Home
This year it boggs down over about 1/2 throttle
Last year it needed another barometric pressure sensor
Two years ago I had fuel pressure problems
Prior to this the wiring harness was replaced and then the first barometric pressure sensor failed. Oh, and the plug wires come loose too.
I have been able to fix most of this stuff myself, but took it to the shop today. I'm thinking I need something with a carburetor and a pull start.
my 2004 carbed 660 Grizzly is doing fine..............
That couple of thousand saved by not buying Jap stuff always seems to be recouped in the end.
Polaris are high maintenance. Won't have one.
Seems like a common theme. They are beasts while running, but that isn't often enough
ivr got a 08 ranger 700efi... ill never have another polaris piece of chit EVER. Ill stick to Kawis, yammys, and maybe a honda.
If it's got tires or tits, you're gonna have problems with it.
I bought a Ranger 800 Crew in 2011, and sold it this spring. During that time the only trouble I had with it was having to replace a thermostat.

That being said, I think I'll go another route the next time I buy an ATV.
my 08 King Quad 750 has been flawless, and im hard on it

[Linked Image]
I had good luck with a 99 Polaris that I just sold back in July. Tore a couple CV boots and had a fitting near the radiator overflow tank crack. Other than that it was just preventative maintenance and boy did that thing have the grease fittings. Sorry to hear yours is costing you money and causing you grief.
Honda Rubicon still has a carb, the new Foreman is EFI though. I have 07 Foreman, 2000+ miles, 2 battery's (I plow a lot ) and I just ordered a brake cable because it's stretched and I'm out of adjustment ($16). I'm going to put a new plug in it this year just because it's 3-4 years old. Other than that it's been trouble free and it gets used hard. The poor thing is starting to look like it lost the war but runs great.

Our local fire hall has a couple of Polaris, they seem to require a lot of maintenance but they do sit around a lot.

I've owned five Polaris machines now and have not had anything unusual or extraordinary go wrong.
My 2006 Arctic Cat TRV 650 never fails me. It's a great machine. It even came with Arctic Cat's theft protection system......a Polaris cover. grin

Mart
My 800 runs like a top!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ltppowell
That couple of thousand saved by not buying Jap stuff always seems to be recouped in the end.

Exactly. Go Jap and don't look back. King Quad or Griz.
Originally Posted by mart
My 2006 Arctic Cat TRV 650 never fails me. It's a great machine. It even came with Arctic Cat's theft protection system......a Polaris cover. grin

Mart

TFF. Probably wouldn't slow down the Harley guys though.
I'm looking to buy a side by side UTV. Oklahoma ranch hunting and running around not worked too hard, just want to use something other than my FJ Cruiser.

I'm open to suggestions, currently considering the Arctic Cat, Kawasaki, Honda and possibly the Yamaha.

Based on this thread, and others, I don't think Polaris is on my radar.
Arctic Cat has a Suzuki engine I believe.
My 800 Polaris Ranger is one of the best purchases I have made for my small farm/acerage as of yet!

smile
We've got 6 Polaris 850s at work and they are like Cadillacs to ride....power steering, lots of power, automatic transmissions, huge cushy seats and giant floorboards. But I've averaged at least 40 hours a month on them this summer (just me, other guys were using them too). As soon as we started riding them more often than rarely they were dropping like flies. We just can't keep them running.

My cousin has a '07 Polaris 700 EFI with just over 2500 miles on it. It has been in the shop several times already, and it still doesn't run smooth or idle well at all.

Our '12 Yamaha Grizzly 450 has a little over 2000 miles on it and has never had a single hiccup.
Yup, they had trouble with some of the fuel injection stuff as far as I know they still do, that said I have a carbed 04 Sportsman 500 and the thing runs like a watch and never lets me down and I ride it like I stole it. When it comes time to replace this one I'll look for something carbed also.
New machines should run good. Mines a 1999? Honda 300 Fourtrax 4X4. I pull my buddies new Suzuli 750 4x4 up hills because it's too light in the front and wants to tip over. All this bigger is better and newer must be better is pure unadultaerated bullsh!t. The best 4 wheeling machine ever built is the Honda Fourtrax 4x4.
Cases in point-

1) Going down a semi-steep road grade and want to slip into stealth mode? Hold the shifter lever up with your foot and coast, either with engine on or off, let it out when you're ready to power up again. You don't have to come to a complete stop and switch a bunch of gears or levers then try to get your machine rolling again.

