Home
Posted By: rickinil new winchesters? - 06/16/14
whats up with the new win. mod. 70 s?
where are they made (they moved right?)
and hows the quality?
I know the pads are different anything else?
I want this to be a gift for my s.i.l or do I seak out
a n.i.b. 80 s model for him
thanks for the info!
Posted By: Redneck Re: new winchesters? - 06/16/14
JMVHO, but I'd look for the latter...
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: new winchesters? - 06/16/14
I went from my newest Winchester being an 1892 made in 1894 to a Model 70 made in 1941. And I could see the drop in quality. that 1892 had one hell of a trigger pull.
Posted By: temmi Re: new winchesters? - 06/16/14
One of my sons have a "new" Mod 70 and it is really nice

and

Shoots very well

Snake
Posted By: tddeangelo Re: new winchesters? - 06/16/14
I'm far from a definitive source, but I have an Extreme Weather in 300WSM that has served me quite well, NIB in 2010. My SuperGrade 264WM is from 2012, I believe? Was also NIB, pretty good shooter, and has a chunk of wood on it that made me just have to have it.

I have a smattering of M70's...a prewar, a late transition, a post-war (pre64), an XTR, a Classic, and two FN-made rifles. They're all good shooters and seem to me to be made well. The Classic was the only one that really gave me fits, and that was because of the plastic stock it came "bedded" into when I got it.

I haven't had a single reliability issue with any of them, nor any trouble getting MOA groups from them. The only one that doesn't apply to is the post-war ('54 vintage). It's a 270 that I just acquired yesterday, so I haven't shot it yet.

I wish they would have left the trigger alone, but I can work with the MOA trigger system on the FN guns. I like the time-honored M70 trigger better, both my FN guns are good shooters for me. Digging that stupid hot glue from the set screws ticks me off, but other than that, they seem to do the job well enough.
Posted By: rickinil Re: new winchesters? - 06/16/14
sorry I don't speak cheeseland redneckez
Originally Posted by Redneck
Posted By: OceanBlue Re: new winchesters? - 06/16/14
If I were in the market for a new M70 I would buy one made in South Carolina but not the Portugual models. At least not until I have seen reviews from them being on the market for a couple of years.

If it were not a gift you would probably feel more free to buy a used rifle. I have a classic supergrade and two push feeds and they are flawless.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: new winchesters? - 06/16/14
Originally Posted by rickinil

He says he doesn't like the new ones.
Posted By: rickinil Re: new winchesters? - 06/16/14
LOL! ha!
how does one tell if its a Portugal gun?
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Posted By: Cheesy Re: new winchesters? - 06/16/14
LOL! ha!
how does one tell if its a Portugal gun?
Originally Posted by Cheesy

If it says "BACO" (browning arms company) it is at least SC made and has the new trigger that Redneck hates.

I think I read the Portugal ones say assembled in Portugal, but you have to pull from stock to see. Never handled one zoo that is just internet rumor mill.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: new winchesters? - 06/17/14
In my opinion the best of the model 70's were the Classics made 1992-2006. Although some made in the last couple of years could have issues. All could benefit from a trigger job, but after that are about as good as it gets.

The SC made guns have a better feeling trigger out of the box and I have no real issue with them. Probably just as good, and in many ways better than the older guns. I would have preferred they had kept the older style trigger even though it is not as good out of the box. It was proven and bullet proof. But so far the new design has given no reason to be concerned.

I haven't seen, nor even heard of anyone with one of the Portugal assembled guns. Time will tell, but I'd not be afraid to buy one.
Posted By: eyeball Re: new winchesters? - 06/17/14

The rifle guy said he'd go for the latter choice, JHVHO.
Posted By: Redneck Re: new winchesters? - 06/17/14
You seriously do not know what "latter" means????

OMG.
Posted By: rickinil Re: new winchesters? - 06/17/14
yes id
I don't know jmvho is
I thought maybe you were praying
to jehova or some kinda devil worship

OMFG! ESDF!
hows that for intelligent conversation?
and I did get the (latter)
Posted By: Redneck Re: new winchesters? - 06/18/14
Well, you IS from IL... TEAL....

laugh laugh
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: new winchesters? - 06/18/14
whats up with the new win. mod. 70 s? . . .
I want this to be a gift for my s.i.l . . .

Beware. I think the supremes just ruled it is illegal for you to buy a gun for your s.i.l.
Posted By: tddeangelo Re: new winchesters? - 06/18/14
That's easy in this case....

Take the person to the store, have THEM fill out the paperwork, give them the cash, they buy and keep the firearm, problem solved. Far as I know, they haven't (yet) said you can't buy and keep a firearm using someone else's money. That'd probably irritate credit companies quite a bit if they did!
Posted By: 4ager Re: new winchesters? - 06/18/14
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
whats up with the new win. mod. 70 s? . . .
I want this to be a gift for my s.i.l . . .

Beware. I think the supremes just ruled it is illegal for you to buy a gun for your s.i.l.

No, they didn't. A gift is still a gift and is still legal. His S.I.L. can't pay him in advance to buy the gun for him. That is, and has always been, a straw purchase.
Posted By: rickinil Re: new winchesters? - 06/18/14
well I did find and get a 1980s
featherweight 06 n.o.s. paid the goin rate
so he better appreciate it/me!
© 24hourcampfire