Home
Posted By: northern_dave TLEE - 08/29/13
I spotted this rag ball on a dark county road this morning, out on the damn road. On the road like someone tossed it out of a car, like it didn't know why it was there or how it got there. Only thing for sure is it was gonna get pancaked soon.

The semi truck in front of me just missed it, as did I. I thought it was a wad of trash until I was wizzing past it at 60 mph. Then there was that little kid spirit inside me that said "awwwwe"

Chit...

Here's your before picture of hwy rescue cat.

[Linked Image]

I txt Pam, she went and got it.

Mama and the kids are cleaning him up now and caring for him/her/it... what ever it is.

Cats and me... well we aren't always cool with each other. More specifically, I'm not always cool with cats.

I'll likely regret the rescue, many times over.

But for now, the little animal is safe.

Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Hmm. I'd have to say you did good, Dave.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
good job!

The younger of my two cats turned up starving at a factory in California, circa 2002. Neurotic, annoying animal, but it's a rare evening when she's not plastered against me, purring as I watch TV.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Yep, good job Dave. Makes me wonder if there were any other ones around. Let's hope not!
Posted By: ingwe Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
I am not a cat person. But Good on You ND!
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
And once again, the heart overwhelms the mind of a logical man.....

Not a cat guy either......

smile

Bob
Posted By: northern_dave Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
WTF am I going to do with this thing?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A strong storm just rolled through, If this thing wouldn't have gotten splattered by a car it likely would have died in this downpour.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
No good deed goes unpunished. That cat will take to you like a burr to a long haired retriever. You will never have another set of clothes without cat hair on it.

Then one day, either very soon or perhaps years from now, your good karma will be repaid in a way that you won't even connect with this cat.
Posted By: mikeymjr23 Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
I HATED cats...until 5 years ago when my wife (we had just started dating) suggested we rescue a kitten, and since my apartment allowed cats, I should take him in.

5 years later, and a LARGE vet bill later (pancreatitis), Kirby is a little bundle of deamon one moment, and then a loving bundle of fur the next.

Kids are at home taking care of the damn thing. Daughter says it's a girl cat.

Got a bad cold or something, not breathing real good I guess.

Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Probably pregnant, too. wink
Posted By: 257wby Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Sounds like a vet visit is in your near future. Mattery eyes and cough/wheeze do not spell good things for young cats. Farm cats would show up like that and get distemper and be gone soon thereafter. Get the little gal checked out pdq
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
No good deed goes unpunished. That cat will take to you like a burr to a long haired retriever. You will never have another set of clothes without cat hair on it.

Then one day, either very soon or perhaps years from now, your good karma will be repaid in a way that you won't even connect with this cat.

This^^^^^. You're a good man Dave and I have no doubt it shines through in the daughter (and son if I remember correctly).

Bob
Daughter has been calling on a local vet lady, waiting for an answer. I'm sure the little white critter will get a ride in to see the animal nurse today.

Hope it turns out okay.

Cats do reduce heating bills in the winter smile
Posted By: luv2safari Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Get the little girl cat fixed up. You and she will be connected at the hip from now on. wink
Posted By: smithwr Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Probably pregnant, too. wink

POW!! good for you man.
too little for that.
Posted By: Gadfly Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Originally Posted by northern_dave
too little for that.

I thought you already had a cat (Gary, the filthy outside cat, as I recall). If he's still around, you'll be in the kitten business quicker than you think!
Posted By: temmi Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Good man

Posted By: Mac84 Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Fine job Dave.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
grinDave, rescued cats have a scary way of KNOWING just who their saviors are and that girl kitty will be a furry lover to ya. Good for you, BUT I would NOT have expected any less from a guy like you grin
Posted By: RWE Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
just make it an indoor cat.

my outdoor cat is hell on mice and field rats, but she coughs up twice as much as she takes in, and usually on the porch.
Posted By: heavywalker Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Originally Posted by RWE
just make it an indoor cat.

my outdoor cat is hell on mice and field rats, but she coughs up twice as much as she takes in, and usually on the porch.