2) Roll start your machine if the battery dies because it's a manual transmission. My battery has never died.

3) Back up kick starter with compression release in case battery fails. Did I mention my battery has never died?

4) Low center of gravity for SERIOUS off roaders.

5) Narrow and short with no overhangs for going extremely unfriendly places other machines get hung up or tip over.

6) pulls thousands of pounds in a pinch, with no high range, low range, two wheel drive, four wheel drive levers to dick with. One range, one cylinder, full time 4x4, raw torque.

7)No stopping to shift into low range.

8)No stopping to shift into 4 wheel drive.

More Mechanics-

Starts every time with the push of a button. Does not run rough. Carburator does not load up. Carborator does not lean out. Spark plug goes forever. Does not smell. Does not sound like a snowmobile when you hit the gas. Does not have all the power robbed by an automatic transmission. Battery never dies. Lights always work. Nothing falls off. Nothing rattles loose.

It's light enough to go over snow with a little crust when everyone elses machine breaks through and gets stuck. I literally run circles around them while they dig. (Very satisfying by the way)

[Linked Image]

I could go on. Just say the word. Get a Honda Fourtrax 4x4 and go where you want while your buddies either work on their machine, are laying under their upside down machine asking you to pull it off of them, or wish they had listened to you when you told them to get one. My buddie spent over $9,000 on his POS Suzuki and I've used his winch to pull him up hills I climbed three times now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I gonna pose a question;

Did you leave [bleep] 10% ethanol gas in it for the last 6 to 9 months? Without
starting it for say maybe 2,3 months???

and did you bother to put any kind of stabilizer to preserve or slow the phase redux of said [bleep] gas???

Maybe you do have a mechanical issue, IDK - throwing that
out there.
Originally Posted by passport
My 800 runs like a top!

[Linked Image]
It ought to, it looks new.... and babied

My Polaris is a 1995.

it weeps oil from the auto injector and FILLS the Mikuni bowl with straight Blue Oil
I can yank the seat, filter, breather box and carb off and disassemble, flush with Gumout slap all back together in 20 minutes. If the atv sits for 30 days this [bleep] happens.

the counter balance dipstick is impossible to get to and that one qt of sae30 is a [bleep] to change (have only changed it once) then broke the dipstick plug and rod trying to get it back in. Dealer says gfy-discontinued part. I got a blob of blue RTV over the dipstick hole. lol

it needs a new battery every year, dead short/dead ground IDK WTF.

the proprietary plastic that the belt case cover is made out of warps if the engine/belt is hot and you plunge into a big ass water filled whooptidoo. Then the belt gets wet, squeals, loses friction then deteriorates. So plan on a new belt and new cover. DIY $200. Dont ride it thru water.

Btw, I'm on my second short block. (400 scrambler). Three days old, balls to wall, screamin down a trail.....kaboom- clunk...kaput!!!

seems as though some nifty little piece of teflon tape from assembly dislodged itself and took a trip down into my carb and settled in the jet, leaning
out the mixture and causing a catastrophic mechanical failure.

anyway....brag to us when she's ragged out and you got some grime under your fingernails.

I'm still riding mine, started it up tonight and killed 514 mosquitoes and almost a calico barn cat.

Made in USA- a few quirks but it's like being married. Cheaper to keep her
[Linked Image]

'11 Grizz 450 EPS
Originally Posted by kend
I'm thinking I need something with a carburetor and a pull start.

Nah, you just need something that doesn't have Polaris written on it.
a barometric pressure switch sounds like its over engineered to me.

I'm rebuilding both a polaris 4x4 and a Honda 4x4. In a few weeks I should be able to abuse them both.
I'm feeling my age I saw that your Polaris was in the shop and my first thought was 'I wonder where they can find parts for that old car?'
I think it was Dodge/Plymouth who made the Polaris.

