Home
Posted By: roundoak Oldest house you have owned? - 02/23/14
I owned a "Four square" brick house built in 1919.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Oldest house you have owned? - 02/23/14
I had a 1934 Cape Cod. Wonderfully built house.
The one I'm living in now, built in 2000.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Oldest house you have owned? - 02/23/14
The one Im in, the only house Ive owned.1978
Originally Posted by ingwe

Nahhh... Never mind It's Subday ad I like Ingwe
Posted By: EWY Re: Oldest house you have owned? - 02/23/14
Our present house built in 1916. Original plaster walls throughout except the bathroom.

Ernie
didnt own it but grew up in it and parents still live there.....was built around 1900 by a guy that owned a lumber yard.....if you could weight it it would prolly weight twice as much as any similar size house as its got twice the amount of lumber needed to make a good house.....every carpenter or such that has done work on it leaves the job shaking there head....hell it was moved 35 miles from one town to another as that was cheaper than buying/building a new house by my grandfather in the 50's as one of his friends moved buildings for a living and the house traveled just fine....
The little house we live in now. Original structure was built in the early '20s.

Ed
I own my Wife Grandfather House he built in 1882 . I just had it redone inside after some renters about totaled it and ran off owing a few months rent . What i get for feeling sorry for them.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Oldest house you have owned? - 02/23/14
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by ingwe

Nahhh... Never mind It's Subday ad I like Ingwe

And you know I will find you at the Pig Hunt, and sit on you�.
i;ve got a 57ac piece of property that has a settlers home on it that we still use for a hunting cabin, from sometime around 1850. Some of our relation back then built it, tamarack frame and all. The old blacksmith shop still stands as well.
My house was built in the 1850's. the barn in 1870's and the milk house in the 1930's

I have a cousin who's house was built in the 1790's. and had remained in the same family until he bought it
This 1860's log cabin, still own it today. No electricity, all gas lighting. this is the third chimney it has had on it and we put a rumford firplace in when we replaced chimney. still needs a lot of work.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1903 Craftsman. The workmanship was amazing.
Posted By: Teal Re: Oldest house you have owned? - 02/23/14
Current home. Built 1940. Noticeably more solid than a family member's home built in 1976. Brothers house built 2011 isn't more solid either.

Oddly enough, very little updating to the house and my energy bills are lower than either of theirs as well.
Wow! I lke those dove-tail notched corners.
I live in the house my Great Grand Father built in 1898 or 1900, no one is certain on the date. Bathroom and one room added in 1963. Old barn that could be 125 to 130 years old still standing but in rough shape due to unstable sandstone foundation. Barn wood and old beams from old barn could be worth more than the house.

Farmhouse in upstate NY from around 1880, remuddled over the years. Some of the worksmanship of the original house was amazing, but when I owned it in the late 1980's it was just an old house. Wiring codes were unheard of, plumbing sucked, walls for the most part were uninsulated.

If someone likes working on a house every single weekend I highly recommend one.
Unfortunately the one I live in know. 1965 No closet space and old windows. Needs a little work.

Only house I've owned, built 1991. Next house up the hill was built in 1776.
19 and 68. Lived in a few for brief periods built when Lee and Jefferson were about.
My parents bought a farm, 500 acres with a barn built with timber cut on the farm and house built of bricks made from the clay of the Conoquenessing Creek. There were seven hand-dug wells and one windmill. Inside the attic of the three story house was a fifty foot long 9 foot diameter copper water tank.\

The house was built in 1806-7-8 (It took that long.) by a retired sea captain from New Bedford, Mass a couple of free-men, and for sure a pair of local American Indian brothers. The original cistern, on the side of a VERY steep hill, wads made of what looks like granite, was four feet deep - six long - and six wide. The water was always very, very cold and as sweet as a mouth full of honeysuckle blossoms. I wish that it was still in the family but, like much that I was blessed to be a part of ads a youngster, it is no longer what it once was.

Terry
1902. Old Doctors mansion of 13,128 sq ft.
Full of ghosts too.
We don't know exactly. It's not on a 1822 map, but it is on a 1837 map. We guess around 1830.
My house was built in 1895.
I've also owned one other that was built before 1891.
This is the one I have now:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I owned a small farm in Md. back in the 1980s. The original house was on the county plat of 1858. I never did find how old it actually was.
Current house, built in 1930.
I live in a brick bungalow with a field stone foundation from 1923.

It has it's drawbacks,...but I'd have a hard time leaving here.

It's like living in an antique.

The street out front is a bit narrow, because there were more horses patrolling it than cars when it was laid down.

It sags here and there,...but it'll last me as long as I'm going to need it.

It's seen a lot come and go.

The great depression,...WW2,..the beat generation,..Vietnam,...

No tellin' how many people have died here,..and I'll probably be yet another one.
I can barely close the French doors in the summer that separate the great room from the dining room. In this cold as window, they are 1/2" apart when closed.

I love living, breathing houses.
I've never stayed in one place too awful long,...but I've been here 15 years.

That's the longest that I've even been in one place.

[Linked Image]
The houe "High Brass" was raised in. Built around 1917 for workers in the Nitro, WV powder plant. Moved in the 20's or 30's to Dunbar, WV by barge. I bought it in 1977. Ex owns it now.
oldest that I have owned?

the one I've lived in since 1990. Never thought we'd still be in it by this point.

the original was built sometime in the 50's, it's been added on to, we've done some stuff to it, but it's basically functionally obsolete.

cast iron plumbing in some places, old electrical wires, have replaced all the windows, siding roof, etc.

I've made some mistakes, but the worst was when we had it resided not to put up another 2x4 wall so that we'd have 8 inch staggered walls

it's a great location, good well for our area, but it's a constant headache.
My present residence built in '76.

[Linked Image]
I built all three of my places. My house I live in now is 4 1/2 yrs old. [Linked Image]
One of my aunts lived in a house built after the civil war in NW PA.
1894, current house.

Bought it from M-I-L, was added on to and indoor plumbed in 53' remodeled in early 80's then new windows and siding 2005.

Still needs more work, I'm not a carpenter so gets done when money permits.

Mike
Posted By: BGunn Re: Oldest house you have owned? - 02/23/14
The one I live in now. I've lived here 37 years, and they just paved the road last summer.

Built 1866 (The pole barn's newer, 1996) ...

[Linked Image]

Here's what we did with the old barn..

[Linked Image]

New barn..

[Linked Image]

We find a lot of interesting old newspapers that people have stuffed in the house walls over the years for insulation. Here's one I found...

[Linked Image]

That one's from 1886, about 2 game wardens murdered in Maine.

I like the house, works for me...

Posted By: EdM Re: Oldest house you have owned? - 02/23/14
Our first, built in 1953. That was five houses ago.
Originally Posted by Hammered
I live in the house my Great Grand Father built in 1898 or 1900, no one is certain on the date. Bathroom and one room added in 1963. Old barn that could be 125 to 130 years old still standing but in rough shape due to unstable sandstone foundation. Barn wood and old beams from old barn could be worth more than the house.

you should start working on that foundation and rebuild it all over the next year or 2 befor u just have a pile of lumber , lots of work went into them , respect the builder and keep the heritage, please cool

We still own a house in a small town in rural Minnesota that was built in the 1890s.
It's really beyond restoration, but it still has charm, and is a very comforting place to be.

A dungeon for a basement with stone walls, a dirt floor, and a massive old cistern to catch rain water.

We found an old heavy stock photograph of the original owner and his daughters in the basement -
that the last surviving daughter probably stuffed in there between the foundation and the structure,
to keep out the cold winds and snow, in her old age.

There is also an old newspaper between some rafters up in the attic that tells of Custer's battle at the Little Big Horn -
even though that was long before this house was built. A previous owner told me he found it up there and 'put it back'.

I've yet to go up there myself in all these years - but I know a couple roofers were up there after I found out ...

But I know one of them is an honest man.
The house I am sitting in.
Built in perhaps 1900,--1914.

A balloon type, 2x4 studs sill, to top story plate.
loghouse , dovetail corners Cedar logs built as a bath house by the Doukabours some time early 1900s ,became a cabin then a chicken house then a garage , somebody cut the end out 8' wide ,
I bought it for 500 dollars worth of work , work party to dismantle it loaded into my gravel truck and flatdeck.
dumped it between 2 heavy fence posts 8 ' wide, all the logs were numbered and stacked as they came off the house ,then when dumped were in the right order to reassemble. 16 by 30 and once I had the foundation poured and the base logs trimmed to sit on concreat instead of rocks a one day work party reassembled it to wall hight in one day , Good neighbours i'll tell ya

norm
Norm, then what use did it find?
1920 2 story house was my 1st home I purchased when I was 23 yrs old
dont own it but the one we are in now was 1892, built of sandstone. walls are about 20 ins. thick takes a while for it to get warm but once it does holds heat for quite awhile
Posted By: sjc Re: Oldest house you have owned? - 02/23/14
The one I am now. Built in 1790. Chestnut post and beam construction. Horse hair plaster. I think the floors are yellow pine but I am not positive about that.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Norm, then what use did it find?