My front porch looks like a war zone at times, mice, shrews, birds, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, moles, snakes... if it comes in the yard it gets killed by the cats. The other day I had to throw away my welcome mat because one of the cats killed and ate a rabbit on it, there was schit everywhere.

Originally Posted by Gadfly
too little for that.

I thought you already had a cat (Gary, the filthy outside cat, as I recall). If he's still around, you'll be in the kitten business quicker than you think!

naw, gary is no longer.

he got into something really bad, not sure what as I have no poison laying around but he got sick beyond recovery and I put him down.

Posted By: safariman Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
grinDave, rescued cats have a scary way of KNOWING just who their saviors are and that girl kitty will be a furry lover to ya. Good for you, BUT I would NOT have expected any less from a guy like you grin

Yes plus 10 on above, plus taking the kitten to the vet ASAP. One small kitten that I rescued came to us with a resperatory infection but now she is my precious little tummy hugger. She would have died without antibiotics. Due to coming to us tiny and sick, she has never been bigger than four lbs. I also rescued an XXL Maine Coon cat that I named Titus and they are both great additions to our home.

Here is Titus, stealing my Ovaltine in a rather unique and resourceful manner. I found him in the mountains on HWY 204 starving to death, licking the slime from a just removed road kill deer trying to get some kind of nutrition into his empty and growling stomach. He came right up to our car and ate kitten chow out of my wife's hand immediately. (We keep some handy in the jeep at all times for just such incidents) He then rode in the jeep just fine for hours and loves going for car rides and sits up on the seats of our two motorcycles when we are not out riding them. The whole niehborhood has adopted this big, soft loving lap cat. He is truly a gentle giant with IMMENSE patience toward Milo the supercharged mini Daschund.

[Linked Image]

This is 4lb Cameo. She loves to get up onto my tummy and chest, wrap her little front legs around me as best she can into a hug, 'knead' her little paws on my chest and then as I pet her, her underbite causes her to literally drool all over my shirt. Somehow, I don't mind at all....

[Linked Image]

I used to be quite the cat destroyer, shot many feral cats on site over the years, but God had me fall in love with a cat lover lady (who is TOTALLY worth it, BTW) and live with FIVE cats plus two and 1/2 dogs as penance, I think smile Last night I had our big white cat sleeping cuddled up to my face all night, with my sweet wife Sherri snuggled up to my back. Life is GOOD!

Posted By: RWE Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Mine's purging like a supermodel on vacation.

Gorging herself on bunnies and field rats, topping off with some dry food, passing on fresh water to drink out of a stump and blowing chunks like the foam unit on an airport fire rig.

Got fan patterns of fur, blood and guts spewed out all over the place, with a heaping hairball of goo at the apex.

HAVE FUN DAVE!

[Linked Image]
yeah we've got the supercharged mini doxie thing for the cat to condoned with too, it will be interesting.

Originally Posted by RWE
Mine's purging like a supermodel on vacation.

Gorging herself on bunnies and field rats, topping off with some dry food, passing on fresh water to drink out of a stump and blowing chunks like the foam unit on an airport fire rig.

Got fan patterns of fur, blood and guts spewed out all over the place, with a heaping hairball of goo at the apex.

HAVE FUN DAVE!

Sounds lovely.

lol
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
If Pam has a garden, the varmints who raid it will be on stand down.
Posted By: Gadfly Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Originally Posted by Gadfly
too little for that.

naw, gary is no longer.

he got into something really bad, not sure what as I have no poison laying around but he got sick beyond recovery and I put him down.

Sounds like it's time for a new filthy outside cat. Hmmm, Mary the filthy outside cat.....
We've damn near got a petting zoo with all our critters. Pam has a post on a local facebook page for the kitten. if nobody claims it I suppose it can stay. Either way it will be going in for some antibiotics and shots asap.

Posted By: ratsmacker Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
I rescued a tortoiseshell calico once, and 18 years later, I bawled when I had to have her put down.

