Home
Does anybody here use bacon grease on the top of their stove? I need to use/do something to mine as it is getting pitted and rust covered.
Any[other] suggestions?
Thanks
Stove black. Get it from a wood stove shop.

Bacon grease will smell better. wink
cast? or pressed?
I've heard of folks using grease on stove tops before[and I have plenty].
I was thinking that the "smell" factor would be good too. Is Stove black an oil?
Originally Posted by huntsman22
cast? or pressed?

Good question. It was smuggled[iron] from a local foundry many years ago to make the stove for my FIL and he handed it down to us 15 years ago. He is no longer with us to ask. How would I tell the difference?
show a pic. Bacon grease, or ANY oil will smoke and burn off before seasoning is complete. Rust needs to be removed first, in either case. Olive oil beats bacon grease on cast, used for cooking.
I'll get a pic tonight.
Do not use bacon grease as the salt in it will cause problems with any liquid that gets on it when cold...

I use olive oil on the cast iron surface of my Dickinson Atlantic stove on the boat and it has done a fine job for decades.
IIRC stove black is a water-based product that leaves a flat black finish.

Don brings up a good point as to cooking on it. That limits options.

Don, by 'pressed' are you referring to welded plate?
We don't "cook" on it, but I do keep a pot of water on it. Once we fire it up within the next couple of days it will pretty much be used continuously through early spring other than burning down to dump ashes.
https://www.lehmans.com/p-2830-stove-black-and-polish.aspx
Another option:

http://www.krylon.com/products/high-heat/
It's pressed. Guess i will do a little lite sanding and get one of the above.

Thanks
try bear semen
The thing about stove black is that it's just so easy, and looks fantastic.

All it is, is carbon and graphite.

Wipe it on and enjoy. Any moron can make it look perfect.
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by huntsman22
cast? or pressed?

Good question. It was smuggled[iron] from a local foundry many years ago to make the stove for my FIL and he handed it down to us 15 years ago. He is no longer with us to ask. How would I tell the difference?

If it came from a foundry many years ago, most likely the cook top and burner plates are cast iron. My grandmother cooked on an old wood burning stove all her life. I'd say plain old home rendered hog lard is all she would have ever used on her stove if she thought it needed something extra. The meat grease splatters (mostly pork) from year after year of cooking 3 meals a day kept hers pretty well "seasoned".
Originally Posted by ironbender

Don, by 'pressed' are you referring to welded plate?

yeah. Cold-rolled steel, known as pressed, or plate....

It ain't as good for cooking on as there are no 'pores' to season, as in cast iron. If mine, I'd scale the rust off and paint it.....The modern stove blacks are junk, since the naptha based ones aren't available anymore.
maybe you should try bear semen
Corn oil on ours with a paper towel every time we leave the place. No issue after eight years.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire