Home
Just got an email a few minutes ago from Midway stating that CCI Blazer .22 ammo is in stock...$20.99/brick...limit 1 per customer.

Great..!

Put 1 brick in my cart,...go to checkout....

Special handling fee of $3.00 because it's under $25..

Okay,..I guess,..I'm aware of their provision...

$19.62 Ground Shipping UPS

[Linked Image]
You weren't smart enough to spend another $4.01 to save the $3 surcharge?
Shipping is high there but I ordered some stuff the other day. I ordered late on a Tuesday afternoon, say 3:00 p.m.. I got an email at 6:30 saying my stuff had shipped. My stuff was waiting on me when I got home from work on Thursday. That is excellent and typical of Midway.

Yeah, it's high. I never order just one thing from them. I wait and order four or five things I have been putting off so that shipping is more reasonable.
Part of that shipping fee is the Hazmat fees required for ammo
Funny,..I ordered the same thing from Cabelas not more than 2 weeks ago,..1 brick of Blazer and shipping was $5 UPS from a Lot further away...
Ammo = UPS Ground.

Funny, just ordered from them 30 mins ago. They have some killer deals on there right now.
I dunno. Ive never ordered from Midway
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Just got an email a few minutes ago from Midway stating that CCI Blazer .22 ammo is in stock...$20.99/brick...limit 1 per customer.

Great..!

Put 1 brick in my cart,...go to checkout....

Special handling fee of $3.00 because it's under $25..

Okay,..I guess,..I'm aware of their provision...

$19.62 Ground Shipping UPS

[Linked Image]

That's all right, I just bought yours.
They really don't want small orders.
Originally Posted by BarryC

Too bad,..small orders is what built the place.

I can remember back in HS, getting their 4-6 page Black & White fliers in the mail. They didn't have any problem taking a $20 order back then.

Bought my first bit of reloading gear from them after saving my $ from working in a Lumber yard one summer..saved just enough to buy an RCBS kit and wood to make the bench.

My how things have changed.
The shipping is why I have never bought anything from Midway - they are not competitive.
Be glad you can order ammo online, no can do here in communist NY
Originally Posted by gitem_12

There's no hazmat fee on loaded ammo, just powder and primers, and maybe primed brass, but not sure on the primed brass.

Originally Posted by BarryC

Too bad,..small orders is what built the place.

I can remember back in HS, getting 4-6 page Black & White fliers in the mail. They didn't have any problem taking a $20 order back then.

And,,, your order is small because he is making it that way because he is limiting you to what you can buy. How many bricks would you have ordered if there was no limit?

I don't deal with them, I've always had excellent service from Midsouth Shooters Supply, since 1980.
Shipping rates like that are the reason I dont order from them or anyone really that wants to charge that kind of shipping. The only time I would pay shipping like that is if I really needed what I was ordering and no else offered the product. I'd still be pissed to spend that much on shipping for something small like a brick of 22lr.
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

You poor suckers in NY....didn't realize that..
IMO both Midway and Brownells have gone downhill. Midway because of their shipping. They used to be really great on shipping but stuck it to customers when oil prices went through the roof; but never came back down when oil prices went down.

Brownells seems to be more a shooters accessory supplier, and less and less gunsmithing supply. But I have found Brownell's sipping to only be slightly high and sometimes downright reasonable. Still, most anything I buy I will try to source from somewhere else before going to Brownells.

In January, Midway shipped 1,000 rounds of 9mm to my house.

Products Shipped Today Total:$249.99
Postage, Handling & Insurance: $18.89

A little less than 20 bucks to send a DAMN heavy box to my door from God knows where. It seemed reasonable.
I ship UPS all the time and it is rare that any size package going anywhere in the lower 48 doesn't shoot the schit out of a 20 dollar bill.

Travis
Midway could just as easy ship USPS Flat rate boxes. The boxes are free. The USPS will even deliver them and you can print out the postage on the computer, pay via Visa. Small box is $5.86, medium is about $13, insurance up to $50 is free and you get free tracking

These companies call it shipping/handling, but really it is just extra profit.