They're like a fungus, they grow on ya.
rescue cat:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: okok Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
OWNED! laugh Kudos to you!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
i'm going offshore this weekend, send it overnight mail

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CxHzOduU7Mg[/video]
Posted By: ironbender Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Pears, brudder. Pears!
Posted By: Teal Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Not a cat person either and I do shoot and kill my fair share of critters but damn Dave, good on you for not allowing something to suffer needlessly. Adopt her, love her and go to your maker knowing you helped something that couldn't help itself.

Not a cat person but I am cool with Jake and Stella, our 2 Abbys.

Jake after a rough day of sleeping and licking his balls:
[Linked Image]

Stella after a rough day of sleeping and trying to seduce Jake:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: T LEE Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Aw man, that is NEAT and you will have a grateful friend I am betting. Dang CUTE little cat.

You are a good man Sir.
Posted By: safariman Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Teal,

We have an Abby, as well. Fun cats, and ours actually PLAYS with Milo the supercharged Dacshund puppy. Amazingly soft fur they have, thusly ours is named KIWI.

ND, you have a zoo? We have five cats (all rescue's) and 2.5 dogs also rescue animals. What is your count?

Good on ya, regardless.

Posted By: colodog Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
You're a good guy!

Any names come to mind??
Lucky
Speed bump
Hi-Way
Just trying to help! whistle
Originally Posted by safariman
Teal,

We have an Abby, as well. Fun cats, and ours actually PLAYS with Milo the supercharged Dacshund puppy. Amazingly soft fur they have, thusly ours is named KIWI.

ND, you have a zoo? We have five cats (all rescue's) and 2.5 dogs also rescue animals. What is your count?

Good on ya, regardless.

5 dogs and a puffball kitten.
Originally Posted by colodog
You're a good guy!

Any names come to mind??
Lucky
Speed bump
Hi-Way

I thought it was a wad of trash on the road... not sure if "Trash" is a good name though.

Rags?

I dunno.

Me and Joey (My 9 yr old son) pried the little critters mouth open and jammed in a little chunk of tuna out of a can. Yeah, she went carnivore mode immediately.

I let her eat some more just to get something in her stomach but waiting for Pam to get home with the right food and some antibiotics and what ever else she's bringing.

This stupid thing aint in real good shape, I'm thinking it was tossed out the car window at 60 mph.

The one eye dont look too good. We'll do our best with it.

WTF am I going to do with this thing?

May I suggest a spicy stir-fry? laugh
[Linked Image]
BTW.....

[Linked Image]
Hmmm, those seem very familiar for some reason! smile
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: TLEE - 08/29/13
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Hmm. I'd have to say you did good, Dave.

This. Some of the best animals I have ever owned were rescues.

Ed
Sadly, T, my girl kid's 22 lb cat is entering his final years. Not fat...just really freaking BIG.

I may miss him. He's kinda cool - for a cat.
Posted By: toad Re: TLEE - 08/30/13
good job Dave.

we have four rescue cats. one came from a box in the Ranch Supply parking lot, one came from the animal shelter, the third wandered into our house as a bony starving kitten, and the latest came from an abandonded building at work. she was surviving on her own but I started feeding her and four months later she was sleeping in bed with us...

and one retired ranch dog that 'barely tolerates' them. I was never really a cat person, but like somebody else said, a rescued cat will try to thank you every day.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: TLEE - 08/30/13
The critter is pumped fulla wormer meds and penicillin .... And cat fewds

I think the critter is gonna make it.
Posted By: eh76 Re: TLEE - 08/30/13
I did better I rescued a game wardens dog today wink He lost one of his lion dogs and I found it..put him in my truck and then called the guy. He was exercising 4 of his and this one didn't come back last night. He was happy as heck I found him.
Posted By: ironbender Re: TLEE - 08/30/13
You can pass go and collect 200 dollah!
send it punk......... grin
Posted By: toad Re: TLEE - 08/30/13
The critter is pumped fulla wormer meds and penicillin .... And cat fewds

I think the critter is gonna make it.

better get a litter box, litter, and a scooper then... sick
Oh, I'm bringing it!
Posted By: BC30cal Re: TLEE - 08/30/13
northern dave;
Thanks for the thread that made me smile on a day when I could use one Dave.

