Home
Posted By: Certifiable .224 bullet identification - 12/30/13
Hey guys, Im looking for some help-

I acquired these unlabeled 90grn, .224 bullets. They seem to have a slight step in the base, hopefully the pictures capture that. they are also hollow point.Any information or guesses are appreciated. Thank you.

Attached picture photo 1(1).JPG
Attached picture photo 2(1).JPG
Attached picture photo 3(1).JPG
Attached picture photo 4(1).JPG
The rebated base looks like it came from a Corbin swage die.
http://www.corbins.com/bullets.htm#rbt
Hope this helps.
That looks like it 4570..read up a bit on their website, interesting.
Anybody have any experience shooting .224's this heavy? Seems a pretty specialty affair..
Going to need something with at least a 1:8 or faster twist. Preferably with more powder capacity than a 223/5.56. Are they lead or steel core?
Yeah Cali the only info I could find was talkin even faster than that..as far as core, don't know?? I'll hack one tomm and report..
I came across a decent sized batch of these so somebody musta had some plans drawn up..?
Appreciate the comments.
If it was done with Corbin's equipment, it's a lead core, no harder the bn14. Any harder then that an you risk breaking the dies. Most jacketed swaged bullets are done with soft lead.
Posted By: Paladin Re: .224 bullet identification - 12/30/13
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Anybody have any experience shooting .224's this heavy? Seems a pretty specialty affair..

I made some 130 gr. SWC .224 once upon a time, and yes, a very specialty affair...

BTW, they probably are from Corbin dies.
Posted By: BarryC Re: .224 bullet identification - 12/30/13
Looks like a fat hog to me. You are going to need something with some powder capacity to make that worth screwing with.
Originally Posted by Paladin

I made some 130 gr. SWC .224 once upon a time, and yes, a very specialty affair...

For a hornet........... Right? grin
Originally Posted by curdog4570

For a hornet........... Right? grin

How did you know? The bullet is long enough to seat right on top of the primer, which gives the primer more oomph. If you use a magnum primer packed with Bullseye as tight as you can, you can almost get the bullet out the end of the muzzle.

Actually, I used the 130's working up subsonic .223 loads.
Posted By: BarryC Re: .224 bullet identification - 12/30/13
Did the 130s stabilize? What twist?

Sounds like fun! smile
Shot out of a 1/7 at ~1,100fps just fine. They're a PITA to make.
Posted By: jimann Re: .224 bullet identification - 12/30/13
Hi
If you look at pictures of lapua bullets. They have kind of that tail. I also remember maybe Hornady made a boattail with that look. I do not know about .224, I shot them in .308.
Good luck!
jim
Thanks again guys. So what I'm gathering is these have no practical application in the .223/556 cartridge, requiring more case capacity to motivate? Also as my .223 and .22-250's wear factory barrels, they lack the twist required to stabalize these guys anyway..correct?

I've got a gaggle of these bullets, but doubt I'll be making a rifle around them... what would you guys do??
Thanks again guys. So what I'm gathering is these have no practical application in the .223/556 cartridge, requiring more case capacity to motivate? Also as my .223 and .22-250's wear factory barrels, they lack the twist required to stabalize these guys anyway..correct?

I've got a gaggle of these bullets, but doubt I'll be making a rifle around them... what would you guys do??

Send them to me. I'll trade you for some other weight .224's

Send them to me. I'll trade you for some other weight .224's

When you get 'em, you better set some back for Ed......... you know how he is about strange and weird thangs. grin
© 24hourcampfire