instead of the original roof I put o 12 in 12 pitch trusses 26' wide offset 10' to the south had a conc deck and an dining room extension under that .
trusses were room stile bedroom being 12' by 26' with closets between trusses, sloped ceiling started at about 5' high, tin roof , hole cut for garage became the fireplace with a 2' window on either side, wood heat off the grid ,propane stove fridge lights instant hot water. eventualy a 15000 gal water tank above the house for gravity feed with the bottom 5000 reserved for fire fighting if need be. Helps to have your own equipment and a bartering attitude grin

norm
A late 1800's house, 2 story,had the lathe and plaster interior with lots of horsehair in the plaster, basement had been hand dug after the house had been built, it was in a really nice quality house in an old historic Montana town.

I sold it after 2 years because it was haunted. Afterwards I found out that it sold about every 2 years because that is all the time people could stand it. Sure enough the folks we sold it too moved out in about two years. My kids who are in their 40's now still talk about all of the weird things that went on the house.

Didn't mean to digress too much from the age of the house theme but sometimes you get more than you bargain for when you buy one. After that one all of my houses have been newly built.

drover
Posted By: batch Re: Oldest house you have owned? - 02/24/14
House in Missouri. Was on land given for service in the war of Northern aggression. Built about 1875 but added to through the years. It's an interestng house but has reminded me of the movie "Money Pit". Still have the abstract back to the beginning.
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
1902. Old Doctors mansion of 13,128 sq ft.
Full of ghosts too.
I think I remember you talking about it years ago.
Originally Posted by teal
Current home. Built 1940. Noticeably more solid than a family member's home built in 1976. Brothers house built 2011 isn't more solid either.

Oddly enough, very little updating to the house and my energy bills are lower than either of theirs as well.

That has a whole lot more to do with who built than when it was built.

The house we live in now I built in '08-'09. It's a heck of a lot more solid and better built house than the one we moved out of which was built back in the 20's.
I'm living in the newest house I've ever owned right now, built in 1954. Built hell for stout.

Jim
Small farm in upstate NY, house built 1847, cut stone steps and walls in basement, dirt floors. I did fine with cows, poor in divorce court.
Oldest that I've owned is my current one in western NC, it's built ca. 1945.

House that I grew up in, in the outskirts of Bethlehem in upstate NY, oldest map showing it was from ca. 1769 IIRC.

The house was originally a 2 room stone house with hand hewn beams and t&g boards with a shake roof, in the early 60's my great grandfather, a carpenter for the D & H railroad, built an additon that doubled the size.

The old part was awesome, the beams were easily 16" square, the walls were field stone, 2 feet thick packed with mud and horse hair, most of the window panes in the 3 8 x 8 windows were still that old wavy, bubbly glass. Many places the mortar has cracked out and many birds nested in the walls, my bedroom was on the second floor, it used to be the hay mow, but my GGF raised the roof to make the second floor, and on summer mornings, when they started singing before sunrise it would drive me nuts.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Oldest house you have owned? - 02/24/14
My current home. Built in the early 20's.
I think the first house I owned was originally built in the 1920's. I lived there for about 2 years. Just thinking about it now, the place had an attic that I never even bothered to look in. Wonder if I missed something.
Posted By: tack Re: Oldest house you have owned? - 02/24/14
I owned a plain rectangle two story brick house with slate roof, copper gutters and downspouts;two stone fireplaces. Floor joists etc. 3X12" rough lumber. Freeport , Long Island N.Y.in 1972.
Posted By: temmi Re: Oldest house you have owned? - 02/24/14
Our Galveston House was built in 1912

Snake
Posted By: tzone Re: Oldest house you have owned? - 02/24/14
The first house I owned. It was built in 1962 and I bought it for $69K. It was hell for stout, just small. 970sf. Man I wish I still had that house!
Current cottage was built in the early 1800's, old but not that old by British standards.

Ex FIL lived in a cottage that dated back to the 1400's, although it had been extended and modified slightly over the years as creature comforts improved... [Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Pete E
Current cottage was built in the early 1800's, old but not that old by British standards.