I have never bought from Midway and don't plan to. I also don't buy from companies that charge shipping based on the dollar amount of the merchandise.
For small orders that will fit in an envelope. Brownells has special rate
I appreciate and support Midway for a different reason. The money that he has given youth shooting sports through various conservation organizations is astounding. Millions of dollars has been poured into youth shooting.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Midway could just as easy ship USPS Flat rate boxes. The boxes are free. The USPS will even deliver them and you can print out the postage on the computer, pay via Visa. Small box is $5.86, medium is about $13, insurance up to $50 is free and you get free tracking

I have never bought from Midway and don't plan to. I also don't buy from companies that charge shipping based on the dollar amount of the merchandise.

I don't see how shipping a brick of 22LR via UPS, for $20.00, could include any sort of profit.

Travis
...These companies call it shipping/handling, but really it is just extra profit...

"Ripping (off) and Handling"

Ammo can't be shipped USPS.
I haven't ordered from Midway for years because their shipping has always been high compared to other places that will ship you the same product.

There is not hazmat fee on ammo just primers and powder.
At least you don't get to pay sales tax on your Midway orders like I do....
Ammo can't be shipped USPS.

Don't stop a good rant by injecting real facts
People don't like hearing the truth
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

There is not hazmat fee on ammo just primers and powder.

This !
So where do you folks, who don't use Midway, order from..?

From now on, unless I can help it, it's

Grafs, [color:#3333FF][b]Midsouth[/b][/color], and [b][color:#3333FF]Natchez[/color][/b]

What other places do I need to know about..?
Local gun shops get my support. Might pay a bit more and you can tell who the honest ones are....
What I can't get at LGS I usually buy online and don't complain about the shipping because it costs me a lot less than it does to drive my truck and back to wherever I have to go to get stuff, not to mention shooting a half-day or a day in the azz to do so.
You are luckily you can order ammo and have it shipped to your door, Since last October 2013 is illegal to buy ammo on line and you have to have an ammo permit (35 dollars good for five years) to buy. I am making plans to leave the State for good. With some luck and good fortune I should be able to by the end of March.

Grafs, [color:#3333FF][b]Midsouth[/b][/color], and [b][color:#3333FF]Natchez[/color][/b]

I buy locally as often as possible but otherwise I use Graf.

Travis
I live just a little over an hours drive from Midway. When I buy ammo I usually get it all shipped in from Trop. Costs less, ships for less and there is no state sales tax. Midway has great variety of all items and excellent service and project videos, but very seldom any price savings.
I plead my case with Midway ripping me off on a shipping deal. They stood firm on overcharging me and didn't even offer an apology.

I hated them when I had my FFL in 1990 and I still do. Potterfield surely claims to be upright with his customers.

I used Grafs mostly, for powder, primers, etc... I haven't bought ammo in years..., but to be honest I have a situation now where I don't need to buy components so I have not in the last 3 or 4 years so my input isn't all that up to date.

Do a search for coupons and rebates. I just ordered some ammo and with the coupon it amounted to free shipping.
I just did a similar product thru Natchez website and the shipping was about the same.

Wideners, Powder Valley & Ammoman
Not that their shipping is any different.

I like Wideners customer service. They have always treated me great. Years ago When you could get stuff. I ordered an 8# jug of Bullsey and an #8 jug of Unique with some other powders and Wideners screwed up and set me 2 8# jugs of bullsey. I called them to let them know so they could keep their books straight for the ATF. They asked me if I wanted the 8# jug of Unique and I told them Not at this time . I would put in another order at a later date. About 2 or 3 weeks after the call I received my 8# jug of Unique at no charge.
Just for that Wideners is the first place I look up when I order things.

Don't think they charge Hazmat on ammo. Components, yes.
Originally Posted by Berettaman
I appreciate and support Midway for a different reason. The money that he has given youth shooting sports through various conservation organizations is astounding. Millions of dollars has been poured into youth shooting.

Don't bet the farm on that B'man..

Gene Sears Supply and Huntingtons out in Cali.