Jim
I've got a Honda Rincon 650 and I ride with several people with Fourtrax 300's. They certainly cannot keep up with me in deep snow or situations where there is snow up very steep hills and you need to keep your speed up. Sometimes nothing makes up for more horsepower. It is bigger and weighs more, but at 600 pounds, it is certainly not a 900 pound beast like a Polaris or Arctic Cat. Mine has over 5000 miles and I haven't had one problem. Did I mention it is a "HONDA".
Owned a bunch of Polaris Sportsman 500's through the last 12 years or so....nary a problem that I didn't cause from abuse. I like the 500 platform...it's been around for years and they have all the bugs worked out of them.
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

'11 Grizz 450 EPS

You really put the miles on them don't you. smile

Guy that saw a need and opened a "used Bike/ATV shop" here had a 3' or so sign on the building that read "No Polaris Repairs". He is factory trained in all of the Jap brands and says he didn't have the time or the room for Polaris.
Friend of mine has a two-stroke Sportsman that I wouldn't mind having but otherwise I'm not that impressed with them.
Like Fireball, I have a FourTrax[2wd,96] and that thing is a tank!!!!
My aunt/uncle bought a '12 Polaris 500 Sportsman. It sounds like killing a cat when you start it. It sits in the garage while they ride their '97 Polaris 2 stroke 300 around.
Polaris outsells the next closest 2 or 3 brands - combined. So, because you sell the most, you're also going to need the most repairs and you're going to have internet "experts" saying the product is inferior. But that really doesn't mean the product is flawed, it is just simple statistics combined with a product that is often not just used, but abused. Take, for example Japanese autos. Same story. Now that they sell in numbers equal to Detroit autos you see that they lead the roster in factory defects for the past several years. No surprise.

You know, it's bad enough that a few have to bad mouth a product that is made in the U.S. by a U.S. company, but now you're bad mouthing a company that builds their product in Minnesota. You might want to reconsider your position.
Yep, and Chevy is the best thing since sliced bread and mom's apple pie. crazy
I'm pretty sure I heard that Polaris moved some of their production down to Mexico.
My dad had a Polaris 350, I think it was a '93. It lasted a couple years before the engine blew up.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
We've got 6 Polaris 850s at work and they are like Cadillacs to ride....power steering, lots of power, automatic transmissions, huge cushy seats and giant floorboards. But I've averaged at least 40 hours a month on them this summer (just me, other guys were using them too). As soon as we started riding them more often than rarely they were dropping like flies. We just can't keep them running.

Exactly what I've heard. Lovely machines to ride. Often have innovative technology. Just can't keep them running. I know people who travelled with spare belts and tools. They did have to replace belts in the boonies. Luckily, he is a mechanic. As a know nothing, I can't do that.

I would buy a Honda, Yamaha, or other Japanese.
Originally Posted by walt501
Polaris outsells the next closest 2 or 3 brands - combined. So, because you sell the most, you're also going to need the most repairs and you're going to have internet "experts" saying the product is inferior. But that really doesn't mean the product is flawed, it is just simple statistics combined with a product that is often not just used, but abused. Take, for example Japanese autos. Same story. Now that they sell in numbers equal to Detroit autos you see that they lead the roster in factory defects for the past several years. No surprise.

You know, it's bad enough that a few have to bad mouth a product that is made in the U.S. by a U.S. company, but now you're bad mouthing a company that builds their product in Minnesota. You might want to reconsider your position.

Bovine excrement!! The Rangers in our camp are the side by sides that have ALL the problems. They don't get used any harder than the Hondas and Yamahas, yet they're the ones that are in the shop much of the time. Not just the older ones, but the new ones too. Have two club members with Rangers that have spent more time in the shop during their first 6 months of ownership than than at home. One of the owners still has his old Grizzly, and uses it for backup. His warranty is up and he's almost afraid to use it because he just knows it's going to break again.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I'm looking to buy a side by side UTV. Oklahoma ranch hunting and running around not worked too hard, just want to use something other than my FJ Cruiser.

I'm open to suggestions, currently considering the Arctic Cat, Kawasaki, Honda and possibly the Yamaha.

Kubota
You all realize that internet tales of what is in the shop and what isn't are not verifiable and even if they were you're looking at a sample of a couple of machines that statistically is meaningless as far as brand reliability.

How about this. Why don't you all start acting like Americans instead of some import loving fools? You think you got a "reliable machine", when the reality is you sent your money overseas to help someone in a far off land while turning your backs on your fellow Americans. And then you come on here and crow about it? Fool.
Originally Posted by SEdge

Kubota

How dare you come to this American internet site and recommend a foreign brand!! whistle
Sorry about that Chief.
But if I could have afforded a Kubota, that is what would be sitting at my house instead of my other jap junk Rhino. grin
You all realize that internet tales of what is in the shop and what isn't are not verifiable and even if they were you're looking at a sample of a couple of machines that statistically is meaningless as far as brand reliability.

How about this. Why don't you all start acting like Americans instead of some import loving fools? You think you got a "reliable machine", when the reality is you sent your money overseas to help someone in a far off land while turning your backs on your fellow Americans. And then you come on here and crow about it? Fool.

GFY.
Originally Posted by badger

GFY.

Proving, once again, that rolling the genetic dice with one's cousin is never a good idea.
Slow down and READ the title of this thread a few times.
Polaris outsells the next closest 2 or 3 brands - combined.

I'd like some sources on that. The latest #s I could find was from 2002 and Polaris was #2 behind Honda and just ahead of Yamaha.

Honda 182,000
Polaris 157,700
Yamaha 145,600
Kawasaki 42,500
Artic Cat 42,500
Suzuki 30,300
Bombardier 5,700
Source: Ehlert Powersports Business

I don't know how Polaris could go from selling 157k units in 2002 and double that in 10 years go to selling more than 370k units which would be what Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki was selling. BACK then. Honda had a 15% lead on them. Are you arguing that in 10 years (ignoring any growth Honda may have had and they've had a bit) that Polaris made up that 15% and then quite a bit more?

I get growth but you can't assume that Honda and Yamaha aren't growing either. I don't really see Polaris kicking their butt to that degree, not against Yamaha and Honda. (Kawasaki maybe)

You're in MN - you're naturally going to see more Polaris product but don't assume what you see on the trail is indicative to the rest of the country.

I worked for a powersports dealer for a bit - Seeing what I saw there turned me off of Polaris for life.

Won't have one of any stripe. Neither will my friends and family. Some of them learned the hard way.

BS. One the other hand, my 500 Sportsman had the most comfortable ride and was able to climb [bleep] most people(in their right minds anyway) wouldn't try walking up. BUT, when it comes to reliability, Polaris doesn't match the JAP counterparts. We use ours (my friends that is) for hard use trail riding, not plowing a driveway, and the harder you use a Polaris, the more [bleep] starts breaking off and breaking down. That's not a guess, as I'll bet between myself and my riding buddies, we've owned over 50 quads. Polaris, Yamaha, Suzuki, one Honda, Can Am and a Bombardier. My friend split the frame on the brand new Bomber on the first ride (steering neck junction w/frame) but that was probably just a faulty weld.
well some say that honda is the best. when we started trail riding the 20 plus guys had more hondas then anything else. in 3 years we had one. to many problems with the hondas and all but one have been sold. motors,transmissions,brakes it semms everything fell apart on the hondas. around 10 of them have been riding polaris sense then with only minor problems ,mostly plastic brakes from hitting things. my 07 polaris 500x2 has been a very good atv for trail use and snow plowing.i'd buy another one.
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

'11 Grizz 450 EPS

You really put the miles on them don't you. smile

9000 miles in 24 months is not a lot of miles. There are some here who do put miles on their machines.

