Home

Homeless man 'lucky to be alive' after lion attack

A homeless man was repeatedly bitten and clawed by a mountain lion at a Southern California encampment, but was expected to survive, state game wardens said Sunday.

The unidentified man, believed to be in his 50s, was camping near State Route 74 west of Perris late Saturday when he was mauled, California Department of Fish and Game Lt. Patrick Foy said.

Foy told the Riverside Press-Enterprise (http://bit.ly/1k1Y4T3) the man didn't know what attacked him, but puncture wounds, bite marks and cuts to his body indicate he was mauled by a big cat.

"We are about 99 percent that it was a lion," Foy said. "The conclusion is based solely on the victim's injuries and the extent of the injuries."

The man was recovering at a hospital after undergoing emergency surgery.

"He's lucky to be alive," Foy said.

The attack prompted wardens to set up traps in the area. Foy said mountain lions typically return to the scene of a kill 24 to 48 hours later so they can continue feeding.

Mountain lion attacks on humans are not common.

Since 1986, there have been 15 confirmed attacks _ with three fatalities _ in the state, according to California Department of Fish and Wildlife records.

2014 The Associated Press.
Mountain Lions gotta eat, same as worms. laugh
Cali F&G out breaking the law again - don't they know it is against the law to trap lions?

I know, I know, nothing to see here, move along.
Last I heard is that Kalifornia Fish&Game boys are trapping and destroying more 'problem' lions each year than were ever killed in a hunting season by legal harvest.

Who would have guessed?
I hope he recovers. A lot of homeless people who shouldn't be and don't want to be.
just make sure they use all copper bullets and single shot rifles. No AR-15s shooting lead bullets when they catch up to the kitty.
9 out of 10 cougars agree: Homeless men taste like spotted owls.
Originally Posted by JoeMama

grin

9 out of 10 Californians would prefer lions to humans anyway.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by JoeMama

grin

9 out of 10 Californians would prefer lions to humans anyway.

And there lies the problem.................
Recovering at a hospital after emergency surgery? But, but, I thought that people without insurance can't get medical care.
The attack prompted wardens to set up traps in the area.

Call out the Keystone cops grin
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Recovering at a hospital after emergency surgery? But, but, I thought that people without insurance can't get medical care.

They won't if 0 gets his entire plan going. New disasters are scheduled to be rolled out next year.
Homeless no more..

Seems that cat was property of the state of Ca. and the state didn't protect him, probably good for a multi million dollar setlement!
good kitty
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

The attack prompted wardens to set up traps in the area. Foy said mountain lions typically return to the scene of a kill 24 to 48 hours later so they can continue feeding

How is lion going to continue feeding when it didn't kill the guy? (sarcasm)
Will there be bait in traps? Why are they going to mess with lion anyway? Lion was just being a lion. CA is full of idiots, evidently even at F&G.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Mountain Lions gotta eat, same as worms. laugh

Yep, they sure do.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Last I heard is that Kalifornia Fish&Game boys are trapping and destroying more 'problem' lions each year than were ever killed in a hunting season by legal harvest.

Who would have guessed?

Yeah, but it is more righteous if tax payer have to fund the trapping.
its called a shovel ready job.
This area is about 1 hr NE of where I live. There are a number of lions up there and they've had issues of attacks on mountain bikers and runners. I asked a warden last year about open carry in this area and they said something to the effect that it was okay to open carry but the gun couldn't be loaded. WTF. crazy

Eric
I read, a while back that it is against the law to discharge a gun to scare off a MT Lion. People were losing cats and dogs to a lion and one owner used firecrackers to scare it off and the F&G came and told him you cant shoot a firearm to scare them or firecrackers. No scaring the kitties. How the hell do you defend your own property?
They're probably citing local city and/or county ordnances against discharging firearms. IIRC, however, under state law you can legally kill a lion that is in the act of attacking a human or ANY domestic animal. For a while, DFG was issuing depredation permits after the fact, but I've been gone from the state for three years, so I don't know if they're still doing that. In any event, it's safe to assume that if you do kill one, you should expect to have to prove your innocence. All of which makes me grateful that I am now in Texas, where we can legally shoot lions on sight.
trust me on this one I live in California they should trap the meth head homeless and feed them too the lions
© 24hourcampfire