Gunner
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
IMO both Midway and Brownells have gone downhill. Midway because of their shipping. They used to be really great on shipping but stuck it to customers when oil prices went through the roof; but never came back down when oil prices went down.

Brownells seems to be more a shooters accessory supplier, and less and less gunsmithing supply. But I have found Brownell's sipping to only be slightly high and sometimes downright reasonable. Still, most anything I buy I will try to source from somewhere else before going to Brownells.

Brownells usually has the gun parts/accessories I need in stock.
And I"ve yet to get a rip off on shipping, generally its the cheapest route they can take.

How can NY do that, when is was ruled unconsttutional when CA tried to make it illegal?
Originally Posted by Barkoff

How can NY do that, when is was ruled unconsttutional when CA tried to make it illegal?

It's New York, they don't need no stinkin' constitution. frown
Blazers suck in my guns. I would pay $43.61 for the discontinued .22 winchester power points though with a smile on my face.
I started using Midway for a lot of my reloading back when they had free shipping and had good prices also. Stopped when they started charging for shipping.

For 17 round magazines and AR stuff I buy from the crack dealers down town
I'm not sure about not shipping ammo USPS. But, UPS must make things very easy or volume businesses. I order, or used to order from MSC for machining supplies. They got into a minimum of about 10 bucks for shipping, even if you ordered a small pack of screws. All goes UPS.

McMaster-Carr does whatever is the cheapest.

Maybe Midway is the same way, locked Ito whatever UPS tells them.

Oops,,,, looks like that was already covered.

Carry on.
Much stuff is delivered regionally by UPS then sorted and delivered locally by USPS.
Dang, try and ship that sh%*%t to Alaska!!

We get raped by Midway on shipping up here.
Originally Posted by Wook
Dang, try and ship that sh%*%t to Alaska!!

We get raped by Midway on shipping up here.

Where a flat rate would work fine on non ammo type stuff.
It takes a damned crook to stiff someone that bad on shipping, a greedy damned crook... Smilin Larry.

There is NO HAZMAT fee on ammo
Originally Posted by cal74

There is NO HAZMAT fee on ammo

Yup, I think this is correct. My cousin over in Kiev just ordered some ammo from Midway, I'll tweet the question to him and see.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Oops,,,, looks like that was already covered.

Carry on.

I didnt know this. I Don't order ammo online so...
Fedex ships ammo as well. I just got a shipment from Natchez two weeks ago that had two boxes of ammo and a bunch of other stuff in it and shipping was only $15.63 and Natchez is not the cheapest at shipping.

Midsouth and Grafs are usually cheaper with shipping.
I get my ammo from the ammo man. He isn't cheap but he has at least 10,000-20,000 rounds at a time when I order and he delivers it...

there's no haz mat on ammo
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

That's funny.
[quote

Ammo can't be shipped USPS. [/quote]

It Cant OH [bleep], oh well didnt get caught yet
I don't care for Midway's shipping prices or their website.

Brownells's J&G Sales, Duckworks.
Originally Posted by deflave
I ship UPS all the time and it is rare that any size package going anywhere in the lower 48 doesn't shoot the schit out of a 20 dollar bill.
Travis

This is my experience as well.

I shipped a small aluminum camera rig base to Spokane (25 miles away) and it was 20 bucks. The package was the size of a RCBS die package. I shipped the full gimbal assy. to Florida which is the size of a portable bbq and it was 20 bucks.... go figure...
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by Berettaman

Don't bet the farm on that B'man..

I'd bet the farm that Potterfields are supporting youth shooting. They've donated THOUSANDS to my kids youth rifle team in the last two years.

http://www.midwayusafoundation.org/
I used to order a lot from midway reloading stuff and rifle scopes. Then, they changed their website and made it much more difficult to wade through their products. So now I mostly use Natchezz.

I had written midways customer service and they were nice but basically said that's the way their website is and they weren't going to change it. So midway went from the first place I looked online to the last place I look.

I still watch Larry's YouTube videos though - they are neat.
I don't really have anything against Potterfield's Midway.

