Home
A little background... my son is small for his age so he gets picked on a fair amount by bigger kids. He's not afraid to dish it back if it needs doing and has the right attitude to do so. He's a wrestler and and in football, plays fullback, d-lineman and linebacker, despite being one of the smaller kids...

My boy and severl others were involved in a 'tussle' on the playground at school, during a recess football game. Typical 9-12 year old school yard BS. My kid was knocked down by one of the bigger kids. He got up, dropped him, and jumped on to let him know there would be no more of that. Some teachers and other kids pulled the boys apart. Jack (my son) was sent to the school psychologist because he punched the other kid. crazy He explained what happened. He also told them he was taught to defend himself but not start fights which is what happened, and they could call me. He was then sent to talk to Mr. Principal.

I got the call...

In the mean time the principal met with BOTH boys at the same time and asked what happened. Jack explained his version, then the other kid. It sounds like the bigger kid told the truth and said he struck first. Both boys told the principal that they didn't think either kid should get in trouble, they're competitive boys and it was a heat of the moment "football thing" that was already handled. Mr. Principal said big kid deserved what he got since he started it, but it's not OK for that behavior on school property...took FB at recess away for the rest of the month.

I got to school and asked to talk to Mr. Principal. I was told he was in a "meeting." Both boys came out of his office while I was there and he was curious as to why I was there. I told him mrs. psychologist called and told me to come in. He was rather shocked, and a bit irratated, and told me there was no reason. He and the boys had it sorted out. I did talk to him to get the story though. Kinda wierd. I'm sure the psychologist will not be pleased. grin

I'm pleased with the outcome and decision by the principal. He seems to know what goes on with boys, and didn't suspend them in or out of school. Didn't feel the need to call parents in to pick them up (psychologist had different ideas) and business as usual. Didn't seem to agree with the "zero tolerance" crap where both would have been suspended.
MY GOD, a school official with common sense, I AM SHOCKED!
....was sent to the school psychologist because he punched the other kid.

There's the problem, right there. Schools don't need a psychologist.
My only comment is that the big kid should have gotten something extra, next kid he knocks down might not be able to respond like yours did.

But, yeah, overall a much better response than normal. And considering it's Minnesota, I'm surprised! grin
Astounding story. Maybe there is yet hope. wink
when i was in highschool i swear the shop teacher and ag teacher would take bets on who would win.
boys will be boys, good on your kid for defending him self and good on the principle for seeing it for what it was.

and what rockinbbar said schools don't need psychologist
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

OH NO. He can never be a gun owner. Tell em to pizz up a rope.
Originally Posted by Calhoun
My only comment is that the big kid should have gotten something extra, next kid he knocks down might not be able to respond like yours did.

But, yeah, overall a much better response than normal. And considering it's Minnesota, I'm surprised! grin

i disagree the kid got his azz beat by some one smaller i think that should work, and it was over football boys are boys
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy

i disagree the kid got his azz beat by some one smaller i think that should work, and it was over football boys are boys

No, the OP's kid is getting punished for self defense just as much as the other kid is for assault. The assaulting party should get more punishment, unless the defender carried the self-defense too far.
Dang, that was a good story actually. I was expecting some knee-jerk, zero tolerance, 9 day suspension story. Some school admin seem to have a little common sense in MN!

Thanks for sharing...
Perfect outcome T. wink

Gunner
Hey Tom, Joey had one of those last week, same thing. Bigger kid was teasing and shuved him down in the playground. Joey socked him in the gut and took him down. They were pealed apart and ultimately it was the principal that pieced together the story. Joey was nervous about going to see the principal with the other boy because he said the other boy was just going to lie. I told him he can't do nothing about the other boy, just tell the truth and see if the principal figures it out.

He did.

No problems.

Originally Posted by Wook
Dang, that was a good story actually. I was expecting some knee-jerk, zero tolerance, 9 day suspension story. Some school admin seem to have a little common sense in MN!

Thanks for sharing...

That's where I work. Common sense is not common.
It is nice to see some common sense, my daughter drew a picture of the gun she got for Christmas and she did not get suspended.
Originally Posted by heavywalker
It is nice to see some common sense, my daughter drew a picture of the gun she got for Christmas and she did not get suspended.

Oklahoma is enacting 'Common Sense' legislation to do away with that sort of silliness in this state.

