Home
Posted By: jorgeI WOOFORD RESERVED, DOUBLE OAKED - 04/16/14
Any of you Bourbon drinkers have an opinion? Just picked up a bottle to try.
[Linked Image]
It's good. They take regular Woodford Reserve (which is good stuff) and make it even better.
The top half is good.

The bottom half will give you a headache.

I had a sample a couple of months ago during a distillery tour. It's better than the WR-regular.
It's very good, one of my favorites.
hummm i need to find their grain bill.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

???
Had some at a buddy's place last week. Good stuff. laugh
Originally Posted by tjm10025

???
recipe
It's alright, but not a thriller in my book. Especially at the price.
Originally Posted by mathman

it's always better with some shaved ice. smile
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Philistine. grin
so mathman, your opinion and mode to consume?

Oh. They talked about that a little on the tour. Sort of like, we could tell you but then we'd have to kill you.

IIRC, the Double Oaked is non-chill filtered and the WR is. (Could be wrong.) There was a definite buttery finish to the DO that wasn't evident in the WR.

One of the funniest parts of the tour was the 17-year-old cat that lives in the aging rooms. You walk in and the Angels' Share is all over you. No wonder the cat bunks there. He's half-drunk the whole time on fumes.

I had a sample a couple of months ago during a distillery tour. It's better than the WR-regular.

I'd hope so. I bought a bottle of the regular after hearing everyone here speak highly of it and it did nothing for me.
Originally Posted by Raeford

I'd hope so. I bought a bottle of the regular after hearing everyone here speak highly of it and it did nothing for me.

Well, keep in mind that I'm a scotch drinker, and most bourbons do nothing for me, anyway.

So it's better, but that only means it's better than something you weren't impressed with.
Here on base there is just a ten dollar difference in price between the two. 41/51 more or less
Originally Posted by jorgeI
so mathman, your opinion and mode to consume?

Good bourbon, but not a value. The additional "wooding" this spirit receives doesn't lift it above the regular Woodford for me. Certainly not at the price premium. I tend to reach for the regular one, even when there's no cost involved at my liquor salesman friend's home.

I drink most sipping whiskey neat, in a Glencairn glass.

[Linked Image]

If a whiskey is a bit hot on the palate for whatever reason, cut it slightly with still spring water. No ice cubes, chill rocks, or heavily chilled water.
Taste like someone put a cigarette butt out in a shot of evan williams.
Well IT IS Bourbon, and well I'm sure I'll try it sometime. Only because-IT IS Bourbon.
Go easy on it. Too much and your Coke goes flat.
http://www.whiskeyprof.com/theres-only-3-general-bourbon-recipes-yall/

making mine using red wheat instead of rye.

There�s Only 3 General Bourbon Mash Bill�s Y�all � THREE

People are always asking me what the exact recipes for bourbons. Some distillers keep their recipes a family secret; and why not? I mean it IS theirs. Some distilleries will tell ya, like Four Roses or Maker�s Mark. But when it comes down to it, does 1% more rye or corn there make a difference? Well of course it does to that distiller, but flavor wise, I say it really doesn�t. Now THAT�S a bold statement. Did you hear me? I�M SCREAMING IT!!!

Well of course it makes a differnce�but the recipe is just one of many pieces of the puzzle to making bourbon and rye whiskey. The recipe is crucial, but what yeast strain are you using? Are you using one at all or just using a dry yeast, are you using a jug yeast, a family jug yeast? Then what proof you bring it off the still? What�s the barrelling proof? Where you store it in the rack house and for how long? What�s the bottling strength and do you cold chill filter it? All are good questions�So that�s my argument. All bourbons fall in to 3 general bourbon recipes. A Traditional, a High Rye, and a Wheat. Then there are recipes for Straight Rye Whiskies.

Check out the article on this site about the �DISTILLERS RULE OF THUMB� and that will explain what recipes, yearst steains, etc. lend to the final outcome.

So here I�ve made it easy, and listed the Grains we use and what they contribute. The recipes and what you can expect from them. How the barrel and aging effects the bourbon, and then the bourbons that fall in to those 3 general recipes. I hope you find it helpful when finding your common denominator for your favorite bourbons. Enjoy!

Grains and what they contribute

This information was gathered by me from many sources; Whisky Magazine. Malt Advocate, and talking with several master distillers.

Corn � Is what gives Bourbon it�s signature flavor and is considered the �engine� that provides the highest yield of alcohol per bushel of all the grains. The flavor of corn is very prevalent fresh off the still in the White Dog. But over years of aging, corn becomes neutral, and lends mostly in the over all sweetness to the finished product.

Barley � Prized mainly for it�s enzymes for converting starches to sugar for the fermentation process so the yeast can feed on the sugars. Where corn is the �engine�, malted barley is considered the �work horse� that delivers these enzymes. Barley provides some flavor with the underlying malty and chocolate notes along with some dryness. Usually only around 5% � 14% of any grain bill, the use of barley is mainly for those enzymes, and gives it that biscuity texture.

