Home
I'm no lover of fine art, although I do enjoy some of the finer tangible things in life - coffee, steak, cigars, etc.

However, I do have a few favorite paintings. This one in particular was in my Uncle's den when I was growing up. I always thought it was a true masterpiece - a classic for the ages.

[Linked Image]

Anyone else want to share their favorite?
the great gallery in horseshoe canyon. 2,000-3,000 years old, 20' x 200'

click on the pic to see full-sized panorama

[Linked Image]
Matt wins, hands down (pun intended.)
Mine? Oh, too many favorites to show, really. I have a couple of David Jacksons (one original oil and a signed print), a Beth Doolittle, a few oils by lesser-knowns, some sculpture, some duck stamp prints and originals, a signed National Geographic print...

I like art.
They say art is supposed to move you. When I was in college, there was a painting titled "Pink panties on grey carpet" hanging in the student union. Maybe 6' by 6'.

It was hawt. Still brings back fond memories.
About anything done by Bev Doolittle.
Here's the latest David Jackson, which is the most recent acquisition, still unframed: "Cutthroat"

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RogueHunter
I'm no lover of fine art, although I do enjoy some of the finer tangible things in life - coffee, steak, cigars, etc.

However, I do have a few favorite paintings. This one in particular was in my Uncle's den when I was growing up. I always thought it was a true masterpiece - a classic for the ages.

[Linked Image]

Funny, wife loves that one too, has it framed in our house. I forget where, think its in teh game room, but we too have it hanging. Probably doesn't sit well with picasso folks, but makes her happy so who cares what others think.
Utah
that stuff has always been intriguing. More so to me that it often resembles what you see in Egypt. IE same art style at least similar to my eyes.

Jeff
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

I have owned a number of her works and prefer the earlier ones.
"On Sacred Ground" is hanging in my living room right now.

"Christmas Day, Give Or Take A Week" is another of my favorites of hers.

Almost anything by Brian Davis also gets my attention. Remember, these are paintings, not photograhs!
LINK

Ed
I like Guy Harvey's stuff a lot. Of course it help that he is a friend of the family.
https://www.guyharvey.com/
Anything by Charlie Russell...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Have always like this one

[Linked Image]
H. David Wright is another favorite..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rost495
Utah
that stuff has always been intriguing. More so to me that it often resembles what you see in Egypt. IE same art style at least similar to my eyes.

Jeff

they're similar but this work, in what's called the Barrier Canyon Style, dates as far back as 7,000-9,000 B.C. It actually pre-dates much of the Egyptian art.

this is my favorite sub-panel

[Linked Image]

the "ghost" is pretty cool too:

[Linked Image]
Here are some I have in my house

Peter Lik
Blaze of Beauty

[Linked Image]

Sundance
[Linked Image]

Temple of the Sun
[Linked Image]

Stag Party - Robert Deyber
[Linked Image]

My next purchase will be this one

Beeing a Tiger This guy is my favorite artist, Vladimir Kush
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Some nice stuff - artists I never heard of before.

I remember being in a gallery up in Vermont in the early 80s. Wife said I stood in from of this picture for 45 minutes. I had no idea I was there that long. It's hanging in my living room now - it's by Joh Singer Sargent.

[Linked Image]
Paintings by Whistler, particularly his nocturnes.

Sculptures by Michaelangelo, mainly Pieta and his unfinished works.
Not the best picture of a picture but it's been hanging in my living room for the last seven years. Done by a local artist named Don Miller. All that area is now apple orchards.

Shifting Elements
[Linked Image]
Windfall Grouse: Ned Smith

And about anything else wildlife related he did.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mtcurman

[Linked Image]

mtcurman;
I see we have similar taste in artwork Ben, so perhaps you should be concerned about that - can't say for certain. wink

The one I quoted is framed and hanging above my desk at home.

We've got a few wildlife prints up in the house but my favorite of those is a pen and ink of some Bighorn rams done by a Chilcotin artist.

