Home
We had some misfortune earlier, our boy died on 4/10 from injuries sustained in a motorcycle wreck on 4/4. He fought hard, and looked promising the first couple of days but the trauma to his brain was to extensive. His helmet was found at the scene, but it's a possibility he didn't have it on. We got the call in the late evening and drove all night, thinking he was being kept alive long enough for us to say goodbye. He did stabilize, but never regained consciousness. The last day his temp went berserk and it was decided there was no brain function left. His wife included me in all the decisions, she asked me if she could disconnect him. So Trud & I said our goodbyes, we left his room and not 30 seconds later he was gone. His wife didn't have to follow through on her decision. He did all of us one final beautiful favor. His first child is probably due within the week.

This kid had a rough life, his real dad died when he was 9mos old, from the time he was 3 I was the only dad he knew. His mom died when he was 18. Shortly after that he joined the Marines, did 2 tours of Iraq and got out a Sgt. He then joined the AZ Nat. Guard full time and did 2 more tours. Came back without a scratch. Seems like a lot of these kids need a constant adrenaline rush when they get back.

He was given a military funeral, the flag was presented by a General, there were over 200 Patriot Guard bikers, at least that many folks in uniform, they also had the wrecker he drove in Iraq at the head of the cars. It took 45 min for all the cars to arrive after we got there. They sent him out with a bang.

The American Legion bike club he was the VP of gave us money for the hotel and enough for a nice stone. These guys were unbelievable. So Trud & I wish to give something back to the club, we're thinking of donating a NIB M-70. We are in NV, I'm wondering if we will hit any legal snags delivering it to AZ (Calling Bricktop!).

He didn't get his life insurance switched over to his wife from me, so we're also dealing with how to get this money to her without paying up to 50% tax. If we get this done, our grandchild should never want for anything. His widow is also in the NG.

We had some great times with him, just not enough of 'em.
Thank you for his service to our country ,may he rest in peace ,may God give you all peace which only he can instill and may his unborn child know how truly great a man he was ,I'm so sorry for your loss
My heart breaks for you and yours. having a hard time typing through the tears. may God give you relief from grief. nothing hurts like losing a child. will keep you in prayers.
Semper Fi brother.
You and yours have my prayers - but I have no answers.
May God bless all of you.

Mark
Sooooo sorry to hear of this.I am not a praying man or religious in any way, but all my thoughts are with you. Religious or not, there are things we simply don't have any kind of acceptable answer for...
There is no way I can fathom your pain.
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Mark

This expresses my emotions far better than I could have on my own. I grieve with all of you. It sounds as if you were a great dad.
Sorry Russ. My thoughts and Prayers to all of you and my Salute to your Boy. Regardless of age, he will always be your boy.
My sincere condolences and gratitude for the courageous and patriotic life you son led. I pray God's peace and healing for you all. It seems words are so empty but somehow grief shared is grief diminished. Godspeed.
If you decline the insurance as a beneficiary, it will then go to probate and go to his wife. But before you do this, make sure there is no secondary beneficiary listed on the policy.

So sorry for your loss.

First of all, you and your family are in my prayers. Secondly, how can I help?

Prayers sent...so sorry for your loss!
13But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 15For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

These are the only words of any comfort to a Christian because they promise you will see him again. My heart goes out to you, as well as my prayers.
Joint bank account.
I like the way you're thinking, Scott.

Only the good die young...
That said, PLEASE ensure when you set up a joint account that she has Right's of Survivorship, else it will go into Probate should you die.

I've seen EVERY WAY a person can [bleep] stuff up with my FIL's death a few weeks ago.
sounds like the best and easyist plan.

prayers sent

norm
Sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers from Arizona.

Sycamore
So sorry for you and the rest of the families loss.
God Bless.
Prayers sent. Regarding insurance a disclaimer might work - best to check with your attorney but will work in some states.
So profoundly sorry to hear this. You have my prayers tonight. Please PM me if there's anything you need help with.

Sincerely,

GG
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by mark shubert

Mark

This expresses my emotions far better than I could have on my own. I grieve with all of you. It sounds as if you were a great dad.

Same here. But just because we don't see the answers doesn't mean they aren't there.
Wow, I am SO very sorry to hear of this. I did not let my son even know I HAD a motorcycle for several years, because I did not want him to get the bug for one.

I can pray, and will. As to how to transfer the money down line, look hard into placing whatever life insurance proceeds come to you into a trust for the wife and especially the kid. IF you make it an irrevocable trust, then even an uninsured long term care stay for you or your wife will not bust the trust so long as it has been in place for more than five years. There are also ways to gift it tax free over time, pretty fast, without taxes due.

I am past president of the Walla Walla Estate Planning Council, feel free to PM me if you would like to and if I can be of some help. I have been retired for almost three years, but I still remember MOST of what I once knew.

Condolances and Prayers,

MARK
I can assure you that your whole family are in my prayers. My heart just breaks reading this.
Prayers on the way.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Joint bank account.

Already done, in her hometown. The IRS might look at this type of situation as a gift, we did convince her family to seek a tax and a probate atty, just in case AZ law differs. It is a substantial amount.
So sorry to hear Rus. Thanks for his service and all the best to his young family and yours.
Surely Goodness and Mercy shall follow......
No words,..........

God Bless and keep you all.

GTC

You got 'em.
Thoughts and prayers for your family in these trying times.
I will be praying for all of you.

Jim
Prayers for you all right now.

There's not an income tax on life insurance proceeds, if that helps any.
Condolences on your loss.
I wish I had words that work, but I don't.

Back to the top to remind all of us to keep praying. I am sure that the pain will be with you for a while, and I will continue to pray.
Very sad to read this post. I'm sorry for your family's loss, and I pray for your healing and comfort..
© 24hourcampfire