Home
Posted By: cutNshoot 32 Special AI - 10/19/13
Has the 32 Special ever been improved kinda like the 30-30 has?
Posted By: EWY Re: 32 Special AI - 10/19/13
Most likely. There have been some internet discussions about it but I don't know if anybody ever really did it.

Ernie
Posted By: gophergunner Re: 32 Special AI - 10/19/13
Isn't the .307 supposed to a "new and improved" 30-30?
Posted By: ironeagle_84 Re: 32 Special AI - 10/19/13
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Isn't the .307 supposed to a "new and improved" 30-30?

No, its supposed to be a rimmed .308 Winchester...
Posted By: cutNshoot Re: 32 Special AI - 10/20/13
Redesigned like the 30-30 improved.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: 32 Special AI - 10/20/13
In the almost 50 years of big game hunting, I only seen the Winchester 32 special in the field just once, a school friend had one, didn't hunt with it much since it was a cherry pre '64 Model 94 my guess it was pre war too. All this improved business was all the rage till you could buy chronographs, then it petered out like most fads do. You want more than what a 30-30 delivers then buy a 300 Savage or a 308. Just like if you want more that what a 30-06 dose, you buy a 300 H+H or one of the other 300's. To many really good guns were buggered up buy improving case and by poorly installing the Griffin and Howe Side mount. As much as I like the 1950's and early 1960's the cartridge improving fad was not one of them.
Posted By: djs Re: 32 Special AI - 10/20/13
Originally Posted by EWY
Most likely. There have been some internet discussions about it but I don't know if anybody ever really did it.

Ernie

I just looked at P.O. Ackley's book (Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders (Vol. I & II) and I was surprised to see that he has no mention of a AI 32 Special. Ackley improved and experimented with virtually all other cartridges and I was really surprised that he hadn't (as of the books' publication) worked with the 32 Special.
Posted By: bea175 Re: 32 Special AI - 10/20/13
I killed a nice Whitetail in NM above Santa Fe with the Win 94 in 32 Spl in 1971 . He dropped in his tracks at around 50 yards , Win factory load . Should have keep that rifle, but like most young people , got hard up for cash and sold it . Have own a dozen 94's in the 32 Spl. over the years , but parted with them and now just have a couple of 94's in 30-30 and one Marlin in 30-30.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: 32 Special AI - 10/20/13
I got both my first deer and 1st elk with a Win 32 Sp back around '60. It was originally designed to duplicate 30-30 performance but could also be used with black powder. I don't know if this is true, but Speer used to claim that if the barrel got even a little bit worn out, accuracy plummeted. Mine sure shot well.
I don't know why anyone would try to improve performance when there are so many better rounds on the market. Just hop to a 35 Rem for example.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 32 Special AI - 10/20/13
Originally Posted by gmsemel
In the almost 50 years of big game hunting, I only seen the Winchester 32 special in the field just once, a school friend had one, didn't hunt with it much since it was a cherry pre '64 Model 94 my guess it was pre war too. All this improved business was all the rage till you could buy chronographs, then it petered out like most fads do. You want more than what a 30-30 delivers then buy a 300 Savage or a 308. Just like if you want more that what a 30-06 dose, you buy a 300 H+H or one of the other 300's. To many really good guns were buggered up buy improving case and by poorly installing the Griffin and Howe Side mount. As much as I like the 1950's and early 1960's the cartridge improving fad was not one of them.

Not exactly sure how you can bugger up a gun by going AI with it.

Might not net the gain you were after, but nothing is ruined and you can still shoot factory ammo in it. .....
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: 32 Special AI - 10/20/13
you could probaby gain the same amount of speed by using the leverevolution ammo,or reloading with that powder.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: 32 Special AI - 10/20/13
Originally Posted by gmsemel
All this improved business was all the rage till you could buy chronographs, then it petered out like most fads do. You want more than what a 30-30 delivers then buy a 300 Savage or a 308. Just like if you want more that what a 30-06 dose, you buy a 300 H+H or one of the other 300's. To many really good guns were buggered up buy improving case and by poorly installing the Griffin and Howe Side mount. As much as I like the 1950's and early 1960's the cartridge improving fad was not one of them.

