Home
Posted By: 6mm250 Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
Have we got any serious 4wd people on the campfire. What campfire member has the biggest , baddest , meanest , toughest 4wd ?

Show some pictures

Mike
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
If you want the baddest and meanest offroad ride, you need to think mule with hemorrhoids.
Posted By: tzone Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
Highbean's ride is pretty bad ass. Check out the 4x4 forum.
Mine seems to do ok on the rocks. 2" body lift, 4" suspension lift, 302 with edelbrock intake, holly projection, AOD trans, 4.56 r/p, detroit locker in the rear, trac lock in the front. 35" BFG mudders.
Been to Moab Utah, Farmington NM, Salton Sea Cal, Parker AZ, many years with the Phoenix 4 wheelers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tzone Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
Not a serious 4x4 but serious enough for what I'm going to use it for.

Paint within a month, 1978 F-150, 351M, 4-speed, 4x4. Fun truck.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rattler Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
not big but im sure most consider it a serious 4wd:
[Linked Image]

unfortunately i have to sell it.....just put new shocks and springs under it too....
my brother did manage to get it stuck in 2wd.....not sure why that meant i had to get muddy to attach the tow rope to yank it out

[Linked Image]
It could have been worse.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152601494000492
wow morons.....
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
I prefer to spend my money on other things, but can I count my D-6 CAT?

I have been over the Rubicon in some awesome jeeps, but by picking an easier route I could have done it in any of my stock 4X4's.

And my two legs have taken me places vehicles will never go, including my CAT.
Posted By: Ngrumba Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
My FJ40 cool

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
How about these?

Posted By: justin10mm Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 4xbear Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
[Linked Image]
Gimme' time. I'm working on it.
[Linked Image]

I really need to get updated pic's.

And No, I don't intend to tough test the trailered hulk like I did the tow rig.
Posted By: smithwr Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
[Linked Image]

Not serious but it's a work in progress. Will be bigger and better in the future.

Hey rattler why you having to sell? I remember when we were talking about it down in the 4x4 section.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
Don't guess I ever took a picture of my 151 on purpose.... or I can't find one at least. Here's a piece of it:

[Linked Image]

Some old fart leanin' on it:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
I do a lot of 4X4 trail riding here in North Florida. Beaches, National forests, State forests.
I am probably more serious than my old 4Runner is though. It's a 1988, with the 22R-E motor, auto trans and little 235-75R-15 Goodyears.
Still, I manage to run with the big dogs, and go most anywhere I need to go. It is my daily drive, making a lot of trips to Miami and back, Birmingham and back, Virginia and back.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: roundoak Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
Mama won't let me park this in the driveway.

[Linked Image]

So I have to drive the '87 to get to it.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Higginez Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
I don't know if it's serious, but it's big and it's 4wd.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: KFWA Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
Originally Posted by justin10mm
[Linked Image]

is he still around?
Posted By: Raeford Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
My FJ40 cool

[Linked Image]

A good friend had one of these back when we were teenagers. I don't think that there was ever a better built "stock" 4wd IMO.
Originally Posted by smithwr
[Linked Image]

Not serious but it's a work in progress. Will be bigger and better in the future.

Hey rattler why you having to sell? I remember when we were talking about it down in the 4x4 section.

my knees are chit and it hurts like hell to run a clutch.....on the lookout for a Jeep with an Automatic.....found a beat up TJ locally pretty cheap but its got a 5 speed crazy had it also had the 4.0 i prolly woulda bought it and swapped out but dont feel like doing that with the 2.5 thats in it.....if it already had the automatic i woulda just dealt with the 2.5....
Posted By: Pete E Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
Rattler,

Why not drop an auto box in yours? At least you know its history..