I'll have to see if I can get a decent photo of it sometime and put it up.

Anyway Ben, all the best to you and yours and good luck on any hunts you need to get done yet this fall.

Dwayne
Lee Teter:
http://www.leeteter.com/teter_website_012.htm

His most well known and often seen work: http://www.leeteter.com/teter_website_028.htm
I have hanging large prints by Frederic Remington, and Georgia O'Keefe.

If you're in Ft. Worth, a cool place to go is the Amon Carter Museum. Not only do they have originals by western artists, like O'Keefe, Remington, and Russell, but admission is free.

Amon Carter grew up in New York City, and was poor. One day he wanted to go to the museum, and was distressed that he didn't have the $.05 admission. He later moved to Texas, made a large fortune in oil, and became a philanthropist. When he established his museum, he required that it would forever be free to the public.

The only valuable piece I have would be a large Murano glass sculpture, which I inherited.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Ned Smith, Jerry Raedeke, Redlin. I also have a print by Jim Rownd called "Missed Opportunity." It's a shot that should remind each of us of our early deer hunts. Young kid sitting in a tree stand with a single shot shotgun as a buck sneaks through behind him. The expression on the kid's face is priceless as he sees the buck ghosting through behind the stand. His hot chocolate is in mid-spill and his sandwich is about to fall out of his lap as he lunges for his gun.

Jim always hides extra critters in his pictures. There's a bird dog, two rabbits, a skunk, a blue jay and a pheasant all in the picture if you take time to look for them.

I'm also very partial to WWII aviation art too. Especially the "heavies." There's just something sexy about a B-17.
Have a painting of a Spitfire by Barrie A. F. Clark on my wall, can't figure out how to paste in a pic of it. The picture in this link is anemic compared to the painting.

http://www.oldgloryprints.com/Spitfire%20Canvas.htm

Also have a painting of two mountain lions done by a pro artist friend on the opposite wall.

Good vibes all around.

To show them here I may have to take a photo of the paintings, put that in Photobucket and copy here. I'd rather go deer hunting instead, and will. laugh

This oil by George Hetzel is in a local museum. Always reminds me of trout fishing as a kid.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Not paintings, but pencils by Dino Cornay.

I've got "Late Winter", and "Peaceful Evenin' ", My brother has "Surefooted", and my Dad has at least 2 others (don't remember the names)

Mark

I wish I knew how to show them!
I would have to say John Cowan is my favorite. A lot of his work was of places along the Texas Coast. I have several of his prints but I would say that "Blindside" is my favorite. Since I have had the good fortune to fish and duck hunt along the coast a bit over the years, his art reminds me of the great memories I have made there.

http://www.charliesgallery.com/john-cowan-limited-edition-prints.html
Anything by Arnie Frytag.
Favorite painting is "Between the Waves" by Russian painter Ivan Aivazousky. I saw it at the five rings exhibit in Atlanta during the Olympics in 96... very large painting of massive waves and a small ship in the center. So realistic I actually got woozy - sea sick from staring at the painting... Very powerful
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Ned Smith, Jerry Raedeke, Redlin. I also have a print by Jim Rownd called "Missed Opportunity." It's a shot that should remind each of us of our early deer hunts. Young kid sitting in a tree stand with a single shot shotgun as a buck sneaks through behind him. The expression on the kid's face is priceless as he sees the buck ghosting through behind the stand. His hot chocolate is in mid-spill and his sandwich is about to fall out of his lap as he lunges for his gun.

Jim always hides extra critters in his pictures. There's a bird dog, two rabbits, a skunk, a blue jay and a pheasant all in the picture if you take time to look for them.

[Linked Image]
The only piece of art I ever paid money for John Banovich's "Defensive Line"�.its hanging in my dining room�

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Evening Shadows" by H J Johnstone.