Ex FIL lived in a cottage that dated back to the 1400's, although it had been extended and modified slightly over the years as creature comforts improved...

i knew you were gonna kick our arses on this one crazy laugh
LOL! Yeah, a lot of history around here..

A barn on the property next to where I shoot rabbits is built on the foundations of a Roman building of some sort..heck, the city I work is built on the remains of a Roman city, including a small amphitheatre and some Roman baths..Human settlement on the site goes back futher than that even, probably back to an iron age fort: it all depends how much digging you want to do! grin
the one i grew up in made 1873 100 years before me.Still have original stone house just behind it.A guy stopped one day that aged old stone buildings.He said most likely 1836 and was able to show and describe how long it took to build,by looking at the mortar and stones.Not sure if he was accurate.
My house was built in 1892, pretty old by Mississippi standards.

I'm not gonna go toe to toe with a Brit on the old house stuff though, what's considered old over here isn't even broken in well to those guys.
Posted By: EricM Re: Oldest house you have owned? - 02/24/14
Originally Posted by Pete E

Ex FIL lived in a cottage that dated back to the 1400's, although it had been extended and modified slightly over the years as creature comforts improved... [Linked Image]

Very cool looking property!

My last house was built in 1927. Spanish style home in SoCal. It had great style but talking about a money-pit!

Eric
The "Manse."
Jefferson,TX
Built 1837
Originally Posted by EricM

Very cool looking property!

My last house was built in 1927. Spanish style home in SoCal. It had great style but talking about a money-pit!

Eric

Trouble with a property like that is that it is "listed" meaning you are legally very restricted to what alterations and repairs you can carry out.

Plus that thatched roof only has a life span of between 15 and 20 years before it needs redoing, which is a big expense. Also the FIL had trouble getting it insured due to the fire risk; it seems a wood burning stove in a thatched cottage made them a touch nervous!
Posted By: EricM Re: Oldest house you have owned? - 02/24/14
Pete, are the ceilings super low in the house? I went to a pub that was built a few years earlier than that and you had to stoop under the crossbeams while walking around. It seems that people were shorter back then. lol.

Eric
The doorways were quite low and the stairs was deathtraps to anybody over 5' 6", as were the upstairs rooms...

The original part of the building would have been the central part framed by the black oak beams in that picture..It would have just been a one room affair that the occupants shared with their cattle/stock.

Later, a second floor was added along with the upstairs window, and then the brick gable in the photo which contains a large "inglenook" (sp?) fireplace..

You could actually get up inside the chimney breast and there were still iron hooks up there that were used for hanging meats for smoking.. To one side of the fireplace were various ovens for cooking, plus a small heated cupboard for storing your salt to keep it dry..

Some of the internal walls were wattle and daub that were thought to be original..

Very interesting place, but very small internally..
Current house built in 1892.
This is the old market square in the near by town of Shrewsbury

[Linked Image]

I believe the black and white building going back to the 1600's and is one of a number such buildings in the town..

Our current home, built in 1978 and also a money pit, though we're just about done remodeling it.
143 years or more. It was listed as 1930's when we bought it but one day a couple older ladies were walking down the sidewalk and asked if I'd like some old pictures of the house. They also gave me a copy of a deed of trust showing that it was first sold in 1871. Still own it, just don't live in it anymore.

Then:
[Linked Image]

Today:
[Linked Image]
I grew up in the first house my parents owned, an 1880's brick Victorian semi-mansion that was built by a rich Haitian artist in Bozeman, Montana of all places. She planned to have many family members live with her, so every room on the ground floor had a door to the outside. It's now on the National Register of Historic Places.

The house my wife and I own in now was built in 1910 in a small town several miles north of here that was flooded when a new reservoir filled. Our house (fairly sizeable for the time) was moved into the "big" town nearby (present population 2000), and in the process lost one of the upstairs rooms, but it got a relatively modern basement.
This one, 1970.

Gunner
my first house in New Orleans, built in 1879...during the yellow fever epidemic.
My house is pre 1914,but you would have to go in the attic to know. It has been remodeled several times.
Posted By: Royce Re: Oldest house you have owned? - 02/25/14
I dunno... Have to go look on the trailer hitch and see when it was made
Do you ever really own a house you have to pay our sh !t raking government to live in? Sounds like we're still renting to me.
Daughter has a Sears house built in 1912 and has the receipt for $1250 it cost. Kitchen has been updated and one bath added upstairs but other than that, original.
© 24hourcampfire