Rye & Wheat � contribute most significantly to the flavor of mature bourbon. They are referred to as the �flavoring grains�. Any grains can be used like oats, or rice, but these two are only ones used, with Rye being the dominant flavoring grain with distillers.

Rye- brings a range of spice notes including pepper, nutmeg, clove, and cinnamon which are all intensified during the aging process. Think of eating a piece of rye bread. Rye gives bourbon that wonderful flavorful �bite� that it is known for.

Wheat � Wheat results in a sweeter tasting bourbon, but not because the grain is sweeter. Wheat is not as rich as rye so it allows more of the sweetness of the corn and vanilla to show through, compared to rye.

The Three Recipe�s or Mash Bill�s in bourbon

Traditional Bourbon Recipe (my term, not industry�s) � 70-80% corn �with the balance rye and some barley. Think of sweet and spicy, back of the tongue experience. Bourbon can be up to 100% corn, but corn becomes neutral during aging only keeping the sweetness, so a flavoring grain of rye is used, and of course the barley for converting those starches in to sugar, and that biscuity quality and hints of chocolate.

High Rye Bourbon Recipe � 18% + rye � dials back on the corn, keeping basically the same amount of barley as a Traditional Bourbon, but doubles up on the rye. Rye is a back of the tongue experience, and gives it that nice white pepper spice like a slice of rye bread. These bourbons will be less sweet and more spicey.

Wheat Bourbon Recipe � 70-80% corn � similar to Traditional, but replace the rye with wheat. Wheat allows the sweetness of the corn, and the sugars from the barrel to be more pronounced. Think �soft and sweet�, with a front of the tongue experience.

Barrels and Aging

The recipe is the soul of the bourbon, and the Barrel and aging provide varying flavors depending on how long it is aged for, and what type of warehouse, and the location of those barrels inside a rack house. Barrel aging is responsible from anywhere between 50% to up to 75% of the final flavor of a bourbon depending on where the barrel is stored and for how long.

There are six different types of vanillas you get from a barrel. And it takes a good six years to get bold vanillas out of a barrel. So younger bourbons will not have pronounced vanillas. Bourbons 6 years or more will have more pronounced vanillas.

Resulting barrel notes are: vanilla, maple, caramel, ginger, clove, toffee, cinnamon, fruits and toasted nuts.

High Rye Bourbon Recipes

Old Grand Dad Basil Hayden�s Four Roses Bulleit

Very Old Barton Kentucky Tavern 1792 Old Forester

Wheat Bourbon Recipes

W.L. Weller Maker�s Mark *Bernheim Wheat Whiskey is a

Old Fitzgerald Van Winkle straight wheat whiskey (at least

Rebel Yell Larceny 51% wheat) � it is not a wheat bourbon.

Traditional Bourbon Recipes � EVERYTHING ELSE including

Jim Beam Evan Williams Booker�s Wild Turkey

Knob Creek Eagle Rare J.T.S. Brown Woodford Reserve

Elijah Craig Buffalo Trace Old Crow Heaven Hill

I like it a lot!!!!!! Still sipping on a bottle I got to take to the ranch!
not a bourbon, but made using sweetfeed- corn, oats, barley and a touch of molasses. its been on medium charred oak chips for a month now and is better than any
thing I've bought. 100 proof and super smooth.
[Linked Image]

Not shaved...2 cubes please grin
Originally Posted by eh76

Proof that Philistines are like roaches. If you see one, there are more. grin
not a bourbon, but made using sweetfeed- corn, oats, barley and a touch of molasses. its been on medium charred oak chips for a month now and is better than any
[Linked Image]

I'll be at Doc's next week...I'll bring my mason jar grin

Proof that Philistines are like roaches. If you see one, there are more. grin

I just like razzin ya!
I know!
[Linked Image]

I'll be at Doc's next week...I'll bring my mason jar grin
I sent him some white dawg and apple pie, i'll get some of this sweetfeed whiskey on the way, didn't send any because i hadn't tried it till last night, didn't know if it was ready, of course it will only get better with age.
Thanks mathman. I use the same glass too, but as you know I'm not into bourbons or at least not yet smile And I also see you recommend neat and no ice. I must confess to you that with some blended whiskys, I do enjoy an ocassional highball!
i'm going to be in NM next week for at least 6-8 days, maybe if time permits i can meet y'all if your still there when i'm finished with the 4 wells we'll be on.

Thats what I am talking about, I think everyone should share their grain bill / recipe ;-)
Thanks mathman. I use the same glass too, but as you know I'm not into bourbons or at least not yet smile And I also see you recommend neat and no ice. I must confess to you that with some blended whiskys, I do enjoy an ocassional highball!

My comments were about sipping whiskey.

