Home
Not sure if this may be old news
Happened to be checking around and found out this below.
Sleeping Indian design Wool
Both numbers disconnected no longer in service.

Mar 1, 2013 - Not sure if this has been posted, could not find prior post. Sleeping Indian Wool is shutting their doors due to the passing of Ted Ranck.

About the only other High quality wool clothing - KOM King of the Mountain
KOM Wool

Wasn't sure if people were aware of this -
thought it would be interesting to know.
Sad
500.00 for a pair of pants, YGTBFKM
Darn
They priced themselves out of business .
No. Those prices are from the KOM site listed above.
Check out their "standmaster jacket". 900.0+
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Spoken like a true southerner. wink

Wear a set in a tree stand for 4-6 hours at negative temps and get back to us on that YGTBFKM part.

I really thought some entrepreneur would have bought this business out from the guys estate.
Bbassi. I live in Pa it gets plenty cold here ive never been that cold on standhell ive stood in water with ice forming up around my waders and i still wasnt cold enough to spend a grand on a coat

Looks like somebody woke up.
lol. I agree the prices were too high. That's why mine were second hand. They are the best on the market though IMO. I actually get to wear mine about once every 2 years up here. The rest of the time my Columbia range wool is plenty.
Originally Posted by bbassi

Spoken like a true southerner. wink

Wear a set in a tree stand for 4-6 hours at negative temps and get back to us on that YGTBFKM part.

I really thought some entrepreneur would have bought this business out from the guys estate.

Why does it cost so much to keep yankees warm? I recollect from days in the military we all kept warm in the same uniform outfit... and there weren't no $500 trousers.
Ted co-founded KOM with Ted Ranck. Ted had a different opinion with business decisions, left and started Sleeping Indian.
He had a hard time getting the high quality wool he demanded and had some worn out equipment. He had no shortage of orders so his price point was reachable by many. Same with KOM. I've had my set over 20 years, haven't gained weight and will never wear it out. Didn't know he was ill. Too bad. RIP.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Ted co-founded KOM with Ted Ranck King Cavalier. Ted had a different opinion with business decisions, left and started Sleeping Indian.
He had a hard time getting the high quality wool he demanded and had some worn out equipment. He had no shortage of orders so his price point was reachable by many. Same with KOM. I've had my set over 20 years, haven't gained weight and will never wear it out. Didn't know he was ill. Too bad. RIP.

Corrected your post......I think that was waht you really meant.

Ted was a very nice guy..........did a few special things for me & I'm sorry he's gone. He was very close to a couple of friends of mine as well.

IMO, Ted's stuff was better than KOM, which I have a bunch of too, because it seemed to have a harder finish.

RIP Ted Ranck

MM
I have had both, for years, very good stuff, and bought a a winter hat and a pair of pants at a SCI auction, out grew the pants but still use the hat, and still use my KOM light & heavey set, most bought sec, hand tho! cant beat good wool! sorry that sleeping Indian is know more.
I am looking to buy Sleeping Indian wool camo clothing in both brown and grey.

Specifically I am looking for Mountain Hunter Extreme Parka in both Brown and Grey Camo XL.

Also Outfitter jacket in Brown Camo XL.

Finally, other Sleeping Indian accessories in both Brown and Grey Camo.

Thank you.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

IMO, Ted's stuff was better than KOM, which I have a bunch of too, because it seemed to have a harder finish.

MM

Agreed. Got both here.

I DID get tired of excess baggage charges schlepping either one thru airports to Canada....both heavy.

I cant find temps cold enough to use it for New England hunting. Used nothing but the SI shirt for most stuff here.
I've had both IMO, SI is better, especially in the windproof department.

I have a SI territory jacket, with the suplex windproof lining. I wore it last season on a late season (Dec) elk hunt in Co.

Guide and I ended up at a high mtn meadow at first light (9950ft). It was freaking cold and the wind was howling. I was warm and never felt the wind....can't say the same for the guide !!!

After the elk passed and there were no shooters, he kept making hints about climbing back down. I said, nah, I busted my azz climbing up here, let's hang for a while and have a cup of joe before we split !!!

Awesome scenary, about the highest I had ever hunted. I enjoyed it because I was warm.

[Linked Image]

I had a similar KOM jacket with their windproof lining...I sold it to buy the SI jacket.

Enough said...

Tony
Thanks Montana Man for correcting my post with Ted's name used twice. I would think that some entrepreneur would recognize the void in the high end camo wool market and attempt to pickup the remnants of SI. Its certainly specialty clothing and expensive, but when you need it there is none finer. My set has lasted 23 years now and is still going strong.
Everything is expensive in Jackson Hole! Great wool, I toured the operation a long time ago. I once lost a pair of sleeping Indian pants in a poker game at deer camp.

I have the KOM stuff and will use it tomorrow in -10-15 wind chills as I try to 45 some venison. I do find wind will go through it so I have to layer a wind blocker in up top. My stuff though wears like iron and is 15-20 years old. I find Filsons wool just as good though it is not washable but you'd better be very careful washing any KOM stuff too. I did have one KOM piece shrink two sizes after a cold water wash and air dry; may have been a QC miss but they replaced it speedily.
George,

I have a KOM wool shirt...their mid weight version. I bought it on flea bay, it was a XXL size. I purposely shrunk it, now it fits perfectly...size XL with nice room to layer.

Tony
I had sets of both KOM and SI. JMO of course, but with today's clothing technologies there are better, warmer, more flexible and MUCH lighter ways to stay warm.
Originally Posted by SKane
I had sets of both KOM and SI. JMO of course, but with today's clothing technologies there are better, warmer, more flexible and MUCH lighter ways to stay warm.

I agree with that,too.

But I still use the SI and KOM once in awhile locally though;usually the shirt.
i'll be in my SI today. nothing else like it when it is bone chilling cold.
Bob,
I don't hunt anywhere in frigid temps without my KOM Bomber hat - I kept that!!

No argument there particularly with Filson's 24 oz/yd wools--heavy, heavy. Especially that double Mac Cruiser. But, I still like wool for warm and quiet.
George,

Yep. Wool wins "quiet" every time.
Originally Posted by Cartod
Everything is expensive in Jackson Hole! Great wool, I toured the operation a long time ago. I once lost a pair of sleeping Indian pants in a poker game at deer camp.

Hmmmmm...

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but we never played strip poker at any of the hunting clubs to which I have belonged. wink

John
Originally Posted by GeoW

Looks like somebody woke up.
Can't compete with Chinese slave labor with prices like that.
I have never used either. Are the Mackinaw close? [img:center]http://www.filson.com/products/mackinaw-field-pants.14010.html[/img]
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by Cartod

Hmmmmm...

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but we never played strip poker at any of the hunting clubs to which I have belonged. wink

John
I didn't say I was wearing them at the time. Maybe you are having a fantasy?
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I have never used either. Are the Mackinaw close? [img:center]http://www.filson.com/products/mackinaw-field-pants.14010.html[/img]

wabigoon: Hard to find a better wool pant than the Filson Mackinaw. Used them for years and in New England nothing else sees much use for me during deer season. Of course when I bought mine they didn't cost $245 bucks either!

The SI and KOM are a solid notch warmer and frankly they get used very little outside Canada(I have had bibs from both,not regular pants). The bibs are ridiculous and it has been hard to find a niche for them here, outside Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Last year I sold my KOM parka and bibs; kept the shirt and bomber jacket. Have my SI parka and bibs still.

Skane/George/Sam: About zero here, post storm front and a foot of snow....I will likely go the range today,and the SI bibs and parka will be with me for rolling around in the snow at 500 yards....still useful stuff and top quality but in truth they do not see much use here...it just never gets cold enough really during November hunting seasons.Canada is a different story.