BTW, I like Polaris as a brand in the rigs they started the company with: snow machines. No one buys a second Polaris ATV around here. They just can't compete valuewise. That's a shame, but it's reality. People don't like wasting money even if it is in America.
Originally Posted by srwshooter
well some say that honda is the best. when we started trail riding the 20 plus guys had more hondas then anything else. in 3 years we had one. to many problems with the hondas and all but one have been sold. motors,transmissions,brakes it semms everything fell apart on the hondas. around 10 of them have been riding polaris sense then with only minor problems ,mostly plastic brakes from hitting things. my 07 polaris 500x2 has been a very good atv for trail use and snow plowing.i'd buy another one.

You realize a kid might read that and not realize you're joking, don't ya?
My vote is for Honda...nobody ever made another 4-wheeler as tough as those old 250's you used to see everywhere back in the late 80's to early 90's. I still see a few around that are still being ridden. Mine is an '04 Foreman with around 7000 miles on it. Ive wrecked it, flipped it, sunk it,and drug my 20 foot Skeeter around with it. Ive even drug a 16' flatbed out of the woods behind it loaded with firewood and its still running strong... though its not much to look at anymore.

Laffin.......

Originally Posted by RRA223
My vote is for Honda...nobody ever made another 4-wheeler as tough as those old 250's you used to see everywhere back in the late 80's to early 90's. I still see a few around that are still being ridden. Mine is an '04 Foreman with around 7000 miles on it. Ive wrecked it, flipped it, sunk it,and drug my 20 foot Skeeter around with it. Ive even drug a 16' flatbed out of the woods behind it loaded with firewood and its still running strong... though its not much to look at anymore.

The sport quads like the 250R and the newer 450's are great and indestructible and a ton of fun to blast down fire roads with much like the Banshee and 700 Raptors.

GFY.

Proving, once again, that rolling the genetic dice with one's cousin is never a good idea.

Pray tell. Your stupidity is breathtaking, as is your misguided opinion. The numerous times that I've towed broken Rangers back to camp, and the equally numerous times I've spent working on them to try and get them mobile again, sometimes on my back in the mud, is no internet tale. Hard to be ra-ra-ra over a POS, and many Polaris owners will tell you themselves.

Must be tough to be a window licking union member. I spend my money where I'll see the best return, and if it happens to be a non American product, so be it. I will buy the product that is IMO, going to serve me best, and I won't be a schill for something that is sub-par, regardless of it's origin.

So, in my politest, gentlest manner, GFY!

I bought Polaris because it is American made. I have had problems and it's a PITA when it breaks during hunting season. Mine has one specific design defect that they continue to ignore. I love the ride and the power, but I'm not buying another one. Ken
I have a 2005 Polaris 700 EFI and my hunting buddy has a 2004 Polaris 700 EFI. Between us the only problem encountered was on his machine and turned out to be the very thin 3 wire cable that plugs into air intake. Wires are the size of small telephone wires and break from vibration. Symptoms were a rough idle and smoke out the exhaust pipe. Fixed mine before I had a problem. That's it, no complaints here about Polaris machines.
Originally Posted by TomA
I have a 2005 Polaris 700 EFI and my hunting buddy has a 2004 Polaris 700 EFI. Between us the only problem encountered was on his machine and turned out to be the very thin 3 wire cable that plugs into air intake. Wires are the size of small telephone wires and break from vibration. Symptoms were a rough idle and smoke out the exhaust pipe. Fixed mine before I had a problem. That's it, no complaints here about Polaris machines.

Barometric pressure sensor wires are jammed against the intake and wear until they break. There is no fix without redesign. I'm on my second one.

I don't like sending my money overseas less than breaking down 30 miles from my truck. Honda makes a great machine and I hate spending the night in the forest unexpectedly.
You sound like someone who either works at Polaris or is loyal to familiy and friends that do, not someone who rides and is objective in his opinion.
In my book, there's something wrong with your testimony.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I don't like sending my money overseas less than breaking down 30 miles from my truck. Honda makes a great machine and I hate spending the night in the forest unexpectedly.
You sound like someone who either works at Polaris or is loyal to familiy and friends that do, not someone who rides and is objective in his opinion.
In my book, there's something wrong with your testimony.

its a great model

you buy poorly built stuff by Americans, and in turn it doesn't last as long, so you have to buy another one sooner, thus keeping them employed. You're a patriot!
I never went through a whole tank of gas without having to take my 96 Polaris 400 to the shop for work. They never did figure out what the problem was with it. My brother has the same model with a serial # only a couple of numbers off from mine and he seldom has any problems at all. It is still going strong.

