Home
Newscaster was talking about Ted Cruz, and said "He was born in Canada, and is therefore ineligible to become President of the US"

I about fell out of my chair.

(I had 3 Budweisers by that time, in the interest of full disclosure)

Sycamore
Well Syc, if that bothered you so much - how far do you fall when somobody reminds you that your hero zero was born in Kenya and is ineligible for the office?
I have heard that, but it seems not to many are concerned. It will be fun to call the liberals "birthers".
Originally Posted by CCCC
Well Syc, if that bothered you so much - how far do you fall when somobody reminds you that your hero zero was born in Kenya and is ineligible for the office?

I am convinced you are not as dumb as you type here, but I know reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Sycamore
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I have heard that, but it seems not to many are concerned. It will be fun to call the liberals "birthers".

But have you heard it on Fox, from an announcer?

That is what I had not heard.

Sycamore
Haven't heard anybody say that officially...

McCain was granted a waiver by congress in 2008 when he ran for Pres, he was born in Panama...

Precedence is set...
His place of birth won't prevent him from becoming President.

He's likely way too conservative to garner the support of the GOP.
"Natural born citizen" means someone who is a citizen by right of birth, as opposed to someone who becomes a citizen through a legal process.

IIRC, Ted was born in Canada, to parents who are US citizens. That would make him a natural born US citizen, and therefore eligible.

Denton is correct as usual.

http://www.wisegeek.org/in-the-united-states-what-is-a-natural-born-citizen.htm

A natural born citizen or natural citizen is someone who is considered a United States citizen from birth. Unlike naturalized citizens, these people do not need to apply for any of the rights of citizenship. They are granted the right to vote at 18, along with all of the other rights and responsibilities associated with citizenship in the United States. In addition, they are permitted to run for the positions of president and vice president, while naturalized citizens are excluded from these roles in American government by law.

There are two different ways in which a natural born citizen can be created. By American law, all people born on American soil are considered citizens. In addition, people who are born overseas to American parents are also classified this way.

Ad
People who are born on American soil are said to have the right of jus soli, and this right is protected in the 14th Amendment to the United States constitution, which specifically states that �all persons born in the United States ... are citizens of the United States.� Jus soli has become a topic of hot discussion in some areas of the United States, because this right is also extended to children born of foreign parents, whether or not they are in the country legally. In the case of children born to illegal immigrants, some people use the derogatory term �anchor baby� to describe a child who is born in the US, under the mistaken belief that illegal immigrants will not be deported if their children are considered American citizens.

For children born abroad, the principle that applies is jus sanguinis, or �rule of the blood,� and the rules can get a bit tricky. If a child is born to two parents who are both American citizens, the case is usually clear, and the parents need only apply for a United States passport on the child's behalf to ensure that his or her citizenship is formally recognized. If only one parent is an American citizen, however, jus sanguinis may or may not apply, and the case must be considered before the child is classified as a natural born citizen.

In situations where only one parent is a United States citizen, he or she must have lived in the United States for at least five years at some point before the child's birth as a full American citizen, and at least two of these five years must have occurred after the parent's 14th birthday. In the case of a child born to an American mother, the child is usually considered a citizen, whether or not the mother is married. If an American father is involved in a relationship with a foreign woman and the couple is not married, however, the father may need to fight for the child's right to citizenship.
Originally Posted by denton
"Natural born citizen" means someone who is a citizen by right of birth, as opposed to someone who becomes a citizen through a legal process.

IIRC, Ted was born in Canada, to parents who are US citizens. That would make him a natural born US citizen, and therefore eligible.

I think his mother was born in the US, his Dad was still a Cuban. I don't know if the mom ever took Canadian citizenship.

That's not the interesting part to me, I was shocked to hear a Fox employee say it as just part of the news.