Original is in the state art gallery.
Anything by my dad. Born 1904 died 2002. Self taught watercolor artist, but branched into oils in his later years. Mostly country scenes and seascapes. Wish I had a photo to post.

Paul
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
[Linked Image]

I actually liked watching Bob Ross. He could make a chihuahua on expresso fall asleep.
Benny Bufano's "The Expanding Universe" in Timber Cove, California. I vividly remember stopping and talking with him as he was constructing it just off Highway 1 when I was a youngster as we headed up to our place in Pt. Arena.
My sister did this watercolor before she was killed.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain

[Linked Image]

Sorry to hear that. She was very, very talented.
Totem Walk at Sitka - 1917

[Linked Image]

Emily Carr (December 13, 1871 � March 2, 1945) was a Canadian artist and writer.

[Linked Image]
Snowy Nap - Tiger

[Linked Image]

Robert Bateman, OC, OBC (born 24 May 1930) is a Canadian naturalist and painter, born in Toronto, Ontario.
I think my taste runs similar to that of Ed, we have a number of Bev Doolittles hanging in the house to include Eagle Heart, Prayer for the Wild Thing, and Two More Indian Horses (set of 3 prints). We have a few more prints hanging, but on of my other favorite artist is Maija. We have Feline Mischief hanging in the living room also. Although her name may not be a household word, you've probably seen her work.

[Linked Image]

Bob
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

I have owned a number of her works and prefer the earlier ones.
"On Sacred Ground" is hanging in my living room right now.

"Christmas Day, Give Or Take A Week" is another of my favorites of hers.

Almost anything by Brian Davis also gets my attention. Remember, these are paintings, not photograhs!
LINK

Another Bev Doolittle fan here. I have "Doubleback" and "Hide and Seek". My mom and dad have a bunch of her stuff.

Ed
my favorite.....its even hanging in my livingroom.....bet no one here knows the artist whistle

[Linked Image]
Being in the Corps I had several occasions to view Charles Waterhouse's original paintings in person.
I also like good nautical themes and have several reprints of the legendary British maritime artist Montague Dawson.
Any of
Charley Russell's but some of Samo's photo work is quite epic however.
But what do I know, I still want to SF Maria Osborne!
Any of
Charley Russell's but some of Samo's photo work is quite epic however.
But what do I know, I still want to SF Maria Osborne!

Make that Osmond
I think everyone in Montana is a Russell fan but I also like oils done by Leonard Lopp. Most of which were done in and around Glacier Park. His work is distinct and I can spot them a mile away.

Pencil sketches by Don Greytak are another favorite of mine that depict a rural way of life that anyone who grew up on a farm or ranch can relate to.
I really like this picture of this young Crow Indian lady that was in the local news rag today. Earned the title of Miss Indian Rodeo 2014.

[Linked Image]

And this one of the same girl. Beautiful!

[Linked Image]
The National Parks by Thomas Moran
The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
[Linked Image]
If you have never been to Italy, you haven't seen the most beautiful creations by man. Michelangelo was not only a sculptor, and artist, but also an architect. The Sistine chapel, as Steelhead posted, is a most awe inspiring sight. Pictures can not do it justice. To stand at the feet of the statue of David will leave you breathless.

However, on this side of the pond, I am in agreement with mtcurman, Charlie Russel has no equal...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I've got this one on my wall...

[Linked Image]
I am very fond of much of what Todd L.W. Doney does.

My favorite work of art is The Lords creation at sunrise on a cold frosty morning during deer season.
It's hanging in my living room now - it's by Joh Singer Sargent.

[Linked Image]

One of the finest painters, American or otherwise, to ever pick up a brush. The man might have had oil in his veins.

Ive always liked that painting as well...
Originally Posted by Malloy805
The National Parks by Thomas Moran
The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone
[Linked Image]

My God that is absolutely breathtaking !