As others have already said, I too think you did a good thing - so a tip of my battered Bailey for doing so Dave.

Hopefully this finds you and your fine family doing well, that you are ready for this hunting season and that you'll have lots of good luck on many hunts this fall Dave.

Dwayne

PS;
I hope the white fur ball turns into a killer and helps rid your yard of rodents and vermin of all sizes.

Originally Posted by ironbender
Oh, I'm bringing it!

better be in person wink
A day you will rue!

Total rue-age, dude!
Call ahead I'll fire up the BGE wink
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: TLEE - 08/30/13
Here we go.....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/2...nd-taken-away-in-crates/?test=latestnews
Posted By: calikooknic Re: TLEE - 08/30/13
Rescued this one,
[Linked Image]

Which begat this one,
[Linked Image]

Then this one,
[Linked Image]

Get her fixed!
not enough Winchester cat food I take it.............
Good lord why?

a fixin is in short order.

(still alive, improving)
Posted By: T LEE Re: TLEE - 08/30/13
They do grow on ya.
Good news Dave.
Still kickin T.

We had a planned long weekend out at our deer camp... so the damn thing is just going to have to come along so we can keep an eye on it.

smile smile smile

Hook, Line & Sinker, I love it.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: TLEE - 08/30/13
Camp kitty.

She might like it out there.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: TLEE - 09/02/13
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Rescued this one,
[Linked Image]

Which begat this one,
[Linked Image]

Then this one,
[Linked Image]

Get her fixed!

Holy [bleep] this made me laugh! HAHA

You could start your own reality show - "Retard Rescues and the men who love them" laugh

Dave,
Good on you for saving that kitten. I grew up with cats so I actually kind of like them but wife is allergic so we don't have any.
Posted By: KC Re: TLEE - 09/02/13

I know I'm sick but this is what I think of cats.

KC

Posted By: 12344mag Re: TLEE - 09/02/13
Good for you Dave, I'm also glad to know that I'm not the only Sucker around...

SUCKA!!
Posted By: northern_dave Re: TLEE - 09/09/13
improving

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MadMooner Re: TLEE - 09/09/13
I thought I killed that one after looking at the 223AI thread?
Posted By: northern_dave Re: TLEE - 09/09/13
Dude, you'll go blind!!!
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: TLEE - 09/09/13
What a cute little gal. Good on you, Dave.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: TLEE - 09/09/13
Originally Posted by colodog
You're a good guy!

Any names come to mind??
Lucky
Speed bump
Hi-Way

Roadkill!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: TLEE - 09/09/13
Looks like yer gonna have a nice fluffy friend.
Posted By: T LEE Re: TLEE - 09/10/13
Looking lots better Sir, you is a GOOD MAN!
Posted By: northern_dave Re: TLEE - 10/17/13
Still kicking, best buds with eener the weener dog.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: TLEE - 10/17/13
that cat...my black lab...snack or self propelled retrieving dummy
Posted By: eh76 Re: TLEE - 10/17/13
eener would be in the same category....sorry...
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: TLEE - 10/17/13
that looks like one of those fancy fluffy spensive' cats on the cover o' that cat fancy magazine that i see the weird middle age'd wimmin lookin at when i buy the dogs food..
Posted By: RBuck Re: TLEE - 10/17/13
Ya done good dave....any friend of a cat...is a friend I'd like to have.
Posted By: Otter Re: TLEE - 10/17/13
Good on ya, Dave. I'm not big on cats but I hate animal abuse/abusers with every fiber within me. We have 6 dogs . . . all rescues. Two of them are either on my lap or asleep at my feet all the time, two do the same with my bride and two pretty much like to be by themselves. Had a friend ask me how we ended up with 6 dogs, I replied "the same way you got all of your kids - one at a time."

Kudos to you, again, Dave.
© 24hourcampfire