That's about my view on them. If you need more gun, step up a notch, or two! Case trimming might be significant, if you burn lots of ammo per year shooting gophers, etc., and I hate trimming cases as much as anybody!
Posted By: LouisB Re: 32 Special AI - 10/21/13
Either the last or second to the last grizzly ber killed in NM was killed the trusty ol 32 Special.

Got to handle the gun, see the skin and talk to the guy that killed it.
Either the last or second to the last grizzly bear killed in NM was killed the trusty ol 32 Special.

Got to handle the gun, see the skin and talk to the guy that killed it.
Double post, content removed
Posted By: BFD Re: 32 Special AI - 10/21/13
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I got both my first deer and 1st elk with a Win 32 Sp back around '60. It was originally designed to duplicate 30-30 performance but could also be used with black powder. I don't know if this is true,...

I used to believe the same but I learned that was probably a myth. When you think about it, it doesn't make any sense as a bp round anyway, given the .32-40 and .38-55 that were bracketing it very closely and had the convenience of being straight walled cartridges.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/32spec.htm
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: 32 Special AI - 10/21/13
Originally Posted by BFD
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I got both my first deer and 1st elk with a Win 32 Sp back around '60. It was originally designed to duplicate 30-30 performance but could also be used with black powder. I don't know if this is true,...

I used to believe the same but I learned that was probably a myth. When you think about it, it doesn't make any sense as a bp round anyway, given the .32-40 and .38-55 that were bracketing it very closely and had the convenience of being straight walled cartridges.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/32spec.htm
From Wikipedia. This duplicates what Speer wrote about it.

This cartridge is based on the .30-30 Winchester cartridge of 1895, but differs from the .30-30 in bullet diameter. More significantly, Winchester decreased the rate of rifling twist in their Model 94 rifle, from 1:12 when chambered for the .30-30 to 1:16 when chambered for the .32 Winchester Special. Winchester used the slower twist to reduce fouling retention when creating a new cartridge for sportsmen who wanted to reload their own ammunition using black powder and cast bullets.[3] It was also marketed as something more powerful than the .30-30 and yet had less recoil than the .30 Army.[2][4] This new cartridge enjoyed only moderate success, and remained hampered by the small selection of available bullets in the .321 diameter.[2] There is a wide selection of bullet types and weights for the .30-30, while the only commonly available bullets in .321 diameter are 170 grain and 165 grain. Also, due to the slow twist of the barrel, accuracy suffered when the barrel exhibited wear.
Posted By: Rogue Re: 32 Special AI - 10/21/13
I really like the mdl 64. Nice rifles.
Posted By: DHN Re: 32 Special AI - 10/21/13
Disclaimer - I've never messed with a .32 Special.

But I have looked up the SAAMI specifications. They show bore dia. .315, groove dia. .320. I wonder how much effect the shallow grooves had on accuracy going sour?

SAAMI .32 Special
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: 32 Special AI - 10/21/13
just because it hasn't been AI'ed,doesnt mean it cant be.
Posted By: Timberlake Re: 32 Special AI - 10/21/13
Really hard to beat the .30 Army, aka 30-40 Krag. Probably taken more small/medium/big game in this land than anything else.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 32 Special AI - 10/21/13
Originally Posted by fluffy
you could probaby gain the same amount of speed by using the leverevolution ammo,or reloading with that powder.

And think if you ran that powder in an AI case, and maybe even a coated bore and bullets...

Its all steps. Whats enough for one is never enough for the next.

If we didn't play and enjoy it, we'd all ride the same bicycle.
Posted By: cutNshoot Re: 32 Special AI - 10/21/13
+1 with the new powder and change in shoulder seems like it would be 300 savage speeds.
© 24hourcampfire