[Linked Image]

I have one similar to to yours hanging above my desk. I like it for the artist's ability to update the best of the old masters with a pre-raphaelite romanticism combined with a post-modern nihilistic view of eternity and the place of man's best friend in that universe.

[Linked Image]

I replace it with this one during the Christmas season.

[Linked Image]
I love Tim Cox's work.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here is some of my own wood work.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm partial to melted clocks.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Here's the latest David Jackson, which is the most recent acquisition, still unframed: "Cutthroat"

[Linked Image]

I have admired Jackson's work since I saw one of his paintings as an illustration in a flyfishing book. Can't remember the book now, but I bought the print. Thanks for sharing "Cutthroat". Might have to swing this one as well.
Sorry I don't know how to post pics but here is a link to one of my favorites. Les Kouba.

I especially like the dark house spearing paintings. He has many other wildlife paintings as well as you will see here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=les...mp;ved=0CFoQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=955

I am partial to wildlife art. My dad worked for a company in MN called Voyager Art, and was able to meet a lot of wildlife artists. He was fortunate to do side work for them, in exchange for originals/prints. As a wedding gift, I got to choose one, and I chose this painting by Jim Hansel, who is legally blind. I can't believe how beautiful the colors are, and how great of a job he does transitioning between colors.

I have this original in my house.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Hunters in the Snow, 1565 . . (Pieter Bruegel the Elder)

[Linked Image]
The Gloomy Day, 1565 . . (Pieter Bruegel the Elder)

[Linked Image]
The Hay Harvest, 1565 . . (Pieter Bruegel the Elder)

[Linked Image]
The Harvesters, 1565 . . (Pieter Bruegel the Elder)

[Linked Image]
The Tower of Babel, 1563 . . (Pieter Bruegel the Elder)

[Linked Image]
The Massacre of the Innocents, 1565-1567 . . (Pieter Bruegel the Elder)
Sculpture/bronzes - Rodin

Paintings-
I recently saw this one on a site and still studying it...

Refreshingly a muscular Christ the carpenter instead of the popular feminized figure.

[Linked Image]
The Resurrection, Francesco Buoneri (�Cecco del Caravaggio�), ARSH 1619-1620, Art Institute of Chicago.

Originally Posted by jolintaxidermy
I am partial to wildlife art. My dad worked for a company in MN called Voyager Art, and was able to meet a lot of wildlife artists. He was fortunate to do side work for them, in exchange for originals/prints. As a wedding gift, I got to choose one, and I chose this painting by Jim Hansel, who is legally blind. I can't believe how beautiful the colors are, and how great of a job he does transitioning between colors.
I have this original in my house.

[Linked Image]

I really Like that scene.
[Linked Image]
The Potato Harvest . . . (Jules Breton)

[Linked Image]
The End of the Working Day, 1886-87 . . . (Jules Breton)

[Linked Image]
The Song of the Lark, 1884 . . . (Jules Breton)
[Linked Image]
The Tetons and the Snake River, 1942 . . . (Ansel Adams)

[Linked Image]
Winter Sunrise, Sierra Nevada, from Lone Pine, California - 1944 . . . (Ansel Adams)

[Linked Image]
Merced River, Yosemite Valley, California, 1950 . . . (Ansel Adams)
I think this man's work is amazing, and not just because of his mental deficiencies.

When he was a child, Alonzo Clemons suffered a traumatic brain injury that left him with a permanent learning disability. Barely able to speak and with an estimated IQ of 40, Clemons didn�t have much to look forward to in life�until he began sculpting. At school, he would sit silently in the back of the classroom, molding bits of clay into tiny animals. When his teachers took the clay from him, he began scraping bits of pliable tar from the pavement around his school and working on sculptures in his room at night.