Gunner
I have a grandson it grade school in Caldwell ID. He took a pocket knife to school. My son got the call to come to school. Principal said my grandson was suspended for the rest of the day. He was told to never do it again. All over, done deal. Principal was more concerned about the kid breaking a rule than the knife and admitted to my son he had carried a knife all throughout all his schooling.

There are good people in some school systems. If this happened in many other places the world might have ended.
It does sound like common sense ruled the day. Some places would have brought in squads of counselors the next day so that any kids who witnessed the tussle could see them.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I agree. I went to my daughters Middle School orientation a few week ago and there are 3 of them! A waste of $ IMO.
Originally Posted by Scott F
I have a grandson it grade school in Caldwell ID. He took a pocket knife to school. My son got the call to come to school. Principal said my grandson was suspended for the rest of the day. He was told to never do it again. All over, done deal. Principal was more concerned about the kid breaking a rule than the knife and admitted to my son he had carried a knife all throughout all his schooling.

There are good people in some school systems. If this happened in many other places the world might have ended.

Ct. woulda closed down the state and dispatched the National Guard with a complimentary battery of drones. crazy grin

Gunner
Yep. My forth grade grandson would be wearing prison stripes.
Originally Posted by Wook

Thanks for sharing...

I was as well. The principal they had last year would have used all that!

I always ask them what they learned that day when I pick them up from the bus stop. Last week he told me they talked about God and how he created everything in the universe! I damn near drove in the ditch...he's in public school after all.

My daughter said they they say the pledge and sing the National Anthem every morning as well. Shocked again.

We live in a pretty conservative area of MN. It's near the twin cities, but apparently far enough away for good values yet. That was one of the reasons my ex-wife and I chose this area, as well as the schools. So far, it sounds like we were correct.
Good to hear Dave. Joey has some practice from his brother pickin on him. grin
Originally Posted by Scott F
Yep. My forth grade grandson would be wearing prison stripes.

lmao.

Gunner
Hey Tom.

Buy that man a Miller! (or Leinies)

Paul
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Hey Tom.

Buy that man a Miller! (or Leinies)

Paul

The kid or the principal? The kid will drink it so, um....no. laugh

YOUR kids don't need a psychologist. I'd have to see that lady's job description but I'd guess most of what she does is monitor for child abuse in all its nefarious forms, and I ain't talking ordinary spanking/home corporal punishment. Could be sexual, physical, parent providing drugs and/or alchohol, parents absent from home for long periods of time etc etc....

Granted along with all of that she's quite likely a Liberal twinkie also.

As for the phone call to parents; your kid gets in a fight and we HAVE to notify the parents. Otherwise little Johnny goes home with cuts and bruises and the parent hears THEIR version of events, and even good parents will have wanted to be informed right off.

Birdwatcher
Hey, Prince-apples like beer, too! Ask me how I know! grin

Aww heck T, thousands of decisions like that gotta be made every day, else administrators would just be buried in paperwork.
Originally Posted by T LEE

+2
Great story, great outcome. A handful of years ago my son, while in kindergarten, took a empty 12ga cartridge into school without me knowing. He of course got caught with it. The teacher returned it to my wife at the end of the day. End of story. We laugh about it now, but in this day and age the wrong kinda teacher could of made it messy.
Well with the job they have to do...I would too. laugh Wait, I already do.
I taught or 30 years. The outcomes in cases like this are usually just like your's. The only problem is that the positive outcomes rarely make it to the internet.

99% of the horror stories that get posted are not telling the whole story. Just a bunch of people with an agend and a kid who screwed up and they want to blame the school instead of teaching their kids responsibility.
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy

No, the OP's kid is getting punished for self defense just as much as the other kid is for assault. The assaulting party should get more punishment, unless the defender carried the self-defense too far.

The "punishment" was common when I was his age, I'm 56 now. No big deal, no psychologist intervention, principal did it right.
I was the new guy in 8th grade and got dog-piled by the regulars in a recess football game. I came up swinging and got the biggest guy in school down. He fought back, we both got suspended for three days. My principle wasn't down with the logic "Boys will be boys". BUT, I did not have any more trouble and we were friends from then on.
Truly, boys will be boys and that needs to be recognized.
© 24hourcampfire