Home
Posted By: tweeter taxidermy fix - 04/01/14
While moving some stuff around the living room, a 10 point I had mounted, feel and it's one brow tine broke. It is getting replaced by a new one soon, and moving to a less conspicuous location. The brow will go back on perfectly as there is no chipping. What kind of glue or epoxy should I use? I'm figuring just plain old super/crazy glue??? Any suggestions.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: taxidermy fix - 04/01/14
I would use five minute epoxy. It will ooze out a bit and you can wipe off the excess with a paper towel and acetone.
Posted By: tweeter Re: taxidermy fix - 04/01/14
I'd probably rather use an epoxy of some sort, Easier to work with, would feel more comfortable with the bond (porous antlers). My only concern would be color if any showed.
If you wipe it off it won't show other than maybe the shine along the crack. That can be dulled down with some fine steel wool.

If there are chips missing etc, then I would epoxy it back together, then use an epoxy putty to blend. Now you are talking a real repair though, complete with having to recolor.
Posted By: NathanL Re: taxidermy fix - 04/01/14
Hot glue till you can get a pro to fix it up.
Any Idea where I can get some. Lowes, Homedepot, napa etc?
Don't use hot glue.

Nah, hot glue is not on my list. Is this what I'm looking for?

loctite 5 min exp

Posted By: OIDabble Re: taxidermy fix - 04/01/14
Gorilla glue gel 10 seconds and done.
Tweeter: Yes, apply some to the bottom stump and let it soak into the pores and add more if necessary. Turn the broken piece upside down and do the same thing. Then stick them together and wipe off the excess. Hold it until it starts to kick.
Thanks!
Posted By: lngrng Re: taxidermy fix - 04/01/14
Five minute epoxy for sure, but I wouldn't wipe the excess off.........wait until it dries and then use a razor blade to trim it flush. As for spending five minutes holding it to dry, use some tape stretched tight.
This is the way we glue joints together in hardwood handrails.............we use strapping tape to pull the joints tight together..............we also drill the 2 ends with a 3/8" bit and use a section of 5/16" all-thread. Makes for a super-tight joint, and we have never had a joint fail. The epoxy really adheres to the threads. When doing a mitred joint, we pre-bend the all-thread to match the angle.
Trade secret provided by a 42 year cabinetmaker/finish carpenter!
© 24hourcampfire