About 5 years ago a thief cut the chain on gate to our property and the chain to my Polaris. They stole my Polaris 400, my sons Honda and a trailer. My brothers Polaris was parked right next to mine and they left it. I couldn't have wished anything worse on a thief than that Polaris 400.
When I was in the market for an ATV last year, I visited a local dealer that sold Hondas and used to sell Polaris alongside the Hondas.

He told me that he recently stopped selling Polaris because they had too many problems and he was receiving too much negative feedback from angry customers, thereby putting his business' good name in jeopardy.

According to the owner of the shop, the Polaris machines hade a 42% return rate for warranty repairs. The Hondas had less than 1% warranty work over the same time period.

I bought a Yamaha....
7 pages and no one said buy a king quad and just ride??/ what gives here???....Suzuki! �First on 4 Wheels� .
Originally Posted by atvalaska
7 pages and no one said buy a king quad and just ride??/ what gives here???....Suzuki! �First on 4 Wheels� .

See the above Suzuki buried in the snow.
I had a Yamaha Rhino that probably cost me double what I originally paid for it in repairs. Walked out more than once with that pos staying right where it crapped out. Come back n tow it out a day or 2 later and back in the shop it would go. I did a good bit of research before buying a Polaris XP 900. I love it so far and the fact that I spent the money on an American product is a bonus. I've had several Hondas and still have an 02 that I use regularly for hunting n work. I also have a 05 Polaris Sportsman 700. Both have their ups and downs but overall are solid machines. I have not seen much difference between them as far as down time or repairs. Regular maintenance n they do what they are supposed to. 163bc
Have an '06 700 EFI Sportsman that has been rode and worked hard around the farm and on hunting trips, only maintenance and a RR boot so far.

It handily hauls drunk 'Fire members back to their respective barracks as well. grin

Gunner
Originally Posted by arkypete
I'm feeling my age I saw that your Polaris was in the shop and my first thought was 'I wonder where they can find parts for that old car?'
I think it was Dodge/Plymouth who made the Polaris.

Jim

Yes Jim,
.. Yes it was. 1981 with a 1968 Polara, 383.. best muscle car I ever owned.

If you ride one into a lake it'll sink too.
I got it back today and feel lucky it only cost me $198. Mechanic did several things and isn't sure which was the fix, but I'm happy. I don't know if it's because it's hunting season here or what, but the repair shop was almost void of ATV's in for repair. Deer camp tomorrow. Ken

...... they don't come with a good driver ...u earn that! 800 rmk is for snow smile
Originally Posted by smarquez
If it's got tires or tits, you're gonna have problems with it.

Spoken from experience.

Ask me how I know blush Well about one of them at least; I buy Jap cars to support american workers

GFY.

Pray tell. Your stupidity is breathtaking, as is your misguided opinion. The numerous times that I've towed broken Rangers back to camp, and the equally numerous times I've spent working on them to try and get them mobile again, sometimes on my back in the mud, is no internet tale. Hard to be ra-ra-ra over a POS, and many Polaris owners will tell you themselves.

Must be tough to be a window licking union member. I spend my money where I'll see the best return, and if it happens to be a non American product, so be it. I will buy the product that is IMO, going to serve me best, and I won't be a schill for something that is sub-par, regardless of it's origin.

So, in my politest, gentlest manner, GFY!

Well said. American made junk is still junk. Thanks anyway, but I'll pass on it.
I have had a Kawasaki Mule for 10 years now.Its a hard starter in the winter,but I have done nothing but put gas and oil in it ,plus change tranny and differential fluid.I haul 1500lb bails of hay with it and use it for hunting.It needs a muffler.It does`nt go fast,but it always gets were I am going.If this one pukes ,I will buy another.
Originally Posted by RRA223
.... Honda...nobody ever made another 4-wheeler as tough as those old 250's you used to see everywhere back in the late 80's to early 90's. I still see a few around that are still being ridden.