Regards,

Peter
Posted By: JPro Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
Serious 4 wheel drives around here don't have rocks to contend with, just mud. It would be something that doesn't weigh 3 tons, with lots of ground clearance, tall tires with big lugs, adequate gearing, and a good winch. Not much in the way of lockers, big power, or huge axles around here. A good Jeep or Toyota with 33-38" bias ply tires will do most of what we want to do.
Originally Posted by Pete E
Rattler,

Regards,

Peter

cant do it without heavy fab work.....between the inline 6 and the short wheelbase there isnt enough room...in order to make it work i would have to find a short V6 motor to put in it to give me extra room for the automatic transmission.....or loose 4WD by taking out the transfer case to make the room.....CJ5's are just to damn short with the 4.2L straight 6 like mine has....
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
Serious 4 wheel drives are trailer queens.
I don't own or want a trailer queen.
Had way to many trailer queens. Decided a street legal fits me better as I get older. Of course it has to be a Rubicon model. Two days of wheeling is about all my old back can stand.
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Serious 4 wheel drives are trailer queens.
I don't own or want a trailer queen.
Had way to many trailer queens. Decided a street legal fits me better as I get older. Of course it has to be a Rubicon model. Two days of wheeling is about all my old back can stand.

with the short wheelbase a street legal jeep can get you a hell of alot of places.....might not be the ultimate mud bogger or rock crawler but its one hell of a capable vehicle....same with the old Toyotas
Originally Posted by rattler
Rattler,

Regards,

Peter

cant do it without heavy fab work.....between the inline 6 and the short wheelbase there isnt enough room...in order to make it work i would have to find a short V6 motor to put in it to give me extra room for the automatic transmission.....or loose 4WD by taking out the transfer case to make the room.....CJ5's are just to damn short with the 4.2L straight 6 like mine has....

Look for an XJ. Street legal, will go where you want it too in your state. Has a heater and AC. Most came with auto trans.
Rattler,

Regards,

Peter

Look for an XJ. Street legal, will go where you want it too in your state. Has a heater and AC. Most came with auto trans.

i had a 95 XJ , my first vehicle.....loved that thing never got it stuck where i needed pulled out.....had to dig my self out many times but never had to be towed out when screwing around out in the hills.......but gave it to my step daughter when she got her licence and she backed into a pole with the passenger door open eek it also had a manual......sold it to my next door neighbor and he fixed it up......much rather have a CJ or Wrangler.....totally impractical for here in the winter but lots of fun spring summer and fall.....
Rattler,

Regards,

Peter

i had a 95 XJ , my first vehicle.....loved that thing, but gave it to my step daughter and she backed into a pole with the passanger door open eek it also had a manual......sold it to my next door neighbor and he fixed it up......much rather have a CJ or Wrangler.....totally impractical for here in the winter but lots of fun spring summer and fall.....

Well my 98 TJ would be just what you need, but not for sale. My 06 Rubicon is my DD when not in the truck.
98 has the fiberglass top. It might rain someday down here. Really good thing about it is that Jeep came with the D-44 and not the 35-C axle. Stronger, doesn't break as easy. Auto also, but old 3 speed, I think the next year Jeep went to a 4 speed.
i want something like a 98 TJ, especially a TJ with a 4.0L(loved that engine in my XJ).....would love a Rubicon but to much money for a toy when i have to have a truck too crazy
Posted By: smithwr Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
The one I put up is a 98 tj with 4.0 Sahara. But it is 5speed as well. I swore them off years ago but seems like everytime I find something I like its a manual, but I can live with that for now.

i want something like a 98 TJ, especially a TJ with a 4.0L(loved that engine in my XJ).....would love a Rubicon but to much money for a toy when i have to have a truck too crazy

I think most came with the 4.0 after the YJ 4 cyl.
Only 4 cylinder ever owned is a 46. Gave that one to my son, still runs but is a trailer queen to get to lease when used. Amazing how small those are compared to my LJ.
Hang in there. Kids will not be around forever, then the money flows into more toys.
The one I put up is a 98 tj with 4.0 Sahara. But it is 5speed as well. I swore them off years ago but seems like everytime I find something I like its a manual, but I can live with that for now.

i think i taught a dozen people to drive stick with that 5 speed in the 95 XJ.....it was extremely forgiving for a beginner and took the punishment of several people learning how to use a clutch with out a hiccup....still had the original clutch in it when i sold it.....

