Home
Posted By: Plinker Is 108/54 low blood pressure? - 09/05/13
How low would blood pressure have to be to be a concern?

Yes, I had my BP checked today. It was 108/54. That's the lowest I've ever seen it.
Seems low to me. But not real low. Could depend on the time and situation of your test.
Without BP meds I'm 180's over 1teens! Wanna trade conditions?
That's low, but it is normal for some folks. If you're getting dizzy when standing or something like that, might be a concern, otherwise likely not.

On any meds that might cause this?? Any thyroid issues??? Diabetes??
I take bp meds and run 110 over 62 or so. I have heart disease so that is good that I am that area. Your 108 is probably okay. Your 54 is a bit low. If your pressure has dropped a lot from prior levels you might want to discuss that with your physician. In the US optimal blood pressure for a healthy person (no heart disease) is less than 120 over 80.
That is great as long as you feel fine. What is your resting pulse?
Yes, diabetes. But I'm tired all the time.
Dehydration from diabetes (are you well controlled??) Hypothyroid?? You might also need to have your lytes checked to make sure there are no kidney issues. Usually, HIGH blood pressure is seen early/pre kidney problems, the low blood pressure I see is late(diabetes hastens/complicates this). Seen your doc lately?? Likely nothing, but a little more concerning when you throw fatigue in the picture.
Originally Posted by Plinker

Yes, I had my BP checked today. It was 108/54. That's the lowest I've ever seen it.

The range of systolic blood pressure for most healthy adults falls between 90 and 120 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg). Normal diastolic blood pressure ranges between 60 and 80 mm Hg. Current guidelines define normal blood pressure range as lower than 120/80.
http://www.medicinenet.com/low_blood_pressure/page2.htm#what_is_low_blood_pressure

Was your BP checked at the Dr or a 'while you wait' machine in a store?

That site above also says:
Unlike high blood pressure, low blood pressure is defined primarily by signs and symptoms of low blood flow and not by a specific blood pressure number. Some individuals routinely may have blood pressure numbers of 90/50 with no symptoms and therefore do not have low blood pressure. However, others who normally have higher blood pressures may develop symptoms of low blood pressure if their blood pressure drops to 100/60.

If you are chronically fatigued, you might to go get checked.
Good post 'bender.
Mine is usually about 105 over 70. That's my normal & has pretty much stayed that way all my life. Beats the Heck outta high blood pressure any old day cool
If I had a patient in the hospital with a bp of 108/54 I might hold their next dose of bp medicine and recheck, but I wouldn't be concerned unless they were symptomatic, i.e. rapid heart beat, respirations, or dizziness when standing or sitting up.

I often recheck bp with a manual cuff rather than the automated machines because a lot of factors can throw those machines off. Improper placement, too loose, etc.

What's your normal? Do you check at home?

If your pulse is normal and respirations are normal and you're not getting dizzy when standing or sitting up quickly, I wouldn't be too concerned.

If your not having problems with dizziness, fainting, or anything like that after you stand up, under exercise, or any other physical changed then your BP is great. We generally start to worry about a low BP when its symptomatic and a systolic pressure under 100 mmHg.

That's low unless you're on blood pressure lowering meds. I don't think it's low enough to be a concern, but obviously you should run it past your doctor.

PS Some quick ways to raise your blood pressure are to eat something salty (which raises blood volume) and drinking down a few glasses of water. Then test again.

The 54 is slightly lower than optimum.

You may want to mention it to your doctor.

Most any doctor you speak to will tell you that low blood pressure is worse than high.

Check it out.

-Ken

any bleeding out the eyeballs or rectum? excess saliva or ear wax? hows the toe fungus count? feel free to check in with Dr Internet any time.
Is it the same in both arms?
I would look at hypothyroid, definitely, if you are tired. I have that and hate it. The pills are cheap, tho.

I used to have low BP, about like yours. I would have to do a
"fighter pilot grunt" if I got up too fast off the couch after a nice relaxation session. But since you have diabetes, there's probably something else going on. Time for a physical and a nice blood workup.
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I would look at hypothyroid, definitely, if you are tired. I have that and hate it. The pills are cheap, tho.

i have it aswell.....pain in the arse.....

Plinker:

I too woke up one morning with low blood pressure and was so fatigued that I could barely operate. I took my blood pressure at home and was 95/50 (I'm normally 120/75). I waited 20 minutes and took it again and was still low.

My wife drove me to the doctor's office and he diagnosed atrial fibrillation. Ultimately, I had ablation therapy and the fibrillation went away. So did my fatigue.

Don't mess around ! Go and see your doctor.
I take Toprol daily for my BP. Just checked, and my numbers were 114/70. Heart rate at 70.
That is about the norm for me.
My BP today at my appointment was 102/68, two hours later it was 122/80.

I take Lopressor (Angina), Enalapril and HCTZ. Never had it go so low before, a lot scary actually. I take Metformin, and apparently that can cause problems with low BP too.

Have to do blood tests that include cardiac testing, praying it's nothing.
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Is 108/54 low blood pressure? - 09/06/13
Stress Test for you Lynn. give em hell.

129/68 for me. Take something for BP, something for blood sugar (janumet) and my baby aspirin. cool
What is your A1C level? And blood sugar level?
© 24hourcampfire