Sycamore
Cruz was born on December 22, 1970 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada where his parents, Eleanor Elizabeth Wilson Darragh and Rafael Bienvenido Cruz, were working in the oil business. His parents owned a seismic-data processing firm for oil drillers. Cruz's father, who was born in 1939 in Matanzas, Cuba, as Robert T. Garrett of the Dallas Morning News has described, "suffered beatings and imprisonment for protesting the oppressive regime" of dictator Fulgencio Batista. He fought for Fidel Castro in the Cuban Revolution when he was 14 years old, but "didn't know Castro was a Communist." A few years later he became a staunch critic of Castro when "the rebel leader took control and began seizing private property and suppressing dissent." The elder Cruz fled Cuba in 1957 at the age of 18, landing in Austin, becoming a Cuban �migr�, to study at the University of Texas, knowing no English and with $100 sewn into his underwear. His younger sister fought in the counter-revolution and was tortured by the new regime. He remained regretful for his early support of Castro, and emphatically conveyed this remorse to his young son over the following years. The elder Cruz worked his way through college as a dishwasher, making 50 cents an hour, earning a degree in mathematics. Cruz's father today is a pastor in Carrollton, Texas, a Dallas suburb, and became a naturalized U.S. citizen in 2005.

Cruz's mother was born and raised in Wilmington, Delaware, in a family of Irish and Italian descent. She was the first person in her family to attend college. She earned an undergraduate degree in mathematics from Rice University in Houston in the 1950s, working summers at Foley's and Shell Oil. She later worked in Houston as a computer programmer at Shell. Cruz has said, "I'm Cuban, Irish, and Italian, and yet somehow I ended up Southern Baptist."

Cruz's parents returned to Houston in 1974, after working in the Alberta oil fields, when a slump hit the price of oil and they sold their first seismic data company. They divorced while Cruz was in law school.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...under-the-countrys-immigration-rules.ece

By TODD J. GILLMAN Washington Bureau [email protected]
Published: 18 August 2013 11:04 PM
Updated: 19 August 2013 03:51 PM
Related
Ted Cruz

Ralph de la Cruz: As for Sen. Ted Cruz, call him Canadian
Mark Davis: A Cruz-Christie ticket may be the only way to beat Clinton
WASHINGTON � Born in Canada to an American mother, Ted Cruz became an instant U.S. citizen. But under Canadian law, he also became a citizen of that country the moment he was born.
Unless the Texas Republican senator formally renounces that citizenship, he will remain a citizen of both countries, legal experts say.
That means he could assert the right to vote in Canada or even run for Parliament. On a lunch break from the U.S. Senate, he could head to the nearby embassy � the one flying a bright red maple leaf flag � pull out his Calgary, Alberta, birth certificate and obtain a passport.
�He�s a Canadian,� said Toronto lawyer Stephen Green, past chairman of the Canadian Bar Association�s Citizenship and Immigration Section.
The circumstances of Cruz�s birth have fueled a simmering debate over his eligibility to run for president. Knowingly or not, dual citizenship is an apparent if inconvenient truth for the tea party firebrand, who shows every sign he�s angling for the White House.
�Senator Cruz became a U.S. citizen at birth, and he never had to go through a naturalization process after birth to become a U.S. citizen,� said spokeswoman Catherine Frazier. �To our knowledge, he never had Canadian citizenship.�
The U.S. Constitution allows only a �natural born� American citizen to serve as president. Most legal scholars who have studied the question agree that includes an American born overseas to an American parent, such as Cruz.
The Constitution says nothing about would-be presidents born with dual citizenship.
Detractors have derided Cruz as �Canadian Ted,� saying he can�t run for president because he wasn�t born on U.S. soil.
Cruz, a Harvard-trained lawyer and former clerk for the U.S. chief justice, disagrees. He reasserted last week that being an American by birth makes him eligible.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be a reporter.
So far, no one else heard this on FoxPhoenix?

I'm not questioning the accuracy, I thought it was old news and settled long ago.

I was curious about hearing it on Fox. (late on the 9 o'clock broadcast)

Sycamore
Originally Posted by Sycamore
I am convinced you are not as dumb as you type here, but I know reading comprehension is not your strong suit. Sycamore
Syc, you don't know enough to be convinced of anything about me, and for certain you know nothing about my reading comprehension. One thing is for sure - you don't seem to be able to read between the lines. Probably should not watch Fox news if it shocks/bothers you that much.
I stand by my original statement.