I drove only manuals. This 98 was bought on a trip down to Austin to see one son who got his degree in that town. Dogone if we didn't drive by a Jeep dealership that had a Red 98 sitting out front. Wife said oh I like that one. So we stopped and bought. She really did drive it for the first 50,000, busting your kidneys. Then gave to oldest son. Later years he had two kids to put in childs seats in the back of that thing (TJ). Felt bad so I gave him an XJ with a puck lift and 31's. 4 door auto. Made it easier on him. As life moved on I traded a 02 highlander or was going to trade it in on a Camery for the wife. Dealership wouldn't give enough, so I just called oldest son and asked if he wanted to trade one of his Jeeps for the Toyota, he said sure and gave me the 98, that's why I have that one back.
I use it to go to PO box. Keeps it running.
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Have we got any serious 4wd people on the campfire. What campfire member has the biggest , baddest , meanest , toughest 4wd ?

Show some pictures

Mike

I don't think any are serious here. Serious is built, not street legal, able to go up 36" straight up and down ledges that kind of deal. But I do have fun watching you guys break your Jeeps. Used to do that all the time.
Best I ever saw was a 30' wall with a small ramp. Moon buggies were all that used it. Climb that 30' wall hang the front tires on the top edge. ( Front and back brakes used separate)then work the buggy up and over the top. I'm not that brave in my older age.

i think i taught a dozen people to drive stick with that 5 speed in the 95 XJ.....it was extremely forgiving for a beginner and took the punishment of several people learning how to use a clutch with out a hiccup....still had the original clutch in it when i sold it.....

That's how my boys learned to drive. At that time it was an 87 XJ, standard. I just let em run at the deer lease. Later they would come back.
Sorry about the long stories guys. Was die hard until age catches up on the 4x4's.
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
[Linked Image]

The one on the left is mine, the one on the right is my brothers.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14

Curdog's comes closest to my ideal. Except his doesn't have twin Lewis guns.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by W7ACT
[Linked Image]

The one on the left is mine, the one on the right is my brothers.

Well those were the sleepers for years. Cheap, could be built to climb lots of hard trails. Then they were discovered and the price went up.
Posted By: joecool544 Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
There you go. You guys have trails up there with rocks. Great.
Originally Posted by tjm10025

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Rattler,

Regards,

Peter

Rattler, I had a CJ5 with 6 cyl and automatic trans.

I traded it to a friend who said they didn't make many of them.

Not really had to take it to Utah and California grin
I don't reckon I know Mr. Lewis, but mine has two of Mr. Weatherby's in it. grin
Originally Posted by joecool544

Not really had to take it to Utah and California grin

Understand on that. Moab is nice also in that area. Sticky granite.
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Rattler,

Regards,

Peter

Rattler, I had a CJ5 with 6 cyl and automatic trans.

I traded it to a friend who said they didn't make many of them.

with the 258ci 6cyl? know there were some with a V6....havent heard of any with the straight 6 mine has
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Granite is cool!
It was a straight six. I remember..... I pulled the head once.

It is setting in Seminole Tx as I write.

I'm thinking it was an early 'seventies, but I could be wrong about that.

It just wouldn't get over the big rocks on our MD lease if a front and back wheel came up against one at the same time.

It just wouldn't get over the big rocks on our MD lease if a front and back wheel came up against one at the same time.

huh....may have to do some more research.....
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
My FJ40 cool

[Linked Image]

Speaking of Toyota FJ40s, in the early '70s I worked for Florida Convoy they had to buy one as one of our drivers was loading one up on the head rack over the cab of his truck and backed it over the front end of the rack it ended upside down on the ground in front of his truck. Needless to say the driver spent eight hours in one of Jacksonville's emergency rooms on a gurney while the emergency room staff picked glass out of his ass.

As far as the Toyota is concerned Florida Convoy ended buying it and we used as a yard rig around the yard and back and forth between the yard and the Port.

huh....may have to do some more research.....

Here ya go rattler, that rear driveline must have been pretty stubby! eek
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f105/automatic-cj-transmissions-12123/
no chit cause i thought only the CJ7's came with Quadratrac just for that reason....TH400 is just to damn long for the short lil CJ5's...prolly just gonna be easest for my original plan of just finding a different vehicle....
My FJ40 cool

[Linked Image]

LOVE the old FJ40s! Pure Classic and hard to beat for a true expedition vehicle. smile

Here is a "serious" 4 wheel drive. Fully armored Land Cruiser. Lots of mean and nasty toys tucked away inside too..