Alonzo is now considered one of the most talented sculptors on the planet. He creates incredibly realistic sculptures of animals�mostly horses, antelopes, and bulls�after seeing an image of one for only a few seconds. According to his mother, he can see an animal on TV and then complete a sculpture of that animal in half an hour. Even though he is unable to tie his shoes or eat on his own, it seems his mind somehow grasps the shapes and forms that he sees, and his hands become a flawless conduit through which he can reproduce those images. When asked how he does it, Alonzo will simply smile and point to his head.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Hilo Chen

http://www.bernarduccimeisel.com/artist/works/all.php?aid=4

A painting a local artist did of my G'pa, holding one of his auctions...complete with some "regulars" painted in...

[Linked Image]
Just figured we'd have a lot of Warhol fans here...

[Linked Image]

grin grin grin grin
Pretty much anything by CM Russell
Anything by Charley Russell, Karl Bodmer, Fredric Remington or David Wright..

Norman Rockwell of course

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
For anyone who likes western art if they ever have a couple of hours free in downtown Calgary, Alberta they should go to the Glenbow Gallery. (I hope I've got that right.)

When ever we were there visiting our daughter we used to try and get to the gallery. It never failed to entertain.

Jim
What, no love for the classics??

Monet

[Linked Image]

VanGogh's famous Starry Night
[Linked Image]

Much's Scream

[Linked Image]
Although he is a good friend and that could possibly taint my views, Thomas Aquinas Daly is my favorite.

http://www.thomasaquinasdaly.com/
[Linked Image]
howard terpning
hangs on living room wall
If you like wildlife, Roger Bateman is king of the hill.
Here are a couple of my favorites.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Pretty much anything by R Crumb.

When relatively straight, his work had a cartooney nature.

But when the psychedelics were really working him,...when he could see everything as a connected mass of energy, he would call forth focus that would result in a type of creativity that isn't seen in any other way.

He throws the whimsical in everything he does,...but only the unaware view it as whimsical.

The teasingly whimsical, cartoonish stuff,....

[Linked Image]

,...when posessed with the focus provided by the energy of psychedelics,...

[Linked Image]

Can you see it like R Crumb does.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn5TNqjuHiU [/video]

I can,...

Now,...granted,..I don't know if that's an advantage or not,..

,..but what the hell.

This monkey that I live in goes its own way.

,...ain't really nothin' ta do about it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Seriously though, Charlie rules.

[Linked Image]
Sam +1.. He is awesome..

Michael Sieve is my favorite....I've got 15 or so....

Anybody know Bill Barringer? A good friend from Iowa.
Originally Posted by AussieLad
[Linked Image]

"Evening Shadows" by H J Johnstone.

Original is in the state art gallery.

That's fantastic!!!!
Anything by Montague Dawson. British maritime artist.
Robert Bateman

The air the forest and the watch.

Cougar in the snow.

Scolding chickadees and screech owl.

Winter Lady Cardinal.

Evening light elk.

High country stone sheep
Thanks Rattler. You made my day with your post!
"Starry Night"....Van Gogh.

Have one above our bed...
I don't what it's called or who painted it, but it is picture of a lone black wolf, over looking an old farmstead. It looked a cold winters night.
Painting: none

Work of art: my Wifes butt.

Gunner
Pics?
LMAO.............no grin

Gunner
CMR - seriously.
?
Charles Marion Russell - painter of "In Without Knocking", that follows my posts around. ;-{>8
Bret Smith "The Mallard Hole" hanging in our dining room.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Sam +1.. He is awesome..

Another +, and Tim Cox.
10-Rah-Jah OT. smile

Gunner
Tim Cox fan here as well.
I was a fan of Frank Frazetta from the time I got my first Molly Hatchet album. Of course he painted many more fantasy/scifi based pictures, but the MH album covers is probably what he's most widely known for.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like Van Gogh's "Wheatfield with crows" (1890).

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by EricM

Boy Howdy!. Vincent is the man.