I am convinced you are not as dumb as you type here, but I know reading comprehension is not your strong suit. Sycamore

Sycamore
Well Syc, if that bothered you so much � how far do you fall when somebody reminds you that your hero zero was born in Kenya and is ineligible for the office?

I am convinced you are not as dumb as you type here, but I know reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Your hole card has a big hole in it, Syc.

Shows that you have worlds less than average ability to read strangers' character at a substantial distance.

And your "crystal ball" must be a shaving mirror.
another remedial reader? blush

What does character have to do with reading comprehension?

I think I read sign OK on this web site, especially over time. And I have a good memory.

I do get folks with similar screen-names a little confused, esp the less frequent posters.

Unique screen names , and/or frequent posters, not so much.

Intentional smoke screens and blatant emotional appeals are lost on me, I freely admit.

Sycamore
Cruz was born in Canada, and I for one think the founding fathers would say he is not eligible to be president.
IIRC, the Panama Canal Zone (1903�1979) was United States sod when McCain was born there in 1936.
Originally Posted by jwp475

Denton is correct as usual..
Indeed!! smile
He was born in Calgary. His mother was a US citizen and his father was from Cuba. His father was sent to Canada for a short time by his job. The question is what is a natural born citizen, something the courts have never answered. He was given a Canadian birth certificate and citizenship. He's since renounced that citizenship saying he didn't know he even had it since they left Canada when he was very young.

Its important to note that his circumstances are almost identical to Obama's. His mother was a US citizen and he was born in a foreign country (assuming Obama was really born in Kenya). If Cruz is eligible for the presidency because of his mother's citizenship, then so is Obama.
If Cruz is eligible for the presidency because of his mother's citizenship, then so is Obama.

Not quite. There are a few differences. Laws at the time kept Barry's Mother from conveying citizenship if he was born in Kenya, due to her age. And then His Father never was an American Citizen, I don't think. Barry had a Passport as a citizen of another country, most likely, and He never denounced that Citizenship. Hard to tell since all the paper work is sealed. miles
There have been credible reports that Barry's mom had renounced her US citizenship while overseas.
I would be happy as a clam if McCain was not eligible either.
Natural born means in the USA to American citizen parents.
Originally Posted by siskiyous6

No it doesn't.

Travis

It means no Caesareans.!
Originally Posted by deflave

No it doesn't.

Travis

Travis is correct.

This explains it well

I stand by my original statement. Sycamore

Syc, methinks what you are standing by is a big pile of BS - but that self-detector is not comprehending. Maybe time for a tune up.

Sycamore
� I think I read sign OK on this web site, especially over time. And I have a good memory. �

All of us get impressions of others' character, personalities,etc.

Some of us like to know whether our impressions of others are accurate.
Intracranial confidence isn't certainty.

You clearly don't know B from bull foot about CCCC.

Correct. Those of us that know Him, hold Him in high regard. miles
Originally Posted by milespatton

I could say the same thing about Ken.

Unfortunately Sycamore falls back on the same typical liberal defense of calling others stupid when they lack the acumen to prove their point.

It's incomprehensible to refer to someone like Ken as stupid.

It is not comical, but depressing, like the swinging punch of a fighter blinded by having two eyes swollen shut.

It reminds me that monkeys swinging in trees of a jungle would no doubt have considered Einstein walking below to have been a moron.
Originally Posted by eyeball

I could say the same thing about Ken.

Unfortunately Sycamore falls back on the same typical liberal defense of calling others stupid when they lack the acumen to prove their point.

It's incomprehensible to refer to someone like Ken as stupid.

It is not comical, but depressing, like the swinging punch of a fighter blinded by having two eyes swollen shut.

It reminds me that monkeys swinging in trees of a jungle would no doubt have considered Einstein walking below to have been a moron.

Another remedial reader? Gee Whiz fellers, get someone to read it to you and explain it.

Sycamore
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� I think I read sign OK on this web site, especially over time. And I have a good memory. �

All of us get impressions of others' character, personalities,etc.

Some of us like to know whether our impressions of others are accurate.
Intracranial confidence isn't certainty.

I know reading comprehension is not his long suit.

