Home
Posted By: 04Hunter Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Hello all, I just got a pair of Cabelas casual boots with full grain, pebbled leather. It is not suede, but is not smooth either. What product should I use to make them as water resistant as possible without ruining the grain of the leather? Any and all help is much appreciated.
Posted By: mog75 Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Marvel mystery oil.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Originally Posted by mog75
Marvel mystery oil.

Really?

I've used Neatsfoot oil.
Posted By: skullmonkey Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Always been a Sno-Seal guy myself. Not sure it wouldn't mess up the grain though. WILL darken the leather but it works like a dream. DO NOT let the wife catch you heating your boots up in the oven to set it in though......
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Not sure what the leather surface looks like, post a picture or link.
That being said,
"Sno Seal" or Orbensdorfs for any smooth leather, Nik-Wax anhydrous for rough surfaces.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Sno-seal is a temporary product.

Google the forum HERE

using "beeswax+boots" or something similar.
Posted By: skullmonkey Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Originally Posted by ironbender

Yes it is. I usually re-do mine every fall to keep them right. Pull out the laces, coat everything well, heat 'em up, rub them down & inspect the laces before returning them to service. It for sure isn't a permanent fix & needs to be redone occasionally.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Sno-Seal is garbage as a boot dressing. Beeswax based with solvents to make application easy... But it fails miserably when actually used in wet stuff.

Plain beeswax is orders of magnitude better; longer lasting, makes leather very abrasion resistant, and never soaks up enough water to allow the leather to stretch. Sloppy wet boots in many places can be beyond dangerous...
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
I always had good luck with Sno Seal. It will eventually cause full-grain boots to get hard and crack though, so its best not to overdo it, and, as noted, it is temporary. If you have an older style boot with a Norwegian welt, IE, visible stitches holding the soles on, this needs to be sealed with some sort of welt seal.
Posted By: pira114 Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Mink oil is the best. But can darken lighter colored leather.
Posted By: pira114 Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
And any good treatment is temporary. Tried one "permanent" thing once. Dont remember the name, but it won't let the leather breathe. Reapply mink oil once a year.
Posted By: Boise Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
I treated my three year old Schnee Hunters with Obenauf's this summer and have used them on numerous hunt days with snow. The treatment has held up better than any product I have previously used by a significant margin.

I warmed them in the sun, my boots aren't going to see the inside of my oven. Although I do use the oven to heat and treat the leather products I make.
Posted By: rrogers Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
+1 on the obenaufs. I usually apply the oil, after that soaks in and dries I apply the LP grease. My current pair of work boots are just shy of two years old. Pretty good testimony for leather boots in a coal mine.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
LP grease?
Posted By: JGray Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
+2 for Obenaufs - I haven't tried everything out there but used to use a lot of Sno Seal. Obenaufs works better for me than anything I've tried, though I'm intrigued with the pure bees wax treatment the Alaska folks swear by.
I don't believe in permanent treatment. how log the leather last is as much a product of the quality of leather as the treatment. I wear only top quality boots made with the best leather. Wesco whites danner. tho the danners are not even in the same league as the former. I am on the 3rd soles and the leather is still pretty good. they mostly have been treated with obenoffs. tho my other boots have been getting whites bee oil hubbards and Montana pitch. im thinking I like the Montana pich blend the best but you wont go wrong with hubbards or obonoffs.
Just clean your boots once a year with saddle soap, let them dry and then treat with mink oil.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
I've usually used beeswax, but as a mechanic, oil and solvents usually ruin them in five months instead of four and a half. Just heat with a hair dryer or set them in front of the fire place. It will darken your boots though.
+3 on Obenaufs LP on the threads on the welt I get a small can of beeswax and rub into the seam, then melt it in with careful use of a heat gun(low setting& keep it moving) also use the heat to melt in the ob's
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Originally Posted by pira114

Mink oil will REALLY soften leather, that may, or may not be what you are after. For mountain-type boots, that might not be a good thing.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Regardless of the selected treatment, I've found that doing the application outside on one of the sunny and hottest days of the year really helps things soak in. Most of us though are not thinking of our heavy winter boots, however, in July or August.

