Home
Posted By: Lonny Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
I'm not much of a TV watcher of weekly shows and pretty much hate all the reality stuff, but I caught a couple episodes of LBZ on the Nat Geo channel and found it to be pretty interesting. The new season starts tonight.

There didn't seem to be all the fake drama of the other shows that make most of the supposed outdoor characters look like inbred idiots.

Most of the episodes appeared just to be everyday life for the people they follow living in rural AK. Some characters were interesting to follow than others and it was kinda fun to see if anything was in the traps or if they would shoot any 'bou that day.

Anybody else watch the show?
Posted By: valad Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
I watch it occasionally but oftentimes its reruns. I find Sue Aikens a bunch of do-do as she *acts like she knows it all and how you are supposed to run. She just hunts out the front door of her home.

This other guy...likes by himself and is pretty youngish is probably the only segment I like and the guy named Andy and his wife where they work to keep things going. Oh yeah this guy shot (or trapped) a Lynx and as he was skinning he said he was going to eat the meat?? I did not think you would eat predators but he said this is the only predator you can eat?

Normally I flip challens to find what is on and if I come across Live Below Zero I will watch some of it.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
Yeah ol' Sue sure seemed like the bullchitter of the bunch.

The young guy and the couple where the white guy is married to a native are the most interesting to watch for me. Wow, that native gal needs somebody to get her a decent rifle and scope would be nice too.

Posted By: rattler Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by valad
I watch it occasionally but oftentimes its reruns. I find Sue Aikens a bunch of do-do as she *acts like she knows it all and how you are supposed to run. She just hunts out the front door of her home.

This other guy...likes by himself and is pretty youngish is probably the only segment I like and the guy named Andy and his wife where they work to keep things going. Oh yeah this guy shot (or trapped) a Lynx and as he was skinning he said he was going to eat the meat?? I did not think you would eat predators but he said this is the only predator you can eat?

Normally I flip challens to find what is on and if I come across Live Below Zero I will watch some of it.

know a few guys that say they prefer mountain lion to deer......real mild meat.....would guess lynx and bobcat are similar.....would cook to well done though.....
Posted By: milespatton Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
Wow, that native gal needs somebody to get her a decent rifle and scope would be nice too.

And somebody needs to tell her that there is no shame in using a rest. Machine, Husband, rock, bipod, anything. miles
Posted By: Bocefish Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
Methinks Sue was probably rather (h)ornery to begin with, but years of cabin fever has likely taken it's toll. For somebody who likes to yap as much as she does, her odds of eating a bullet when the camera crews leave forever are better than 70/30 in my humble opinion.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
How about that one native gal and her husband. He spots, she shoots with an old hex Mosin. I'm not a regular viewer but I saw her take a wolf at decent range and a couple caribou.
Posted By: StripBuckHunter Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
This is most definitely a T & A show.

That Sue..............woooooow...........I just wanna munch her rug right now.............
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
The BS that flows out of Sue's mouth, especially about predators is unbelievable. I can't believe they air it.

The couple with the native wife are the real deal. I agree, somebody needs to buy her a better rifle and a good scope. They'd keep more meat.

The couple that lives in the cabin are out in the boonies, but their not so far out that he doesn't have heavy equipment and a truck, so at least their's a road. I'm thinking he has neighbors, too.

The young guy is living quite the life off the grid. Hunting, trapping.

Posted By: Tarkio Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
My wife gets frustrated with me when this show is on because I get pretty grumbly when Sue is on. Gotten to the point where I try to mute her segment. I like the 2 individual guys and the Hailstones (Chip and his native wife). Chip is a regular poster on thehighroad. He is a big Mosin fan, hence their choice of rifles.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
I thought this posting was gonna be about Reggie Love. wink
Posted By: 79S Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
Ol strangers wife has killed some some nice animals with that ol Nagant. Couple yrs back she killed a monster brn bear with it, from the way stranger put it she has killed several like. If I remember right the skull measured 28 plus inches. The young guy hell he lives about 20 miles from Coldfoot so I wouldn't say he is living off the grid. Sue she has gotten to bushy as they call it in AK what does that mean well you lived to long out in the bush.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
Just watched a segment where the young guy who lives alone went blacktail hunting. If I caught it correctly, he was flown into the area by Taj Shoemaker.
Posted By: fish head Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
It's just like every other "reality" Alaska show on TV.