[Linked Image]
The Execution of Lady Jane Grey, 1833 . . (Paul Delaroche)

[Linked Image]
Self-Portrait with Death Playing the Fiddle, 1872 . . (Arnold Bocklin)

[Linked Image]
Villa by the Sea, 1865 . . (Arnold Bocklin)

[Linked Image]
Isle of the Dead, 1886 . . (Arnold Bocklin)

[Linked Image]
War, 1896 . . (Arnold Bocklin)

[Linked Image]
The Plague, 1898 . . (Arnold Bocklin)
Originally Posted by Walker

[Linked Image]
The Execution of Lady Jane Grey, 1833 . . (Paul Delaroche)

Poor Lady Jane

One of my fav English Monarchs (almost?)

Still what a raw deal for her

Snake
Originally Posted by Moosedog
Bret Smith "The Mallard Hole" hanging in our dining room.
[Linked Image]
Wow, the color is fantastic on that one.
Originally Posted by Walker

[Linked Image]
I've seen many paintings from that era. When you're standing in fron of the actual painting, the silver color on the dress is just brilliant and seems to come to life. The thing that gets me is that is still bursts off the canvas and it's well over 100 years old. There's a painting with that same silver in a dress hanging at Crystal Bridges and it was painted in the 1760's; still brilliant in color. The talent is just amazing to me.
Tom Thompson or most anything from the Group of Seven.

This print hangs in our home.

[Linked Image]
I think that this thread is good witness to the fact that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone has personal tastes. Contrary old phart that I am, I very often do not fall to pieces over works of art that everyone else sees as stunning.

For my part, I really can't point to a favorite. I like many different things when I see them, but I do have to say that I appreciate things that look as real as possible.

I can't point to a single artist all of whose work I think is great, but I do like much of Winslow Homer's paintings.
RogueHunter: I have a favorite work of art - I often think of it and its initial impression on me.
About 14 years ago I was hired by a private security company to provide armed body guard services for the top two executives of the Washington Mutual Bank.
We worked in teams and had run of the Washington Mutual Tower building there in Seattle, Washington.
Back then Washington Mutual Bank was one of THE strongest and most profitable banks in America.
They had lots of money and had had it for a long time.
They decorated the two executive floors of their building with exceptional and rare works of art - everything from paintings to etchings to bronze statues to blown glass and on and on.
My first day at that assignment I was doing a tour of the premise and admiring the views from the top of that skyscraper with awesome views of Mt. Ranier, Puget Sound, the Cascade Range, the Olympic Range and the city below.
Around a corner and down a hall I turn when I view a stunning black on white image of Abraham Lincoln!
The "painting" was life size being about 2 1/2'x7'!
There stood Abraham Lincoln in humble clothing holding a Bible in one hand and a double bladed axe in the other.
His sad but perfectly depicted face with forlorn eyes was staring directly at me!
I was amazed by the charcoal painting and slowed as I approached to read the artists name on the gold nameplate - Norman Rockwell, it read.
I only worked that assignment maybe fourty days a year for many years but always looked forward to re-admiring that STUNNING and mesmerizing depiction of Abraham Lincoln by Norman Rockwell.
I am such an ignoramus when it comes to art work that I had NO idea that Norman Rockwell even did charcoal paintings (charcoals?) but I often think of that amazing piece of art and who owns it now that Washington Mutual has gone tits up?
I guess Chase/Manhattan owns it now as they bought Washington Mutual out.
Your dogs with cigars is amusing and worth a second look but it can't even hold a candle to that masterful depiction of Abraham Lincoln by Norman Rockwell!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
[Linked Image]
The Banjo Lesson, 1893 . . (Henry O. Tanner)

[Linked Image]
Marat Assassinated, 1793 . . (Jacques-Louis David)

[Linked Image]
The Church at Auvers-sur-Oise, 1890 . . (Van Gogh)

[Linked Image]
Young Woman with a Water Jug, 1660-62 . . (Vermeer)

[Linked Image]
Breaking Home Ties, 1954 . . (N. Rockwell)
If we're talking classical Masters, then to me Velasquez has no equal. His Las Meninas, encompasses all the attributes, color, depth of field etc. For a more realistic and crap I can afford, John Seery Lester's "Shadows In The Grass" is among my favorites:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] I'm not a huge collector, but I have the number 4 (of 25) artist proof (remarqued) of this.

