Home
My wife is going to FL., March 13 to see her girlfriend. My wife is full blown diabetic and will be taking insulin/needles with her. What's the protocal for carrying it on board with her? Will she have to pack it in here checked luggage? She will be flying Southwest air, and is leaving out of Indianapolis. I told her to call SW air and ask, but guess I'm more worried about TSA. Any insight appreciated.

maddog
Go to the source of the problem. TSA has a hotline especially to answer questions like this. 1-855-787-2227 TSA HOTLINE
Both my daughter and I fly with medications/syringes regularly, including internationally. We have learned to carry a letter from our Doctor who has prescribed the medication and/or a copy of the prescription print out in her name from her drugstore. She should declare it to the TSA as soon as she arrives at the check point. We always let the airline know we are traveling with medications/syringes. She should place it in her carry on luggage. She should take extra, in case of a mishap.
Thanks, I told my wife.

maddog
I have a small carry on with my insulin, syringes & blood sugar monitor in it. I put it on the conveyor belt to be x-rayed by TSA. They've never said or done anything. I put a small freezer ice pack in it to keep it cool.
She can carry as much insulin and as many needles as she needs with no prob. Tell her to have her Doc write a scrip for the solustar pens and needles. VERY good to use.
I always put all of my meds and my monitor in my carry on. Usually carry enough needles for three or four days in case the airline doesn't get my baggage there. Sometimes I'm gone for several weeks and carry lots of meds and insulin. Never had a problem with TSA or any airports outside of USA.
No TSA requirement to have copies of prescriptions or letters from doctors.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/passengers-diabetes
No Problem, I do it all the time. Carry what you need for the day on board with you and the rest in your luggage. A dozen bottles of Lantus and 200 syringes with get you a total inspection of carry on and checked luggage.
Originally Posted by Plinker

It was actually reccommneded to me by a TSA worker here at the Montreal Airport for entry to the USA, and I and my daughter have done such ever since. We also do it for domestic and international travel. Better safe than sorry as the TSA worker told me. But hey, what do I know....
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Originally Posted by Plinker

It was actually reccommneded to me by a TSA worker here at the Montreal Airport for entry to the USA, and I and my daughter have done such ever since. We also do it for domestic and international travel. Better safe than sorry as the TSA worker told me. But hey, what do I know....

Lynn's right. You're dealing with people that would be flipping burgers if they weren't riffling through your suitcase trying to steal stuff. It might not be a requirement, but if they get it in their head that day that it is a requirement they can keep you from making your flight and cause you all kinds of headaches.
I carry insulin and a syringe on my person as well as glucose monitor, etc. Take it off to send it through the xray. I'll carry extra in checked baggage. Until 2 years ago I was in the air a couple of times a month and never heard a word about it.
Good info to know as they just switched me out to Type I when I was in for my heart issues.
© 24hourcampfire