When the heat comes on though, all of my packs and boots go out for some serious treatment.
Posted By: ikesdad Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Another vote for Obenhaufs.

Snow seal is no good. It cracks and will not let your feet breathe.
Posted By: haverluk Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Obenhaufs all the way!
Posted By: BarryC Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Originally Posted by haverluk
Obenhaufs all the way!

$30 for it? Yow! cry
Posted By: Czech_Made Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Obenauf's!

I never ever experienced anything like it.
Posted By: fish head Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Another vote for Obenaufs. I apply it with a hair dryer.

It's only $11.95 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Obenaufs-Heav...208412&sr=8-2&keywords=Obenhaufs
Posted By: Hotload Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Originally Posted by pira114

+1

Mink oil is great stuff, been using it for years.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Used all the boot applications listed in this thread. Pecard waterproof shoe oil is better in my experience.

http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant....duct_Code=PSO4&Category_Code=shoeoil
Pecard's is the chitt. I can do a few more boots with what's left of the 32 oz container I bought years ago. Rubbed in by hand it does a great job of treating leather.
Here's a blurb form the website:

[Linked Image]

Company History - Pecard Chemical Co., Inc., started out as a small family-owned company in northeastern Wisconsin in 1902! Since then, Pecard has become the most trusted name in leather care. Why? Because our Leather Care Dressings have been tested, proven and perfected from the very beginning and our continued dedication to craftsmanship and quality has ALWAYS set Pecard apart from the rest.

More than 100 years ago in Lena, WI, Phil Pecard began to experiment with various formulas to protect, restore and seal leather gear. Pecard's original leather dressings and oils were not created out of vanity, but rather NECESSITY. The lumbermen of the Wisconsin north woods needed to protect their investment; they needed their expensive leather boots to last and to stay dry in the cold, wet and often harsh environment of Wisconsin's Northwood. That is why Phil Pecard created a product that held the promise, "NEVER LEAK".

Pecard History Admiral Richard ByrdPecard's commitment to quality earned his products an amazing reputation. Lumbermen swore by it. Factory workers endorsed it. Hunters wouldn't walk the woods without it. In fact, Admiral Richard E. Byrd specifically chose PECARD LEATHER DRESSING to protect his crew and their gear on the first expedition to the South Pole! Pecard Leather Dressing was also the only leather care product chosen by the crew of "Operation Deepfreeze", a series of explorations across the Arctic Circle.

Company website
Originally Posted by roundoak
Used all the boot applications listed in this thread. Pecard waterproof shoe oil is better in my experience.

http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant....duct_Code=PSO4&Category_Code=shoeoil

Should have refreshed the page before posting - totally agree with this post!
This is what I happen to be using right now.

[Linked Image]

I recently purchased a pair of danner Canadian hunters.

I don't know wtf happened over at Danner boot company but this "leather" felt exactly like the boots were made out of hard plastic pickup truck mud flaps.

I started with kiwi mink oil paste but switched to this nor-v-gen paste and it's working better to soften this ridiculously stiff dry leather.

Posted By: RogueHunter Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13

Have used this on leather motorcycle boots in the rain at 70 mph. Works fantastic - kept the tooties dry as a bone, and it smells fantastic - if you like pine pitch that is.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 700LH Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Obenaufs
Posted By: ironbender Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Originally Posted by ironbender

By temporary, I didn't mean 'needing to be recoated in a few months'.

I've had Snoseal removed from boots by wet grass blades 'flicking' against the boots. After about 30 minutes or so it's gone.

It works better on my sorrels, but that's mostly because the lowers are rubber and the coated leather uppers are covered with pant legs.
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

Have used this on leather motorcycle boots in the rain at 70 mph.