[Linked Image]

Loved the LCs I used overseas as compared to the total POS suburbans.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
I don't have a dedicated 4x4 play toy , just this stock '06 Z71 which is my daily driver. It is neither fish nor fowl , too light for heavy work & too heavy for light work. It is a little unique in that you don't see too many that have a regular cab/short bed , not sure but they might not make 'em anymore.

[Linked Image]

Mike
no chit cause i thought only the CJ7's came with Quadratrac just for that reason....TH400 is just to damn long for the short lil CJ5's...prolly just gonna be easest for my original plan of just finding a different vehicle....

Wonder if that drive line would fit in a lunch box? laugh

Sent you a PM
Posted By: JeffG Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
Here's one just for Sunday goin'-t'-church

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
Originally Posted by joecool544
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Granite is cool!

That is cool as heck JoeCool but in terrain that rough, I'll walk, or pull cable if I absolutely HAD to go there.

If a 4cyl Toyota, with 31's and 2in of lift, won't get me there, I'll walk. I do desperately want a rear locker and maybe a Trutrac up front.
Posted By: fortymile Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/14/14
[Linked Image]
Mackay Sagebrush, here's one of those armored LCs trying to cross a river in Afghanistan.
Nice!

You can have the most capable vehicle out there, but if the driver is a dumazz, it won't amount to a pile of spit!

I notice the LC is flying an X-wing too. Nothing like having the bosses know "in real time" that your driver and most likely the vehicle commander has no common sense. smile

Posted By: wildbill59 Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/15/14
[Linked Image]
Posted By: toad Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/15/14
here is a water crossing...

here is my '91 Sub. 3/4 ton with 1 ton axles (Dana 60/14 bolt full floater, 4:10s and Detroit lockers in both) diesel, 4L80e trans. gathering parts for a Cummins 5.9 swap

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fortymile Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/15/14
Mackay, that was a PRT two-vehicle convoy, and yeah it wasn't the smartest idea to try that crossing. Luckily the other LC was able to pull this one backward off the boulder it was high-centered on. No harm done except to mangle the running board, which didn't belong on there in the first place. Love to be able to get a diesel powered LC here in the states.
Posted By: toad Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/15/14

[Linked Image]

RoadRunner, that's badass, doing the Golden Spike in a Ranger.

Posted By: ryanjay11 Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/15/14
These get me anywhere I want to be.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/15/14

Now you're talking my language. I bought a '98 TJ sport at the end of the year's production, moss green, hard top, AX15, 4.0L I6, with the factory rear dana 44 option. I put a 2" procomp spring lift and a 1" body lift with 1" taller currie motor mounts to avoid driveline wobbles. 3" of lift fits 33s well. Swapped in 4.10s with a Detroit locker in rear and a TruTrac gear driven limited slip up front. 'course, I couldn't leave well enough alone and 2 years later it was sitting on 35s with the gears swapped to 4.56 .. also did a TeraLow 4:1 transfer case conversion/upgrade and put in a 2WD low range kit.

Like anything else, flog it hard enough and it starts getting expensive to keep. It was my DD .. good thing I was a 25 minute walk from work 'cause sometimes it was scattered in pieces across the garage floor come Monday morning.

I'd love to have another one but they don't make brand new '98s and the '07 and later series don't yank my crank.

I had an '05 unlimited ... 2 door, unlike the current ones that are 4 door ... for about 3 years. In some ways better, in some ways worse.

Here's me in the '98. I call this picture "Kilroy was here." I was up there probably 30 seconds .. if you can't tell, those tires are spinning in the frog "snot". I didn't quite clear the passenger rear tire from the ditch ... I went about 75 yards walking the fine line between stuck and going doors-down.

[Linked Image]

Tom
Posted By: tomk Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/15/14

does it count if it never leaves the trailer?

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Show some pictures

Mike
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/15/14
Done quite a few mods since this photo, but you get the idea.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/15/14
Not mine, but some photos I stole off the net. I'll have to get some of mine uploaded onto my computer.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And the one dad drove 70 years ago.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/15/14

[Linked Image]

In case anyone else thinks this photo is bad azz, here's a brief history:
http://www.m201.com/sasjeep.htm
Originally Posted by fortymile
Mackay, that was a PRT two-vehicle convoy, and yeah it wasn't the smartest idea to try that crossing. Luckily the other LC was able to pull this one backward off the boulder it was high-centered on. No harm done except to mangle the running board, which didn't belong on there in the first place. Love to be able to get a diesel powered LC here in the states.