It's filled with drama and BS.

I do like the scenery though. smile
Posted By: fish head Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
I forgot to ask ...

Who would like to bang Sue in her quonset hut for a winter? grin
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by fish head
I forgot to ask ...

Who would like to bang Sue in her quonset hut for a winter? grin

Oh! Oh! Oh!

NOT ME !!!!
Posted By: valad Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
This guy, would bang Sue.

Agree...this is a reality show so its set up so that it draws a crowd and up their rating. Nothing more. Matter of fact in real life Sue would be a miserable SOB! She is happy to earn a few bucks from this show.

Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter
This is most definitely a T & A show.

That Sue..............woooooow...........I just wanna munch her rug right now.............
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
I can only comment on the Hailstones having read his stuff on Alaskaoutdoorsdirectory for several year. They are the real deal, with the pics to prove it. I have a lot of respect for them and their way of life. Pretty sure the producers want to add stuff thats not there, but hey its TV. I think most of you guys would enjoy his posts, I certainly do.
Posted By: tbear Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
Like the show. Most of us Easterners know little about the Alaska bush & as a hunter & fisherman find the show interesting. As others have posted Sue is all hype & needs to go. I can't imagine living alone anywhere much less the Alaskan bush.
Posted By: tpcollins Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by Lonny
Yeah ol' Sue sure seemed like the bullchitter of the bunch.

She's my least favorite character - probably voted for obammy.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
If fake drama's definition in Webster's isn't Sue, then I'll.....
Posted By: Raeford Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
I look at the "Sue" segment's as the comedy portion of the show.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
I absolutely love the show, the only thing that could make it better is to have an episode with StripBuckHunter munchin' ole Sue's rug
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
Of all the shows about Alaska, this one is probably my favorite. Chip and his wife are the real deal and what you see them do on tv is how they live their life.

Sue can be a hoot sometime but she talks to much for my liking.

The guy that lives near Coldfoot is living the life, hunting and trapping during the winter and guiding hunters in the spring and fall.

The couple living on the Yukon, well, they are a different breed to be sure and how his wife puts up with his bs is beyond me.

Posted By: 5sdad Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
... The couple living on the Yukon, well, they are a different breed to be sure and how his wife puts up with his bs is beyond me.

He sort of provides perspective - many of us could not exist in his world and I don't think that he could exist in ours.

As to the show in general, I wish that they would provide more information about their firearms when they are featured.
Posted By: Duckdog Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
The show can be entertaining, (which IS the goal), but that's about it.
The Family Guy is probably a more accurate reality show... wink

Anyone know why Chip Hailstone never handles a firearm?
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
Chip does handle firearms, he just doesn't do it on film. Go visit the Alaska Outdoor Directory and read some of his stories, he's a fascinating indivdual.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
I like it a heck of a lot more than honey boo and some off that other reality crap they have on. Like most I think that Sue is a bit much. My favorite is the young guy. While he may not be what some consider totally off grid he does live in the bush making his living in the outdoors guiding trapping hunting. Im more interested in in watching their different lifestyles than worrying about just how off grid they are. My guess is anyone who is totally off grid probably ain't interested in sharing company with a tv production crew. I pickup what I can and laugh at the BS parts. Just TV.
Posted By: northwestalaska Re: Life Below Zero... - 04/18/14
Alaska is the darling for so many Reality TV Shows right now and many stink. Live Below o is the exception. Chip Hailstone and his crew live about a 2 hour Sno-go ride or 3.5 hours by boat east of Kotz. I have spent a lot of time out in Noorvik running Drug/Alcohol/Tobacco Free Softball tournaments over the years and they are good folks. Hell Noorvik is a great village with lots of game to be had.

I hope the show stays true to form and lives a long life!
© 24hourcampfire