and eternity scheduled simultaneously. grin
Something else to consider here.

Could it also be part of the equation that watching the country we grew up knowing (and loving) is being systematically taken apart and weighs on our outlook for the future. Our kids will live in a country that has no resemblance of the structure we knew.

We are all about the same age and worked for 40 to 50 years and now we see the rules are changing.

I think it is a factor that we have not admitted to ourselves. We are not leaving things better than we found them.

Just saying.
I'll be 53 this year.
I've gone hard all my life, hunting, fishing, motorcycle racing, hot rods, nothing was ever done in conservative fashion, balls to the wall, full throttle 24/7.

Now that I'm getting on in years I'm not really liking how I'm feeling.
All the hardware in my leg hurts more (14 screws 2 plates etc..) I find it harder to get out of bed and get going, seems work takes more out of me than it used to, but mostly I miss the time I used to spend with my little boy.
He's almost 21 now working full time and is also a volunteer firefighter.
Between that & the young women in his life Dad don't get much for leftovers as far as his time goes.
Kind of like a drug addict going cold turkey I guess.
Gonna have to adjust to time at home with just the wife too, bless her heart for sticking around while I was out gallivanting with the kid on the rivers and in the mountains, but it is going to take some getting used to the one on one thing.

Seems I'm not alone.

I think having a kid at 48 will keep things interesting. I was single for 19 years betwixt 28 and 47 and those were my 'fun' years.

I'm enjoying being at home and settled for a change.
Some great stuff mentioned here.

I retired at 52 and wore out a good Z-71 trying to hunt and fish every day for near 3 yrs. Went back to work periodically, consulting on shortish term jobs and am now on my 8th try for "retirement". Gonna make it this time and am back adding wear on another Z-71. I do miss work because I am one of those very, very fortunate folks who truly enjoyed what I did and, looking back, wouldn't change a single thing. Again I say, I'm triple blessed. G* is good.

Could it also be part of the equation that watching the country we grew up knowing (and loving) is being systematically taken apart and weighs on our outlook for the future. Our kids will live in a country that has no resemblance of the structure we knew.

We are all about the same age and worked for 40 to 50 years and now we see the rules are changing.

I think it is a factor that we have not admitted to ourselves. We are not leaving things better than we found them.

Just saying.

Diesel - you hit the nail right on the head. I see ALL the rules I grew up believing in changing and I do not like it.
For example --- I always figured man worked his whole life and at age 65 put in for SS. Then Uncle Sam
would start sending out checks a man could live on.
Plus 1, with emphasis, on the low T/Testosterone.

Focusing on what God wants to do with your life and making that the challenge and adventure plus some testosterone supplement will, I predict, bring about the fulfilled, energetic and exciting life that we all seek and desire. The T supplement will at least make you physically strong and horny again, a great start.
I think having a kid at 48 will keep things interesting. I was single for 19 years betwixt 28 and 47 and those were my 'fun' years.

You're 47 and embarking on the "have a kid" thing?

*whew*..

,..better lay in a big supply of those 5 hour energy drinks before they go up in price again.
Yeah, I had mine at 36 and it d@mn near killed me keeping up with a toddler at that age.
Originally Posted by Hotload

Just saying.

Diesel - you hit the nail right on the head. I see ALL the rules I grew up believing in changing and I do not like it.
For example --- I always figured man worked his whole life and at age 65 put in for SS. Then Uncle Sam
would start sending out checks a man could live on.

Everybody always tellin' me I'm glum for recognizing the above.

What they don't realize is,...there's a bright side to being in my late 50's when the world is goin' to chit.

,...and that is,...it can only get so bad in the amount of time I got left.

My kids either have or are getting good educations,...and I've been planting the seed in their minds of jumping off this sinking ship when the time is right.

Of course,..they give me the "Oh dad", routine,...and I don't argue with them about it.

It's enough that they've been made aware of the option.

They're smart.

They'll get there.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

*whew*..

,..better lay in a big supply of those 5 hour energy drinks before they go up in price again.

in 10 years his idea of playing ball will be rolling a beachball 3 feet across the grass, what fun for the kid.
Originally Posted by eyeball
I'd feel better if I got to do inject some P more often. whistle

A true dilema, cuz if ya takes the T you'll rreeeaaaally miss the P. ;-{>8
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

Dayom. I started to post almost exactly that earlier today. shocked

Gass on it Eyeball, you've the right. wink

Gunner
You go Gunner. wink
Originally Posted by Bristoe

*whew*..

I hear ya, but dad had me at 46 and I've yet to be worn down by kids or 25 years of marriage at this point.
Have fun in your retirements fellas. When I get there it won't exist.......... Work my ass off to make decent money (no college) but that still just barely gets me by. Trucked my 20's away. Now working on killing my 30's in a truck. Finally have a job that I'm home every day and can make the bills. But retirement will be a thing of the past when it's my time. Retirement will be a Folgers can that my old lady chucks into the river.........
In a word, no. And for that I am thankful. Sorry to hear some others are.
In a word, yeah. But I had a kid at 48. And another at 51. So I have plenty of responsibility to keep me going. I hope that makes up for the lack of energy. And hope.

"Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds
powder and ball, and be ready to march at a minute's warning."
Probably been said already but I didn't read the whole thread, get your testosterone level checked and your thyroid while your at it. Both easy to treat if one of thems your problem.

Bb
Dealing with a few of these issues myself as I enter the last few years of my career; 35 years in same industry, last 22 years with the same company that has been sold twice in the last 3 years.Recently got a "reassignment" (looking for younger "talent" maybe?) and replaced by a full blown moron. Still a well paying position that many people would envy. I know my 59 yr old brother would who was layed off and has been looking for almost 2 years.
No kids. Wonderful wife.
Heard this somewhere(maybe here):
�The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. �

I am trying to adjust the sails; just not sure which direction.
© 24hourcampfire