Bob, you're not a hot-blooded Italian are you? grin
West German milsurp wool cargo pants are tough to top.
Are you thinking of selling any of your Sleeping Indian wool clothing? If so I am looking to buy certain pieces. Please contact me via my email: [email protected]
Who else compares to Sleeping Indian?

The KOM prices have increased a lot; seems unreasonable.

Any other wool makers filling this void?
Silent Predator
http://www.bernieparson.com/
The label "Sleeping Indian" denotes laziness and is an insult to our native American friends, so I for one am glad it is gone!

"Drunken Indian" would have been a more honest moniker don't you think? smile

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.
Have not used it but this stuff looks good. Not cheap.

http://weatherwool.com
Fred Asbell is still making wool clothing.
Re
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
The label "Sleeping Indian" denotes laziness and is an insult to our native American friends, so I for one am glad it is gone!

Sleeping indians, is what they become after they is done being drunken indians
Originally Posted by MagMarc

"Silent Predator clothing strives to make only the finest quality wool hunting gear. Created in Winnipeg, Manitoba by a wide range of outdoor enthusiasts, Silent Predator truly knows the cold and how to keep warm in."

Cool! I'll have to check them out.
i tried the Rampaging Negroes clothing but it just wasn't the same
http://s875.photobucket.com/user/bizypix/media/SH0l5GVl_zpsmslqubmb.jpg.html

Big whoop
What's the story behind the photo?
Originally Posted by Toddly
I once lost a pair of sleeping Indian pants in a poker game at deer camp.

You play strip poker at deer camp?
Your hunting buddies must be better looking than mine.
laugh
Originally Posted by LostHighway

The bear was cold.
Tried to steal his wool duds.
smile
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven

SI Clothing was located in Jackson Hole & obviously, you've never been there.

There's a bluff rock formation not far from the airport, north of town that looks like a sleeping Indian chief in head-dress & that's how SI clothing got it's namesake.

Sleeping Indian Mountain

Ted Ranck was a great guy, RIP.

MM

True to some degree, but the right weight wool, with the right undergarments for a given day is still hard to beat & when silence is golden, wool is still king, IMO.........fleece is the only thing close for quietness.

Lots of the synthetics are fairly good, but not quiet at the silence of wool.

JMHO, JMMV.

MM

Originally Posted by petr

The KOM prices have increased a lot; seems unreasonable.

I won't argue that it is expensive stuff but I'm planning on getting 30-40 years out of my KOM stuff. After 26 or 27 years they are still in pretty fair shape and the do have good mojo going for them.

It doesn't have to be bone chilling weather either as they're flexible depending on layering underneath of course.

[Linked Image]

Even works for spring gobbler, most days....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And more recently......

[Linked Image]

The quality of the build, size and location of pockets, zippers and lack of ANY type of fading all add to the value, IMO. I sure don't hunt as much as lots of you guys but I'd guess between spring and fall my KOM gets 50+ days of action each year and the only laundering it's ever had is from Mother Nature.

Lots of good options these days and that's a good thing.

I have KOM that I use and love the stuff for hunting on a stand, but I agree it is very expensive.

Grey Wolf Woolens is what I would purchase today if I had to do it again. My Son has this and it seems to have a much tighter weave which blocks wind better than my KOM and the GWW is as tough as nails. I highly recommend you google them.
KOM or Filson is some pretty good stuff.Quality does not come cheap.
For those that love SI, I was at the Harrisburg outdoor show this past weekend, and it seems someone bought the SI business and is back in business producing their line of wool again. The booth was swamped and I didn't get a chance to really talk to the guys, but I did talk to the guy selling Silent Predator wool just a couple booths down and he was pretty impressed with what they were selling.
Originally Posted by bbassi
For those that love SI, I was at the Harrisburg outdoor show this past weekend, and it seems someone bought the SI business and is back in business producing their line of wool again.

Stopped in that booth myself. Some really nice stuff.
© 24hourcampfire