Quite familiar with PRTs. Two vehicle convoys are pretty thin.... smile

Of course being thin is nothing new.

That being said, I would not want you to think I was all uppity about getting stuck. Well versed in snapping tow straps! smile

[Linked Image]

Desert sand is one of the main reasons I have no use for the SUBs. The LCs are a much better off road platform, but as you well know, they are not for big or tall guys in full kit. My damn helmet hits on the inside roof panel interior. Extremely capable machines. I understand completely about wanting a diesel version CONUS.

The one major problem with the diesel versions from my experience though, is that they are very, very slow on the takeoff. It is hard to get away fast with the chugging diesels.

BTW, I run an FJ62 at home. smile
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/15/14
Originally Posted by Higbean
[Linked Image]

That's just plain awesomeness in my book!!!!! cool
Posted By: kecatt Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/15/14
Originally Posted by 222Rem

[Linked Image]

In case anyone else thinks this photo is bad azz, here's a brief history:
http://www.m201.com/sasjeep.htm

Great read!
Posted By: RobJordan Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/15/14
I started this resto on a 1952 M-38 12 years ago this spring. I hope to have it finished here in about 3 weeks. Have a guy wiring it for me right now, then got to fit the hood and straighten, weld and paint the window frame. It has the original Go-Devil engine, overhauled and bored .050 over. It has a 2.5" lift and powr-lock limited slip diffs, front and rear. Took me five years to find one for the front. Every worn gear, seal, bearing and bushing has been replaced. I installed an aluminum gas tank between the frame rails behind the rear axle. The jerry can will be modified to allow me to drain 5 gallons directly into my fuel tank when she gets low. It has a Warne over-drive and the rear axles are converted to floaters with lock-out hubs so I can flat tow it.

Jordan

Jordan [img]http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/J...amp;_suid=138975873488000588540404300778[/img]

http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/J...amp;_suid=138975873488000588540404300778

Originally Posted by toad

[Linked Image]

RoadRunner, that's badass, doing the Golden Spike in a Ranger.

[Linked Image]

Going into Micky's hot tub on the same run. For those who think it is a trailer queen, it is street legal. I drove it to Farmington NM, went 4 wheeling for 3 days then drove to Moab Utah and did several of the trails out there for 4 more days and drove home. laugh
Posted By: Higginez Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/15/14
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by Higbean
[Linked Image]

That's just plain awesomeness in my book!!!!! cool

Thanks man. It's been a long road getting it to where it is. I have it almost where I want it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
After the Cummins swap but before the shell.
[Linked Image]
I've had it lots of crazy places, but the only time I snap pics is when I stop to pee it seems.

Posted By: fortymile Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/15/14
Mackay yes a 2-rig convoy is thin, but this was in Panjshir, which I'm sure you know is about the least troublesome area in Afghanistan. Until fairly recently, that particular PRT mostly traveled about in soft-skinned Hiluxes and the like. I agree those diesel LCs aren't too quick but I think the weight of the armor and glass is responsible for some of that...
Posted By: kecatt Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/15/14
This pales in comparison to most rigs in this thread but my '85 Ranger impressed myself and a few friends on some western Nebraska mule-deer hunts. V-6, 5 speed, nothing special. I sold it with over 200,000 miles on the odo. It was originally red but I rolled it and did a cab/bed swap from a donor rig. I still miss it....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/16/14
Not mine but pretty serious 4 wheel drive.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Rovering Re: Serious 4 Wheel Drives - 01/16/14
With a lot of money and time you can build a better rock crawler than a stock Series Land Rover, but for a go most places anywhere in the world decade after decade with just basic maintenance and not too careless driving they can not be beat.

[img]http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/attachment.php?attachmentid=5926&d=1386223641[/img]

Here is my old girl.

As to the wading / fording failures pictured above, these old trucks are only limited by their drivers need to breath. Somewhere I have a pic of an acquaintance's Series Truck crossing a river fully submerged with him riding and steering from on top of the truck.
© 24hourcampfire