Home
Posted By: T LEE Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Been trying for two days to get a shot at the bastard, he has decimated my daughters poultry, kills the chickens or ducks and leaves them to rot. She also has a cat missing.

Son-in-Law missed with the shotgun the other day but all he had was #8 so he might have got some in it, damn thing is wicked quick and wary as hell.

Staked out in the Sportage with the binoculars and a .357 lever gun. GRRRRR, I want this thing bad!

So far about $300.00 worth of chickens and ducks gone to waste as well as a lot of eggs.
Posted By: ironeagle_84 Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Smoke 'im Terry.
Posted By: g5m Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Had to find out what it is and this:

Switch Zoo says these lizards get to 7 feet long, eat eggs and critters and live up to 15 years.

Dang.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Doom on you, Lizard. TLEE is gunning for you.

Must see pics when you sort him out, Terry.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
This is still a little one, about 3-3.5 feet. There is a colony of them in Cape Coral and they been moving this way. Killed one a few years ago down there when I spotted it sunning in the pasture. I sure don't want them getting a colony going here.

If I get it I will post pics.
Posted By: g5m Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Stuff it?
A mount?
Edible?
Posted By: EWY Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Good luck and good hunting.

Ernie
Posted By: Partsman Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Scorched earth policy
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Go get'em Tlee!! Carpet bomb that SOB.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Get 'em TLee.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Snare
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Kill them all
Posted By: ingwe Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
The lizard apparently has never seen the iconic pic of T Lee with the shotgun....
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Ol' liz thought that dove and skeet load of #8's was Terry's doin'.

He's fixin' to be surprised when the real TLee shows up to the party.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
we have those down in Miami as well. Nasty bit of work.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13

Can they be trapped?
Posted By: okok Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
That's close to the size of my lizard laugh

I've never heard of those TLEE , snap a picture after you kill it.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Originally Posted by T LEE
Been trying for two days to get a shot at the bastard, he has decimated my daughters poultry, kills the chickens or ducks and leaves them to rot. She also has a cat missing.

Son-in-Law missed with the shotgun the other day but all he had was #8 so he might have got some in it, damn thing is wicked quick and wary as hell.

Staked out in the Sportage with the binoculars and a .357 lever gun. GRRRRR, I want this thing bad!

So far about $300.00 worth of chickens and ducks gone to waste as well as a lot of eggs.
Damn! I feel for you. Likely the descendent of someone's pet, the species of which finds our climate to its liking. I'd be pissed off too were I losing chickens to something like that. You expect foxes and hawks to be gunning for your chickens, but not a friggen Nile Monitor. Good luck catching it. Might want to try to set some traps bated with meat, or even a live chicken.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Where's the old Marbles game getter when you need one!
Originally Posted by g5m
Stuff it?
A mount?
Edible?
Of course it's edible. Tastes like chicken. grin
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
we have those down in Miami as well. Nasty bit of work.
You moved to Miami??? When?
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Does now!! Ii mean taste like chicken!
Here's what he's up against, folks.

Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Does now!! Ii mean taste like chicken!
grin Yeah, after eating a few, right?
Posted By: T LEE Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Got a couple of large live traps set out with eggs in them. I would put out some big leg holds but there is to many pets and calves on the property plus the pigmy goats.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Light that bastid up with some hot lead Terry!!

Bob
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Drone strike or call in a hit from Spooky!
Posted By: rattler Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
if you wind up body shooting the thing, ild love to have the skull off one of those bastards grin
Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
You'd better make sure than thing don't look like one of oberry's sons being in Florida!
Rattler is like a Dog on a bone when it comes to reptile threads. grin
dammit we all have our specialties laugh
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
But what if it's wearing a hoody?? smile

Bob
That's the great thing about this place! You can learn a lot; Like those Shrimp you bought...they still alive?
Originally Posted by Akbob5
But what if it's wearing a hoody?? smile

Bob

Or carrying a bag of skittles. lol
Originally Posted by okok
That's the great thing about this place! You can learn a lot; Like those Shrimp you bought...they still alive?

no, thinking they were on the old side when i got them.....most fish shops dont intentionally get them, they come in in live rock shipments so no clue on their history.....
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Did they taste good? smile
Gotcha.
Posted By: FVA Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/07/13
Sounds like a job for the Turtle Man!
Good luck Terry.
Posted By: k20350 Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/08/13
Elect a new leader that seems to get the natives riled up around the Nile area these days............. Might flush him out
Posted By: Jocko_Slugshot Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/08/13
Nile monitors love eggs. Bury some eggs in a place where you can ambush him but where he has to dig for a while to get them.

Smear some yolk around for some scent.

In fact, let him get a few freebies for a few days to make him less wary. Then blast his hide when he thinks he's getting another free meal.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/08/13
Saw lots in Thailand....scared the junk out of me a couple times when they would explode out from under your feet in the long grass.

Lizards DON'T belong in water IMHO...but I'm from AZ so what do I know?
Posted By: savageak Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/08/13
sad fact is that they are reproducing and spreading,just like the snakes futher south and neither will evr be removed completly now.and unreported fact is that ther is a breading population of cobra in Maini
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/08/13
Yeah. I have watched the explosion of non native species in Florida. Pretty sad.

Cobras...they taste good!
Posted By: arkypete Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/08/13
How about a dead chicken with large treble hooks embedded inside. Use shark line hooked to a stake.

Jim
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/08/13
Will a lizard that eats chicken taste like chicken?

