Home
Posted By: Mannlicher Plate Trackers - 04/18/14
seems like every one is into looking at your license plate these days. Speeding and red light cameras, plate photo ID on the turnpike, and now plate tracking by the feds.
Any way to block this?
Youtube and Google offer some possible solutions. I hear that Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic spray paint works best.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14
The companies that make these products just started to market their products to the repossession company's.

Make you car payments boyz.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14
ride a bike?
Local Commie government here started a toll on 2 well-traveled tunnels between Norfolk and points west. No stopping... If you don't get the electronic gizmo it costs about triple when they use the license plate "find-me" route. Now they know to the second when and if I went to work that day and when I left.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14
Time to start wrapping tin foil around your license plates?
I got a $2 ticket in the mail from Texas years ago. Turns out, it was one of those license plate readers that read my rental car. Took about 6 months to find me. That's what my home state of Texas had turned into, Yankees and toll roads! wink
Posted By: Raeford Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14
"Google" they'll be next with the technology. mad
Posted By: Redneck Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14
Serious question: do these systems read the front plate, or rear? Some states allow plates only on the rear while others mandate both front/rear.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14
Some dipshit drove through a fence last Winter. This thread reminded me that I still have their license plate laying the in the back seat of my pickup.

Who wants to run it for me?
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by Redneck
Serious question: do these systems read the front plate, or rear? Some states allow plates only on the rear while others mandate both front/rear.

You ought to go through a Border Patrol checkpoint now...

Not only do they have like 12 cameras (facing front and back of the car) and face recognition devices set up, but they check the radiation levels of your vehicle, (you), and have x-ray trucks that can see right through the steel in your car to find whatever they are looking for.

It ain't the good old boy with his drug sniffing dog anymore.
Posted By: BarryC Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14
I understand lexan covers work.
I hate it when those dogs sit down..
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Some dipshit drove through a fence last Winter. This thread reminded me that I still have their license plate laying the in the back seat of my pickup.

Who wants to run it for me?

Just send it back to me and quit fugging around!
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14
laughing

You must have lost yours in a different spot. This was off a damn Ford!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14

Florida does not have plates front and rear, just the rear ones.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Not only do they have like 12 cameras (facing front and back of the car) and face recognition devices set up, but they check the radiation levels of your vehicle, (you), and have x-ray trucks that can see right through the steel in your car to find whatever they are looking for.

of course, that stuff is just for the 'mericans. They don't seem to care about the illegal macecans.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

of course, that stuff is just for the 'mericans. They don't seem to care about the illegal macecans.

I like it when the agents ask me where I've been and where I'm going... laugh

I can get pretty inventive with the replies. wink
Posted By: Martinstucky Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14
If plate has a bar code on it, run a good heavy magnet over it, one small step for screwing with info guns, one big step for messing with minds.
Uh, a magget ain't going to fugg up a barcode.
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14
The govt. has been experimenting with "chipped" tires that can be read with sensors in the road.
Posted By: Martinstucky Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14
Got a credit card? Hit it with a magnet and then see if it swipes correctly.
It will jack up a magget strip, yeah, but not a bar code.

Sharpie should do that. RFID chip, I dunno..

Plate readers read the alpha/numeric and feed it into a computer which checks everything, warrants, wants, restrictions, etc. Meter maids like dink have been using them for years.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14
seems like every one is into looking at your license plate these days. Speeding and red light cameras, plate photo ID on the turnpike, and now plate tracking by the feds.
Any way to block this?
Youtube and Google offer some possible solutions. I hear that Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic spray paint works best.

Nothing yet to block them that won't get you a ticket for obscured plate(s). The lexan, clear spray paint, tinted covers, etc, all work on the idea of changing the polarity of the image. While they DO change the polarity, the system will identify a dificult-to-read plate and reverse the polarity of the image and, voila (French for "look at this scheit!" grin ) they have your plate.

There's a lot of push-back across the country against LPR technology, but it's too little IMHO.

The next step, if we, the people, succeed in getting these things removed from LE use, is that private companies can still do it and make the information available to anyone who wants it. Pay for it or "donate" it in the name of public service, the issue is still there.
Refer back to Google, et al, collecting data and then turning it over to the NSA.
Ed
Posted By: Redneck Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14

laugh

Well, no WAY will I be goin' through any border checkpoint.. No need. I mainly asked because the design of the new HD I have makes seeing the rear plate a pretty narrow window to use.. Not sure that even a rear-angled cam will pick it up..

In any case, it's no big deal - I stick to back roads anyway and rarely, if ever, get near toll booths, bridges or whatnot..
Posted By: chapped_lips Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14

Back in 2004 when i was exiting Az i had my pickup bed loaded to the gunwales with bullets,brass,primers(160,000),dies and such. Most were in labeled manufacturer's boxes labeled with contents....all uncovered. Behind was my 6'x8'x3' open trailer filled also to the gunwales with my powder cache but covered.
Never had a thought about what i was hauling (even when i passed the westbound Border Patrol station outside of Cruces) but when i spotted the distant BP inspection station there at White Sands Nat'l Park it dawned on me this might be a situation.
It was busy.....lots of cars and vans and pickups.....all slowly inching forward. One car ahead was directed off to the right. Many BP agents present and a dog. The handler and dog went to the car that had been directed off.
When i was approached with the customary citizenship ques i answered USA. The young hispanic agent noticed my NavAir ballcap on the passenger seat and we exchanged vet-to-vet salutations. He walked back to the bed (twin cab) and he could plainly see Winchester,Federal,Remington plus magic marker labels reading Nosler,Sierra,Berger,Speer............
He walked backed and asked where i was headed. I told him my destination and that i was moving.
He nodded and again expressed vet-to-vet compliments and i did the same reminding him to be safe.
I felt fortunate.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Plate Trackers - 04/18/14

I like it when the agents ask me where I've been and where I'm going... laugh

I can get pretty inventive with the replies. wink

I know that feeling and urge. But then I"ve not been anywhere or going anywhere I shouldn't... and don't have time to mess with em.

US Citizens? Yep. Where been? Deer hunting? Get any? A couple. Where going. Home to La Grange. Ok have a safe trip. Thanks and thanks for the job y'all do..... has worked well every time.
© 24hourcampfire