It's a painting of the earliest documented whitetail kill in the Boone & Crockett record book, taken by Arthur Young (17 years old) in 1830 in McKean County, PA. It's not only the earliest documented whitetail kill; it's the earliest record of ANY trophy animal in ANY record book anywhere in the world. The buck is a clean 6 x 6 and scored 175 4/8. Though records weren't officially kept until well after the Boone & Crockett Club was formed, this could be called (retrospectively) the first world record whitetail for 40 years. It wasn't until 1870 that a bigger one was killed.

The painting appeared on the cover of the Pennsylvania Game News in December, 2013. It's a fascinating story of the most historic buck of all time, and I happened to write it. A shorter version of the story also appeared in Deer & Deer Hunting magazine this spring.

One interesting aspect of the story is that not only do the antlers still exist, but so does the rifle Arthur shot it with, and the powderhorn he carried on the hunt.

For you whitetail enthusiasts, prints are available at Ernest Durphy.com.

Steve.
[Linked Image]
Boston Common at Twilight, 1886 . . (Childe Hassam)

[Linked Image]
The Flower Market, 1880 . . Victor Gabriel Gilbert

[Linked Image]
Casting the Fly, No. 2 . . (W.Homer)
Posted and taken by Bobcape here on the 'Fire:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
RogueHunter: I have a favorite work of art - I often think of it and its initial impression on me.
About 14 years ago I was hired by a private security company to provide armed body guard services for the top two executives of the Washington Mutual Bank.
We worked in teams and had run of the Washington Mutual Tower building there in Seattle, Washington.
Back then Washington Mutual Bank was one of THE strongest and most profitable banks in America.
They had lots of money and had had it for a long time.
They decorated the two executive floors of their building with exceptional and rare works of art - everything from paintings to etchings to bronze statues to blown glass and on and on.
My first day at that assignment I was doing a tour of the premise and admiring the views from the top of that skyscraper with awesome views of Mt. Ranier, Puget Sound, the Cascade Range, the Olympic Range and the city below.
Around a corner and down a hall I turn when I view a stunning black on white image of Abraham Lincoln!
The "painting" was life size being about 2 1/2'x7'!
There stood Abraham Lincoln in humble clothing holding a Bible in one hand and a double bladed axe in the other.
His sad but perfectly depicted face with forlorn eyes was staring directly at me!
I was amazed by the charcoal painting and slowed as I approached to read the artists name on the gold nameplate - Norman Rockwell, it read.
I only worked that assignment maybe fourty days a year for many years but always looked forward to re-admiring that STUNNING and mesmerizing depiction of Abraham Lincoln by Norman Rockwell.
I am such an ignoramus when it comes to art work that I had NO idea that Norman Rockwell even did charcoal paintings (charcoals?) but I often think of that amazing piece of art and who owns it now that Washington Mutual has gone tits up?
I guess Chase/Manhattan owns it now as they bought Washington Mutual out.
Your dogs with cigars is amusing and worth a second look but it can't even hold a candle to that masterful depiction of Abraham Lincoln by Norman Rockwell!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Hey VG,

The painting of dogs with cigars playing cards was tongue in cheek. (still a fun painting though)

I can relate to your story. I tried quickly researching your description of Lincoln, and found this. I am guessing maybe someone was commissioned to copy it in black and white?
I can't find a black and white by NW fitting this description, although admittedly I didn't spend alot of time looking.
Quite the painting! My guess it the etching was pilfered by an executive.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 5sdad
I think that this thread is good witness to the fact that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone has personal tastes. Contrary old phart that I am, I very often do not fall to pieces over works of art that everyone else sees as stunning.