Those and their 300 TRXs were hard to beat. Unfortunately, even Honda hasn't been able to meet let alone beat those machines (and their engines) in terms of reliability.

Walt, You do realize that this is the internet, and all you're going to get here are internet "tales", whether failures or successes.
Yep those 300's were hard to beat too.
my 96 400 polaris and 86 350 honda - being taken to the shop tomorrow for new pistons and getting bored. They are in pieces in tubs in the back of the truck. That '86 Honda has a fuel pump, an oil cooler, its water cooled and is full time shaft drive 4 wheel drive. Who engineers a 350 like that?

Bartering a Honda Big Red 3 Wheeler that is in the back of the truck for the labor.

[Linked Image]

also just fixed up an '86 250 Honda - thing runs like its brand new

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by eh76
my 2004 carbed 660 Grizzly is doing fine..............

Yep, mine too.

Wouldn't own a Polaris 4-wheeler, every friend and acquaintance who has regretted the day they bought it.

I've owned Polaris sleds and have had zero problems, but their wheelers have durability problems.

[Linked Image]
They don't make them like that anymore. cry

Originally Posted by justin10mm
They don't make them like that anymore. cry

actually I was looking at it this morning - its not water cooled, it just has this crazy huge cooling fan on it.

the last honda my daughter had was a 2005 500 it ran 1000miles before it started smoking so bad that you couldn't trail ride behind it without choking to death. to me they are junk. only one honda left in the gang and its a honda bigred . the guy that owns it rides hard roads and runs 30 mph max. i guess it may last a while if you baby it.
I have owned them all. I buy, fix, and sell them, Polaris is just as good as anything made. very easy to work on, the 500 carbed sportsman is one of the best ATVs every made.
We have all kinds on our lease, and my 2004 Polaris Ranger 500 UTV is a reliable work horse, I mean a hoss. Other than electronic stuff...fuel pump, solenoid, it's been a beast. Had the carb cleaned once due to hard starting....very reliable.
Polaris: Moving to Mexico to get closer to customers
by Martin Moylan, Minnesota Public Radio
May 21, 2010

St. Paul, Minn. � Polaris Industries officials fleshed out the reasons behind its plan to shut down its parts plant in Osceola, Wis. The Medina-based company plans to shift much of the work and many of the jobs in Osceola to Mexico.

The Osceola plant, about 25 miles north of Stillwater, employs 515 workers, who make parts for the company's snowmobiles, ATVs and Victory motorcycles.

Officials say some of the work will be moved to company plants in Roseau, Minn., and Spirit Lake, Iowa.

Polaris CEO Scott Wine says the company is closing the plant and opening a facility in Mexico to get closer to key customers and to cut labor costs. He says many competitors have made similar moves.

"We have concluded that in order to remain competitive and position Polaris for growth in the global market, we must align our manufacturing operations closer to our evolving customer base and seek to lower our overall manufacturing and logistics costs," said Wine.

The company expects the move will help it eventually save $30 million a year, with much of the savings coming from lower wages. Officials didn't detail how much lower the wages would be in Mexico, though.

In Mexico, Wine says Polaris will be closer to states where its ATVs and related products have been selling especially well.

"Our ATV and side-by-side products represent over two-thirds of our total sales, with about 40 percent of that customer base located in the southern half of the United States," he said.

Minnesota state economsit Tom Stinson says such plant relocations have been going on for years, as companies try to take advantage of cheaper labor abroad.

"It's just part of the normal course of business. We just hope that we maintain the employment that we have in manufacturing," said Stinson.

Polaris has been known as a made-in-the-USA brand. A Wall Street analyst asked CEO Scott Wine if the Polaris brand and sales might suffer because some products would clearly be made in Mexico, not the USA.

Wine said he doesn't think consumers care.

