Home
I had a "grand dad" on my dad's side and a "grandpa" on my mom's side.

Two things remind me of my grand dad, born in 1884 . . .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Never met either of them,
One died, the other bailed.
Grandpa and Paw Paw
Pappy & PawPaw. Both born the same year in 1914. Both died in the 1970's when I was a young kid. Sure do miss em!

I was the first Grandkid on both sides, so I got to "name" them both. cool
Be sure to put the year your "grand dad" was born . . . just for reference!
Mom's dad was Papaw, Dad's dd died before I was born.

I am Paw Paw and my wife is Nana to all the grandkids.
Grampa. Grampa did not drink, smoke or cuss, but daddy liked Old Grand-Dad.
Paternal side/Japanese: Grandma. GF died 15 years before I arrived on scene.

Maternal/Scottish: Gran, and Granda.

In and around Boston, GPs are often heard referred to as Nana and Papa.
Mom's side - Grandpa. Dad's side - Trevvy. (his name was Trevor) Grandpa was born in 1908. Trevvy in 1901. Pretty much was raised by Grandpa, a commercial fisherman and trapper. Sure do miss him.
Noni and Nono, both sides.
Grandpa Jake (dad's), Grandpa Tommy (mom's)

How I do miss them both!
Dads side was Papa and Grandma. Mothers side was dead before I could talk. miles
My own grand children call me and my wife . . . Ba Pa and La La . . .not sure where that came from.
Called both of them Grampa, I think. I found my paternal grandfather's body when I was three; He had a heart attack while in the outhouse. Only saw my maternal grandfather a few times, as we lived 1,200 miles away. Grampa was standard in my family - until it was my turn. Both my grandkids call me Papa. I don't care what they call me, grandkids are too precious to criticize for a thing as trivial as that.
Grampa Nick and Grampa Fred.My grandkids call me gramps and my wife nana
We mostly called my Mothers dad Pop but did say Grampa quite a bit too.
My Dad's fathers birthday was this week, but he was born in 1871 and I never met him.
Dads side Pop and Granny--born Missiouri 1891
Mothers side Grampa and Grandma--born Minnesota 1892
Never had either one as they were gone before I was born.

My mothers father was born about 1898 and died in 1933.

My fathers father was born about 1892 and died in 1914.
Mom's dad was Pa(born 1904), Dad was an orphan so...
Originally Posted by stantdm
Never had either one as they were gone before I was born.

My mothers father was born about 1898 and died in 1933.

My fathers father was born about 1892 and died in 1914.

Wow and wow! Both had a very unfortunate early demise. Did you ever find out what caused their death?
Only had 1 grandfather I knew "Po-Po" born in 1888 died in 1973, my mothers dad. Only grand parent I had.
Home and the other lost , probably. (Haven't really met them yet.) Grandpa would fit...
Grandpa.
My Mom's dad was Big Daddy. My Dad's dad passed away long before I arrived.
I called them Grandma and Grandpa and with great respect. They were born in the late 1870s and early 1880s. My fraternal Grandfather spent considerable time with me teaching me life skills like Christian ethics and morals.
mom's side, Pops and Gram Pops was born in 1906, one of the sweetest, best guys to ever grace this planet

dad's side Grandpa Troy, and Grandma

edit to add: also knew my great grandad, Pops' dad, he lived by himself until he died at 99 years of age, he must have been born around 1865 or so
Never knew either, but they were referred to as Pa and John Tom.
Nana and Pappy. smile

Gunner
Grand Daddy and Grand Mother on both sides.

In fact, neither of my Grand Mother's would even allow Grandma. NO!
Grand-dad or Pop suffices in Australia.
Grandpa and Grandma
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Grandpa and Grandma

Holly [bleep]! You really DO come from a modern family! laugh
Grampa, both sides. My grandkids call me PaPa, I kinda like it.
Grampa, both sides. Paternal grandfather was born in 1901 or '03, maternal grandfather in 1907, I think. Both lived into their nineties, as did my paternal grandmother. Maternal grandmother died at 89, she almost made it to 90. Great Grandmother on Dad's side died at 96.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Grandpa and Grandma

Holly [bleep]! You really DO come from a modern family! laugh

laugh That's debatable.

My wife sure thinks I'm an anachronism.

Actually, my mom's patents died before I was born.

Grandpa was born in the year 1900. Dad, 1939. Me, 1976.

Granddad on my father's side born 1900... Popsey on my mother's born 1905. Both great guys.

My dad is granddad to his grandchildren, figured I'd be too... my daughter said no way pick another, she's not too fond of my dad.

I'm Pappy... Ugly 'Ol Pappy to be formal... my wife is Mimi, Mean 'Ol Mimi... we have one spoil't grandchild.

Kent
Galled both of them SIR when answering them and Grandpa when asking one.
Papaw on both sides, one born in 1927 and the other in 1906.

I also knew one great grandfather, he was born in 1907.
Grampa for both. They were both born in the 1880's.
Granddad for both,my Mom's dad was born 1915 or so,died Dec 17,1993. My Dads Dad I do not know,since my Dad was born in 1942,I would guess the same as my other Granddad. I miss all 4 of them (GrandMa and Granny along with the Granddads). frown
Moms side - grandma and grandpa

Dads side - Grammy. Dads dad died long before I was born. Early '50's .

I'm down to one. Grandma turns 95 in March.
My Maternal Grandparents were Papaw and Granny.

My Paternal Grandparents were Pa and Grandma.

Only my Pa is left. He is a veteran of Operation Torch in 1942, saw Kasserine pass more than he wanted, and came home when the war was over with 3 bronze stars.

I miss Papaw, Granny and Grandma every day.
Opah and Omah.
Granny & Papaw
Pa and Poppy
Nana and Pop on my mom's side. Nana and Pop-pop on my dad's side. They are all gone now but I got to know them well.

Pop was born in 1906, Pop-pop in 1924, died a week apart back in '87. I was 18 at the time. One Nana died in '08, the other last year. I even got to know and do some fishing with my great-grandma Mary. Called her Granny.
Moms dad pa paw, dads dad died when he was 14. I call my dad pop and my kids call him poppy.
My dad's mom was Gramma. My other three grandparents were dead before I was born.
Originally Posted by Kaiser
Opah and Omah.

That's "Spanish" . . . my mother-in-law was "oma"
Mother's side - PapPap & MamMam
Father's side - Nanny

Dad's father was buried on my father's sixth birthday so I never knew him.
So just a casual look at where y'all are from indicates that Paw paw might be a southern thing. Mine were Paw paw on my Dad's side and Pap paw on my mother's.
Mother's side - Papaw (and Mamaw)
Father's side - Dan-Dan - Had an older cousin that when she was little couldn't quite get a grip on granddad (or maybe confused dad's dad?) so it came out Dan-Dan & stuck.
© 24hourcampfire