For my part, I really can't point to a favorite. I like many different things when I see them, but I do have to say that I appreciate things that look as real as possible.

I can't point to a single artist all of whose work I think is great, but I do like much of Winslow Homer's paintings.

I agree that tastes run the gamut. I lean toward realistic "snapshots" of everyday life, as opposed to grand landscapes with sunsets.
Originally Posted by viking
I don't what it's called or who painted it, but it is picture of a lone black wolf, over looking an old farmstead. It looked a cold winters night.

Can't remember the name either but have been trying to find a copy of it.

I've always been fond of photographic portraiture.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by tack
If you like wildlife, Roger Bateman is king of the hill.
Here are a couple of my favorites.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've got "Chief" (the bison), on my wall, and it's my favorite. I saw the original in Jackson at the Gallery there, and was amazed. Mother got me a print for Christmas.
Originally Posted by chris112

Is this it?
[Linked Image]
Lone Wolf Painting Prints - Lone Black Wolf Print by Don Lindemann. Lone Black Wolf

RogueHunter: Well thank you for trying to research my "favorite" work of art.
The subject matter in the lifesize work I saw so often was exactly the same as what is depicted by the photo you posted.
The two MAJOR differences are the art work I referred to was in charcoal (black and white) and Abraham Lincoln was looking directly at the art admirer with eyes fully open and directed forward.
I will do some looking myself - I have forgotten the name of the charcoal painting I admire but recall that the work was "commissioned" by and for the Employees of Washington Mutual Bank?
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Found YOUR colored Lincoln painting and it is 34" by 17" whereas the Washington Mutual owned piece was lifesize tall and lifesize width - and it was signed by Norman Rockwell - perhaps its "commissioned" work status kept it from being catlogued here and there?

VarmintGuy,

My guess that is that it was commissioned by the someone at the bank.

Someone is sitting on a gold mine!

Originally Posted by tjm10025

I've always been fond of photographic portraiture.

[Linked Image]

Thanks TJM - That's amazing on a lot of levels.
well, I have prints of these two, from Georgia O'Keefe

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and have a large print of this Remington. I've seen the original, too, which is in the Amon Carter Museum

[Linked Image]

This one looks very simple, but when you see the original in person, it becomes very, very impressive

[Linked Image]

Anything from Charles M. Russell.

Really like his painting, "Waiting on a Chinook."
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Much's Scream

[Linked Image]

His name is Edvard Munch. I'm a fan of a lot of art, from the renaissance to neoclassicism to romanticism to modern. Rembrandt, Degas, Toulousse-Lautrec, Gaugin, Michelangelo, Remoir to modern stuff by Dali, Picasso and others.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/view_of_toledo_zpsab71f97e.jpg[/img]

A couple of pics I took from the museum collection of Picasso in Hakone, Japan (wasn't supposed to but I don't follow instructions very well sometimes).

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Chako%20and%20Tad/japanseries1251.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Chako%20and%20Tad/japanseries1242.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Chako%20and%20Tad/japanseries1231.jpg[/img]

Yeah rogue, that is the picture. I always liked that one. Thanks.

Another painter I like is Terry Redlen?
Originally Posted by chris112

Is this it?
[Linked Image]
Lone Wolf Painting Prints - Lone Black Wolf Print by Don Lindemann. Lone Black Wolf

I grew up as a young lad with that same wolf photo hanging in the dining room.
C.M.Russell
[Linked Image]

Dude...that's Mannlicher...!

http://www.clevelandart.org/art/1972.119
http://images.clevelandart.org/prd1...2E10CCB63A5FB9658B39155CBDE59E4DFFB7B869
Should have read the tread from the start instead of in reverse.
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain

[Linked Image]

First, I am very sorry about your sister. Second, I love that watercolor. I lived in St. Ignatius, Montana for 12 years by the Bison Range. She captured them very well.
© 24hourcampfire