Sycamore
Sycamore
You are absolutely correct he was born in Calgary Alberta Canada of an American mother and IIRC a Porto Rican(sp) or Cuban father. He also given up any claim to Canadian citizenship.
Just saying wasin this same for Sen. McCain when he ran?
Cheers NC
Syc, Syc - you seem like an OK guy, but that repetition eyeball mentioned is getting OLD - like a cracked 78rpm.

Beside that, I don't have any long suit. All 42R.

Now that you have hounded the subject, maybe my reading comprehension is selective - seem to be able to understand everything I read except that stuff you write. Can you elevate your game a bit?
Looks to me like SYC hasn't made his point clear. Here is my attempt......at doing that VERY thing.

The point is...........that FoxNews............is the greatest news since the beginning of mankind when it comes to defending and promoting right-wing causes. There is none better that is edited, screened, plus whatever it takes to get the anti-democrats elected.....period. None, none, none. FoxNews is it.

And, consequently, its to a viewers and supporters dismay to see a bought-into-conservatism FoxNews reporter blasting and discrediting another ultra-conservative's views.......(i.e. TEA Party).

It's wild, outrageous, and doesn't make sense at all. And it speaks loudly about FoxNews' true agenda.
And, consequently, its to a viewers and supporters dismay to see a bought-into-conservatism FoxNews reporter blasting and discrediting another ultra-conservative's views.......(i.e. TEA Party).

They are just trying to uphold the views of the RHINO side of the Republican Party instead of the Tea Party side. If you will remember they were very much pro McCain and Romney. They like Christie a lot too, or at least they did. I do not watch Fox much anymore and tend to get my news from the radio and internet. miles
Newscaster was talking about Ted Cruz, and said "He was born in Canada, and is therefore ineligible to become President of the US"
I about fell out of my chair.
(I had 3 Budweisers by that time, in the interest of full disclosure)

Is Obama really Sycamore's hero...? Has 'he' stated here that he's an Obama supporter...?
Originally Posted by antlers
Is Obama really Sycamore's hero...? Has 'he' stated here that he's an Obama supporter...?

I can't speak to that but I'm surprised he's getting a pass for drinking Budweiser.

Cruz's father was NOT a US citizen when Cruz was born.

from wikipedia:
The elder Cruz worked his way through college as a dishwasher, making 50 cents an hour,[19] earning a degree in mathematics.[25] Cruz's father today is a pastor in Carrollton, Texas,[18] a Dallas suburb, and became a naturalized U.S. citizen in 2005.
Currently, Title 8 of the U.S. Code fills in the gaps left by the Constitution. Section 1401 defines the following as people who are "citizens of the United States at birth:"

Anyone born inside the United States *
Any Indian or Eskimo born in the United States, provided being a citizen of the U.S. does not impair the person's status as a citizen of the tribe
Any one born outside the United States, both of whose parents are citizens of the U.S., as long as one parent has lived in the U.S.
Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national
Any one born in a U.S. possession, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year
Any one found in the U.S. under the age of five, whose parentage cannot be determined, as long as proof of non-citizenship is not provided by age 21
Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is an alien and as long as the other parent is a citizen of the U.S. who lived in the U.S. for at least five years (with military and diplomatic service included in this time)
A final, historical condition: a person born before 5/24/1934 of an alien father and a U.S. citizen mother who has lived in the U.S.
If Cruz is eligible for the presidency because of his mother's citizenship, then so is Obama.

Not quite. There are a few differences. Laws at the time kept Barry's Mother from conveying citizenship if he was born in Kenya, due to her age. And then His Father never was an American Citizen, I don't think. Barry had a Passport as a citizen of another country, most likely, and He never denounced that Citizenship. Hard to tell since all the paper work is sealed. miles

Right. Obama is probably a US citizen. His real problem was all the crap that they had to cover up involving a lifetime of lies and corruption.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Right. Obama is probably a US citizen. His real problem was all the crap that they had to cover up involving a lifetime of lies and corruption.

You mean...he's a professional politician? OMG!

grin

Sycamore
We mean he is a traitor and an imposter.
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by antlers

I can't speak to that but I'm surprised he's getting a pass for drinking Budweiser.

grin blush

I made up for it last night, PBR!

Sycamore
© 24hourcampfire