Home
Posted By: smokepole Louis Zamperini passed away - 07/03/14
Anyone read the book? Incredible story.
Posted By: viking Re: Louis Zamperini passed away - 07/03/14
My wife has. She doesn't talk about many but that one she did.
RIP Louis, You are one hell of a man!
If you haven't read the book, you need to. Unbelievable will to live!

RIP.
Great book.
RIP.
Posted By: hatari Re: Louis Zamperini passed away - 07/03/14
"...in 1938, Zamperini set a national collegiate mile record of 4:08 despite severe cuts to his shins from competitors attempting to spike him during the race; this record held for fifteen years.."

Think of what he could have done with modern training?
Was that the book about the B-24 crewmembers that went in the water in the Pacific and were later captured? Great book. RIP
Yep, "Unbroken."

Just my humble opinion, but this place could use more threads about people like Mr. Zamperini, and fewer about 24 HCF forum members whose greatest claim to fame is their presence here,along with the accompanying passel of detractors.
Posted By: efw Re: Louis Zamperini passed away - 07/03/14
Yep my wife read it in her book club and was so enthusiastic that I had to read it. Deeply moving story of a great man who learned his limitations.

He has entered his rest and I have no doubt it is most peaceful.
Amazing guy. His POW time, along with many others, makes me wish we had a few more A-bombs to drop on Japan.
Originally Posted by efw
Yep my wife read it in her book club and was so enthusiastic that I had to read it.

That's funny, me too. Out of the dozen or so she's recommended to me, this was the one worth reading. grin
incredible book and an incredible man. It made me look at Japan in a different light.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Louis Zamperini passed away - 07/03/14
A true American hero.

The book should be required reading at every high school in the US.
Originally Posted by Berettaman
incredible book and an incredible man. It made me look at Japan in a different light.

My dad fought the Japanese in the Phillipines and other islands, close quarters.

He never liked to talk about it but his attitude (not really the right word) toward anything Japanese was unmistakable. The book and other accounts of what they did to prisoners helped shed light on that.
Great book about a man who led an incredible life.

Godspeed Lou.
That is a great book and he was a great man. RIP.
Rest in peace, Mr. Zamperini, sir.
What an amazing man and amazing life. Prolly the most interesting thing for me was how simply hearing a couple of Billy Graham sermons emptied from his soul the gall and bitterness of his captivity and the beatings he suffered and changed his life, literally overnight.
Sounds like a must read, haven't heard the story before.
Will order it tonight. (kindle)
Thanks.
RIP to one of the greatest of the great generation. An Olympian in addition to the rest of the things mentioned above. I agree with Lonny....should be required reading for every high school student.
The book was great and very inspirational. I agree that it ought to be required reading for students.
RIP, Mr. Zamperini.

For those who haven't read Unbroken, it's a great read.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Louis Zamperini passed away - 07/03/14
I would add my recommendation for the book.
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Rest in peace, Mr. Zamperini, sir.

My sentiments, as well.

I believe the movie based on "Unbroken" is due to be released later this year. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. Of all people, Angelina Jolie is directly involved, as director.
Great man, awesome book
Bump to the top.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Bump to the top.

Sorry for the duplicate post Smokepole - I didn't see yours...

The book " UNBROKEN " is a must read, IMHO.

His video interviews are very interesting. Louie in his 90's was still as sharp as a tack!

I hope the movie does him and all WW2 war veterans justice.
No worries BT, this forum needs more threads about men like Mr. Zamperini, and fewer about forum members and police.
© 24hourcampfire