Home
Posted By: RDW Anybody seen a 700 SPS 260 yet? - 03/08/14
Product number may be 84149 but nothing is listed on Remington's site.
Anyone?
I hadn't heard of that model until you posted. I hope Remington follows through now that they've apparently reached the same conclusion that I did several years ago - the .260 should be offered with a 1:8" twist barrel in an entry-level model.
Is it going to be offered in SS?
they should have done this in 97
I was wondering if anybody anywhere is chambering the 260 in a factory rifle anymore. I love the 260.
I believe it will be the cro-moly SPS, sure as I buy one, they will offer it in stainless.
If so, I'll buy one of each.

Kaiser Norton
Buy two, rechamber one to 260AI and load 130VLD Berger hunting loads. Use the standard 260 to load 120BT. Love 'em. MTG
If these ever make it to market I won't be surprised if Remington puts a 1 -12 twist barrel on it because the marketing department thinks slow twists rule.
1-8 twist!
Originally Posted by RDW

Grice Wholesale is taking orders for them I think it is June delivery date but not 100% sure. SPS cm seems to be in 24" barrel
Buy two, use one as a 260 and set the barrel back and rechamber the other to 6.5 Creedmoor.

The only place that I've seen a Remington 700 in 260 listed is Glen Zanders Wholesale. They show a 700 VTR with a 22" barrel, "flat dark earth" finish, for $660.49 wholesale. The Remington part # is 84375.

Remington shows it has having a 1-10" ROT, but Zanders has it as a 1-12" ROT.

Jeff
i am ready to buy one if its 1-8 twist, rechamber to ai, install a bansners sheephunter stock, watch out deer and antelope
I have a 700 in 260 with a Bansnar/HTS stock. OK, but not my favorite.

Jeff
Jeff, if the SPS 260 shoots as good as my 243 and 223 it would be a good deal to me.

You know it's entirely possible with Remington's propensity to discontinue *good* rifles after a year or two, they became even more efficient and killed the SPS 260 immediately after the Shot Show.
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Boddington wrote up the VTR version in guns and ammo. He tried to put on a good 'marketing' face but accuracy seemed pretty poor to me for a heavy barreled VTR. Average 5-shot groups:

I would pass.
Forgot to mention...1 in 8 twist, 7.62 pounds, $930 MSRP.
gotta be a problem child I suspect
Bump--anyone heard or seen of the infamous 8-twisted 260 yet???
I just looked on Buds website --they had some but sold out now.

Less than $600....
There were a few of them on GB a month or 2 ago, but none lately.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/.../products_id/90809/Remington+700+SPS+260

Still sold out as of today.
I bought a 260 Remington 700 for my neighbor's young son this past summer. It was stainless and had a laminated stock. It was used but like new. I mounted a scope on it and loaded some ammo for him. He called me from their hunting property and Seth said,"MR. Lambert I pulled the trigger and the deer fell straight down". He borrowed by Grandson's 30BR Mod 7 last year and did the same thing. Quite a shot for a 10yr. old.
I'd love to have a Model 7, stainless, in .260 Rem.
Originally Posted by RDW

It's there, third from the bottom on the SPS page. smile
Originally Posted by K1500
Boddington wrote up the VTR version in guns and ammo. He tried to put on a good 'marketing' face but accuracy seemed pretty poor to me for a heavy barreled VTR. Average 5-shot groups:

I would pass.

I bought a .260 Model 7 in 2001. I'd do a Snoopy dance if it shot that well with any bullet/powder/primer combination.

I've always attributed the crappy accuracy to the 1 in 9 twist. I've got an iron sighted Swede made in 1899 that will out shoot it with almost any combination I feed it.
I have dealt with 3 of the Rem 260s with 9 twist. The twist rate is not your accuracy problem, unless you are trying to run 160 grainers or something. Mine have all shot fine; one of them exceptionally.
© 24hourcampfire