"Based on all the consumer goods that are bought in the U.S. that are produced in Mexico, we think that as long as we deliver the quality and performance our customers expect that we'll be able to work through this from a brand perspective," he said.

Wine said it's possible Polaris could further expand overseas operations in the future, depending on how foreign sales go. The company is especially keen on growing sales in Latin America.

"As we grow internationally ... we will likely need to have operations there to support that. But there are no current plans," said Wine.

Polaris saw its sales fall 20 percent in 2009 to $1.6 billion, as the recession dampened consumers' appetite for its ATVs, snowmobiles, motorcycles and other vehicles. Still, the company earned about $100 million last year. The company hopes to boost its sales to $3 billion annually by 2014.

Polaris says workers at the Osceola plant will be allowed to apply for jobs at the other Polaris facilities in Minnesota and Iowa ---or with any companies that continue producing parts for Polaris in Osceola.

Polaris is negotiating with suppliers to sell them equipment in the Osceola plant. Polaris says it wants suppliers to take over making parts there.

Here is what i just purchased in a S BY S , the Kubota RTV900 Diesel. It is a Tank

[Linked Image]
I know of 7 Polaris ATVs and 3 Rangers and every one of them has been trouble free. I also know of 5 Honda's and 4 of them have had major and multiple problems. The neighbors to our deer hunting land have 3 or 4 Yamahas and Kawis and while talking to them last year you could see the lust in their eyes looking at our Polaris's. They vowed the next ones will be Polaris. I also know a company that does presribed burns and they had Kubotas and Polaris Rangers. They sold the Kubotas and bought all Rangers and said the difference in performance was significant. No way could an internet forum convince me that Polaris has any more problems than any other manufacturer. They have been great to me and that is all that matters.

Someone would put a sign out that says they dont want to work on Polaris because there is so much work doing that? Sounds like a pretty bad business model to me...or a guy who lost his dealership and is trying to make excuses.
Yes I live in MN. No, I do not have any connection to Polaris or any union (thank goodness) in any way.
"Someone would put a sign out that says they dont want to work on Polaris because there is so much work doing that? Sounds like a pretty bad business model to me...or a guy who lost his dealership and is trying to make excuses.
Yes I live in MN. No, I do not have any connection to Polaris or any union (thank goodness) in any way."

Nope, he came from a large[all Jap brand] dealer up the road a ways. He was/is factory trained by Yama,Kawa, Honda and Suzuki as a mechanic and was the lead mechanic there. Lived here all of his life and saw the need for a well run shop and used cycle/atv center.
He point blank told me he didn't have the time nor space for Polaris repairs.
He had all the work he could handle.
I have no dog in this as I have never owned[to have an opinion] a Polaris and can only relate my personal experiences with what I have owned.
Originally Posted by troutslayer
I've got a Honda Rincon 650 and I ride with several people with Fourtrax 300's. They certainly cannot keep up with me in deep snow or situations where there is snow up very steep hills and you need to keep your speed up. Sometimes nothing makes up for more horsepower. It is bigger and weighs more, but at 600 pounds, it is certainly not a 900 pound beast like a Polaris or Arctic Cat. Mine has over 5000 miles and I haven't had one problem. Did I mention it is a "HONDA".

Put that Rincon against the 300 Fourtrax in the mud and the Rincon won't stand a chance against the little 300. I've owned 2 300's (1 2x2 and 1 4x4) and they went anywhere I needed them too.

Having the right tires makes all the difference when it comes to being able to get around on a wheeler. Oh yeah, a driver that know's how to ride helps too.
i don't do deep mud anymore. when we all first started riding we buried every atv we had in 3ft of mud . after replacing brake perts and lots of other stuff that the mud destroyed over the years we all gave up on seeing who could run the deepest mud holes. oh, back then we had honda ,suzuki,yamaha,kawasaki andd only one polaris. the polaris was a 450-500 that had a fixed bed on the back. i don't remember what model or year it was. i'd say 2000 or so,but it would go thru deeper stiffer mud holes then anything else we owned.most days in the mud the polaris would just be cruzin thru the deep holes and we all would be fighting to keep up.
© 24hourcampfire