Get'em T
Posted By: g5m Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/08/13
Originally Posted by savageak
.and unreported fact is that ther is a breading population of cobra in Maini

Where is Maini?
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/08/13
I figured that by now this thread would have morphed into what would be best to shoot'im with. Use enough gun? how much is enough? how much is too much? Or would a certain scent like predator urine spread around deter it? I don't think they make a Havahart trap that big so maybe it's gun time.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/08/13
I think the answer is obvious, myself...

grin
Posted By: djs Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/08/13
Originally Posted by T LEE

Here's a video of what a Nile Monitor can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA4HGSn_3LI
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/08/13
Originally Posted by djs
Here's a video of what a Nile Monitor can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA4HGSn_3LI
I used to have a Savana Monitor that I bought from a pet shop when it was about six inches long, nose to end of tail. By the time I had to find it a new home he had reached about four feet long.

He started on crickets. Them moved up to "pinkies." Then to adult mice. Then to immature rats. By the time he was four feet long, I was feeding him adult rats, and the scene in your vid is very familiar to me.

PS I knew a guy who had converted several rooms of his home to correctly accommodate his various pet reptiles, and he was happy to take him off my hands when he outgrew the huge tank I was keeping him in, which for him was getting way too small.
Posted By: rattler Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/08/13
just FYI you were feeding that savannah wrong.....granted it may have not been widely known back when you kept it....
Originally Posted by rattler
just FYI you were feeding that savannah wrong.....granted it may have not been widely known back when you kept it....
What should he have been fed? He sure did well on his diet.

PS I also gave him raw fish, live crayfish, meat leftovers, etc..
look at the head of a savannah versus a nile, should ring a bell that something different is going on there....you know those giant snails down your way they are freaking out about? those make up a majority of their diet in the wild.....general thought now is unless you can feed them a diet heavy in large invertebrates and lots of snails to just not keep them.....high diet of read meat leads to fatty liver disease, two lil calcium moving through the gut and a shorter life....

granted they do eat things like small mammals and birds if they come across them in the wild but their range overlaps with the nile and thats what the nile focuses on....the savvies spend most of their time looking for the large invertebrates that permeate the region....
Interesting. The common wisdom back then was mostly whole rodents.
most of this has come out in the last 5 years or so widely known anyways.....if yah read scientific papers you knew we werent feeding them anywhere close to their natural diet much earlier....
one of the many books sitting on my shelves crazy

[Linked Image]
most of this has come out in the last 5 years or so widely known anyways.....if yah read scientific papers you knew we werent feeding them anywhere close to their natural diet much earlier....
I remember reading somewhere that they eat a lot of snails in the wild, and did provide it with some form time to time. Common practice back then was, in fact, just stick with canned dog food. I didn't like the idea, so I stuck with whole foods like rodents, with the occasional crayfish and some raw fish thrown in for a change.
also have this one on my shelves which is damn interesting:

[Linked Image]
also have this one on my shelves which is damn interesting:

[Linked Image]
Wasn't that an Australian species?
yeah

[Linked Image]
About like a big croc. Of course crocs and monitors are quite distant relations.
except these were land based....only been one type land based croc in recent memory, Mekosuchine crocs, and it died out on Vanuatu and New Caledonia when people showed up.....these crocs may have even been slightly arboreal....
except these were land based....only been one type land based croc in recent memory, Mekosuchine crocs, and it died out on Vanuatu and New Caledonia when people showed up.....these crocs may have even been slightly arboreal....
I was rereading Dawkins's The Greatest Show On Earth a couple of weeks ago, and I've always found interesting his discussion of species classifications, particularly with regard to class designations. He points out the arbitrariness of the class distinction between birds and reptiles, making specific reference to the fact that lizards and birds are far more closely related by DNA than are, for example, lizards and turtles, yet lizards and turtles both occupy the reptilian class, while birds do not.
lizards and birds are a fair ways apart.....crocodilians, birds and mammals are fairly close relatively speaking though as if you include birds and dinosaurs they all showed up at about the same time.....huge difference between lizards and crocs physiologically....
lizards and birds are a fair ways apart.....crocodilians, birds and mammals are fairly close relatively speaking though as if you include birds and dinosaurs they all showed up at about the same time.....huge difference between lizards and crocs physiologically....
Yep. You're right. It was crocs and birds/crocs and turtles, not lizards and birds/lizards and turtles.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/08/13
Still trying, damn thing is way wary. Got out the scoped .223 now so I can sit further away.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/08/13
Tlee

Snares are the ticket

You still need to eat'em after though
Rattler, start watching this at 4:00. Really cool. I had always thought the T-Rex from JP was all CGI, but it looks like much of it was actually animatronics. Amazingly well done.

it was split between the two......heavy on CG but they used anematronics for a fair bit.....in the first one, the triceratops on its side was "real" most any of the rex where it wasnt walking.....even some of the raptor stuff....
Posted By: Notropis Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/09/13
Keep in mind that it is an African-American lizard (I am not sure whether they are sensitive about being called lizards. What is the most recent PC name for them? I wonder.) and you do not want Jesse and Al coming down to your front yard. The Halfrican may even sick Holder and the IRS on you. It could get ugly.
Posted By: Steve Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/09/13
If O had a lizard...
Posted By: eyeball Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/09/13
Lee, dissolve some golden Malrin fly bait in some needle extracted egg yolk and re-inject it. But then, no barbecue lizard. grin
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/09/13
TLEE,hang pic's of Mooschell Obama around where the lizard has been seen.

Posted By: T LEE Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/09/13
smile smile smile
Posted By: eh76 Re: Damn Nile Monitor - 09/09/13
Brother I got a rifle you can borrow wink he won't even know you are around laugh
© 24hourcampfire