Home
I feel old now !.... Suspenders ,not for dress but hunting/fishing/chore type ..who makes a good tough one that ain't blowing out at the buckles and such? a fellow years back said try suspenders-get rid of the belt. I called BS on him> that's old stuff/nobody wears them . blush I got some for xmas from my ma a few years back now ...i'm hooked!! ps if u are reading and you never/ain't going to try them ...u will be mad years from now at what u missed!
I agree. Suspenders are much more comfortable than a belt when in the outdoors - especially when wearing heavy clothing.

I have a button-on style and a clip-on style from LL Bean that are pretty good. Don't know if they still sell them or whether they are still good, though.
I've been wearing them for over 20 years. I think I'm running Carhartt tab suspenders at present. I have 3 or 4 sets of them. I typical

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/...1&storeId=10051&productId=131161

I use tack buttons for my pants for the tabs, since the majority of them don't come with suspender buttons. I also wear a belt with suspenders.

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/...1&storeId=10051&productId=131161
yup ...good bye butt crack and so-called friends @ the job site trying to seal "the crack" with spray foam!
I actually wear both. Dickies makes a good set of suspenders that hook onto your belt.

I started with them for hiking and hunting, and now wear them most anytime I'm wearing jeans.

It's very comfortable. Belt can be a tad looser while the suspenders keep everything up where it belongs.

Definitely not classy though. They're for "work" or very casual dress. I don't like my jeans to fit tight. Especially when hunting. I have big legs and a bit of a gut. So comfortable jeans, slightly loose belt, and Dickies suspenders. Perfect combo for comfort. I don't care about style at all.

Walmart had them for about $10.
You couldn't pay me to wear clip on suspenders.
hey that what I got on!!!..on a pair of sweats..i'm out cutting firewood in style!
I've been using a set of Filson button on suspenders on my wool Malone type pants for several seasons. I'm pretty sure they are going to outlast me.
Forgot to add the link. These are what I wear except in tan. They have plastic clips that hook under the belt. so no claw marks on your belt if that matters.

Dickies Suspenders
Still available at LL Bean, and made in USA, to boot:

LL Bean Suspenders
You are 100% correct about comfort while hunting. I just put up with the snap ones. (carhart at the time) Mainly because can't find pants with buttons as the button ones are the best. Sure will be watching this post to see if anything is better than carhart.

Take care, Willie
Here's the brand suspenders I've been using. Mine have "Made In USA" embossed on them.

http://www.perrysuspenders.com/persus.html

These look like the model I've been using.

The Original
One nice thing about the button-on LL Bean suspenders that I linked to previously is that you can snap open and release the strap part while leaving all of the buttons attached. This allows you to remove all of the tension from the straps while sitting.

Then, when you are ready to reattach them, just reconnect the leather piece with the snaps back into the two leather button leads, and you are ready to go without needing to readjust the length. Looking at the pic will help explain:

LL Bean Suspenders

By the far the best suspenders are from the Hold Up Suspender Company.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You couldn't pay me to wear clip on suspenders.
You have never tried Hold Ups yet? They rock out with you know what out. smile
Buttons are the best, but some clippers are good. Just be sure to snap them onto the top of belt loops, not the waist material.

'sides, if 'spenders are good enough for rodeo clowns, they are perfect for some of us! smile
John Wayne once said, "Never trust a man who won't trust his own belt".
Hickman Saddlery, Stateline, Idaho.

http://www.hickmansaddlery.net/

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I am wearing a pair of the leather ones as I type this, and I also wear a pair of the ones on the right in both the color shown and in black. The leather ones are expensive, their my dress suspenders. I've been wearing Hickman Suspenders for years. Nothing else can compare for wear.
bookmark
I'll stick with calling BS. smile smile I can't wear suspenders, I have neck problems. Can't wear bib overalls or bib-type rain pants anymore. I'm ok for a little while but then it starts to hurt ... bad. For some reason, my backpack doesn't do that ... I'm guessing it's a matter of them binding under other clothing like a jacket over the top.

If you're going to wear suspenders, I'd head for a loggers supply store. Those are guys who wear 'em and work in 'em so what they sell has to work, not just decorative.

Tom
No self respecting farmer would wear anything but bailing twine fer suspenders.
been there done that!
Baileys has a good selection.......

http://www.baileysonline.com/Clothing/Belts-Suspenders/Suspenders/?page_no=1
I'm not much of a suspenders fan unless they are holding up some sort of specialized outerwear or bunker pants, but just about all of my entire everyday wear is from Duluth Trading and it's all top-notch schitt. I suspect their suspenders will be the same.

Duluth Trading Co.
My wife advised many years ago, I think we were living in Kansas at the time, that if I ever wore overalls or suspenders she was through. I took her quite seriously.
Always chuckle at these threads as "suspenders" over here means something quite different! grin

[Linked Image]
Back when I was a kid most country folks around my part of the country called pants suspenders as well the straps on bib overalls, galluses
I also wear a belt with suspenders.