I ALWAYS apply my boot dressing at speeds less than 60 mph, especially when it's raining!

You sir, are an ANIMAL!

grin
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Pure beeswax is the best waterproofing I've found for hard use boot leather and lasts way the longest without softening or cracking the leather. The OP does not seem to describe a boot for hard use in constantly wet conditions however.

Beeswax is a little hard to apply but one application lasts for ages. On my current Asolos, I applied beeswax in late August and have hunted coastal alpine, rain forest, dry pine country, backpack hunted for five days in constant alternating rain/snow/rain, etc. As of last week they would stay dry all day in rain and slush. If the seams start leaking during my wet coastal predator calling this winter I'll re-apply, otherwise will wait till next Fall.

I have used almost every item in this thread. I like Obenauf's and have come to dislike SnoSeal. "Best" depends somewhat on your use of the boots. For my "town boots" that I want to look good, most any of these are easier to apply than beeswax, more likely to retain a good looking finish, and will do to cross a slushy parking lot to get to REI. whistle grin For multi-day constant use in a mix of rain, snow, gravel and alpine heather... beeswax.

Posted By: BarryC Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/16/13
Hmm... You got me wondering if that tube of Lyman bullet lube wouldn't be just the thing...
Posted By: Beargrease Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/17/13
Originally Posted by 04Hunter
Hello all, I just got a pair of Cabelas casual boots with full grain, pebbled leather. It is not suede, but is not smooth either. What product should I use to make them as water resistant as possible without ruining the grain of the leather? Any and all help is much appreciated.

Danner Boot Dressing. Use the clear color and it will not alter the appearance of the leather. Some of the other products suggested will do just that.
Posted By: Mikem2 Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/17/13
Second on the Montana pitch blend, use it on y schnees and everything else leather.
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/17/13
Will pure bee's wax affect the breathability of the leather?
I have a pair of Filson highlander boots that I have been using their brand of boot oil on.It has kept them absolutely waterproof for the past ten years . They have a few deep gashes on them now and I believe it might be time for a little more aggressive treatment.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/17/13
If you want to keep your feet dry, get a pair of Gore-tex or Sealskin socks to wear inside.
or just never go outside.

Posted By: Sauer200 Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/17/13
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you want to keep your feet dry, get a pair of Gore-tex or Sealskin socks to wear inside.

Uh, what part of already waterproof didn't you comprehend?
I just want to make sure the boots will stay breathable.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/17/13
Originally Posted by Sauer200
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Uh, what part of already waterproof didn't you comprehend?
I just want to make sure the boots will stay breathable.
I have 2 pairs of Gore-tex boots that leak.
Posted By: JGray Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/17/13
Originally Posted by Mikem2
Second on the Montana pitch blend, use it on y schnees and everything else leather.

I used to use it but found applications didn't last near as long as Obenaufs and I went through quite a bit of it in a season with repeated applications. It's defintiely easier to apply and does smell good - I'd use it again as a leather dressing, but not on boots...
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/17/13
Originally Posted by northern_dave
or just never go outside.

That is the obvious backtrail for a lot of folks giving advise here...
Posted By: hardway Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/18/13
Nikwax has worked pretty well for me on my Meindels, although I just got a sample can of Obenaufs with my Whites and I like it so far.
Posted By: zimhunter Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/18/13
When I received my custom W.C.Russells custom Sheephunters they came with a can of Pecards and a note that that was the recommended treatment for them. Have used it for almost 20 years and boots are still flexible as new and very water resistant.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Leather Boot Treatment - 12/18/13
Originally Posted by fish head
Another vote for Obenaufs. I apply it with a hair dryer.

It's only $11.95 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Obenaufs-Heav...208412&sr=8-2&keywords=Obenhaufs

Or $16.99 for the 8oz with free shipping at Cabela's

© 24hourcampfire