But I think he really [bleep] up the old Fajen gunstock company. Before he took over, it was a good service company to everyone. You are your stock smith could send them a blank and they would machine and inlet per your choices. Then they changed to saying you had to buy your wood only from them.
Just got my two cases of shotshells via UPS today ordered Sunday night I think. Hard to have a problem with that sort of service.
Absolutely I would bet the farm on that. I know that it is true. Thousands to my local high schools trap team, thousands in equipment to our local PF chapter. Also, a few weeks ago, he presented Pheasants Forever with a check for $950,000 to fund youth shooting sports in 2014. He has given millions to PF already and I know that NWTF and RMEF have also been major beneficiaries. look up that link the the midwayusafoundation if you have any doubts.

and a person is not a crook if he charges prices higher than one wants to pay. just think of all the companies out there that charge high prices. Cadillac, Starbucks, airlines, sporting event or concert ticket prices, sitka to just name a few.
Originally Posted by siskiyous6

Brownells's J&G Sales, Duckworks.

3rd Generation as well.
I've had no problem with Midway but I do shop around a bit.
Most places gouge on shipping. Just ordered scope rings, they charged me $15. I decided I didn't like them so sent them back. UPS Store charged me $10.40.

USPS small flat rate not an option?
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
I used to order a lot from midway reloading stuff and rifle scopes. Then, they changed their website and made it much more difficult to wade through their products. So now I mostly use Natchezz.

I am sorry but that is funny... Natchez has THE WORST WEB SITE EVER!!! Plus I've called a couple of times and talked to the most worthless waste of a paycheck ever. The guy literally huffed and puffed until I told him I was sorry for bothering him and that I'd call Midway and hung up.

I like MidwayUSA though shipping is killer. Graf & Sons is awesome and I often put together duplicate orders on each site to see how they compare. More and more it's Graf.

If I recall correctly it was Larry who started up the NRA Round-Up program.

Also, again I may be wrong, but I don't think he screwed up Fajen. He just bought their remaining stock & name after they went out of business.
Natchez has THE WORST WEB SITE EVER!!!

Got to agree 100%.
Natchez is the king of something being out of stock.
Originally Posted by tommyd53
Natchez has THE WORST WEB SITE EVER!!!

Got to agree 100%.

Yeah, but every once in a while with Natchez, you stumble upon something that everybody else has missed and catch a "unicorn" in stock or on sale...
Natchez will have a new website very soon that will be greatly improved over the current one. They are aware of the shortcomings of the website and have been working on a new one for quite a some time.
Sometimes quite some time turns into a long time.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Sometimes quite some time turns into a long time.

True enough, but trust me, it is coming. grin
Not ammo, however LL Bean somehow manages to have free shipping and no handling fee.

Originally Posted by battue
Not ammo, however LL Bean somehow manages to have free shipping and no handling fee.

They do that by including shipping costs into their item pricing. Shipping is never really "free." Someone pays those costs. Shipping is "included."

No it is not some make money on it some don't here is Grafs price for some ammo.
[Linked Image]

Here is Midways for the same ammo, they just charge more for shipping.

[Linked Image]
My post referred to so-called free shipping, not differences in shipping costs.
Again not true, many places with the same prices will offer free shipping if your order is over a certain amount, the prices are the same, but the free shipping is what gets people in the door. Free shipping is a marketing tool... I just bought a pasta roller/cutter attachment for my wife that is the cheapest price i could find on the net, and it is free shipping.

Here it is I dare you to find it cheaper with shipping included.
[Linked Image]

Bottom line, as far as midway goes, I'll not pay more for the same product.
ok
as a fellow New Yorker let's send the dirt bags a message come Election Day !!!
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Originally Posted by battue

They do that by including shipping costs into their item pricing. Shipping is never really "free." Someone pays those costs. Shipping is "included."

I agree. Except when the the same or comparatively equivalent product is priced the same or lower, then you have a saving when the shipping is free.
9 pages of talk here that all boil down to whether or not people can do math.
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

Its obvious.
He wasn't smart enough to let back 6-7k rounds of 22 when they could be had for 20 bucks a brick.
© 24hourcampfire