Me too. Safety issue and also, where else would you hang a knife? miles
atvalaska;
Thanks for the educational and sometime entertaining thread sir. I honestly never expected a suspender thread to generate what it has. grin

Here in our part of Canada most folk use either loggers suspenders picked up at the chain saw shop or work wear store - I recall seeing a bunch of blaze orange Husqvarna ones - or they use hockey suspenders picked up at a Sportchek type of store.

The ones I use/used for years on some surplus Euro army wool pants were maybe $10 hockey suspenders and they've lasted countless washer cycles.

Anyway hopefully that was some use to you or someone out there this rainy, almost snowy morning sir. We're off to see if a whitetail buck will stand still for our eldest daughter so I've got to slither off up the mountain now.

Good luck on your suspender search as well as any remaining hunts this fall.

Regards,
Dwayne
Originally Posted by Pete E
Always chuckle at these threads as "suspenders" over here means something quite different! grin

[Linked Image]

for some reason I like yer version much better. wink
Originally Posted by milespatton
I also wear a belt with suspenders.

Me too. Safety issue and also, where else would you hang a knife? miles

So do I especially when I carry inside waistband CCW.
Originally Posted by Pete E

[Linked Image]

Thanks Pete..... Sincerely appreciate the cross cultural exchange information grin
Originally Posted by joken2
Back when I was a kid most country folks around my part of the country called pants suspenders as well the straps on bib overalls, galluses

Yep!
I gleaned several web sites with neat stuff from this thread. This is what 24 hour is all about IMO.
Hold Up Suspenders, best ones I've ever used and I've been using suspenders for over 30 years.
Who has a "belly" and uses suspenders?
lol. you fellers need to grow an ass :-D. I like nice heavy belts. duluth tradings ultimate belt is a great belt for work/daily/concealed carry. Takes a few weeks to break in properly though.
Suspenders are fer them guys who got a big belly and no ass.

When ya belly gets so big that ya gotta ditch the belt and take up a pair of straps ta hold ya damn britches up, it's time to lay off the pork chops and take up the yogurt.
Speakin' o'which,...as soon as the Thanksgiving festivities are over,..I gotta knock off my annual 20 lbs.

,...had to go up in the attic here while back and dig out my fat britches again.

Didn't used to be much of an issue to knock off 20 lbs,...but once ya hit 50 years old,..you got to eat less than your skinny ass cat to take off any weight.

To make matters worse,...anytime I get below 190 lbs, my wife thinks I'm fixin' ta chit and die and starts draggin' home all kinds of pastries from the grocery store.

It's hard to take off weight when you can turn in all four directions and see a fuggin' do-nut.

,...crazy ass women, anyway.
Walmart don't help either.

Don't matter how fat your ass gets, you can go down to Walmart and buy a pair of britches that'll fit it for 10 damn dollars.
Very interesting thread.

I never had an ass or hips to hold up a belt with any weight on it. Now that the belly is pushing down harder than the hips and butt are pushing up, the situation ain't improving.

I am looking for a (regular belt in the belt loops) belt/spenders combination in which the suspenders actually lock into the belt, for the carrying of a large frame revolver on a belt holster.

I have been considering having something custom built which would attach to a good leather belt just at the front and back of the right hip and cross over the left shoulder. It might or might not have a dozen or so cartridge loops to fit a 41 mag.

Any thoughts?
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Walmart don't help either.

Don't matter how fat your ass gets, you can go down to Walmart and buy a pair of britches that'll fit it for 10 damn dollars.

ROFLMAO

Take care, Willie
Originally Posted by acooper1983
lol. you fellers need to grow an ass :-D. I like nice heavy belts. duluth tradings ultimate belt is a great belt for work/daily/concealed carry. Takes a few weeks to break in properly though.

I don't see an "Ultimate belt" at the Duluth website.

Are you referring to the "Lifetime belt"? Or perhaps the "Beefy leather belt" made of harness leather??

I REALLY want to find a decent belt which will not stretch two inches or become mis-shapen within two months.
When I think about suspenders, Bob Beckel comes to mind.

I'll have nothing to do with em.
Bristoe . . . enough of your braggin'
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
John Wayne once said, "Never trust a man who won't trust his own belt".

Didn't used to be much of an issue to knock off 20 lbs,...but once ya hit 50 years old,..you got to eat less than your skinny ass cat to take off any weight.

Funny, I eat like any other normal person does, and because of "messed up hormones" I have gone down three pant sizes in just about 12 weeks, Doctor is not a happy camper, and I am a little scared, can't afford to lose weight like this, but he can't seem to get it under control, and I am a ripe 52 years old. I bought new jeans about 10 days ago, and they are sliding down every time I move, maybe it's just a woman thing, maybe I need suspenders, that might just be an idea wink
Pete E.....
I believe that the single most terrible thing to happen to men was the invention of pantyhose! There is just something very special about stockings and a garter belt!
I have a set on my duty belt and man does it make a difference

I use them in conjunction with a belt on my hunting pants. And have no complaints. I akso use a light duty set of dress suspender hooked to my heavy long underwear. And that really helps too.

Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by acooper1983

I don't see an "Ultimate belt" at the Duluth website.

Are you referring to the "Lifetime belt"? Or perhaps the "Beefy leather belt" made of harness leather??

I REALLY want to find a decent belt which will not stretch two inches or become mis-shapen within two months.

Crossbreed holsters makes a goodnheavy belt with abthin kydex stiffener in the middle. Mine is almost teo years old and has held up great
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
whistle a guy needs a shed with a nice roof for his "tool" don't he????
Originally Posted by atvalaska

Just make sure the roof doesn't sag so much that you can't get the tractor out.
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

Funny, I eat like any other normal person does, and because of "messed up hormones" I have gone down three pant sizes in just about 12 weeks, Doctor is not a happy camper, he can't seem to get it under control, and I am a ripe 52 years old. I bought new jeans about 10 days ago, and they are sliding down every time I move, maybe it's just a woman thing, maybe I need suspenders, that might just be an idea wink
miss lynn blush I'd chase u over a 5 wire fence......if'in I had a good pair of suspenders to keep me britches up grin
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Just make sure the roof doesn't sag so much that you can't get the tractor out.
lol!!
Very interesting thread.

I never had an ass or hips to hold up a belt with any weight on it. Now that the belly is pushing down harder than the hips and butt are pushing up, the situation ain't improving.

I am looking for a (regular belt in the belt loops) belt/spenders combination in which the suspenders actually lock into the belt, for the carrying of a large frame revolver on a belt holster.

I have been considering having something custom built which would attach to a good leather belt just at the front and back of the right hip and cross over the left shoulder. It might or might not have a dozen or so cartridge loops to fit a 41 mag.

Any thoughts?

Again I suggest Hickman Saddlery. They make an excellent belt loop suspender.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by lngrng
Pete E.....
I believe that the single most terrible thing to happen to men was the invention of pantyhose! There is just something very special about stockings and a garter belt!

Actually, pantyhose was invented by men for men. And I'm not talking about what women wear today.
Bring the lube.
u seen this then> Where the professor on gilligan's island invents panty hose....only to hear a guy on there radio in a news broadcast take the prize ...classic!!!
Originally Posted by pira114
I actually wear both. Dickies makes a good set of suspenders that hook onto your belt.

I started with them for hiking and hunting, and now wear them most anytime I'm wearing jeans.

It's very comfortable. Belt can be a tad looser while the suspenders keep everything up where it belongs.

Definitely not classy though. They're for "work" or very casual dress. I don't like my jeans to fit tight. Especially when hunting. I have big legs and a bit of a gut. So comfortable jeans, slightly loose belt, and Dickies suspenders. Perfect combo for comfort. I don't care about style at all.

this
norm
Originally Posted by norm99
Originally Posted by pira114

My normal when carrying heavier handguns in an inside the waist band holster.

this
norm

Funny, I eat like any other normal person does, and because of "messed up hormones" I have gone down three pant sizes in just about 12 weeks, Doctor is not a happy camper, he can't seem to get it under control, and I am a ripe 52 years old. I bought new jeans about 10 days ago, and they are sliding down every time I move, maybe it's just a woman thing, maybe I need suspenders, that might just be an idea wink
miss lynn blush I'd chase u over a 5 wire fence......if'in I had a good pair of suspenders to keep me britches up grin

I might just slow up a bit and let you catch me blush

Funny, I eat like any other normal person does, and because of "messed up hormones" I have gone down three pant sizes in just about 12 weeks, Doctor is not a happy camper, and I am a little scared, can't afford to lose weight like this, but he can't seem to get it under control, and I am a ripe 52 years old. I bought new jeans about 10 days ago, and they are sliding down every time I move, maybe it's just a woman thing, maybe I need suspenders, that might just be an idea wink

Maybe with a few pics we can discover the problem areas grin
laugh laugh cool[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Crossbreed holsters makes a goodnheavy belt with abthin kydex stiffener in the middle. Mine is almost teo years old and has held up great

Thanks,

I will give em a look.

Originally Posted by W7ACT
Very interesting thread.

Any thoughts?

Again I suggest Hickman Saddlery. They make an excellent belt loop suspender.

[Linked Image]

Yes, I saw that recommendation earlier and have perused their web page extensively. I like that belt loop design a lot.
By the far the best suspenders are from the Hold Up Suspender Company.

I have worn suspenders for years now, many different styles and types ever since the pants went south while walking through the break room at work with both hands full of paperwork.

Listen to BrotherBart about the holdup suspenders. They have a cam lock and a needle sharp center pin that will not let you or your pants down.

Joel
I wear camouflage suspenders that I buy at Walmart most every day but I do have some dress up ones that are lighter. These clip on you jeans and hold pretty good. Only time I have had one come loose is when I hang the clip on something. I have thought about the button ones but every pair of jeans would have to have buttons sewn on and I guess I am just too lazy to do that. I get lots of positive comments on my suspenders. miles
When I think about suspenders, Bob Beckel comes to mind.

I think about Justin Wilson. horse joke miles
I may have to try those hold ups
© 24hourcampfire