When I want a casual, cool drink, I do enjoy a scotch & soda on the rocks. A good, basic blended whiskey is fine for this. Famous Grouse for example. What I rail against is using something special like 18 year old Highland Park to make a watered, rocks drink.
that's only a part of it, how its aged plays a big part. but it gives you something to start with.

My comments were about sipping whiskey.

When I want a casual, cool drink, I do enjoy a scotch & soda on the rocks. A good, basic blended whiskey is fine for this. Famous Grouse for example. What I rail against is using something special like 18 year old Highland Park to make a watered, rocks drink.

With you 100%. Base Exchange has Johnny Walker Black on sale for 23 bucks and that is my standard for a whisky-soda. BTW, Johnnie Walker Green (15) is my favorite. One of the blends is Talisker which is my favorite single malt.
[Linked Image]

Dude you and me need to talk, sounds like we got the same hobby
My salesman friend had some Chivas Century:

[Linked Image]

It was a limited release vatting of a hundred single malts.

He was out of town when some of his now ex-wife's hayseed relatives came to visit. They drank his stash mixed with Dr. Pepper and the like.

You'd be right if you think he wasn't pleased.
but made using sweetfeed-
[Linked Image]

Betcha most of the likker snobs here haven't a clue what sweetfeed is and if ya told 'em they'd have an aneurysm.

Pour some good cheap bar whiskey into a fancy bottle and right away they be goin' off about nose, nutty, delightful, malty and oaky etc.

Denny
grin
A lot corn in sweetfeed, and as I recall from my youth, a bit of molasses. Should give a light rum flavor that should be tasty!
My bag is equal parts corn, oak, barley and touch of molasses.

Darn fancy grain bill, I'm telling ya. Properly run, aired and aged about a week (white) can't be beat.

Denny.
Originally Posted by Gibby
The top half is good.

The bottom half will give you a headache.

TFF grin

The wife and I stopped by on our way south last week on a lark. We were 10 minutes late. frown Beautiful country though.

I enjoy WR with a light splash of tepid H2O. Double O is on the shopping list for the next run.
I'm with mathman on the WR Double Oak. Too tannic and astringent for my taste. I thought the wood overpowered the other flavors. Much prefer the regular WR but different tastes is why they make lots of different whiskey. One of the few top shelf bourbons I really didn't like (the other being Angel's Envy).

Re: Sweet feed shine. I know what it is and liked it. Aged 5 months in a first-fill 5 liter medium char barrel.
Put me in the "it's good but not worth the premium" camp.

I enjoyed in better the second time I had it, I'd like to try it again. Lot of oak.
[quote=284LUVR]My bag is equal parts corn, oak, barley and touch of molasses.

Darn fancy grain bill, I'm telling ya. Properly run, aired and aged about a week (white) can't be beat.

Denny. [/quote

Sign me up! Sounds real tasty. Don't forget to run some Calvados!
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
but made using sweetfeed-
[Linked Image]

Betcha most of the likker snobs here haven't a clue what sweetfeed is and if ya told 'em they'd have an aneurysm.

Pour some good cheap bar whiskey into a fancy bottle and right away they be goin' off about nose, nutty, delightful, malty and oaky etc.

Denny

Dumped many a bag at black bear bait stations... they like it before it gets distilled and a little fermentation does not bother them. It does not clump up like donuts and stuff so the bear has to hang in right at the feed to eat rather than grabbing a huge clod and disappearing into the brush..

They call it "COB with" here...
Got home a little while ago and tried it, neat. Very smooth and even. I like it!
Originally Posted by cooper57m
I'm with mathman on the WW Double Oak. Too tannic and astringent for my taste. I thought the wood overpowered the other flavors. Much prefer the regular WW but different tastes is why they make lots of different whiskey. One of the few top shelf bourbons I really didn't like (the other being Angel's Envy).

I like it with some Diet 7*Up and ice. Tastes great to me.
god...
laffin'

That's what Ten High or Early Times are for. grin

What about Canadian Mist? Anything in a 1.75 ltr plastic jug for under $20 will do.
I've only had the regular and above somebody said it was better than the regular WR. It would have to be.
how do you guys drink that stuff without getting a vicious hangover? brown liquor rips me a new one so i gave it up. i must be allergic or something. i tried and tried but just can't do it. so its beer for me. mostly homebrew too.
My best buddies wife started on WR some years back. Got us to try it. Not bad at all.

Will have to buy her a bottle of the double aged one next Christmas or sooner so we can all have a sip.

Thanks, Jeff
Originally Posted by rem141r
how do you guys drink that stuff without getting a vicious hangover? brown liquor rips me a new one so i gave it up. i must be allergic or something. i tried and tried but just can't do it. so its beer for me. mostly homebrew too.
if you make it yourself and know how to make your cuts there will be no hangover.
Originally Posted by cooper57m

What about Canadian Mist? Anything in a 1.75 ltr plastic jug for under $20 will do.

Seems I remember a big bottle of McNaughtons a long time ago that we may have shared... You moving up? wink
© 24hourcampfire